• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Dead(er) Sea: Saltiest Catch

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
View attachment 5491
Are we playing the same game? I see teams with 2 or 3 tri-sloshers all the time, both in League and on streams. The meta king is inescapable.
It's mainly Tentateks or Tri-Sloshers from the streams I've seen.

Most games from the streams I've seen often tend to have 2-3 of either of these weapons with 1 extra (one example would be seeing games with 3 Tentateks and 1 Tri vs. 2 Tri-Sloshers, 1 Tentatek, and one extra).

In other words you and @Vitezen are both right about what are the most commonly used weapons in ranked so far.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
If it were truly that unstoppable, you would be seeing 3 tri-slosher in every match. As of now, you see the Tentatek more often than the tri-slosher.
I don't follow many competitive streams or tourneys, but from my own experience with higher level solo ranked play and league, I see far more Tri sloshers than TTeks, which is saying something because I see a lot of the latter. And talking raw performance, a team of three TTeks is much easier to counter than three Tri sloshers. There is no strategy or being clever with a team who will spam ink armor three times in a row to make a devastating push. I think plenty of people are not only using Tri sloshers because they don't want to have people think they are using a meta crutch, or want to win with weapons they like more.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
How does this happen? Our team won, but how?

Note the level 1 person (who "DCed" and ending up in a 4v3) named "????????".

Here's the level 1 person in my lobby.

Is this an internet related issue or something else? (This was probably not the right place to post this)

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
If it were truly that unstoppable, you would be seeing 3 tri-slosher in every match. As of now, you see the Tentatek more often than the tri-slosher.
What randos pick in solo queue doesn't matter nor correlate with what's going on in tournament play.

Luminario

Full Squid

Is this an internet related issue or something else? (This was probably not the right place to post this)
From what I understand that's what happens if someone DCs before any info on them in sent to other players. The game must just set up the default squid with starting gear to deal with the lack of info.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Well, I'm angry over a losing streak in league, but at least there's an upside. My friends and I ran into a quad team that's apparently part of a clan known for being extremely nasty - using lag to their advantage, frequent squidbagging, the works. We saw all of this in that match. What does all that sound like? Why, unsportsmanlike conduct of course! These guys are jerks and so my friends and I used the splatnet app to report each and every one of them. If there's any justice complaints will pile up and these sods will get the ban they so very much deserve.

Debbie

Senior Squid
NNID
MissRora
So i looked up some tournament footage of Splat Championship, and guess what the winners of said tournament used?
3 Tri-Sloshers in their team. THREE TRI-SLOSHERS. TWO OF THEIR GAMES THEY WON IN A KO!
And even then, the losing team had two tri-sloshers. I'm guessing the critical mistake they made is they should've used an entire team of them. What the hell. Even the hosts ended up calling the "meta" disgusting.

Good lord, the Luna wishes it could be this OP in S1. It's one thing if it was hard to learn, but it's so not. You pick it up and just ram the ZR key until everything else dies.
So it's the Aerospray of League? Aww, that means it'll probably get nerfed. Too bad, I like using it for Humpback and Musselforge where snipey weapons have trouble. I haven't even unlocked League so.... is there still honor in using it if you just generally suck? xD

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
So it's the Aerospray of League? Aww, that means it'll probably get nerfed. Too bad, I like using it for Humpback and Musselforge where snipey weapons have trouble. I haven't even unlocked League so.... is there still honor in using it if you just generally suck? xD

The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be.

-Socrates

Sorry this didn't really have anything to do with your post but when I have a chance to bust out a Socrates quote I gotta jump on it. :)

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
Well, I'm angry over a losing streak in league, but at least there's an upside. My friends and I ran into a quad team that's apparently part of a clan known for being extremely nasty - using lag to their advantage, frequent squidbagging, the works. We saw all of this in that match. What does all that sound like? Why, unsportsmanlike conduct of course! These guys are jerks and so my friends and I used the splatnet app to report each and every one of them. If there's any justice complaints will pile up and these sods will get the ban they so very much deserve.
I ran into some clan-types last week, or at least I suspect they were since they had the same symbols after their names. Looked like they just wanted to fart around the entire match no matter which team they were on, which, yanno...okay fine, I party in passing with my friends too, but then I go on and cover ground.
I missile them both into oblivion in one match.
Corner the one on the other team and splat them in match 2.
Duck out for a second to grab another seanwich and add a slot to my gear, try to jump into a new lobby... end up in the exact same one I'd just left, somehow.
Clanners were gunning for me the entire match. I destroyed both of them all in good fun because I'm a sodium-hound, and they left after that =p

THIS WEEK THOUGH:
Monday, clouds rolled in. Our net responds the way satellite always does in such conditions and craps out at midnight. No Squid Wars 2 for me.
Tuesday, massive headache. My sinuses are on the warpath for a combination of reasons. I loaf around until it's time to play, and...for some reason the switch refuses to talk to the TV. Okay, no biggie, I'll just play in tabletop mode. Now keep in mind I'm a dedicated meganekko, being nearsighted. I felt like a trained bear trying to use a kiddie piano hunched over like that staring at the wee little screen =p
But it worked. Played till the battery ran low and almost made it to 16, still have one slot to get on my fest shirt.
I still hate Moray Towers.
Roommate is jealous of my freshness level.
Seanwiches carry over to your next play session; this was a great thing to find out.
My switch is fine, I talked to ninty support today when I could finally sit up (the small cat seems to have decided I might be dead if I sleep for more than five hours, so she starts pawing at me). The lady was very nice to deal with. As usual, the solution to the problem was basically turn it off and on again - in this case, disconnect the adapter from console and wall, wait 30 seconds, and plug it back in. Problem solved.

Roomie will be playing for me to finish out my fest gear and probably either her or my visiting bestie from Atl who'll be here Friday will be doing Splatfest for me. PRO TIP if y'all see me running around with anything but the hero dualies any time that isn't Monday or Tuesday night, that's not actually me playing. Roomie will probably use the hero brella. Be nice XD

...this is assuming we can even do Splatfest. Great Harvey's Ghost will also be here Friday, and while we need the rain...I wanna squid ;3;

AND THEN I RECEIVE THIS:
Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

She had fun with you guys XD

Last edited:

swimmingknife

Semi-Pro Squid
I had a Salmon Run end in a wipe today because the person carrying the last egg we needed for our quota was standing right next to the basket, but chose to sit there shooting at Salmonids rather than just press A. In fairness it's possible that they did press the button and their controller/the game didn't acknowledge it, but tell that to my catastrophically elevated blood pressure.

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
Someone must've thought that the Rainmaker was supposed to go to OUR spawn, because as soon as they grabbed it, they went in the totally wrong direction. Before the game could take it from them, the other team swooped in, snatched it, and traveled the remaining 2 inches to victory.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet

That actually happened about a week ago to me, I found that the battle doesn't show up on splatnet2?

Also when you see a Tri Slosher on the other team and think, 'Welp, this match isn't going to be any fun'

VOCALOVER

Inkling
Actually, I found myself doing fairly well against opposing Tri Sloshers, using the Blaster.
My teammates mostly did their part too, so we were able to fend them off.

But if there good things, there have to be bad things too, so here's my pinch of salt:
Last time in ranked on Mooray, there was a laggy Flingza that kept teleporting around and targeted me because of unknown reasons.

After they managed to squash me out of nowhere, I got squidbagged but I took that one since they disconnected right afterwards.
BAM, DIVINE PUNISHMENT

(Also, moving splashdown dangerzones are weird)

SqidVishus

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0563-5067-5130
I am so sick of no-talent twits spamming ZR with a brush or bucket and getting 10 kills in turf war.

aji

Inkling
ranked up to A- in rainmaker the other day after a long struggle, and then proceeded to lose 6 games in a row. had to stop because i was getting super salty. there's no way i maintain A- at this point.

i'm comfortably A and A+ in the other two modes (on track to hit S for splat zones, even) and have no idea why rainmaker is so much harder for me

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
What randos pick in solo queue doesn't matter nor correlate with what's going on in tournament play.
But I said that my observations are coming purely from tournament play, not solo queue...

I don't follow many competitive streams or tourneys, but from my own experience with higher level solo ranked play and league, I see far more Tri sloshers than TTeks, which is saying something because I see a lot of the latter. And talking raw performance, a team of three TTeks is much easier to counter than three Tri sloshers. There is no strategy or being clever with a team who will spam ink armor three times in a row to make a devastating push. I think plenty of people are not only using Tri sloshers because they don't want to have people think they are using a meta crutch, or want to win with weapons they like more.
While it's possible that people are choosing not to use these weapons in tournaments as a result of some sort of guilt, I consider it unlikely. Some of these tournaments have cash prizes, and are taken very seriously.
Looking at solo queue, I actually regularly use the Nzap or tri-slosher over the Tentatek, even though I consider the Tentatek the better weapon, and I can understand why others would. The inkjet can be difficult to use, and I haven't mastered it, so I would rather not have a useless special. But more importantly, inkjet works great in a coordinated push with communication, which can't reliably happen in solo queue. I have to think much less about how to use my special when using ink armor, often my only consideration being how many members of my team are alive. This lower skill requirement and lack of communication make ink armor weapons much stronger in solo queue. But because I'm only examining tournament players, with coordinated teams, prearranged weapon compositions, and a wide variety of maps and modes, league and ranked aren't my concern.

SqidVishus

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0563-5067-5130
I am 4 - 17 in my last 21 matches. So very tired of bad teams and disconnects.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I am 4 - 17 in my last 21 matches. So very tired of bad teams and disconnects.
If you're doing that poorly, it's not just your teams that are a factor in these losses. You win together and you fail together, so maybe look at what you can do differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom