The Fan Language of Splatoon

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
Worked on Nihon-mode a bit, specified katakana minus youon and rendaku, as well as some special characters.

First preview.

EDIT: Characters in ka row were actually intended for a.
I'm Japanese and I don't like that. It looks like a needless complication of the syllabary. We should have just used the normal syllabary to transcribe Japanese (with rotated |noi| (王) as ん) and used the special letters sparingly. Languages that use the same alphabet usually have, and should have more or less the same sound assigned to the same letter (unless it's something like the letter X).

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Well, it isn't complete until I declare it.

Some sounds in this alphabet are not present in Japanese, and vice versa, as I noted several times with "Original: <sound>." Constructed characters are noted with "Modified," and most of the katakana were such. Some alluded to other alphabets (e.g. イ=И=i).

EDIT: Didn't you agree with the special characters to be used as kanji idea?

Also, PiyozR, we're waiting (patiently).

Last edited:

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
Well, it isn't complete until I declare it.

Some sounds in this alphabet are not present in Japanese, and vice versa, as I noted several times with "Original: <sound>." Constructed characters are noted with "Modified," and most of the katakana were such. Some alluded to other alphabets (e.g. イ=И=i).
Why can't you just transcribe with what we have?

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
It's 200 and some odd characters required to transcribe both hiragana and katakana, including rendaku and youon.

EDIT: To be exact, it's 210.

The Squid-script doesn't have enough glyphs, but some in-game glyphs were not used.

Last edited:

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
It's 200 and some odd characters required to transcribe both hiragana and katakana, including rendaku and youon.

EDIT: To be exact, it's 210.

The Squid-script doesn't have enough glyphs, but some in-game glyphs were not used.
Then why don't you assign the unused ones for the missing Japanese syllables?

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Then why don't you assign the unused ones for the missing Japanese syllables?
I did. In the katakana chart.

Many of the glyphs that were not used in this project but were still in-game were what I used.

It still wasn't enough, which is why I used the soft mark.

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
I did. In the katakana chart.

Many of the glyphs that were not used in this project but were still in-game were what I used.

It still wasn't enough, which is why I used the soft mark.
|ai|, |ie|, and |oi| should be replaced with |ya|, |yu|, and |yo| then. I also see no necessity for a katakana equivalent; a alphabetic system like Zhuyin would benefit the project more.

TheEnderFriend

Inkling
NNID
TheEnderFriend
In words like /be eya/ (To Splat) how do you pronounce the double e sound? In the dictionary, it is written as beeya, so is it pronounced like "bay ayya" (separated syllables), "bay-uh" (joined syllables) of "bee-uh" (the two e's making the 'ee' sound)
I apologize i this was already mentioned in this thread somewhere.

Also, if I wanted to submit a word, could I just add it in the dictionary, or do I have to post it here first?

Thanks

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
In words like /be eya/ (To Splat) how do you pronounce the double e sound? In the dictionary, it is written as beeya, so is it pronounced like "bay ayya" (separated syllables), "bay-uh" (joined syllables) of "bee-uh" (the two e's making the 'ee' sound)

Also, if I wanted to submit a word, could I just add it in the dictionary, or do I have to post it here first?

Thanks
More or less, it's all of those except for the last one; double-e does not work in here the same way it works in English.

Also, it's impossible for anonymous users to edit the dictionary, but feel free to post any word suggestions.

TheEnderFriend

Inkling
NNID
TheEnderFriend
More or less, it's all of those except for the last one; double-e does not work in here the same way it works in English.

Also, it's impossible for anonymous users to edit the dictionary, but feel free to post any word suggestions.
Thanks a lot :)

theFIZZYnator

Inkling

Thanks
I pronounce it "bé-e-ya", following the second-last-letter rule, but in that case, the second E fuses into the first often.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
I've thought up a Zhuyin for Inkling. Sorry for the bad image editing. I only had the Pixlr app.
This is looking pretty neat! I guess this could be a way for younger Inklings to learn the syllabary until they get the hang of it, similar to Chinese Zhuyin.

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Update on Japanese Mode:

Got pissed off from rendering characters for youon. For consistency all characters use the base glyph plus the "soft mark" to the right (and it's different for katakana and hiragana).

The characters for ja, ju, jo, etc. were all allocated to special characters.

Hiragana n is the character suggested by @theFIZZYnator, while katakana n is my glyph.

Still need rendaku for katakana. Any suggestions?

I am not creating a "hard mark" for rendaku, because of pa, pi, pu, pe, and po.

Oh, and for practicality: words. For Inkling.

|zi|: 最 (sai) equivalent (superlative word prefix).
|ayani| "in addition,"
|oyapa| Japanese 「やっぱり」(either). Means "as I thought," when starting a sentence.
|abunai| (loanword: 「危ない」) "Watch out!" (Japanese for "dangerous;" colloquially means "watch out")
|daipiichi| (loanword: 大ピンチ, dai-pinchi) A colloquial expression which roughly translates to (in both languages), "Something really bad is going on!" (EDIT: |piichi| is in less severe cases)

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Just to throw it out, Octoling script.

This script is not mutually intelligible with Inkling script, as for one thing, the glyphs are different. The languages themselves only have partial asymmetric mutual intelligibility.

My primary proposal for this is an "abugida," where consonants are written out and vowels are represented by diacritic-like marks. However, starting vowels will be written out. Think Quenya and the Tengwar script.

I might also take:
* Mora-based (like Japanese).
* An alphabet (Consonants like "ch" will be represented by one letter).
* Perhaps an abjad, where consonants are written out, but vowels are not represented.

The Inkling script would be used to write loanwords, albeit modified to whatever mode this language is set to.

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Word update.

* |Iyoshi!| (interj.): "Alright!"/"Okay!" Typically with an informal connotation.
* |odo| (n.): sea urchin
* |unoto| (adj.): dangerous
* |kaniye| (adj.): fast
* |waiya| (adj.) slow
* |fiise| (v.): to stand
* |ka-ota| (adj.) long
* EDIT: |tana| (adj.) short
* |kiiyu| (adv.) suddenly

EDIT: For some reason I think |Shibuya| should be Booyah Base, but that's just me.

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
New guide has been released since August 25 (for some reason I wasn't notified).

Link.

The guide clarifies things like the doubled-vowel rule, stress, and so on.

Made this post so people don't have to dig around the thread.

EDIT: Error fix.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom