The Fan Language of Splatoon

TheEnderFriend

Inkling
NNID
TheEnderFriend
After looking at the script, I think the words for girl/boy should be sused for female/male and girl/boy respectively, since IMO saying "I am a boy Inkling" is less smooth than "I am a male inkling". Thoughts?

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Words (for big and small, and other things).

* big: |taio|
* small: |miji|
* north: |boku|
* south: |nami|
* east: |toka|
* west: |saina|

EDIT: FYI, this was all overwriting a repeat post.

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
I am allocating one of my spare posts to this recent finding.

In the Japanese version, both Callie and Marie use vernacular Kansai-ben terminology.

So the WMG we had about Calamari County (btw, Calamari Region in Europe) being a seperate region from Inkopolis is actually plausible.

Edited to remove redundancy.

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Mod, delete my repeat posts, please (again).
I have a PoS internet. (EDIT: Not necessary; I overwrote new content to them)

EDIT: |ekuri(pusu)| or |MT| can be a colloquial expression meaning "something that fails at exactly inconvenient moments."

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
So this is the last of my consecutive string of posts.

Geography-related terms.

How would we handle them? What would be the terms, and what would they equate to in US/Japan terms?

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
The document already has words for big and small: |dagá| and |zapí| respectively.

The other words, and your other posts, are fine, though.
Sorry; must have missed something, but I couldn't find it in the PDF.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
EDIT 6: There should be a slang term along the lines of "turn orange" or "become orange" meaning "to lose motivation" or "to despair" because the Inkling letters for {homao} look like a person on all fours.
Either that, or |fatáyo| because that word also looks like someone on all fours. My one objection with |homáo| is because I feel it would contradict the strong image of the promotional Inkling girl.

Last edited:

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
In the Japanese version, both Callie and Marie use vernacular Kansai-ben terminology.

So the WMG we had about Calamari County (btw, Calamari Region in Europe) being a seperate region from Inkopolis is actually plausible.
We could have PiyozR's willy-nilly accent rule for Calamari County dialect/Kansai-ben, and have the smoother-flowing penultimate accent as the Inkopolis/standard dialect.

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
We could have PiyozR's willy-nilly accent rule for Calamari County dialect/Kansai-ben, and have the smoother-flowing penultimate accent as the Inkopolis/standard dialect.
TBH I don't use either one (or rather, I stress syllables arbitrarily). It's almost like I speak Tohoku-ben of Inkling.

(I lived in the Kanto region of Japan for a long while.)

EDIT: Within the next few moments I am gonna create some sort of a "supplementary" text (two, actually, but one of them is going to be a chart): "What is Calamari-ben?"

The other is gonna be a relationship chart of all languages in this universe.

Last edited:

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
SIDE NOTE: When adding words, do not reference internet memes at all.
I was considering changing those. Now that you said that, I'm going to keep them in.

I think Inkling should have an equivalent of the Japanese の, as in 僕の (my) or 墨の (the ink's), which changes the previous noun into a possessive.
I was originally planning not to. Something simple like {eya} could suffice. Gonna add that tonight. Might require some serious re-writing.

Nice idea! Though I think you should mention the other simplified stress rule and have some voice samples using said rule. I would be willing to provide said samples; I recently found an Inkling voice tutorial that I could use.
Stress rules explanation would be a great way to scare away viewers. For that, my slow and steady pronunciation should work. However, I'd consider samples for the PDF.

EDIT: What's the point of having the second {e} in {uyoseeže} if it's going to be assimilated anyway?
EDIT 2: There's a word for "tentacle" but there aren't words for "arms" or "legs". I guess that would make some sense, but I think even the Inklings would have to differentiate the different limbs too.
EDIT 3: I thought "music" was {diho}, not {diže}.
EDIT 4: {gobi muyo} (Inkstrike) still uses the old usage of j.
EDIT 5: Why doesn't {eeyadu} assimilate the two E's?
Most of these come from us ripping the Inkling words from the game and using them ourselves. They may be a little clunky, but they're free words. As for "music", I changed it so that it's a remnant of the English term "disc jockey". The notation for {gobi muyo} has been fixed.

EDIT 6: There should be a slang term along the lines of "turn orange" or "become orange" meaning "to lose motivation" or "to despair" because the Inkling letters for {homao} look like a person on all fours.
Now THAT's clever. As a native English speaker, I rarely think of using the form of my alphabet in such a way. For us, things like emoticons are pretty new. Learning Chinese gave me a run for my money when language partners started throwing around "囧" in e-mails. Anyway, gonna add that tonight under Verbs. I could even imagine "orange" becoming a slang word for "weak", "timid" or "ineffectual".

EDIT:
After looking at the script, I think the words for girl/boy should be sused for female/male and girl/boy respectively, since IMO saying "I am a boy Inkling" is less smooth than "I am a male inkling". Thoughts?
I can remedy this easily by just adding the same words to the Descriptor list.

Last edited:

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Words (for big and small, and other things).
* big: |taio|
* small: |miji|
* north: |boku|
* south: |nami|
* east: |toka|
* west: |saina|
Are you sure you don't want to make those Japanese cognates?
I changed the memes to random numbers, you big baby.

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Are you sure you don't want to make those Japanese cognates?
They were actually derived from onyomi, a Chinese-based reading in Japanese, used exclusively for compounds. I may need to rethink those; those were the first out of my head (Who wants me to make them false friends of other language terms?).

Except for "big" and "small."
Small actually had part of the word for "short."

If they were Japanese cognates, they would have been |okii|, |chisai|, |kita|, |minami|, |higashi|, and |nishi|.

SIDE NOTE: Kinship terms? Do they have seperate terms for "big brother" and "little brother," and so on?

EDIT: It wasn't me who complained about meme-based suggestions.

It was @theFIZZYnator.

OTHER EDIT: "West can actually be |zaina| instead of |saina.| Your contenders are also welcome.

ANOTHER EDIT: |mimu| can be "poison."

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
My first draft of "About the Calamari Dialect."

I wrote this as if I translated it verbatim from the said dialect, even though some words we do not yet have in the language, even in Standard.

The "original author" was a character of my creation.

NOTE: Many differences I noted were arbitrary. I would like to know what you think, and give me suggestions.

What the heck is "Common Speech" as described in the article......? Fufufu.

Updated 9/8/2015.

Attachments

Last edited:

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Ladies and gentlemen, pat yourselves on the back. We have officially made enough Inkling conlang content that the PDF now requires a table of contents. We've done it. We've touched the sun and reached the gates of Valhalla.

I spent the night making more corrections, adding the cardinal directions and a grammar point about the possessive particle. One of these days, I'm going to get the Tumblr set up along with the YouTube. Hopefully soon. Preferably while Splatoon is still on people's minds.

Last edited:

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
Ladies and gentlemen, pat yourselves on the back. We have officially made enough Inkling conlang content that the PDF now requires a table of contents. We've done it. We've touched the sun and reached the gates of Valhalla.

I spent the night making more corrections, adding the cardinal directions and a grammar point about the possessive particle. Attached to this is the guide. I'm also going to attach this to my post on the second page. One of these days, I'm going to get the Tumblr set up along with the YouTube. Hopefully soon. Preferably while Splatoon is still on people's minds.
I suggest adding the line:
"Unlike in the Inkopolis (Highcollar) dialect, where the accent is always placed on the penultimate mora, the accent in the Calamari dialect is more unpredictable."
under Phonology or Overview.

EDIT: Since we're defying official time period settings anyway with borrowing from Japanese, which would not be spoken by the time squids started to rise onto the land (Our civilization would have been long gone underwater.), let's make a word for "human". Something that means "no-ink-zoi" or "dry-zoi" would do.

EDIT 2: It says it was written by "Eclipse" but there aren't any words pertaining to phases of the moon, or a word for the moon itself.

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
EDIT: Since we're defying official time period settings anyway with borrowing from Japanese, which would not be spoken by the time squids started to rise onto the land (Our civilization would have been long gone underwater.), let's make a word for "human". Something that means "no-ink-zoi" or "dry-zoi" would do.
What about "warm-blood-zoi?"

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
What about "warm-blood-zoi?"
"Warm-ink-zoi" would be perfect, since the closest Inklings have to blood is ink. I'd actually prefer "warm-red-ink" as Inkling for blood, but there's no Inkling for red, which is weird if you think about it. Red is one of the most common colors we see.

Also, I looked at the syllabary and guessed how Inklings would pronounce the buttons.
A - {mi}
B - {zu}
X - {zi}
Y - This was the only hard one; either {ge}, {bi}, or {zoi} sans the bottom stroke
L - {hu}
R - {ri}
ZL - {za·hu}
ZR - {za·ri}

Hoo boy, the rewrite of my Inkling Dictionary's gonna take a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom