• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Dead(er) Sea: Saltiest Catch

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Is it just me, or are chargers just kinda bleh in solo queue? Like you need to get good ground control for them to do their work, but if you can't get that they're dead weight.
Blasters work a similar way, as they cannot turf for themselves, but I can see what you're saying here.

Chargers in splat 1, were the gods of certain maps. Like Moray, or Bluefin Depot. As they could smite the mortals from across the map easily, and cover their flanks (if there were any) with partial charges. In this game though, there are multiple flanking routes and opportunities for your opponents to get behind you. As, I was predominantly a charger main in splat 1, I played the charger in splat 2 and grew to dislike playing it. Just because flanks are very common, and a lot of the "meta" weapons right now are fast weapons that aren't easy to hit.

It's really just a sick joke to be honest with you. The charger is so map and team dependent these days, where as back in splat 1, charger fit on pretty much every team, and most of the maps catered to it. As for tournament play, chargers are still being used, but in much less occasions. The only one you really see is firefin, due to how good suction rush is for map control, and splash wall is good for a charger. But I have yet to see a brave soul use an E-Liter in tournament. Not even on Moray, do I see the ranged beasts.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Blasters work a similar way, as they cannot turf for themselves, but I can see what you're saying here.

Chargers in splat 1, were the gods of certain maps. Like Moray, or Bluefin Depot. As they could smite the mortals from across the map easily, and cover their flanks (if there were any) with partial charges. In this game though, there are multiple flanking routes and opportunities for your opponents to get behind you. As, I was predominantly a charger main in splat 1, I played the charger in splat 2 and grew to dislike playing it. Just because flanks are very common, and a lot of the "meta" weapons right now are fast weapons that aren't easy to hit.

It's really just a sick joke to be honest with you. The charger is so map and team dependent these days, where as back in splat 1, charger fit on pretty much every team, and most of the maps catered to it. As for tournament play, chargers are still being used, but in much less occasions. The only one you really see is firefin, due to how good suction rush is for map control, and splash wall is good for a charger. But I have yet to see a brave soul use an E-Liter in tournament. Not even on Moray, do I see the ranged beasts.
Yeah, it feels like the devs really hated chargers, haha. The changes they've made to chargers made me drop them too in the transition from S1 to S2. It's lack of options in dealing with close-ranged threats means it has to sit on a perch all day because it cannot afford to get close at all, what with the numerous routes that allow you to get flanked. Meanwhile, Heavies can still kill with 1/3 charges. I really wonder if chargers will see any tournament presence at all once the Heavy Deco comes out.

The E4K has been nerfed to the ground, in both sets, map design and that damage up isn't a thing anymore. The E4K sacrifices so much in order to get those extra bit of range in, but if the maps won't let them exploit the extra bits of range then what's the point in using it?
This is also something that bothers me, but uncharged shots are so worthless in this game. It only caps at 80 damage rather than 100, so even using it as a finisher doesn't work because it deals so little damage. There's no strategic value to it.

Playing as the E4K is an absolute joke in Salmon Run. It's so terrible. It only fires 3 shots before it needs to refill, needs several centuries to charge up and that's only for a few digits of extra range. It simply dies if there's smallfry or other small mobs chasing after it. Uncharged shots deal so little damage compared to fully charged it's never worth it to not have it charge all the way, and that's going to take ages. And it's the only normal weapon that slows you down. Combine it with a fog wave and it becomes totally useless.
People have been complaining about the carbon and H3 being bad at SR, but E4K sucks the hardest out of all of them. It's such a bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad weapon.

Last edited:

Jon914

Pro Squid
Getting the scoped E-Liter in solo Salmon Run is.... no fun. I can be self-sufficient with anything but this slow piece of .... art. Can't trust strangers there, really.
It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the stage (Lost Outpost) being a mismatch for it unless it's low-tide. Scope aside, you don't need that kind of range on that map, and half the time, mooks are nipping at your heels because there are so few safe spots / height differences to work with.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the stage (Lost Outpost) being a mismatch for it unless it's low-tide. Scope aside, you don't need that kind of range on that map, and half the time, mooks are nipping at your heels because there are so few safe spots / height differences to work with.
I know, I know. It's just that you're at the mercy of strangers on high tide due to how to map works - but I managed to get really great crews hours after my post and the E-Liter was a blessing then. So let me correct my statement, my hate is really where the Nozzlenose is at - I strongly dislike the need to hammer ZR as a primary means of fire. The weapon isn't good or bad objectively, I just strongly dislike how it handles. :D

Foxtrot

Full Squid
I didnt mind playing with the E4K in SR until it came down to the small fries. Those things are literally impossible to kill with any charger and with the E4K its even worse. I honestly wonder how the weapons are even chosen for shifts tbh. Some shifts you'll have a amazingly balanced set that fits the map, other times you'll have the Carbon Roller or E4K putting you in a situation where one team mate might as well be useless.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
I didnt mind playing with the E4K in SR until it came down to the small fries. Those things are literally impossible to kill with any charger and with the E4K its even worse. I honestly wonder how the weapons are even chosen for shifts tbh. Some shifts you'll have a amazingly balanced set that fits the map, other times you'll have the Carbon Roller or E4K putting you in a situation where one team mate might as well be useless.
Yes, small fry is terrible. Stay close to someone being able to deal with em whenever possible and throw a bomb otherwise - bombs are an underrated lifesaver in Salmon Run.

Reactions: the

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I wouldn't have a problem with the e-liter in salmon run if it were the unscoped version. The scope zooms in when I'm shooting and because of the tiny layout I can't see a damn thing!

D

Deleted Member

3x I disconnect 10 seconds before the match ends in ranked
2x I wipe the whole team and I disconnect
2x The game errors for no reason right before I could slam a win
I'M LOSING IT BOTH LITERALLY AND METAPHORICALLY

oh but letting my connection go smoothly while I'm losing is just fine.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
In this new Salmon run rotation, you might be lucky and get a great team comp that might get 3 Grizzco Blasters and one good extra, and sometimes you might get team comp like this:

This was during low tide in the fog, and to rub it in some more...

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
Not my salt, but a report from Troublesome Friend.
True Nightmare Round (tm) has been FOUND.

Salmon Run, Nightmare Round mode.

FOUR CHARGERS.

Debbie

Senior Squid
NNID
MissRora
Gee~ that Grizzco blaster looks like fun... wish I could get a turn with it! *pouts*
I hope you do too. If all blasters had that fire rate, I'd actually use them in other modes. May the Random Number Gods show you mercy and not give you the same weapon for 2 waves out of each match... *grumble*

SonnyBlueBalls

Full Squid
NNID
ReaganMcClellan
I get salty when I realize that I can't date my inkling. : ( She's so hot why can't she be real?
Real Advice: Assuming your not 13 YO; I think there is a few places in Africa & the Middle East where the age of consent is NOGAF...

BTW is a joke... Please don't.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
My Teammates don't know how to play Kelp Dome. The Enemies got into our base and all our teammates were standing in the middle.

swimmingknife

Semi-Pro Squid
At first I thought the randomised weapons idea for Salmon Run was kind of fun. Then I had multiple Runs where I got stuck with a scoped E-Liter for two waves out of three. I'm still not against the idea in principle, but they really need to add some sort of algorithm to make sure that the same player can't get the same weapon multiple times.

Also, how the **** are there still people that don't know to use the Sting Ray on the Mothership? Mothership rounds should be a free win, instead we got wiped on the first wave.

Last edited:

Maave

Inkling Commander
Getting a lllliiiiiiitle tired of facing two Heavy Decos every other match.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
The map is displayed, each team is shown, the "ready?" screen comes up, and poof, a teammate is gone. That can only ever be a ragequit. Don't you just love when people ruin a match before it starts? I pretty much never ragequit, but when that happens and the odds are insurmountable, I just won't bother - especially if someone else leaves as well. It's almost like people refusing to play the game hurts the morale of those left behind!

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
In this new Salmon run rotation, you might be lucky and get a great team comp that might get 3 Grizzco Blasters and one good extra, and sometimes you might get team comp like this:

I had a round like this as well - except I had the Dynamo Roller instead the H-3. It was high tide first wave as well.

In fact, I even had high tide 5 waves in row this session (this awful team comp was not a part of that chain, thank goodness).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom