The Dead(er) Sea: Saltiest Catch

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Are only pros and clans playing team league? Every time I've gone in lately it's all people with identical tags that we utterly struggle against. Surely there's other people playing. I and my friends are good, but we're not THAT good. Good golly miss molly do we need global matchmaking.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Are only pros and clans playing team league? Every time I've gone in lately it's all people with identical tags that we utterly struggle against. Surely there's other people playing. I and my friends are good, but we're not THAT good. Good golly miss molly do we need global matchmaking.
I get why you are always a little hesitant to play quad squads when pairs is usually more fun and chill. But yeah, we had a very bad league experience. Started out fine, then it all went down the drain when we had to fight the same team three times, all with a loss. Then we proceeded to lose more after that. I believe we can go toe to toe with the super hardcore clanner types, I think our weapon choices in some ways were less cohesive than the enemy's, and the maps with our weapons made things a bit tricky.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Well... splatfest is over... so I began my splatbrella training

And yes, the core of my "git gud training" involves respawn punisher. While using a splat brella. Don't ask me how it's going. At least while I'm still sober.

Biggest bright side to it all? Humiliating a squidbagging charger. Repeatedly. *double fingers to "big meat"* Ain't so big now little nugget!

"Why you running! Why you running from me like a lil *censored*

*final minute of match*

Oh? Oh! You gonna hide from me now? You gonna hide from me while I ride this tower? Let me hop off this tower right quick! Stop hidin! See? See! Now I just triple splatted your team—GET YOUR *** DOWN HERE!!" ( ꒪Д꒪)ノ

So embarrassed of myself.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Well... splatfest is over... so I began my splatbrella training

And yes, the core of my "git gud training" involves respawn punisher. While using a splat brella. Don't ask me how it's going. At least while I'm still sober.

Biggest bright side to it all? Humiliating a squidbagging charger. Repeatedly. *double fingers to "big meat"* Ain't so big now little nugget!

"Why you running! Why you running from me like a lil *censored*

*final minute of match*

Oh? Oh! You gonna hide from me now? You gonna hide from me while I ride this tower? Let me hop off this tower right quick! Stop hidin! See? See! Now I just triple splatted your team—GET YOUR *** DOWN HERE!!" ( ꒪Д꒪)ノ

So embarrassed of myself.
Just letting you know, Respawn Punisher probably isn't a good idea. It affects you much worse than it does your enemies.

Reactions: Lyn

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Just letting you know, Respawn Punisher probably isn't a good idea. It affects you much worse than it does your enemies.
Personally, I feel like the video creator's discrediting the ability a bit. Feels like he calls it a bad ability because it doesn't suit his aggressive playstyle (which it wasn't even designed for in the first place)

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Personally, I feel like the video creator's discrediting the ability a bit. Feels like he calls it a bad ability because it doesn't suit his aggressive playstyle (which it wasn't even designed for in the first place)
That's not my point. It adds almost a half second more to YOUR respawn time, and additional special gauge loss as well, than it does for those you splat. If a match starts to go against you, those extra penalties are going to really hurt your chances at a comeback. And unlike Ninja Squid which also has a detrimental effect, there's no way to compensate outside of avoiding death at all costs. Even one ill-timed death can spell doom when you're wearing this ability. *coughthattotallyhasnthappenedtomeoranythingcough*

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Yep, the backfire penalties are why I'm wearing it as opposed to the benefits. It's an encouragement tool to play competently, and hopefully learn how to better use the brella.

If it doesn't drive me into a salt-infused madness first. @_@

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
O-o- holy moly, DUDE is in the same lobby! Wow! And he's on my team, gotta do my best here, people are watch-iiiing~!

*is the last guy standing in no less than 30 seconds in the game* O-okay, gotta stay alive for a bit- -gets shot-

Okay, we still have a chance to turn this around! They're getting close, but... what?

*Stingray starts firing 5 meters to the left of me, somehow starts taking damage untill i die* What the f-

-rm immediately dunks-

Well that was that, then!

Ansible

Community Ambassador
*Stingray starts firing 5 meters to the left of me, somehow starts taking damage untill i die* What the f-
Yeah~, I started noticing that too when on the receiving end of a String Ray. Sometimes I'll take some damage from it even though it's way way wa~aaaay off target. What even?! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Sighs. The amount of people still not using high ground in the goldfly rush in Salmon Run is over nine-thousand.
And now I died to some random bs and the last man didn't care to save his bottom parts in the last two seconds. Smfh.

Edit at 12:41pm:
NEVERMIND. That one squidbagger who kept partying all round takes the cake. Him and the doofus crew who spent 80% of the time DEAD. And obviously left me surrounded by that steel eel on low tide so guess what? Had no special to prevent this, so I died. End of story.

Last edited:

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
This is day old salt, but it helps illustrate the sheer BS match making can be in S+ in Splatoon 2.

I had a match, that included:

1. Two enemies who were from the same clan.
2. One was S+ 46 and the other S+ 25.
3. The other two on the team were 11 and 6 I believe, not amazing, but...
4. Our highest was 16 with the rest of us below 5.

Rank isn't everything yada yada yada, but how was that match up remotely fair? We were beaten senseless of course, would not be surprised if the two clanners got on voice chat to coordinate for an easier win. This game needs to take rank and levels into account more when creating teams. I hope this kind of thing gets fixed in the future, because S+ for me has been nothing but an uphill battle. I've gone to check the ranks of each team after most games, and win or lose, I am almost always on the team with the lower ranks.

shudder

Senior Squid
To go along with the above, I was in a couple matches last night in league/twin. It was basically all level 40-50 on our side, the other side was levels like 12-18. Level is definitely not everything obviously but the match was over really fast and I just felt bad for the other side, this is not a good or fair experience for anyone involved. For one side it's extremely boring, for the other side probably extremely frustrating and discouraging. This kind of matchmaking happens all the time too. This will likely just discourage new people from playing the game more.

Global matchmaking also really needs to return. Honestly, the entire online experience with the game is just subpar currently, like borderline inexcusable at times. Splatfest, just like the Wii U, is a mess, it's hard to find teams, DC's all over the place, DC's after matches, having to rejoin. I have teammates that like to play TW and they have incredibly long wait times in lobbies, this wasn't an issue with the first game. Nintendo really needs to pick it up when paid online begins.

SqidVishus

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0563-5067-5130
This is day old salt, but it helps illustrate the sheer BS match making can be in S+ in Splatoon 2.

I had a match, that included:

1. Two enemies who were from the same clan.
2. One was S+ 46 and the other S+ 25.
3. The other two on the team were 11 and 6 I believe, not amazing, but...
4. Our highest was 16 with the rest of us below 5.

Rank isn't everything yada yada yada, but how was that match up remotely fair? We were beaten senseless of course, would not be surprised if the two clanners got on voice chat to coordinate for an easier win. This game needs to take rank and levels into account more when creating teams. I hope this kind of thing gets fixed in the future, because S+ for me has been nothing but an uphill battle. I've gone to check the ranks of each team after most games, and win or lose, I am almost always on the team with the lower ranks.
It's posts like this that make me not regret the decision to play to B- and stop ranked. Managed to do it within one cycle of each type of ranked battle.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Rainmaker. Rain~maker. RAINMAKER~!!! *vigorously shakes fist*

Where is it written on my brella that I'm your last line of defense against the enemy rainmaker bearer?! We all know what route they're taking—because they keep taking the same route—throughout the match—in every match!

Yet yall want to go off somewhere else doing whatever while the bearer is making a run for it? And just leave me by myself to 1v1, 1v2, 1v3, and even 1v4 the push? While I'm busy spamming for "This Way!/Ouch..." for help I should take up a side-gig as a commentator. "Oooh! And that brella and its user wasn't just steamrolled but evaporated in a 4v1. Those cries for help are useless as they pass the 40, they hit the 30, the 20, the 10, up the hill, GET DUNKED ON!!"

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
I believe there is a reason regional matchmaking exists. It does make things run smoother. Although tbh I've had a similar amount of dcs in this game to the first, there is less lag, and that's really nice. Makes things fairer. Sometimes it doesn't feel like I get one shotted by a ttek or N Zap but that happened a lot more in the first game. I've played in a few oriental lobbies and the lag there was atrocious, you had to think you'd gotten the kill, take a step back, and wait for them to die, and even after they died they'd still Be firing shots. I couldn't play ranked like that, a few seconds behind everyone else. Although regional limits options, it does optimise experience when you're actually in the games.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
In a game where it was a good idea to pair me up with three chargers, and the oppressing team is all ink jet. To top it off, on Moray Towers. A slow painful death awaits it's virtue.

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886
I believe there is a reason regional matchmaking exists. It does make things run smoother. Although tbh I've had a similar amount of dcs in this game to the first, there is less lag, and that's really nice. Makes things fairer. Sometimes it doesn't feel like I get one shotted by a ttek or N Zap but that happened a lot more in the first game. I've played in a few oriental lobbies and the lag there was atrocious, you had to think you'd gotten the kill, take a step back, and wait for them to die, and even after they died they'd still Be firing shots. I couldn't play ranked like that, a few seconds behind everyone else. Although regional limits options, it does optimise experience when you're actually in the games.
I played with a couple of Japanese people in Salmon Run the other day, and the lag was palpable! After I picked up an egg it took about a second for the game to register me doing so... No bueno. I couldn't play for long like that. :S It's too bad, 'cause I seldom have friends who have open rooms in Salmon Run. So I got pretty excited. ´;/

Edit: Oh, and, my salt for the day... I played noticeably worse in Salmon Run last night, after having stayed awake for 18 hours and being mega tired... Big fail right there! No more sleepy Salmon Runs for me!

Last edited:

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
It took 20 minutes of waiting to get a game of TW started. No joke, lobby after lobby waiting while people drizzled in until the timer ran out. Once it didn't even do that, i just sat alone in a lobby until the timer ran out on it's own.

But at least i can start games in Ranked.. Yet still there are so few people playing the skill levels vary wildly and whoever gets the best player wins and anything that anyone else does barely matters. And even then, these games are still laggy as all can be, filled with rampant d/c's. Good stuff.

I really want to slap past self across the face for wanting national matchmaking in S1. What a terrible, terrible idea.

P.S. Splatoon 2 is out for over a month and we're already at 15 pages of salt! In comparison, S1's salt thread only has 51, wonder how long it'll take before we will top that one

Jon914

Pro Squid
One of my RM matches yesterday was a "pacifist" 30 second knockout where the opposing team didn't make a single kill.

We all approached the center, they popped the RM, and then for 10 seconds, nobody on either team moved and just stayed in squid form, probably waiting for the other team to make its first move. At some point the RM carrier just started running for it uncontested.

Lyka Phoxx

Full Squid
NNID
Pheodus
It's been a minute, but I have some salt to sprinkle. Been having a lot of good experiences lately combined with not playing most days because of work. So here's the deal:

• I have never been one to complain about certain weapons being used in TW or Ranked and chances are you will never see me calling a weapon OP and whining for a nerf. That said, anyone who mains a Jet Squelcher against my SS Pro can eat a d***!
  • It would be very helpful if my teammates focused more on inking turf than trying to take out the ONE opposing squid trying to spawn camp while his teammates are on the other end of the map. Sorry, but I'll take a 4v3 opportunity over the one squid trying to distract us into losing turf, thank you very much.
This is probably my most controversial and unpopular salt yet, so please bear with me. I am only going to say a few things on the matter and then I will never address it again going forward, not even in response. So...

To all of our LGBTQ friends, our Trans friends especially, I mean no disrespect and I preemptively apologize if it comes off as such regardless. Contrary to whatever is being implied by young people who are trying to string words together on the issue, I DO NOT have a problem with you expressing your LGBTQ pride and positivity. You people are awesome. If you have more art to post, then post away. The real problem that I see is the inability to acknowledge that a lot of us, myself included, literally do not care about said pride and positivity and for some reason, our expressed indifference is mistakenly seen as harassment or hate.

This is my most honest opinion, so take it for what you will. There is a saying I like to use that goes "A rich man never tells people he's rich." I feel that the need to constantly tell others about your sexuality & identity makes me question your maturity, let alone, your emotional security regarding said sexuality & identity. I am convinced now, especially with this second wave of posts, that this is less a celebration of LGBTQ pride and positivism and more a brigading tactic by SJW trolls from the various social media echo chambers from which they reside. I really cannot emphasize enough how little incentive there is to convince numerous strangers playing a video game about kids and squids that, specifically, "you are Transsexual and proud of it." But chances are you are, or come off as, too full of yourselves to understand that. The thing is rather than sending a positive message to us about LGBTQ pride and positivism, what you are doing is actually irritating the hell out of us with it. We care about your cause, there is no doubt. But the moment it feels like you are forcing an issue is the moment we tune out of said issue. Which is why it seems to feel like the collective response to the matter involves yelling, DUDE, WHATEVER! or GO AWAY, PLEASE! As far as I'm concerned, you wanted our attention, you got our attention, now let's move on to the next set of memes, shall we?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom