• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Dead(er) Sea: Saltiest Catch

Foxtrot

Full Squid
I'm home everyone.

Yeah, as 2018 closes in it's gotten pretty hard to forget/ignore this
https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/
Merry Christmas!
"Sony and microsoft had the right idea.
Giv us moar muny fgt ~xoxox"

-________-

Its literally $20 a year vs Sony/Mircrosoft's monthly payments. You get free games, and hopefully a better online experience than the free trial we're already getting. Maybe its just me, but $20 isnt that much, especially not since Nintendo is willing to periodically give out free stuff.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
All I wanted to do was talk about how exciting the update is, but instead all I'm seeing are people discussing the technical issues with the game that we've spoken about millions of times. What the hell man, how negative do we all have to be to not get excited about our favorite game anymore, especially when 2.0 gets announced, and instead opt to just continue throwing up walls of text about how unhappy you are with the game still. The negativity here is suffocating at times, my goodness.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
All I wanted to do was talk about how exciting the update is, but instead all I'm seeing are people discussing the technical issues with the game that we've spoken about millions of times. What the hell man, how negative do we all have to be to not get excited about our favorite game anymore, especially when 2.0 gets announced, and instead opt to just continue throwing up walls of text about how unhappy you are with the game still. The negativity here is suffocating at times, my goodness.
I know, right? It's one of the reasons I immediately went back into lurking mode in this forum. It was fun writing down my thoughts and get a bit hyped, but the negativity feels overwhelming. I just came back for a sec to answer two squiddos and that's probably where I take a break until people snap out of it.

Like, I get it, you get to share your thoughts and you are entitled to your opinion, but some of you have been taking the negativity too far turning each and every neutral or positive discussion into a group therapy circle of whining and complaining about the same issues over and over. Now I know what a broken record sounds like, thanks for helping me out there! To those who are as unhappy as they say which would technically render them unable to enjoy the thing that is Splatoon 2, feel free to move on. Nobody is asking you to stay and spend valuable hours of your life suffering, just sayin'....

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
@Danku @Либра
For what is worth, I am truly sorry =[
Splatoon is one of my favorite video games(if not my most favorite)

The news about subscription fees for online play really crushed my spirits. I've been playing and enjoying the **** outta splatoon 2 despite the little nitpicks and in ignorance of the paid service scam for the past couple months. But with paid online rounding the corner, I can't play dumb for much longer. And it's because the new video got me so excited that it made the thought of impending subscription **** all the more disheartening.
I feel like I couldn't say I truly cared about the game if I just let everyone forget about it.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
To be fair, a lot of us are negative at this game, pointing out it's problems so that Nintendo can fix them quicker. Like the brella exploit where you could shield and shoot simultaneously. Everyone brought it to Nintendo's attention, and the bug was fixed in a day.

Sure, there are some who just want to be negative just to **** on the game. And that's just them, there's nothing you can do about those kinds of people.

With the payed internet service in the future, I'm sure a lot of us are just worried about the game's health. (and that's perfectly acceptable) Because it's already hard to find matches, and now Nintendo is going to have people pay for it. Even at the cheap cost of $20 per year, that could (and probably will) repel a lot of players. (if they don't fix anything / add features)

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
To be fair, I do understand the negativity. If you spend enough time with something, you stop seeing the good in it, and all you end up talking about is things you dislike. Almost like a spouse! I know this firsthand. There's a kind of media I have put around 2000 hours into. I can't talk about it without criticizing things, even when I try not to. I still love it.

I admit the negativity can be a bit much, but try not to let it ruin your enjoyment. They're just expressing their love in their own twisted way.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
I'm not saying I don't know where this is coming from in this particular case. It's not like I haven't made my own recordings (1) to laugh at the issues (2) the game is having despite being a sequel on a newer console. I'm neither stupid, blind nor ignorant towards them, I've put my 1k hours into the titles myself so I can ab-so-lute-ly see what you're seeing, objectively speaking. I'm not saying your complaints are all moot and in ill spirit altogether (because that would be overgeneralizing), but let's face it, there is a time and place for everything. And I think, repeating old issues already mentioned exhaustively often over and over again when there's a big content update being announced it neither the time, nor the place to keep spewing this kind of negativity, derailing discussions. Unsurprisingly there's now people complaining and people complaining about the complainers again so I'll put a full stop to this and let the Hydra main have his bananas. ;)

To be fair, a lot of us are negative at this game, pointing out it's problems so that Nintendo can fix them quicker. Like the brella exploit where you could shield and shoot simultaneously. Everyone brought it to Nintendo's attention, and the bug was fixed in a day.
I don't have a problem with this particular scenario.
Sure, there are some who just want to be negative just to **** on the game. And that's just them, there's nothing you can do about those kinds of people.
But this. Though you're right, other than putting them on the blacklist, there's little you can do to change that.

I'm also worried about the state of the game, don't get me wrong. I'm in the EU region, arguably the smallest one by playerbase. Ranked lobbies are a ghost town at certain hours. Turf lobbies take long to fill. And our league leaderboards are like super short and empty at times. I'm fairly certain paid online will leave a wave of destruction behind in my region if they don't switch back to global matchmaking, but there's only so much I can do, and complaining on third party boards on every opportunity I get won't help there.

(1) Lag caused by the abysmal tickrate and this is despite regional matchmaking which was supposed to help
(2) What is matchmaking anyway? Also, DCs. So many DCs I see daily, lol.

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
The new music clashes SO ****ING HARD with the asthetics and gameplay HOLY **** it is actually bothering me. I was playing with a friend in league and we were both talking about how... ''not-Splatoon-like'' it sounds.
It's not bad by any means, it just doesn't fit whatsoever in this game in my opinion.
I just can't get over that it clashes so hard man it feels wrong on every level.
''It's like putting gravy, on skittles.''

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
The new music clashes SO ****ING HARD with the asthetics and gameplay HOLY **** it is actually bothering me. I was playing with a friend in league and we were both talking about how... ''not-Splatoon-like'' it sounds.
It's not bad by any means, it just doesn't fit whatsoever in this game in my opinion.
I just can't get over that it clashes so hard man it feels wrong on every level.
''It's like putting gravy, on skittles.''
idk, I'd give it a while, I really like the new tracks. I felt the same way about Hightide Era when they first debuted in the 2.0 update, but they're definitely my favorite band within the Splatooniverse now. After a while the tracks will fit in, I'd just give it time.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I think the new music is fine. It adds some variety which was lacking in comparison to the original game. It doesn't clash with the visuals of the game, but it does clash with the other music. Again, personally, I think that is fine.

I have a few small things to rant about:

I still haven't settled on one or two weapons to play. Unlike in the original game, I am not committing the mistake of playing a high range weapon when I am very much aggressiveness incarnate when it comes to shooters. Yet all the interesting weapons, from my perspective mind you, either require you to mash a button, which is not only tiring but also causes the button to wear down faster or they come with very unfortunate (again, from my perspective) special abilities, like the Sloshing Machine with Sting Ray (I wish it had Ink Storm or Tenta Missiles instead). Slosher, Octobrush, Sloshing Machine, to a lesser extent... All plagued by mashing.

Can people stop swimming towards me when they have missiles locked on them? Like, the map is really big, swim somewhere else.

I still find Turf Wars somewhat unbearable.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Oh yeah. One thing I was really unhappy about with the balance patch was....uh, well... Nothing that needed buffs ((((imo)))) got buffs. I'm mostly over it now, but it was pretty disheartening to hear the Aerosprays were still dead, Slosher and Dynamo Roller still felt like garbage to play, and Splashdown is still gonna be a crazy powerful special. But whatever, Sploosh still fills the void Aerospray left, and Hydra Splatling will come with Splashdown, so I can still mess with that. Just pretty unhappy with the balance changes.

If you want a little twinkle of positivity, just rest easy knowing Tri-Slosher will not come back from the dead. It's strength came from being able to challenge mid range shooters very easily, and broken Ink Armor. now that those are both nerfed and with the recent buffs, the Tri-Slosher will still be deadly, but certainly no longer overcentralizing like it used to. Which is the preferred position for a weapon, again, ((((imo)))).

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
So I spent all 24 hours of my Thanksgiving flat on my back miserable in bed. Good thing a) roomie was there to save the day and deliver food down the hill for dinner, and b) I managed to get some Squid Wars in despite all this.

Met a nice guy who'd just gotten the game. Another Dualie Squelcher. Good teamo, nice booyah returns. Last match of the night it stuck us on opposing teams on Starfish. He splatted me and a little bit later I returned the favor. Snoogins, buddy ;)

He accepted my friend request.

Matches for the most part have been fun overall, tough but fair. A good time seems to generally be had by all. Most likely this is because I stay in the shallow end of the Turf pool (if matchmaking is anything like it is for Spawnfest, that'd mean I'm in the 1500-1600 range). It never fails though that the first match of the night is a lobby full of gung-ho 50's, and then pretty much everything after that - since I tend not to hang around in places where I'm likely to be abused for sport - is a much more even level spread. Last night though...

all the noobs. All of them. On my team. Every time. Return of the noob-wrangler, I guess :'D
Splattershots afraid to leave spawn. Training wheels (and I mean it, squiddo was level 6 dragging that thing around) Splatterscope who DC'ed twice before he gave up. Good luck to you, wherever you went after that, son. One team comp who finally got their big squid pants on and went INSANE, which ended with me dancing circles around mid, my teamos painting the other guys' spawn, and the other team...camping our empty spawn pad. Never change, Squid Wars, never change :rolleyes:

This gear-swap-between-matches-without-leaving-the-lobby thing puts some flavor back into Turf. At least now I don't have to question reality when someone shows up with two different weapons two matches in a row =p

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
So I've given it a day and several hours of gameplay, and I gotta side with Goolloom on this one, the new music is terrible. It's not terrible in quality, not at all, but it does NOT mesh with existing game assets at all. Funky jazz on Starfish Mainstage, a rock venue, was one of the most incongruous things I've experienced on this game.

Sound design is incredibly important in video games. I've quit games because of poor audio in the past. To go on a tangent, a solid example is Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance, that game's music is crap. The game itself is alright but my god the music is awful. The excuse given at the time is that the GBA has no dedicated sound processor so upping the graphics made them use cheap 8-bit sounding stuff, but the actual melodies are terrible and would sound wretched even on proper hardware.

I can't even tune it out! I've gotten so used to constantly listening for sound cues in this game that drowning out the music just isn't possible for me and my playstyle. Gotta ask myself, do I really want to listen to dying trumpets and fiddles for another 300 hours of matches?

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
idk, I'd give it a while, I really like the new tracks. I felt the same way about Hightide Era when they first debuted in the 2.0 update, but they're definitely my favorite band within the Splatooniverse now. After a while the tracks will fit in, I'd just give it time.
Comparing this new music to Splat 1's new tracks back when they came out, they were still in the same overarching style, and it wasn't THAT jarring.
Again, the music isn't bad, I get that it's a completely new style, and I'm sure they could in a way fit other styles of music with the game's asthetics and the gameplay.
Most of these new songs just don't get a ''Splatoon'' vibe going, you know? It just completely throws it off, makes me go ''What the ****?'' and it gets exhausting trying to process that for me.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
You people need to learn the difference between not liking something and something being terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom