• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Dead(er) Sea: Saltiest Catch

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Today I learned that Splatoon 1 pro players are not pro players anymore in Splatoon 2 and that everyone's skill was reset and that all past experience is irrelevant
Okay, so we played against S division people in LUTI. My team and I are B division
We go on helpdesk and tell them, hey, those guys are S/A div players, why are they playing in the B div team that's fighting us?
Then the staff is like, ''but yeah, it's a completely new game it doesn't mean that they're S div still''
So they're telling us everyone's skill reset with the new game and that all the experience from the first game is irrelevant
Pro players are still going to be pro players from one game to another that's bulls**t at its finest
Then we're getting s*** on for calling the staff out on this nonsense and people are just saying ''lol ur salty git gud'' when the teams were stacked,
I love this community sometimes
Lol even with rust and weapon rebalances, the experience from S1 and the general skill carries over. Pretty rough you had to deal with this, they shouldn't put former S-S+ people into a B div lol, that's just a bloodbath waiting to happen.

Edit: So, with me trying it again I'm starting to believe the conspiracy that Splatfests are rigged.
I keep getting put in 1.8k or worse power level teams with a personal power level of 2k+, and if that isn't crappy enough, let's match this 1.8k power level mess against 2k+ power level teams all the time. This is more than half of my matches. Get your **** together, Splatoon.

Last edited:

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
Is Splatoon 2 even going to survive for another year? Nintendo's paid online looms closely enough for it be a concern at this point. If they charge money for the cruddy 16hz peer-to-peer connections we have now, I can readily imagine players of all skill levels voting with their wallets right out the door.
If they charge even one cent for the sh*tty online infrastructure they have now, Splatoon 2 is as good as dead for me at least.

And let's face it, Squidboards isn't that huge, the number of active users only very rarely goes above 50, most of the time it's the same dozen or so dorks day after day, like me.
I was a bit surprised to find out how small the number of active users this website is, considering the production value of this website. The other website I frequent, http://forums.nesdev.com/ rarely has under 50 active users, and it looks like it's straight out of 2000.

As for your advice, no amount of time away from the game is going to make this game better. I could leave for two months and my grievances with the design flaws will remain unchanged when I return. My problems aren't with game balance, they're with the netcode and mechanics surrounding a match, and those will never get fixed.
Unfortunately, my problems extend past that, being nerfed Run Speed Up and Quick Respawn, and no Damage Up that serve to slow down the game, no Echolocator, :)() terrible Ranked Mode, ruined returning maps that don't capture the feel of the original, (Snapper Canal is the only good map in the game, IMO) and tons of aesthetic things, (missing Squid Sisters, butchered music) but they add up.

I'm not sure if Splatoon is "super popular" either.
Judging from people I know, (not me though) it seems that with both games, everyone bought them, (look at sales figures) played them a ton, but then slowly abandoned them afterward. However, with Splatoon 2, it feels much worse; there was less summer time to play it, there has been no equivalent to the August update and likely never will be, it doesn't have the novelty that the first game had, a far away goal due to the participation ranked system, and the same strong sense of community due to regional matchmaking, and possibly the Wii U fan club.

This game pretty much made arms a ghost town
Splatoon 2 didn't make ARMS a ghost town; the shallow gameplay did. All Splatoon 2 did is accelerate its demise.

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
What even are days off anymore? Not a thing I get much of. I managed to get one hour in last night and that was it. Two incidents I wish I'd had the presence of mind to record, though...

Opponent panics, goes up to Splashdown...never comes back down. I splatted him right at the top of the jump. ;)

Troublesome Friend had terrible luck staying in matches and finally gave up entirely, but in the next to last one I splatted him (accidentally to be sure), and then felt awful seeing the little puff of ink-smoke afterward.
2.png

:rolleyes:

@Dessgeega , sorry for having to vanish on you after the one match we had. I was also too late to warn roomie's friend about you...I think you scared her a little XD

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
Opponent panics, goes up to Splashdown...never comes back down. I splatted him right at the top of the jump. ;)
What's always great, is whenever someone uses the Splashdown on the tower over the water in Snapper Canal and come back down, and continue down... Serves them right for using a panic button special.:rolleyes:

BlueInky

Inkling
I CANNOT SNIPE ANYMORE. WHAT. HAPPENED.

After immedietly transferrimg from Splatoon 1 to 2, I completely lost my ability to snipe. My 19 kills turned into 2. I’m pretty salty.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
I CANNOT SNIPE ANYMORE. WHAT. HAPPENED.

After immedietly transferrimg from Splatoon 1 to 2, I completely lost my ability to snipe. My 19 kills turned into 2. I’m pretty salty.
Which one of the charger weapons are you using? Because the E-Liter got nerfed hard, range-wise, but regardless of that, yes, had the same happen though it wasn't an immediate transfer.

Possible reasons for your sudden nose dive:
  • The "Damn you, mussel memory!"-effect. Different button placement, no map to glance down to and more importantly, different sensitivity might be messing up your aim. Make sure you have found the same sens on S2 as the same values have different effects than the S1 ones.
  • Controller: The Joycons have shown a couple issues with S2 for many people. If you're using the Joycons, make sure they don't show the infamous drifting many people have experienced which forced them to switch to the Pro Controller. (Which may be a good idea if you haven't done so yet, lots of competetitive players recommend the switch for the most part)
  • Lastly, the "damn you ninty, why did you do that to us?": Not sure if the Charger was hitscan back in S1, but it certainly behaved like that! You could be damn sure that as long as lag wasn't pulling your leg, once someone entered your crosshair and you released ZR, they stayed dead. Not so much in S2, where your shots have notably turned into projectiles. While certainly the fastest projectile from a main weapon in the game, still a projectile, so people can dodge your shots at max range and you have to predict their movement now. Sucks, I know. They managed to make a high-risk-high-reward weapon even more risky to use, lol. `д´
  • Edit: Almost forgot: Different maps. They don't have the classical, safe designated sniper perches anymore and you need excellent map knowledge to be better aware for where your enemies are heading as you can get flanked on much more easily.
  • And of course the slower tickrate is doing the rest.
With that in mind, that's what made my performance tank even if I haven't taken a longer break before diving into S2, but the good news is, you can make a recovery. The short to mid-range weapons have become more potent at killing so don't be too sad if people do their fair share of it nowadays but you'll find that other than the E-Liter who takes much more experience to re-master and still is in a bad spot right now, the chargers are still pretty viable and the charge-hold mechanic for unscoped chargers is pretty nifty for some new trickshots.

Last edited:

Ember-Wisp

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
IceCrystalEmber
Switch Friend Code
SW-6109-1903-3315
Okay so, I only have like 2 things that make me salty about this game, but it REALLY makes me salty!

First: joycons wont quit drifting randomly on me! There's a reason the Wii and WU had a sensor bar, so the wireless controllers always knew where the center of the screen was meant to be! The switch seems to get confused constantly about where the center is meant to be even though I don't move my seat while playing... ugh why... I hope they come out with a switch sensor bar so my madness will end! I have to put the switch in sleep mode for a minute to fix it and it works for a while, but if i change game modes or change gear the joycons are like "herp derp! where'd the center go??"

Second: I keep getting DC'ed from Salmon run for some reason. :/ worst part is I lose points for it too! it's not like I enjoy getting DC'ed! I just want to play and have fun, what the flip. I have zero issues with turf war, I rarely get DC'ed in turf but in Salmon run the games like "oh you got a team of 4? you're already in the game and splatting Salmon? to bad! DC" mmmm.... That doesn't make me any friends game! thank you very much...

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
First: joycons wont quit drifting randomly on me! There's a reason the Wii and WU had a sensor bar, so the wireless controllers always knew where the center of the screen was meant to be! The switch seems to get confused constantly about where the center is meant to be even though I don't move my seat while playing... ugh why... I hope they come out with a switch sensor bar so my madness will end! I have to put the switch in sleep mode for a minute to fix it and it works for a while, but if i change game modes or change gear the joycons are like "herp derp! where'd the center go??"
The sensor bar does nothing for the motion controls in Splatoon; it's only used for infrared "pointer" controls, like that of the Wii menu. You can even play Splatoon with motion controls with the sensor bar unplugged as proof. Jordon drift has to do with the joycons losing connection with the system entirely, which keeps the velocity of the motion controls. The wireless connectivity of the Switch is honestly very poor; I can't even get an internet conection on it from my room, whereas the Wii U and any other device I own have no problem.

Ember-Wisp

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
IceCrystalEmber
Switch Friend Code
SW-6109-1903-3315
The sensor bar does nothing for the motion controls in Splatoon; it's only used for infrared "pointer" controls, like that of the Wii menu. You can even play Splatoon with motion controls with the sensor bar unplugged as proof. Jordon drift has to do with the joycons losing connection with the system entirely, which keeps the velocity of the motion controls. The wireless connectivity of the Switch is honestly very poor; I can't even get an internet conection on it from my room, whereas the Wii U and any other device I own have no problem.
I had always though the sensor bar was the "thing" that dictated what was considered center for motion controls in the older consoles, but if that's not the case then I guess the joycons are just poorly made? you'd think they would have this figured out by now right?

My bf bought this strange net gear device a few months ago, and I guess it hooks right into the internet router and amplifies the wireless signal somehow. Ever sense he bought it, we have had no issues with getting internet in any part of our house and it somehow makes it so that if many devices are all using internet at the same time, it wont slow down the internet. I don't really know how it works... but it might be worth looking into if you want to play the switch in your bedroom. But then again if the wii U works and the switch doesn't then... yeah, that's a bit odd.

I intentionally waited over 6 months before buying a switch to make sure all the bugs and issues were fixed, but it looks like there's still more to be worked on. :/ *le sigh*

VOCALOVER

Inkling
I get the drifting constantly too and it really throws off my aim, especially if I'm wielding my beloved Splat Charger :(.
It's really annoying to be in a fierce fight and wasting your ink because your aim is messed up, but I've found that the drifting seems to stop if you put down your right joycon for some seconds and it works just fine for me.

Ember-Wisp

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
IceCrystalEmber
Switch Friend Code
SW-6109-1903-3315
I get the drifting constantly too and it really throws off my aim, especially if I'm wielding my beloved Splat Charger :(.
It's really annoying to be in a fierce fight and wasting your ink because your aim is messed up, but I've found that the drifting seems to stop if you put down your right joycon for some seconds and it works just fine for me.
It seems to work differently for everyone. mine wont stop unless i turn the game off and recallabrate. :(

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I've been hearing this more and more lately, on and off this forum. It's pretty aggravating how the Pro controller has slowly drifted from an option to something that's recommended to play this game properly. The solutions for a controller issue shouldn't be "deal with it" or "spend 70 dollars", ugh.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
When they put four painting weapons against four non-painting weapons...

the

Inkling Commander
Waited all day to play splatoon with some friends and the game wouldn't launch, I figure I need to update the game and see that I'm not connected to the internet. It won't even search for connections I am so mad

Update: it connected, hopefully it isnt a laggy mess

UPDATE UPDATE: it worked fine! for one match! Then 3 disconnects in a row! I will murder judd with my bare tentacles!

Last edited:

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Waited all day to play splatoon with some friends and the game wouldn't launch, I figure I need to update the game and see that I'm not connected to the internet. It won't even search for connections I am so mad

Update: it connected, hopefully it isnt a laggy mess

UPDATE UPDATE: it worked fine! for one match! Then 3 disconnects in a row! I will murder judd with my bare tentacles!
Was it a little after the rotation turned to zones last night? My buddy and I played a zones match, got the win and it froze on the results screen for about 5-10 minutes. We were so afraid they'd count it as a disconnect (thus a loss), but the timing was just barely okay, so the win counted.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
Is drifting when your controller just won't work for a second, and your character just moves in one direction for that time span?

If it is, I've learned that not leaning the joycons against myself helps with that. I guess the joycons have difficulty working when there's a big pile of meat blocking the signal?

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
I miss my Aerosprays. Right now they're dang garbage, and as someone who really loves Turf War, of course I would use them (mostly RG)a lot. But now they barely cover the ground they need to. RG was great for me because it allowed me to do my job while staying relatively pacifist. Feels so bad man. Now Sploosh is my new best buddy for Turf War, and I gotta live with the fact that I'll never get my damn pacifist Aerosprays back.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Just a little bit of salt, recapping my experiences today:

In a turf match to warm up, I completely dumpster a luna blaster who got the flank on me and said "this kid is so bad lol"
Meanwhile, my teammates die to said luna multiple times, and I walked out of the lobby looking at the luna player's stats it read:
S+50 tower control

Don't judge a book by it's cover, but I directed him after he got the flank on me. (I was playing the range blaster as usual) So I was really quick to judge.

But the real salt I have was in solo queue, yes the forgotten land. And playing in S+ rainmaker. Alright, I love me a good rainmaker game, let's get out there. I get two and die before I can get another kill and see my brush player standing at the spawn still. I wait there for a couple seconds assuming he'll dc of inactivity, but no. He moves a step to the left to reset the inactivity counter.

Seriously, wtf guys. I understand something might come up in a match, but make sure you got about 5 or so minutes to be in your ranked game. But that's beside the point, if you're going to not play in solo queue, DC quickly. Or better yet, don't play if you know you can't be playing right now. The thing that's annoying about this is that it's a 3v4, but the game can't recognize it because my teammate didn't dc. So I enjoyed a nice crack on my rainmaker bar after that.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.

The Brella may not be as broken as it was for those few days where it could open and close and shoot in less than a second, but this is just near impossible to beat for any weapon with shorter or even mid range even now. (referring to the second death by the brella player in the clip, the first was totally a standard kill they got) The problem is, any more nerfs and the brella will suck badly again, so I really don't know how to balance it even further at this point.

Earlier in this session I was using an Octobrush against a different brella, and it was even worse. I got the drop on that person and they still managed to kill me easily. At that point I decided to avoid them as best I could.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom