• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Dead(er) Sea: Saltiest Catch

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
You know what? This is the worst splatfest I've ever had. I'll take the old splatfests where I constantly got paired with level 1s over this. Those at least had well-designed stages. Shifty Station is just awful, and you can't get away from it.

SH101

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8123-4313-8823
+1 here on the shifty station hate.. Been loosing a lot.. Also, feel like i’m the only one over level1 15 that picked warewolf..

iced potato

Senior Squid
Once I get to King/Queen, I think I'm just gonna be done with this Splatfest because of this Shifty Stations design.

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886
Marina is absolutely garbage at designing Shifty Stations. I HATE this map with my entire being. It is without a doubt, the most unfun map I've ever had the displeasure of playing in a multiplayer game. "B-but this map from this one shooter is worse!!" no it isn't. This Shifty Station is the worst map design ever, I wanna vomit. I've gotten mirror matches, and Im on a horrible losing streak from constantly losing by 1% EACH. TIME. I had no idea it was this possible to be unhappy with the game, but believe me, I've reached a new low. Shifty Station was a mistake, Shifty Station is garbage, Shifty Station is bad map design, Shifty Station ruined Splatfest.
I don't know how the Shifty Station in US' Splatfest looks like (ooor, is it the same one as the one us Europeans had in the toilet paper Splatfest?), but your post made me giggle so I had to give it a thumbs up anyway. ;D

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
I'll be the first to say that I feel as though team Werewolf was the wrong pick. My teammates seem to consistently decide to just stop at two minutes into a match or just not really try at all. Maybe I'm just really unlucky with the teams I become a part of, but this is becoming a sad reminder of the Flight v. Invisibility Splatfest for me.

I liked the first two Shifty Stations plenty when I got to play them! Even with my bad time on the Flight v. Invisibility fest, I did like the inoffensive design for the Shift Station. This one left me with the impression that it wasn't meant to be taken seriously. Marina, I love ya! But you gotta do better than this! Perhaps her designs were less obtuse, but then her publisher came in and decided that some changes needed to be made for...business reasons. No, I'm not bitter about Shadow of War or Star Wars: Battlefront 2. Not at all! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I think this Splatfest ends when I get my King/Queen. Between bad teammates and an iffy shifty Station design, I'm ready for the results so I can get back to solo queue and back to my Charger practice!

swimmingknife

Semi-Pro Squid
I've never been much of a drinker, but after playing on this Shifty Station I get the impression that I know what being completely wasted is like. Everything's spinning and I have no clue what the **** is going on.

I just hit King in the Splatfest. For the most part I get the impression I had a pretty good run; I only had to deal with Shifty Station 7 times in the 37 matches I played. I had to deal with quite a few mid-match disconnects, which was annoying. But they were the first I've had to deal with in my entire time with the game, so again, I'm probably coming out ahead as far as luck is concerned. Hilariously enough, most of my disconnects happened on Shifty Station. It's like not even the game itself wants to deal with that stage and its bull****.

That said, the ending. Jesus. ****ing. Christ. THE ENDING. I'd already been struggling with this Splatfest; I've been feeling pretty demotivated in general lately and I hadn't played the game in a couple of weeks, so I wasn't exactly at my best. I did pretty well for the most part, but as soon as I got within 16 points of maxing out my rank I hit a huge losing streak. Even though a couple more wins would have finished off the Splatfest, it took me six matches to get one. I had to sit there and watch my progress bar crawl up the last tiny sliver like a ****ing snail, two points at a time, until I finally got into a match I managed to win. Thankfully most of those losses were mirror matches, so they won't have impacted my Splatfest team too badly, but it still put a rage-inducing end on what was (for me at least) an otherwise okay Splatfest.

iced potato

Senior Squid
I've reached Vampire Queen, so I'm done with this Splatfest. I want the results and my Super Sea Snails now!

Besides the horrendous design choice for Shifty Stations (which thankfully I didn't play on too much) this Splatfest wasn't really too bad for me in the end. I won 20 games, lost 9 and 3 of those lost games were due to having 1 or 2 disconnecting teammates, so I think I did pretty well for Team Vampires.

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886
Good to hear, @iced potato! I hope the Vampire team will win, I would've definitely chosen to have been a vampire had I been given the chance. (㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)

I didn't have a great time in turf wars today... *sniffle~* I finally reached the Super Fresh status with my Splattershot Jr. (and that was of course a great thing, so the day began well!) so I thought the next weapon should be the Inkbrush. I've used the Herobrush Replica so much, so I thought it'd go well. Mwell, it went perfectly fine at first, but then I had a long string of losses... I honestly don't know how many. Maybe it coincided with yesterday's release of the Custom E-liter 4k? Inkbrush doesn't fare well against long ranged weapons. In the last game, all four of my teammates were using short range weapons and all the peeps in the other team were using powerful, long ranged ones. I decided to call it quits after that match. ;*p

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
I'm glad to hear that you guys are winning so many matches. I've not had that sort of luck with this Splatfest. Like I said, I think I chose the wrong team. Most of my matches are a huge struggle, even when I am playing well. Though I admit that working for eight hours and then jumping into Splatfest probably wasn't the smartest thing in the world to do. Could also just be that I am not that good at the game. Whatever the case may be, I need to push for the max rank so I can call it a good'un.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
I have so many Turf War matches where my team is strongly in control throughout the match, but near the end, I get splatted in a moment that seems to ultimately decide the fate of the match and my team loses. It's just a frustrating thing that seems to happen too often and makes me feel like I screwed up big.
I have a lot of these matches myself. It gets to you after it happens a few times. Pretty much sums up my experience with this Splafest.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
Rainmaker A rank, 1 win away from ranking up.
1 crack, okay lets do this!
-Lost 1 time due my team getting bodied by an earo, (don’t ask my how) after i just traded with a brush.
-Lost 1 due sudden extreme lag.
-Lost 2 due crappy teammates/weapons balance. (hooray for 2 chargers)
-Lost 2 wich was on my end i admit.

And then RIP potential A+ rank.
I was pretty salty but i managed to fill 60% of the bar with 1 crack (3 loses) somehow again atleast.
now until i dare to play again. xD

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Rainmaker A rank, 1 win away from ranking up.
1 crack, okay lets do this!
-Lost 1 time due my team getting bodied by an earo, (don’t ask my how) after i just traded with a brush.
-Lost 1 due sudden extreme lag.
-Lost 2 due crappy teammates/weapons balance. (hooray for 2 chargers)
-Lost 2 wich was on my end i admit.

And then RIP potential A+ rank.
I was pretty salty but i managed to fill 60% of the bar with 1 crack (3 loses) somehow again atleast.
now until i dare to play again. xD
I've had a string of these types of games recently, too. Zero or no cracks with a win or two away from ranking up... and then weirdness. Actually, fun story. I encountered @Saber in the wild during one of these things. His team's out of no where overtime win over my team in Splat Zones ranked started a huge losing streak where I broke the meter.

The most common theme in these losing streaks was weird weapon compositions. I'm not sure if Nintendo is able to account for this kind of thing in match making, but it's a real problem.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Aerosprays, sploosh-o-matics, dualies, and whatever turf machines you're totin'... if I am the highest (or even second highest) inker on a solo queue splatfest team... with a BAMBOOZLER, we deserve to lose!

/( .□.) ︵╰(゜益゜)╯︵ /(.□. /)/(.□. /)

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
This Shifty Station has a worse choke point problem than Urchin Underpass 1.0
If I can make another comparison, it has a worse choke point problem than most maps in Overwatch.
Seriousely it's that bad. Did they even play test it? As one of my friends said...
''Oh yeah they like designed it in MS Paint or some **** and they said 'yeah it looks cool put it in the game'''

Marina was too salty for the other Splatfest losses so she made that really crappy stage. Best reason I can come up with

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Well, I can say it makes me feel better about my own cruddy matches, knowing everyone's in the same boat :P I doubt it will change Nintendo's plans but they have got to be noticing the heaps of negative feedback this stage has received.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
It's like they designed a stage around the most annoying trick antics that Turf players use, and they patted themselves on the back for it. At least make it so it has only one revolving choke point and the other side is more open. I mean, come on.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
It's like the designed a stage around the most annoying trick antics that Turf players use, and they patted themselves on the back for it. At least make it so it has only one revolving choke point and the other side is more open. I mean, come on.
Apparently the toilet paper splatfest DID only have one choke point... and it wasn't open. I heard horror stories of team wipes caused by a single baller. QUALITY GAME DESIGN!

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Apparently the toilet paper splatfest DID only have one choke point... and it wasn't open. I heard horror stories of team wipes caused by a single baller. QUALITY GAME DESIGN!
Seems like they stuck to the toilet paper theme too closely because that level sounds like it's s...nevermind.

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886
Seems like they stuck to the toilet paper theme too closely because that level sounds like it's s...nevermind.
Thanks for the good laugh, I needed that. :D Now I need to go to YouTube to watch this monstrosity in action.

Edit: Urgh, I see what you mean! Makes me think of being inside a washing machine. D:

Last edited:

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
At least it's good to know while we EU folk didn't get the same Shifty Station as you US people, they were both equally horrible. Hooray!

Here's the layout of our version, for those curious enough

It really was one choke point with a bunch of ink lines and sponges scattered around. Since there is only one choke, the entire team is there almost for the entire match until someone drops a baller/splashdown and slays them all. And because of the sponges in the middle, most long-ranged weapons become completely useless because you spend most of your time watching your bullets disappear inside your own teammates.

And should you score that wipe, victory is almost assured because the enemy team will have to pass through the dreaded choke point in order to win which is going to be nearly impossible.

It was a really dumb map and I'm glad it's gone now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom