• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Dead(er) Sea: Saltiest Catch

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Sooooooooooo...I think I saw some posts like this, but I wanna ask. Does Turf War give anybody anxiety now? Lately I've been romanticizing the Turf Wars of old, and I know that isn't a very smart thing to do. The specials were brutal and game changing, there was fewer counterplay to specials, Chargers really tore you a new one and it felt impossible to beat them, Dynamo Rollers, Gals, Damage Up, and spawn camping were the dominant norm, but...they were STILL peaceful and somewhat relaxing at times. You marched into Turf War, confident that it wasn't gonna be a grueling, unsatisfying, heart pounding experience where even if you win you feel like you lost. If you wanted to torture yourself like that, you'd head on over to Ranked Battle and suffer there. Turf War was still fun and enjoyable.

I've crammed some 400 hours into Splatoon 2 and about 300 into Splatoon 1, I think. But I did my best to do away with the rose tinted glasses and really think to myself, "did I really enjoy the Turf Wars more back then than I do now?" and I genuinely think the answer is yes. Turf War now is just so brutal, so fast, so much CONFLICT. The meta of Ranked and League Battle heavily bleed over into it, it's splat squids ink turf later, might makes right and splatting can commonly rise in the double digits.

It just kinda...sucks right now. I wouldn't be able to play a single Turf War without fighting overaggressive players and losing the game off of getting picked off from genuinely unavoidable conflict. I have no issue with getting punished for getting splatted, but here's my problem. Avoiding conflict was truly possible in Splatoon 1. Winning a Turf War with a low splat count was a real possibility and happened many times, actually! People used ANYTHING in old Turf Wars. The meta was definitely there, but Ranked Battle and Turf War players were quite distinguished at times. Now it just feels like everybody treats Turf War like Ranked Battle practice, everybody splats first and asks questions later, it isn't PEACEFUL anymore. There's no "winding down" in Turf Wars, it's just endless brutality in that mode, and it's really starting to have an effect on me. It's starting to make me seriously disillusioned with the game. I'm a Turf War fanatic, I've spent 90%+ of my multiplayer experience on both Splatoon and Splatoon 2 on Turf Wars. I loooooove Turf Wars.

Look, what I'm trying to say, I really miss how things used to be. I miss semi-peaceful Turf Wars, I seriously miss not needing to have my splat count be at least 6 to feel like I'm contributing, I REALLY miss being able to relax and not be abused my the stress of these high intensity Turf Wars. Am I being a bit nostalgic? I don't think so, I do remember Splatoon 1's problems, I remember them VERY well. I could never forget them, but a lot of the times nowadays, I really wanna go back. Back to Summer of 2015 and have things be not so brutal and intense.

Sorry if this post sounded emotional, but you gotta understand. Splatoon is my life, and lame as that sounds. And having your favorite mode become tarnished and violating the philosophy of the game (shoot the ground! you don't NEED to kill. You can win without killing!). I really wanna know if anybody here feels the same way, cos this feeling is becoming really overwhelming, and the worst part is, I have no idea how to fix it. I truly am at a complete loss at how to fix this issue.

If you see this post and you're turned off by the massive wall of text, PLEASE consider reading and telling me how you think. If you disagree, agree completely, or are happy with the way things are, say so! I wanna know how other people think of this right now. Thanks for reading my big fat wall of text.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Sooooooooooo...I think I saw some posts like this, but I wanna ask. Does Turf War give anybody anxiety now? Lately I've been romanticizing the Turf Wars of old, and I know that isn't a very smart thing to do. The specials were brutal and game changing, there was fewer counterplay to specials, Chargers really tore you a new one and it felt impossible to beat them, Dynamo Rollers, Gals, Damage Up, and spawn camping were the dominant norm, but...they were STILL peaceful and somewhat relaxing at times. You marched into Turf War, confident that it wasn't gonna be a grueling, unsatisfying, heart pounding experience where even if you win you feel like you lost. If you wanted to torture yourself like that, you'd head on over to Ranked Battle and suffer there. Turf War was still fun and enjoyable.

I've crammed some 400 hours into Splatoon 2 and about 300 into Splatoon 1, I think. But I did my best to do away with the rose tinted glasses and really think to myself, "did I really enjoy the Turf Wars more back then than I do now?" and I genuinely think the answer is yes. Turf War now is just so brutal, so fast, so much CONFLICT. The meta of Ranked and League Battle heavily bleed over into it, it's splat squids ink turf later, might makes right and splatting can commonly rise in the double digits.

It just kinda...sucks right now. I wouldn't be able to play a single Turf War without fighting overaggressive players and losing the game off of getting picked off from genuinely unavoidable conflict. I have no issue with getting punished for getting splatted, but here's my problem. Avoiding conflict was truly possible in Splatoon 1. Winning a Turf War with a low splat count was a real possibility and happened many times, actually! People used ANYTHING in old Turf Wars. The meta was definitely there, but Ranked Battle and Turf War players were quite distinguished at times. Now it just feels like everybody treats Turf War like Ranked Battle practice, everybody splats first and asks questions later, it isn't PEACEFUL anymore. There's no "winding down" in Turf Wars, it's just endless brutality in that mode, and it's really starting to have an effect on me. It's starting to make me seriously disillusioned with the game. I'm a Turf War fanatic, I've spent 90%+ of my multiplayer experience on both Splatoon and Splatoon 2 on Turf Wars. I loooooove Turf Wars.

Look, what I'm trying to say, I really miss how things used to be. I miss semi-peaceful Turf Wars, I seriously miss not needing to have my splat count be at least 6 to feel like I'm contributing, I REALLY miss being able to relax and not be abused my the stress of these high intensity Turf Wars. Am I being a bit nostalgic? I don't think so, I do remember Splatoon 1's problems, I remember them VERY well. I could never forget them, but a lot of the times nowadays, I really wanna go back. Back to Summer of 2015 and have things be not so brutal and intense.

Sorry if this post sounded emotional, but you gotta understand. Splatoon is my life, and lame as that sounds. And having your favorite mode become tarnished and violating the philosophy of the game (shoot the ground! you don't NEED to kill. You can win without killing!). I really wanna know if anybody here feels the same way, cos this feeling is becoming really overwhelming, and the worst part is, I have no idea how to fix it. I truly am at a complete loss at how to fix this issue.

If you see this post and you're turned off by the massive wall of text, PLEASE consider reading and telling me how you think. If you disagree, agree completely, or are happy with the way things are, say so! I wanna know how other people think of this right now. Thanks for reading my big fat wall of text.
You definitely hit many notes I can't help but feel myself. I've sorta made peace with Turf being much more aggressive and brutal in this game, mainly due to my constant ranked and league play. I still prefer not to go out for blood if I can do more by inking in turf, but usually I must get a good amount of kills or get killed myself too much. I haaaaate overly aggressive players, expecially in turf war. You know the ones, the Splattershots that rush up and use their burst bombs with intense vigor, or the Splooshes who are magnetically attracted to your own inkling and MUST rush you with their splashdown if possible. Matches against those players tire me out mentally to be honest. Especially if I'm in a turf war mindset.

However, there is so much to this game that I prefer over the first that I simply cannot go back to the original without yearning for 2. As brutal as turf may be, I rarely have a match where I feel I simply cannot win because a S+99 eliter isn't perched up and shooting me through walls. I liked going to my own little corner and inking in the first game, I miss it a lot, but the game is still the same at the core, and still very fun.

I don't blame you for feeling nostalgic for the first game, sometimes I miss the "good ol' days" but it's also important to reflect more on what they've changed for the better.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I maybe nostalgic and misremembering, but for now: co-sign like a mofo.

I'm disastrously coming down from a day of multiple Turf War sessions that often involved repelling rushdown after rushdown after rushdown after rushdown, because the prevailing strategy everyone desires like some thirsty teenager is to smash the opposing team as many times as possible then maybe, just maybe, ink arena sometime in the future.

My nostalgia remembers that if you disengaged from a fight your team wasn't immediately pushed into a disadvantageous position because you opted out, retreated, or had a different idea. So the current state of Turf War has been screwing with my own desired, still searching, playstyle. I don't like playing aggressively. For me, it takes too much energy, becomes outright boring, and I lose my imagination trying to forcibly lockdown or lockout the other team because I'm forced or carried into confrontations rather than just "playing" and inking.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
You definitely hit many notes I can't help but feel myself. I've sorta made peace with Turf being much more aggressive and brutal in this game, mainly due to my constant ranked and league play. I still prefer not to go out for blood if I can do more by inking in turf, but usually I must get a good amount of kills or get killed myself too much. I haaaaate overly aggressive players, expecially in turf war. You know the ones, the Splattershots that rush up and use their burst bombs with intense vigor, or the Splooshes who are magnetically attracted to your own inkling and MUST rush you with their splashdown if possible. Matches against those players tire me out mentally to be honest. Especially if I'm in a turf war mindset.

However, there is so much to this game that I prefer over the first that I simply cannot go back to the original without yearning for 2. As brutal as turf may be, I rarely have a match where I feel I simply cannot win because a S+99 eliter isn't perched up and shooting me through walls. I liked going to my own little corner and inking in the first game, I miss it a lot, but the game is still the same at the core, and still very fun.

I don't blame you for feeling nostalgic for the first game, sometimes I miss the "good ol' days" but it's also important to reflect more on what they've changed for the better.
I'm trying my hardest to press on and accept that at least things are better now in some ways, but Splats just has a way of replacing all the issues I loathed and am happy are gone with brand new overbearing, oppressive issues. I'll keep packin in the hours in the game, I wouldn't reach 410 hours if I didn't.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz

Admittedly this is from the perspective from someone who started with the second game. When I just started Splatoon 2, things used to not be so brutal. I spent alot of time in Turf War, and things never felt stressful until I started doing Ranked like it should. I would return to Turf War, and it would be there to calm me down from some irritating Ranked sessions. I would just chill out and paint until someone engages me. They didn't go for me, we just happened to cross each others' paths and engaged.

It just changed after a while. I'm not even sure what caused it. If I don't kill everything that moves, I'll get locked into my base and spawncamped. Because of this, my automatic reaction is to kill anything that isn't my color. It usually goes two ways. I either get demolished, or I go against low-leveled players. If I'm against low-leveled players, I end up going kill-happy without realizing I'm fighting against newbies until shortly after. So I either feel frustration or deep guilt.

I don't hate what Turf War turned into. Playing against better, more aggressive players will hopefully help me improve. I just wish I knew which kind of lobby I was thrown into, so I won't ruin funtime for newbies.

Now Salmon Run is the mode for "relaxing". Atleast you're not competing with anyone.

Absolutely Absol

Pro Squid

Yup, I've avoided conflicts in Splatoon's Turf War and Splatoon 2's beginning several times. Now it's all aggressive. Often I had double dights of splats. I've seen some players (or whole team) gone straight to opponent's spawn base first. This ain't a causal mode anymore.

Gee, I find Salmon Run relaxing, too, even I'm on Profreshional rank.

iced potato

Senior Squid
What I enjoy about Splatoon is that it's a shooter unlike any other shooter out there. I enjoy the inking turf aspect, but Turf War has changed from the first game, it's now all about aggressively rushing straight to the center and killing anything that moves.

Maybe if there was another regular battle mode added alongside Turf War that was all about getting the most splats, Turf War would feel more chill again since that would satisfy those with a bloodlust.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
Y'know, I had that same perspective about Turf Wars not too long ago. How things seem to be lees about Turf and more about tactics and war games.

"Why can't things be like they were in S1 where you could avoid conflict and just do your inking territory thing in peace?"

It does seem to hit a strange cognitive dissonance when you realize that the mode often referred to as casual is now so rife with battle and the thought of dominance. But take a step back and think more clearly about it. I may be wrong about this, but indulge the words of a man looking to play devil's advocate for a bit. Did Turf Wars really change, or have we changed? Don't get me wrong, I had many of the same complaints about Turf Wars. Compaints if you will. It got too aggressive. It wasn't fun anymore. Where is the comedown period in this almost nightmarish brawl for glory and eternal rest in the halls of Valhalla? Here's the catch. I had many of these complaints during my time with the first game. It wasn't anything new for me. I had seen this once before and went into this knowing that the game's Turf Wars would change into a kill crazy blood...ink bath. In the first instance I had all of the same complaints as are being stated now. When it happened again in this game I got to thinking about it more carefully and came to this conclusion: "It isn't Turf Wars that changed, but rather we did when we rose our level."

Think about it. When you first started playing Splatoon, you found ways to avoid conflict and just get Turf inked. You could just go off into your corner and daydream about the pretty squid you met the other day and still be effective for your team with minimal combat necessary. As we leveled up, we found ourselves up against higher level squids ourselves. Squids with more experience. Squids with with something to prove and perhaps a chip on their shoulders. Squids who more aggressively take to their objectives, for better or worse. It became a hassle and I found myself often asking the same question about the good ol' days.

"Where did you go, peaceful Turf Wars? You didn't say goodbye, you didn't write a letter. I didn't even receive a postcard! You were just gone!"

It was during my time starting Splatoon 2 that I noticed something. The violent, aggressive nature of Spoon 1's Turf Wars was now there from the beginning. At least in part. Not all players were hyper aggro. But there were more so than in the beginning in the original. After experiencing that and putting in some time to think (as well as a few Snickers bars) I suddenly got a call from good ol' Turf Wars. In the metaphorical conversation I was told this...

"I haven't gone away. I've always been here. All you did was change to meet the rising expectations."

With that in mind, I leave you with this after a nice, multi-colored wall of text explaining my opinion. The only thing that really happened is that our level increased and we started facing higher level opponents with more combat experience. I know it is called Turf Wars and that is something to note. But, at the end of the say, it is still a shooter. Albeit a very colorful one with ink and splats instead of bullets and sniper rifle decapitations. Combat is inevitable. It's even in the name of the mode. Turf Wars. I made peace with that and became more aggressive myself. I rather enjoy the challenge of it now and only get super frustrated when I get specifically trolled by a jerk of a player who would rather grief on someone than play the game. Otherwise, it's all in good sport. I may get salty on that sport sometimes, but that's not the fault of the game or the mode. Believe me, I love Turf Wars too! I love spending my time on the battlefield redecorating it in the color of my (kind of) choice. It's just the inevitable winds of change blowing when we rise in level.

If you made it this far, thank you for reading my latest, long winded diatribe! I know I am likely to receive some flak for having an unpopular opinion. Please let me know if you think that this is wrong or if you just think that I am an idiot. Just please be respectful about it.

Berry

Senior Squid
NNID
BlazzBerry
Y'know, I had that same perspective about Turf Wars not too long ago. How things seem to be lees about Turf and more about tactics and war games.

"Why can't things be like they were in S1 where you could avoid conflict and just do your inking territory thing in peace?"

It does seem to hit a strange cognitive dissonance when you realize that the mode often referred to as casual is now so rife with battle and the thought of dominance. But take a step back and think more clearly about it. I may be wrong about this, but indulge the words of a man looking to play devil's advocate for a bit. Did Turf Wars really change, or have we changed? Don't get me wrong, I had many of the same complaints about Turf Wars. Compaints if you will. It got too aggressive. It wasn't fun anymore. Where is the comedown period in this almost nightmarish brawl for glory and eternal rest in the halls of Valhalla? Here's the catch. I had many of these complaints during my time with the first game. It wasn't anything new for me. I had seen this once before and went into this knowing that the game's Turf Wars would change into a kill crazy blood...ink bath. In the first instance I had all of the same complaints as are being stated now. When it happened again in this game I got to thinking about it more carefully and came to this conclusion: "It isn't Turf Wars that changed, but rather we did when we rose our level."

Think about it. When you first started playing Splatoon, you found ways to avoid conflict and just get Turf inked. You could just go off into your corner and daydream about the pretty squid you met the other day and still be effective for your team with minimal combat necessary. As we leveled up, we found ourselves up against higher level squids ourselves. Squids with more experience. Squids with with something to prove and perhaps a chip on their shoulders. Squids who more aggressively take to their objectives, for better or worse. It became a hassle and I found myself often asking the same question about the good ol' days.

"Where did you go, peaceful Turf Wars? You didn't say goodbye, you didn't write a letter. I didn't even receive a postcard! You were just gone!"

It was during my time starting Splatoon 2 that I noticed something. The violent, aggressive nature of Spoon 1's Turf Wars was now there from the beginning. At least in part. Not all players were hyper aggro. But there were more so than in the beginning in the original. After experiencing that and putting in some time to think (as well as a few Snickers bars) I suddenly got a call from good ol' Turf Wars. In the metaphorical conversation I was told this...

"I haven't gone away. I've always been here. All you did was change to meet the rising expectations."

With that in mind, I leave you with this after a nice, multi-colored wall of text explaining my opinion. The only thing that really happened is that our level increased and we started facing higher level opponents with more combat experience. I know it is called Turf Wars and that is something to note. But, at the end of the say, it is still a shooter. Albeit a very colorful one with ink and splats instead of bullets and sniper rifle decapitations. Combat is inevitable. It's even in the name of the mode. Turf Wars. I made peace with that and became more aggressive myself. I rather enjoy the challenge of it now and only get super frustrated when I get specifically trolled by a jerk of a player who would rather grief on someone than play the game. Otherwise, it's all in good sport. I may get salty on that sport sometimes, but that's not the fault of the game or the mode. Believe me, I love Turf Wars too! I love spending my time on the battlefield redecorating it in the color of my (kind of) choice. It's just the inevitable winds of change blowing when we rise in level.

If you made it this far, thank you for reading my latest, long winded diatribe! I know I am likely to receive some flak for having an unpopular opinion. Please let me know if you think that this is wrong or if you just think that I am an idiot. Just please be respectful about it.
No, you've hit the nail quite on the head. I was thinking about posting my response about this, but you've beat me to it. There's a lot of reasons why people want to win turf war. It could be to get into ranked, trying a weapon, or getting a fresh bonus. You can goof off, but expecting to win and goof off? Its a tall order.
Just gonna add on that splat 2 turf wars is never going to be as rough as splat 1.

Any of you vets remember stealth jump+quick respawn?

That lone combination could be ran on any mode with any weapon and was extremely common in turf war. That squid you just splatted had a friend that jumped and is now inking your base as you go on about your business. Checking your map only goes so far when the your own team cant get out of spawn allowing the entire enemy team to push further.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」

Quite accurate with the addition that the game has changed to favor conflict as well, hence the transition from peaceful-ish turf turned into one giant bloodbath quicker than in S1. In S1, with specials like Killer Whail and Inkstrike which you just deploy and watch the world burn, and invincibility specials like Bubbler and Kraken AND maps feeling way less like "have a bit of mid and duck it" and also more open and wide outside of mid, helped plenty to mind your own business if you really wanted to. If I wanted to roll around, you had less people to stop you right away. Try the same in S2 and you get killed over and over and over again until you start going full aggro and sharker yourself or switch weapons that give you the edge in terms of range. Now, as a charger main I've already grown used to being hunted down immediately because if I can splat someone, I surely will.

But the thing is, even when I'm NOT playing charger, the hyperaggressive Splooshes haven't gone unnoticed. I've really started to hate Sploosh players with a burning passion because they're part of the core-team (including hyper-aggressive Splattershots) that just keeps going for the kills more so than for turfing ground. I'm in no way saying that these players were less prevalent in S1, but it never felt like each and every lobby was filled with the most aggressive players of the world, even at lv50 tier. The old map designs and specials contributed to that a lot. Draw this out of the equation and add more conflict-centered maps and you get the bloodbath that is S2 turf war, which, while it sounds ironic, makes me love Kelp Dome so much as a map, because while it favors conflict, you could still ink your path through the maze and mind your own business if you wanted. For some reason, it's one of my best charger maps because I feel I don't have as much freedom to switch between both on the same map elsewhere. Arguably Humpback, but that's really the only two maps where I feel this way. Everywhere else it's quite brutal. Now I've grown more used to it because I've gotten more exposure to ranked and league early on this time around but I can't help but miss the slightly more lax nature, despite the occasional E-Liter that kept maining Burst Bombs (mostly because I was a charger myself? Idk. :D).

Raxel920

Full Squid
I’m having a problem with teammates in Rainmaker. For some reason, they seem to be worse there than anywhere else. I guess it’s just because Rainmaker is really hard or something? Whenever I have it, my team is usually on the other side of the map inking some random turf or something. And when my teammate has it, they’ll usually either sit in the same spot and shoot (even when the other team is wiped and I’m spamming « This way! ») or bring it into a blatant tough path or chokepoint where neither team can get it anywhere. Though I’m just on B- so that’s probably going to change.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
I’m having a problem with teammates in Rainmaker. For some reason, they seem to be worse there than anywhere else. I guess it’s just because Rainmaker is really hard or something? Whenever I have it, my team is usually on the other side of the map inking some random turf or something. And when my teammate has it, they’ll usually either sit in the same spot and shoot (even when the other team is wiped and I’m spamming « This way! ») or bring it into a blatant tough path or chokepoint where neither team can get it anywhere. Though I’m just on B- so that’s probably going to change.
I will answer your "question" with a quote from a few posts above which sums up your average solo queue Rainmaker experience forever:

After my last play session, I'll will now leave a helpful guide for those struggling with Rainmaker! With these sick tips you'll be a champ in no time!

-Whoever has the RM wins by the amount of times they spend pressing ZR!
-If your teammates tell you "this way!" they're game throwers luring you in a trap. Make sure to stay as far away as possible. Make sure to instead rally with the spies on the other team near your own base, so that these other traitors can no longer put you in harm's way.
-NEVER MOVE. Don't do it. The entire RM meta is based about who gets the RM and presses the ZR button the most, so you will never ever need to move.
-As pressing the ZR button can be very straining, you might not want to do it. Instead, just leave the RM and pass on the duty to another teammate... even if they're not there.
-The information on the upper part of the screen is super valuable! For instance, if the squids on the right are greyed out, you must retreat. But if the squids on the left are being mostly greyed out instead, make a run for it! Move with the flow of the battle, and you'll win.
-Your teammates love the sound of you pressing ouch! Whenever you die by floundering in an inkstorm or going out of bounds, make sure to press ouch as often as possible so your team can give you a proper burial. That way, your spirit can pass on straight to the C- ranks.
-Splatting people is no way to go. That's super mean! You gotta play it like Mahatma Gandhi, and never lift your finger on any squid. If you're going 0/8 you're probably not winning, but you are winning in a philosophical sense. Someday they'll understand, my friend.

i'm totally not salty about getting dumped back to S+0 no siree
While it's not always the case, RM is just a hard hit-or-miss because of how QUICK things can turn around as it's an object you carry with your inkling. Stack a few swim speeds and you'll have snuck that thing past your opponents faster than they can say "Woah there!" - same goes the other way around, unfortunately. It's as fickle as turf war and you'll need to get used to picking it up more often in order to raise your chances to succeed. Good luck!

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
I think I may be one of the problems with turf nowadays. I use it as a practice ground for new weapons. And just to play in general. And sometimes I don't even realise I'm doing it. I'm just trying to keep control of the middle, and people are easier to pick off when they jump in one after another. But sometimes I'm using a weapon like a Blaster which isn't really suited for turf, and so I use it for aim practice. I was getting 15-1 a couple of games and wondering why we were getting practically 7 new squids each match. So as someone on the other side of things, I feel like a mix of the maps and the players who don't quite realise how aggressive they're actually being end up contributing to this

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886
Sometimes I get zero or one splat in turf wars... And then I start thinking to myself "am I really contributing to my teams if I just turf and don't really engage in any fights?". I try to get a balanced score of both. 'Cause it's not good if you completely avoid splatting the other teammembers either, 'cause that'll inherently mean that they will have more time on the field, inking away.
I try not to take turf wars seriously either way, I see it mostly as a place to collect some sweet, sweet ability chunks.~ ;D

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Yeah, I generally prefer playing Turf Wars on cruise control: grinding money and chunks, mindlessly inking while goofing off, experimenting with techniques and weapons, observing and sightseeing, and occasionally getting a wayward splat eventually.

As with Libra's(@Либра) earlier statement regarding Turf Wars, being forced to counter play hyper-aggressive splooshes, splattershot juniors, and splattershots for around 20 matches with a splat brella is the worst! I'm constantly forced into 1v1 situations because they're out for splats, I have to halt their base invasions, or I'm trying to aid a disadvantaged teammate against them. Sure, I mildly got better at attempting to curb their efforts, but is was a frustrating and mediocre performance all around on my part!

Though I’m just on B- so that’s probably going to change.
Nope. You're gonna slam into those same problems throughout every rank in Rainmaker. My condolences.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
Any of you vets remember stealth jump+quick respawn?
Aaaaahhhhh! The horror!

Seriously, that combination alone made things a nightmare, no matter what kind of player you were in S1 Turf Wars! I remember times when I felt like I was doing great, and I was. But there was nothing I could do about the Stealth Jumper who managed to sneak past everyone and get a spawn camp going. That is one thing that I will not miss from the original Splatoon. At least it taught you to use your map regularly.

As for the hyper aggressive Splooshes and Splattershots, I too have noticed their rampage upon the world. But it is so common that I am usually prepared to handle it. My trusty Splatling or Splattershot Pro in hand to keep them at bay with superior range and a hearty chuckle of triumphant glory when they fall in battle to my combat prowess! Or sometimes they sneak up on me and use a quick Splashdown and make me feel like a mime at an auction house. Just plain foolish. But usually it's the former for me. I dislike them, but I can usually manage them. What I am not cool with is anytime I get splatted by an Aerospray. Every time it happens I just feel embarrassed and I feel my Coolness meter drop by a few points.

As with Libra's(@Либра) earlier statement regarding Turf Wars, being forced to counter play hyper-aggressive splooshes, splattershot juniors, and splattershots for around 20 matches with a splat brella is the worst! I'm constantly forced into 1v1 situations because they're out for splats, I have to halt their base invasions, or I'm trying to aid a disadvantaged teammate against them. Sure, I mildly got better at attempting to curb their efforts, but is was a frustrating and mediocre performance all around on my part!
I would think that with the Splat Brella's buffs that such encounters would be easier! Being able to shield faster and more reliably has done that weapon a world of good in the competitive scene! One thing I love about the Splat Brella is that the shield can tank really heavy things like Splashdowns and Inkjet fire. I love to see my opponents' mood deflate when they use a special like that on me thinking, "Yeah, this'll be an easy splat. Put that in the books and call it a good'un!"

Then the Brella shield comes up and I can see by the reactions that they are actually saying on the other end, "Oh..."

All that having been said, I still feel your pain. The problem comes in from the idea that while I am guarding against a Sploosher my teammates, if you can call them that, will generally be about three miles away at the grocery store picking out a good wine and cheese to go with their days plans leaving me to fend for myself. As much as I love the Brella, even I understand that the shield only lasts so long. And when it goes, so too does my confidence.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
So much that, @Dark Sage Walker, so much that! With both splatling and brella.

Using the brella I found myself trading every two out of four encounters against them even with its slightly increased speed. One out of four I can thankfully skip away from. And one out of four they limp away while I'm waiting to respawn.

Sadly, a thing I noticed, still after the update, is that until the brella deploy animation finishes you will continue taking damage. Which is one continued salty concern when fighting melee happy, rapid fire shooters even when I get the first hit in.

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886
I just have to ask--how do you turf efficiently with the Hero Roller/Splat Roller? I worked hard to get a measly 700 in most of the matches I did whilst using it today. D; There was another Carbon Roller player in the room and he got way more pts. than me, so apparently it's possible to turf well with it. I guess a mix of vertical and horizontal flicks...? Which should I use the most? Should I try to flank more? Use a Ninja Squid shirt? Please give me some tips, oh ye Roller Squiddies. :3

Last edited:

SilverBlue-Neko

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-0694-5266-9796
Man, hearing all this talk about how aggro Turf Wars has became is actually relieving. Now I know it's not just me. I'll eventually find a way around. Might even have to drop the Hero Charger which will break my heart, but using a Charger in TW is almost impossible now. I'm also being sick of being taunted/squidbagged whenever I miss a shot or get splatted, usually by Dualies. Man, I hate Dualies SO MUCH. People say just predict which way they'll roll, but try timing that with a freakin charger. If you mistime the shot or predict which way they dodge wrong, BOOM! You're dead! And Dualies are EVERYWHERE. Makes me wanna flip a table! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Absolutely Absol

Pro Squid
Man, hearing all this talk about how aggro Turf Wars has became is actually relieving. Now I know it's not just me. I'll eventually find a way around. Might even have to drop the Hero Charger which will break my heart, but using a Charger in TW is almost impossible now. I'm also being sick of being taunted/squidbagged whenever I miss a shot or get splatted, usually by Dualies. Man, I hate Dualies SO MUCH. People say just predict which way they'll roll, but try timing that with a freakin charger. If you mistime the shot or predict which way they dodge wrong, BOOM! You're dead! And Dualies are EVERYWHERE. Makes me wanna flip a table! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Practising with charger on Turf War became almost impossible for me as well. Only charger I've succeeded is Bamboozler, thanks to its quick charge. Other chargers, even Squiffer, I failed miserably. Even practising with dummies don't help unpredictable nature of players. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom