The Dead(er) Sea: Saltiest Catch

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
The amount of games I've played lately where i have no influence on are seriously getting on my nerves. Either the game autopilots or i lose with a 1/5 KD ratio. I can't really stay mad at my teammates for underpreforming anymore, i can't imagine I'm the only one who this happens to.

Now i get completely random lobbies with power levels ranging between 1800-2200, it's completely nonsensical. There's literally no logic to it, random players are being thrown together and that's usually how these steamrolls happen: whoever has the pro players on their team wins. It also takes the air out of any wins you may have: you didn't contribute to the win, only the guy with 20+ kills did. These aren't the exceptions, this happens just about all the time now.

It really sucks because i still really like this game, but the matchmaking is so bad it's killing my interest in playing this game anymore. I really can't imagine that when the paywall will go up the matchmaking will get any better, seeing as there will be a more people beside me calling it quits. Man, this is frustrating.
You described my own league adventures as of late almost word for word. We may have different regions but the experience has been the same. Solidarity, friend. Your concerns are dead on.

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
I finally had to give up and go to Salmon Run last night after the insane stress of Turf got to me. Was wondering why on earth it took forever to fill an SR lobby, and then realized the weapon comp this shift was all really slow stuff. Splatterscope, ForgePro, Sloching Machine, and...Dynamo. Jesus Triscuitskipping CHRIST, now I see why Dynamos don't appear in Turf anymore. It has zero speed. I swear the Flingza is actually faster. Holy wow :'D

On that note I think the other reason nobody was mowing down hordes of salmonids was because of the influx of Black Friday noobs. In which case, the players deliberately picking on those folks should be ashamed of themselves. You can't complain about the lack of players in lobbies and then go out with the specific intent to crush lowbies into the ground over and over again. Go stand in the corner.

The all-or-nothing finally got to me, and I ended up in a destroy-everything-that-moves-no-fun-allowed-aaaAAAAAAAA berserker mode that kinda scared the roommate. I haven't seen vanilla Turf be like this since the Pokefest.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Ho boi. Where do I start, hm. So, let's talk turf, shall we?
What's more "suprising" than the matchmaker we all love so much is ... DCs. And I had them aplenty. Six in a row in one short session. Six. What's more surprising was that, from empirical testing, it happens mostly when I'm a) in a high level lobby and b) either I'm on the E-Liter, or someone low-level is on the team. Some high level dude just vanishes in the first 10 seconds of the match. Coincidence? I'm starting to doubt that. When playing low level lobbies they're so much less prevalent that it really made me question the sodium levels of the high level playerbase. One can blame shoddy internet only so much until the pattern becomes quite ... uhm, noticable. Stop ragequitting right off the bat fellas, it's not cool for all parties involved.

The amount of games I've played lately where i have no influence on are seriously getting on my nerves. Either the game autopilots or i lose with a 1/5 KD ratio. I can't really stay mad at my teammates for underpreforming anymore, i can't imagine I'm the only one who this happens to.

Now i get completely random lobbies with power levels ranging between 1800-2200, it's completely nonsensical. There's literally no logic to it, random players are being thrown together and that's usually how these steamrolls happen: whoever has the pro players on their team wins. It also takes the air out of any wins you may have: you didn't contribute to the win, only the guy with 20+ kills did. These aren't the exceptions, this happens just about all the time now.

It really sucks because i still really like this game, but the matchmaking is so bad it's killing my interest in playing this game anymore. I really can't imagine that when the paywall will go up the matchmaking will get any better, seeing as there will be a more people beside me calling it quits. Man, this is frustrating.
You just described my last ranked session. The matchmaker was so lopsided it booted me from A+ to A, and then after two wins and a small glimpse of hope to work my way back up, got carpy again and now I'm at three cracks in the bar and not even at OK yet. Oof I say, oof. I've got the impression that A-ish rank in S2 is now the B-purgatory from S1. Part of me is still naively hoping for Ninty to improve their matchmaker and other technical squissues in the game when paid online rolls out but the doubt is strong on that one. It's a shame, really.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
I just got some delayed salt tbh

Mostly from a league session I had on Sunday, where me and my team played splat zones (as usual), long story short, we end up winning 16 out of 17 matches.

You must be saying "Why are you complaining about a 94% win rate? That's really good." And yes, you would be right about that. A 94% win ratio is awesome. But you know what makes it really dumb? The fact that my team only faced off against 2 teams above 1900 power. Even though we were placed at 2180. We ended up playing two teams at least 4 times. That's ridiculous. A 2100+ team shouldn't be queued with an 1800 team 4 times in a single session, let alone doing that twice.

Looking at the leader boards, we finished 2nd in the world with 2200 or so power. Meanwhile the team above us finishes at 2300, something we couldn't even attempt, since we won 6 points a game. We never got to face them either, even though we were the two best teams in that rotation.

So I look at North America, and find us at the top. Out of 4 Teams.
ONLY 4 TEAMS!?!?!!?!!?
It's not like we decided to league at 3:00 am - 5:00 am EST either, this was 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm EST.

Coincidentally enough, we faced the bottom team there 5 times, and won instantly 5 times.

So my league session originates from a couple different problems. First is regional matchmaking, where my team got prioritized to face a bunch of weenies because they were in the same region as us. Even though they placed about 400 points below us. Not to mention, since there were only 4 teams in all of North America, we got constant lobby time outs since the matchmaker couldn't find a lobby in time. Honestly I think in those two hours of gameplay, 30 minutes (or even more) might just be waiting in lobbies. 1/6th of the time spent in the game shouldn't be waiting around in lobbies that won't even fill up anyway.

However, I think the bigger issue and if Nintendo solves this problem, regional matchmaking can work out. There's nobody playing league. Nobody cares about league battle, it's fun sure, but there's no reward for it. There's no special motivation for people to try and climb the leader boards other than to show off to your friends about how you placed really good one time. Which makes league pretty unappealing to players who just want to play salmon run (that gives out actual rewards btw) or they just want to play solo ranked. Even to competitive players, most agree that they'd rather just set up scrims than have to go through the same two maps for almost no reward anyway.

So how does Nintendo fix this? Can league be fixed?
My answer is yes, it can easily be fixed. Why it's broken (mostly for the Western Scene anyway) is because no one is playing. Which makes the matchmaker act up, matches then become unfair, tilting a lot of players, and in turn removing said players because of frustration. My solution would be to add incentives to league. Just add ability chunks + snails if you place really high in one rotation. That's it. That's all you would need to liven up league honestly. Not enough people in the West are playing it, and the mode suffers as a result of it. So adding an incentive to play would do the mode some justice.

My only concern with this is that Nintendo probably won't change this anytime soon. As Japan (the region Nintendo listens to the most) aren't in a deficit when it comes to finding league battles. They have so many players they don't need to worry about not finding people during prime hours. Heck, if you look at the league results when it's 9pm there, the 100th team is at 2100, and the differences between places are so tight, the mode actually works as it's intended to. As it places people close together and you don't have 100 point gaps in between places. That's the only way regional matchmaking is going to work, if there's enough people playing to keep the game lively. If there aren't enough people, lobbies quit, the matchmaker kills scrubs, and the league experience just isn't fun or competitive.

Btw, if you want to check out the league session I was talking about, I'm talking about the rotation on 11/27/2017 from 3:00pm - 5:00pm EST

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
Well, I leave for a few days to enjoy Thanksgiving, get slammed by work and all the trappings that go with that, and then come back to find that I have missed like four or five decent conversations! What the carp is that all about!? But none of that means I have no contributions to the discussions. It does mean that I have a long post coming up. Might wanna make a sammich or something.

First, Splatfest. Fantasy vs. Sci-Fi. Frankly, I'm a fan of both. I love swords and sorcery, and I love robots and technology! How do I choose between the two? Well, in the end, I just had to take an honest evaluation of my hobbies. Magic the Gathering, Dungeons and Dragons (yes, I am that type of nerd :p), and a lot more time spent on Skyrim due to it's recent re-release on the Switch made me go with Fantasy. This means that I won! Hooray! Thank goodness Marina and I got to go home with the W! But that does not mean that I didn't have gripes with it.

First, and I know this is a hot button topic here right now, the matchmaking. I don't normally complain about this too much, mostly because I have experiences with Splatoon 1's oh so immaculate machmaking system. Making it regional is a problem, yes, but so is match balancing. I've been in the same boat many of you have been in. Getting consistently grouped with lower level players and trying my best to fend of the impending massacre unfolding right before my eyes with my trust rifle/gatling gun/calligraphy brush. There is no two ways about it, this is a crappy position to be in. Being steamrolled isn't good for anyone's self-esteem. But it's not like this never happened in S1. In fact, with the Japanese players in the mix, it happened more often than not. What this does for me is make me savor the good matches that I got and made me feel great when I could stand toe to toe with the Japanese players! I felt like I was really improving by being placed in some bad situations. Now this, by no means, should say that I am happy with the state of things as they are now. It's as if Nintendo heard what we were saying about OG Splatoon's matchmaking processes and the frequent DCs and made some of the appropriate changes, but those changes brought a whole new box of spiders to deal with. What I would propose is simple. Let us choose how we form matches. Regional or international. Based on P2P or ping. Whatever. I may have those terms wrong, but you get the idea. Many of us would like to get back to playing with the Japanese region again, and it sounds like the EU region is suffering due to lackluster matchmaking, especially in League. Just making that one little fix would solve a lot of problems!

Second Splatfest gripe, the mirror matches. I went through a lot of mirror matches and it felt like it was an uphill struggle most of the way. I know that this is technically also a matchmaking thing, but I have to think that this is more so an issue with the idea that there are a lot of people playing, but many of them are going to be on the same team seeing as one team is more popular than the other. Solution? Get matches going even if they are mirror matches. At least it keeps the pace up. I don't necessarily like them, but I don't think there will ever be such a thing as a perfect 50/50 split on popularity. So for me, this is a wash.

But that isn't it. I guess I should address the elephant in the room. His name is Wallace. Say hi when you have a moment. But also, that dastardly Shifty Station! Full disclosure, I actually did rather well on this Shifty Station. It's like the stage was designed with long range weapons in mind or something. But it doesn't stop me from complaining about bad design, and boy howdy! That is some quality lack of effort you guys show in making these stages! With so few options for places to go during those matches, it all came down to a rather chaotic free-for-all in that little choke point. The Sponges helped and made things a bit easier for us long-range squids to deal with. But when I was playing something different, like the Krak-On for example, things got hectic and furious! I also hear that Japan got the previous US region Shifty Station for their most recent Splatfest. My heart goes out to all my squids from the Land of the Rising Sun. I feel your pain my tentacled brothers and sisters.

Those are all my Splatfest gripes, but there are plenty of other things to talk about.

To you who has been looking into better play with the Rollers (I apologize, I forget your name), I actually wrote up a bit on effective roller use. It's in the thread titled "The Gold Dynamo Roller Could Be Broken."
It's just general advice, but I think it could help if you are still looking for pointers.

Now, about the new music. Yes, it is a jarring change from the music that we have been listening to. It certainly does get your attention when the One Minute Left jingle starts up. It's like letting ADHD Squids play with musical instruments for an hour and a half and seeing what they can come up with. But I would be lying if I said that I didn't like it. First of all, it is a welcome change to getting the same three songs over and over again. Just the variety in and of itself breaths just a bit of new life into the game and it makes the old songs hold just a bit of a mystique. They became just a little special just by still being there among the crazy trumpets and the Irish shanty. Now, I don't know the names of the new bands, but the one that does that crazy Irish sounding shanty needs to be commended! It reminds me of real world bands like Flogging Molly or the Dropkick Murphys and I love every moment of it! I lovingly refer to that song as 'Irish Folk-Punk' for that very reason. Secondly, I am pretty sure that Nintendo is using Splat2n as a platform for some experimental ideas, and it feels like the new music is just a part of that. I would even go so far as to say that they may even add a few more songs to the game, or even bring back the old music! What I would do if I were in Nintendo's shoes, is just open up the library of music in the Splatoon world for us to choose what songs we want to hear during battles. All the songs from S1, all the songs from S2, and then keep releasing new music as time goes on. The game is heavily influenced by music in the first place, so the release of a new track should be met with announcements of their own during the news clips. Don't just say that the game has been updated, make a big deal about new singles! Let us look up lore and history of the in-game bands, let us follow them as if they were real bands. Music is a prominent thing in the Splatoon world, right down to the news of the world being delivered by pop stars, singers, and rappers! Let the game's music industry shine and we will love every minute of it!

Last thing I want to say about the music is that I called from moment one that this was coming. As soon as people started to complain about the lack of musical variety to accompany the fun and frenetic nature of the ink battles, BAM! New music! This is not the only time this has happened though. This came about in S1 as well, with about the same timing from launch as well. This is Nintendo trying to keep the game fresh and relevant. They want people to keep playing the game, and not necessarily because it will offer a steady stream of revenue. EA. The game itself is what draws people in. The world, the lore, the colorful nature of it. That's why they want to keep us invested with Splatfests, new game modes, new weapons, and of course new music. I called that this was coming because of my time with vanilla Splatoon. And I am willing to bet that version 2.0 won't be the last big update. I think we have more to look forward to!

On that note, what I want to say to @ThatOneGuy is that I don't think Nintendo is going to ignore complaints. I think that they tried to address complaints and issues from the first game and accidentally created new problems. Keep talking and make sure that you have a voice! If they only cared about the JP region then we wouldn't get this game at all. Make sure you are addressing your concerns and they will have to do something about it if they want to keep you as a customer and ensure that, if and when they release Splatoon 3, we will all want to go out and buy that as well. It's good business for them to address concerns that affect the game. Just keep talking! Keep complaining! I am pretty sure that some Nintendo rep or another checks these and other forums to see what the fans are saying. Just keep doing what you're doing!

Lastly, I want to address the negativity surrounding the conversation. Look, I get it. I have many of the same complaints. I have vocalized a good few of them myself. I even just said that we should keep complaining until Nintendo listens to us! But we should all examine why we are complaining. Why we have issues that we feel should be addressed. It doesn't come from a place of hatred, I'll tell you that much. We are here because this is important to us. It isn't just the shooty shooty bang bang gameplay we like. It's the world that was built around that. It's the music. It's the culture that has been developed. Our complaints aren't about hatred, but rather love. We love this game, we love this world, we love the Inklings and the Octolings alike! In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing a Splatoon spin-off game exploring the the Octoling nation and why it seems to be in such unrest. They are obviously having an energy crisis, hence why they keep going after the Great Zapfish (speaking of which, where did he go in version 2.0?). But is that energy crisis born out of decadence? Are they struggling economically? Is it the result of a natural disaster? Is any of this related to Marina and her love of technology and machinery? We wouldn't be asking questions like this if the world didn't mean something to us. We all love this experience and the community that has sprung up around it. The complaints and negative commentary are there because we want to see Splatoon do better. Because it can be better. I love this game and I think so do the rest of us. So, whereas I think it is good to continue complaining about things that we find irksome, we should also strive to remember the experiences that we love about the game as well! This may not be the thread for it, but there should be a thread dedicated to sharing stories of positivity about the game as well as this one. If it doesn't exist, we should make it! I don't want to see the community become mired in negative attitudes that make us all want to stop playing. I hope I am not the only one thinking this.

Thank you for reading my latest wall of text, assuming you made it this far. I appreciate your time. I do these semi-regularly so do keep in touch! :D

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
Update: I may be wrong about the location of the thread where I talked about using rollers. Sorry about that. I'll try to find it.

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
Second Splatfest gripe, the mirror matches. I went through a lot of mirror matches and it felt like it was an uphill struggle most of the way. I know that this is technically also a matchmaking thing, but I have to think that this is more so an issue with the idea that there are a lot of people playing, but many of them are going to be on the same team seeing as one team is more popular than the other. Solution? Get matches going even if they are mirror matches. At least it keeps the pace up. I don't necessarily like them, but I don't think there will ever be such a thing as a perfect 50/50 split on popularity. So for me, this is a wash.
I don't really understand your point here...The game already gets matches going with mirror matches... During this Sci-Fi VS Fantasy, 90% of my matches were mirror matches, instead of keeping me waiting and timing out to try and find out Sci-Fi people, right?

Here I thought the popularity gap would be huge, but it was revealed in the results that it was quite close (43% to 57%). That doesn't make much sense to me, since the game probably had plenty of Sci-Fi people to pick from, but didn't because of the ping based matchmaking, I assume. At least that's my conclusion here, I don't know, a lot about this game doesn't make sense in the first place

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
On that note, what I want to say to @ThatOneGuy is that I don't think Nintendo is going to ignore complaints. I think that they tried to address complaints and issues from the first game and accidentally created new problems. Keep talking and make sure that you have a voice! If they only cared about the JP region then we wouldn't get this game at all. Make sure you are addressing your concerns and they will have to do something about it if they want to keep you as a customer and ensure that, if and when they release Splatoon 3, we will all want to go out and buy that as well. It's good business for them to address concerns that affect the game. Just keep talking! Keep complaining! I am pretty sure that some Nintendo rep or another checks these and other forums to see what the fans are saying. Just keep doing what you're doing!
You make some excellent points in your well-written post, well done. I want to comment on this section specifically though. Nintendo is a Japanese company. Kinda stating the obvious, right? Fact is though, Japanese game companies have a history of putting Japan first, and Nintendo is no exception, there's decades of evidence. Heck, right now Japan is getting exclusive gear that we're not! My point is that we of the English-speaking community are a secondary concern to Nintendo, and since all the development work and patching happens in Japan, we have little to no voice compared to the communities of other competitive games that are based in the west.

"If they only cared about the JP region then we wouldn't get this game at all." The effort to translate the game and produce it for sale is still less than the effort it takes to engage with the community beyond Japan, if just because there's money in the former. Frankly, the Japanese section of the playerbase dwarfs us to the point that the US and EU communities could die off entirely and Splatoon would likely remain profitable for Nintendo.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
You make some excellent points in your well-written post, well done. I want to comment on this section specifically though. Nintendo is a Japanese company. Kinda stating the obvious, right? Fact is though, Japanese game companies have a history of putting Japan first, and Nintendo is no exception, there's decades of evidence. Heck, right now Japan is getting exclusive gear that we're not! My point is that we of the English-speaking community are a secondary concern to Nintendo, and since all the development work and patching happens in Japan, we have little to no voice compared to the communities of other competitive games that are based in the west.

"If they only cared about the JP region then we wouldn't get this game at all." The effort to translate the game and produce it for sale is still less than the effort it takes to engage with the community beyond Japan, if just because there's money in the former. Frankly, the Japanese section of the playerbase dwarfs us to the point that the US and EU communities could die off entirely and Splatoon would likely remain profitable for Nintendo.
I agree with you, but I still think that it is better to air on the side of optimism. I am aware that localization isn't as difficult as engaging with the community. But that doesn't mean that we will be left out in the cold. Like I said, we just have to continue to voice our opinions! I know doesn't seem likely that Nintendo will listen to us, but it didn't seem likely that EA would listen to anything that we wanted. Look where they are now! I know that is only a small victory. But every small victory leads to an eventual SUPREME VICTORY! Look at that, a Killer Instinct reference. How about that?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I agree with you, but I still think that it is better to air on the side of optimism. I am aware that localization isn't as difficult as engaging with the community. But that doesn't mean that we will be left out in the cold. Like I said, we just have to continue to voice our opinions! I know doesn't seem likely that Nintendo will listen to us, but it didn't seem likely that EA would listen to anything that we wanted. Look where they are now! I know that is only a small victory. But every small victory leads to an eventual SUPREME VICTORY! Look at that, a Killer Instinct reference. How about that?
...One, EA's Western so different culture and whatnot, and two, did you really just make a comparison to THAT bunch of snake oil salesmen? :p That said, I can't fault your optimism even if I don't agree with it personally, thumbs up.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
With what Nintendo of Europe has done to our Splatfest themes, do you really think they care about us? :D
Jokes aside, good on ya for that optimism. I bet if enough squiddos would organize petitions / mass mailings to Nintendo with constructive feedback, they'd certainly take it into consideration, even if their major playerbase is in Japan. I've seen plenty of Japanese companies open up to the feedback of the Western world at some point so there's still hope left.

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
@Goolloom What I was getting at is that it was a Splatfest complaint, but not a major one. Hence why I didn't talk about it for long.
Fair enough, really. Still, it's a big complaint and that matters to a lot of people because it feels like your matches are completely worthless regardless, since they don't actually matter in the final score, you know?

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
@Goolloom I understand what you are saying. From that perspective, I can certainly see the problems that mirror matches present. I've even complained about that a few times myself. I guess it just didn't affect me very much this time.
With what Nintendo of Europe has done to our Splatfest themes, do you really think they care about us? :D
Jokes aside, good on ya for that optimism. I bet if enough squiddos would organize petitions / mass mailings to Nintendo with constructive feedback, they'd certainly take it into consideration, even if their major playerbase is in Japan. I've seen plenty of Japanese companies open up to the feedback of the Western world at some point so there's still hope left.
Think about what Capcom is doing with Monster Hunter World. They are developing that game with the specific intent to draw in a western audience. Or at least a larger one. This makes me think that other Japanese game devs will notice us if our voices are loud enough. Though perhaps it isn't a bad idea to organize a mailing campaign to get further attention levied our direction.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
"If they only cared about the JP region then we wouldn't get this game at all." The effort to translate the game and produce it for sale is still less than the effort it takes to engage with the community beyond Japan
Why do you think fans can easily translate the patch notes for this game within a couple minutes of seeing them. It doesn't take that much effort to translate an entire game, especially a game like splatoon where text isn't the most important part of the game. Sure, you have to program English characters into the game and what-not. But it's nothing strenuous and nintendo would be missing out on a lot of cash if they didn't sell the game outside of japan.

On that note, what I want to say to @ThatOneGuy is that I don't think Nintendo is going to ignore complaints. I think that they tried to address complaints and issues from the first game and accidentally created new problems.
Nintendo will ignore a lot of the west, mostly because they don't care a lot about us. As Dessgeega said, we are a secondary audience to Nintendo. Japan will continue to be healthy after the transition to paid internet services, with no adjustments to regional matchmaking, and the competitive scene will still thrive there. Meanwhile in the West, the competitive scene is rather dry, with the only big competitive youtuber being DUDE. The rest aren't known well, and there aren't too many competitive players here. The casuals are merely drawn to salmon run and splatfest, and when the latter stops being a thing I doubt many casual players will come back for this game.

And yes, many people have tried to raise voice from the west. However, not much gets to Nintendo, and if the problem doesn't affect Japan Nintendo doesn't see much use risking to possibly bring a bad change for it's core audience.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Well, win or lose Lagberry Saltpark is still a lousy map to hold Rainmaker matches on. And having a slew of squidbagging, team quitting, match quitting panda eaters to go along with the usual teammate disconnects, lag snatches, and multiple team wipes in the same match doesn't help either.

Also, the purpose of ability drinks are to level your gear faster, not obtain a specific sub ability.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
Sure, you have to program English characters into the game
I can't think of a single Japanese video game that doesn't have Roman characters in it.

Nintendo will ignore a lot of the west, mostly because they don't care a lot about us. As Dessgeega said, we are a secondary audience to Nintendo. Japan will continue to be healthy after the transition to paid internet services, with no adjustments to regional matchmaking, and the competitive scene will still thrive there. Meanwhile in the West, the competitive scene is rather dry, with the only big competitive youtuber being DUDE. The rest aren't known well, and there aren't too many competitive players here. The casuals are merely drawn to salmon run and splatfest, and when the latter stops being a thing I doubt many casual players will come back for this game.

And yes, many people have tried to raise voice from the west. However, not much gets to Nintendo, and if the problem doesn't affect Japan Nintendo doesn't see much use risking to possibly bring a bad change for it's core audience.
Playing the devil's advocate here, there really isn't much reason for Nintendo to care. While the sales at least in North America are equal to if not greater than those of Japan, (several times population will do that) I think there's a pretty big difference in terms of active players. With the first game, several people I know bought it, but I was the only one who played it past the first year (including my friend who introduced me to the game), never mind in 2017. Unfortunately, the same thing seems to be happening with Splatoon 2, at least for the people that I know.

I think the difference in player "retention rate" between the regions stems from Japan seeming to view Splatoon as much more of a competitive game than the West. Going up through the ranks in Splatoon 1, more and more Japanese names would appear with fewer and fewer non-Japanese ones to the point that in S, I was routinely the only non-Japanese name in the lobby despite it being some ungodly hour over there. As you said, @ThatOneGuy, casuals help sales, but not longevity. They show up for Splatfests and major updates, and then leave right after. I have to wonder why there is such a discrepancy within the player base between Japan and the West. I'd largely guess that it's because Splatoon is (maybe with the exception of Goldeneye 007) really the only shooter game that has ever picked up significant traction in Japan, so all the "hardcore gamers" have no other real alternative.

I hate to say it, but I think half of why Splatoon is so successful is the novelty. (Not including Japan, or at least to a lesser extent.) The number of views on YouTube videos and news coverage of Splatoon, and to a lesser extent, Splatoon 2, were insanely high coming out the gate, but lost more momentum than I think any other game of its size. "You're a kid now! You're a squid now!" made Splatoon just about mainstream for a few weeks.

Last edited:

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
Speaking as one of those Filthy Casuals, who has friends in the same boat, at least from the US perspective, we have more than enough competitive people here. As to why they're all turning Turf into a nightmare and not staying in Rank or League, that's anyone's guess. Honestly, with as brutal as Splatfest can get, I'd expect fewer casual players for those. I keep showing up for them because I like playing the game. I'm not much for shooters, but darn if I don't thoroughly enjoy Squid Wars =p

The super serious players have already got their gear rolled, wiped, chunked and rerolled into some semblance of perfection, so maybe that's why you're not seeing as many. With the new gear coming out (and props to Nintendo for these updates) I'm sure they'll be back into the grind before too long.

My one complaint is the lack of good sportsmanship I keep seeing from our people. Etiquette at the very least. You don't have to be a total smurf, just..be decent to your teammates and opponents. It's a game, not a job. Have more fun, get less salt.

I'll just see myself out :rolleyes:

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
we have more than enough competitive people here. As to why they're all turning Turf into a nightmare and not staying in Rank or League, that's anyone's guess.
Don't mistake aggressiveness for competitiveness; they get an insane amount of kills, but I'm sure they would look much less impressive if the game revealed their number of deaths. From the experiences I have with Splatoon 2 Turf War, the Japanese S players from Splatoon 1 could kick most all their ***es. I really don't play Turf War too often though; I seem to be the opposite of you when it comes to how/why I play Splatoon. I love the concept and the core gameplay mechanics of Splatoon, but I do not like a lot of the other choices Nintendo made with gameplay, like why you run slow as tar and have garbage health, as I feel they lower the skill ceiling. I was hopeful Nintendo would fix the problems I had with Splatoon 1 upon making the sequel, (especially upon seeing the esport stadium reveal) but to my disappointment, they only made many of them worse. I could go on and on about this, but I don't think anyone wants to hear me rant anymore. :p

My one complaint is the lack of good sportsmanship I keep seeing from our people. Etiquette at the very least. You don't have to be a total smurf, just..be decent to your teammates and opponents. It's a game, not a job. Have more fun, get less salt.
How can you tell? Routine squidbagging?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom