• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Dead(er) Sea: Saltiest Catch

Spraylan

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JonasOrtega
Today was infuriating. I can deal with getting trounced by players with vastly more skill than me. I can deal with going up against them match after match and getting into some deep losing streaks. What I can't deal with is that in addition to having a team with AFK players and disconnecting players match after match. That makes me want to eat my damn hands.

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
Today was infuriating. I can deal with getting trounced by players with vastly more skill than me. I can deal with going up against them match after match and getting into some deep losing streaks. What I can't deal with is that in addition to having a team with AFK players and disconnecting players match after match. That makes me want to eat my damn hands.
I think with that it's because when you have a full team, there's a chance the game can turn around, even if the enemy team has more skill than you. With AFK of those that DC, you already know that there's a .01% chance that you will win because being down a teammate makes all the difference and that is something you have no control over which naturally causes the salt to rise. It's perfectly understandable even if you aren't penalized for losing a teammate.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Two suggestions for Clam Blitz:
  1. A flippin "Pass!" or "Throw it!" or whatever button so my rando teammates can stop avoiding me like I have cooties! Especially when I'm lugging around a blasted dynamo!
  2. Leave the Baller alone! You either end up getting too close to it and going splat OR you break it and give them a freethrow at the blasted basket!
Dynamo friendly fire when?!

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
On that point, it would be nice to have some other call outs to use since both left and right on the D-pad are currently unused. Maybe make one of them context sensitive depending on the mode of play and give the other over to some kind of improved communication? I can already see it. Playing Salmon Run and you are having a rough time of it. While you are running around trying to get your bearings, youi make a quick shift and hit left on the D-pad for an all new shoutout, "Get that blasted Stinger!"

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Dynamo friendly fire when?!
If only your own ink didn't heal you. Which actually begs to question why this game doesn't let you heal your teammates by shooting them. At best you negate the damage of standing in enemy ink, but let's be real -- the physics in this game are wack.

Clams itself would be a better mode if both hoops were back to back to each other in the center of the map, giving it closer to a splat zones feel. Obviously, no pity football in this version of the mode but even that would be a step up.

Reactions: the

the

Inkling Commander
On that point, it would be nice to have some other call outs to use since both left and right on the D-pad are currently unused. Maybe make one of them context sensitive depending on the mode of play and give the other over to some kind of improved communication? I can already see it. Playing Salmon Run and you are having a rough time of it. While you are running around trying to get your bearings, youi make a quick shift and hit left on the D-pad for an all new shoutout, "Get that blasted Stinger!"
Honestly I would like a “get em!” callout for when I’m dead and my teammates try to revive me when i’m in a swarm of salmonids. I’ll move to a safer place my dude! Focus on the bosses for a sec so we don’t all die!

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
If only your own ink didn't heal you. Which actually begs to question why this game doesn't let you heal your teammates by shooting them.
I've been thinking about this and that brings up an idea that I was having. A new ability that does just that. Allows you to heal teammates by hitting them. My first thought is that it would be a skill unique to headgear and that it would heal an amount equal to half of the damage you would normally deal to an enemy. It would open up more options for the supporter/tactician is some of us and create new strategy. But it could also make things more chaotic. Personally, I'm down for something like this. I would love to see the possibilities that could arise with a skill like this!

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I've been thinking about this and that brings up an idea that I was having. A new ability that does just that. Allows you to heal teammates by hitting them. My first thought is that it would be a skill unique to headgear and that it would heal an amount equal to half of the damage you would normally deal to an enemy. It would open up more options for the supporter/tactician is some of us and create new strategy. But it could also make things more chaotic. Personally, I'm down for something like this. I would love to see the possibilities that could arise with a skill like this!

I've had the same thought -- either an ability or a gun that does this (gun is more difficult because I don't trust match making). Your ability idea is really good. To balance things out, it could even make it so there's a damage debuff on your gun against enemies. I'd think splash damage/AOE weapons would be ESPECIALLY good in this role... But so would guns, such as nzap, that already take on a painting/support role at times.

InklingJoe

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5084-9470-8912
Going 20-25 splats and 5-6 deaths is becoming a regular occurrence in tower control matches that I go on to lose... Anyone else wanna get on the tower after I get knocked off? No? *sigh*

I like this idea forming above, but I don't think healing is the best route. It has too much potential to establish a rigid meta that would stagnate play. I do think it'd be cool if hitting teammates refilled their ink tank.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I like this idea forming above, but I don't think healing is the best route. It has too much potential to establish a rigid meta that would stagnate play. I do think it'd be cool if hitting teammates refilled their ink tank.
I like where your head at is on this one. At the danger of getting VERRRRRY off-topic, I think a nice middle ground would be that such an ability would have a light healing effect while refilling the tank (quarter of damage amount recovery + ink tank recovery at an amount Nintendo would have to balance). All this at the cost of half damage on every offensive shot.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
This happens to me 50% of the times, and it gets very aggrivating, especially idlers who can't disconnect in time during ranked matches.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Climbing in X rank is a beast.

I lose -77 points for one loss and gain back an average of +10. Pretty frustrating, but I understand Nintendo wants X rank to be a challenge.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I'd rather not, for the following reasons:
-Consistently healing allies makes damage vastly inconsistent, especially with weapons that deal high dps. There's a reason damage up/defense up is a thing of the past.
-Your character dies really quickly to begin with
-It creates a far more camp-heavy gameplay, with a lot of stalling involved. Just think of the hideous amounts of healing you can do with bombs alone.
-This is purely my own opinion but i generally hate playing support in games. It feels akin to playing janitor, where you cover up your team while your teammates get to do the cool stuff. It's a dull and passive playstyle.

I wouldn't mind something that can assist with ink regeneration, but I'd think that'd fit more in the form of a sub weapon.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
I'd rather not, for the following reasons:
-Consistently healing allies makes damage vastly inconsistent, especially with weapons that deal high dps. There's a reason damage up/defense up is a thing of the past.
-Your character dies really quickly to begin with
-It creates a far more camp-heavy gameplay, with a lot of stalling involved. Just think of the hideous amounts of healing you can do with bombs alone.
-This is purely my own opinion but i generally hate playing support in games. It feels akin to playing janitor, where you cover up your team while your teammates get to do the cool stuff. It's a dull and passive playstyle.

I wouldn't mind something that can assist with ink regeneration, but I'd think that'd fit more in the form of a sub weapon.

I agree with all the reasons up there^

And this game's offensive momentum would be revolving around that stale metagame of constant healing. It would force teams to go for pure one shot weapons (Blasters, Chargers, Rollers), making them skyrocket in popularity. And it would make low damage / slow kill time weapons irrelevant whenever an opponent is getting healed (jet squelcher, dualie squelchers, rapid blaster/pro, clash blaster etc.)

Also imagine some of the busted strategies with this. Like letting your teammate stand on a sprinkler, or making them stand in the middle of a splash wall you put out. Not even mentioning specials like bubble blower and inkstorm. Which would just be an annoying meta for any weapon honestly. At least it would body stingray as an offensive special

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I agree with all the reasons up there^

And this game's offensive momentum would be revolving around that stale metagame of constant healing. It would force teams to go for pure one shot weapons (Blasters, Chargers, Rollers), making them skyrocket in popularity. And it would make low damage / slow kill time weapons irrelevant whenever an opponent is getting healed (jet squelcher, dualie squelchers, rapid blaster/pro, clash blaster etc.)

Also imagine some of the busted strategies with this. Like letting your teammate stand on a sprinkler, or making them stand in the middle of a splash wall you put out. Not even mentioning specials like bubble blower and inkstorm. Which would just be an annoying meta for any weapon honestly. At least it would body stingray as an offensive special
That's fair but mitigated to a certain extent if you make any healing/ink tank refill abilities work on main weapons only (same with any debuffs associated with this kind of ability).

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
Half damage would be too big of a compromise anyway. It would make an N Zap or Jet 8 shot kills, and an Undercover up to 20 shot. That’s like more than a full ink tank.

Whilst your idea would shake things up it would make balancing more of a nightmare than it already is.

NOICE

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-7409-1615-2211
I am seriously about to lose my mind playing rank X Splat Zones. It makes me feel like a completely incompetent scrub every single time. I regularly have the least kills, so I know I am a big part of the problem, but my teammates are also CONSTANTLY dead. I don't understand what I'm supposed to do in this game ever since 3.0 was released. I can try do safely build my special away from the fight, but it feels like there is never a chance to go in together with teammates, because they are forever dead as soon as I have my special ready. It's so discouraging how often I will die, check my map to find that the rest of my team has also just died, meaning we are yet again going to get locked out and lose with a quick KO. What exactly are you supposed to do when you find this happening over and over again?!?

I know I'm not anywhere close to god-tier like a lot of these people in rank X, but I kinda expected it to at least feel more balanced after the update. Ya know, like more close games and such?

Last edited:

Inkling kirby

Semi-Pro Squid
Tower Control for me in S+ goes something like this:

Charger lands first shot they take towards me on the tower (and if bamboozler they land the first two) without taking any longer than their charger needs to kill, even though I clearly see them ahead of time and have had plenty of time to position myself behind the pillar.

I switch to a non-mini splatling because I'm tired of this carp and I want to play defensive but I suck at chargers.

I precede to charge up full barrages and hurl them at the tower without landing a single bullet, despite the fact that I am hitting a good proportion of the bullets to the side of the pillar and inking the ground there, pushing squids out of the ink. I am still not hitting them when they are completely exposed.

Plz help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom