• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Fan Language of Splatoon

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
An earlier post of mine from about 5 or so days ago. I think it was missed.

Word update.

* |Iyoshi!| (interj.): "Alright!"/"Okay!" Typically with an informal connotation.
* |odo| (n.): sea urchin
* |unoto| (adj.): dangerous
* |kaniye| (adj.): fast
* |waiya| (adj.) slow
* |fiise| (v.): to stand
* |ka-ota| (adj.) long
* EDIT: |tana| (adj.) short
* |kiiyu| (adv.) suddenly

EDIT: For some reason I think |Shibuya| should be Booyah Base, but that's just me.
Iyoshi, let's add some more words.

EDIT: The possessive particle can also mean "of."

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
EDIT 2: It says it was written by "Eclipse" but there aren't any words pertaining to phases of the moon, or a word for the moon itself.
"Eclipse" is the author's alias.

(And coincidentally, my IGN).

Real name was over black ink because ONI didn't want me to know it.

EDIT: A word for "eclipse" can incorporate "moon" and a transitive verb for either "to block" or "to swallow."

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
I spent the night making more corrections, adding the cardinal directions and a grammar point about the possessive particle. Attached to this is the guide. I'm also going to attach this to my post on the second page. One of these days, I'm going to get the Tumblr set up along with the YouTube. Hopefully soon. Preferably while Splatoon is still on people's minds.
Elvish is still interesting after 10 years following the films.

piboy430

Inkling
I am LOVING this new PDF look! It looks so much more official now. Maybe it was the table of contents that did it...

I have come with some new words that I brainstormed on the bus ride home. I'm very sorry for the sheer amount of them; I got a bit carried away...

Nouns:
|káno| : Thought
|kíyokáno| : Idea (lit. 'sudden thought'. See below for 'kíyo')
|birá| : Light (from 'biríe', see below)
|kóiwe| : Fear (from 'kóiwai', see below)
|híyo| : Sun
|ŧuge| : Moon
|zárai| : Sky
|šaége| : Blockage, Obstruction (from 'šaégu', see below)
|záraišaége| : Eclipse (lit. 'sky blockage', used when referring to any kind of eclipse)
|híyošaége| : Solar Eclipse (lit. 'sun blockage')
|ŧugešaége| : Lunar Eclipse (lit. 'moon blockage')
|šaégehíyo| : Suncream (lit. 'block sun'. Couldn't resist writing this ;) )
|oyúbai| : Roof (from 'oyúbu', see below)
|kižá| : Cloth, Towel
|kižáoyúbai| : Tent (lit. 'cloth roof')
|ŧasúyo| : Blood (shortened from 'uyeŧáko subái múyo', lit. 'warm red ink'. See below for 'uyeŧáko' and 'subái')
|komuzói| : Human (shortened from 'uyeŧáko múyo zói' lit. 'warm ink thing')

Verbs:
|šaégu| : To Block, To Hinder
|oyúbu| : To Cover
|biríe| : To Shine
|ŧákai| : To Heat, To Warm (from 'ŧáko', see below)
|šumé| : To Cool (from 'šumá', see below)
|subói| : To Blush (from 'subái', see below)
|kóiwai| : To Fear, To Be Scared
|báyu| : To Scare Something/Someone

Descriptors:
|ŧáko| : Hot
|uyeŧáko| : Warm (lit. 'a little hot'. See below for 'uye')
|košu| : Lukewarm
|uyéšumá| : Cool (lit. 'a little cold'. See below for 'uye')
|šumá| : Cold
|subái| : Red (FINALLY)
|žéki| : Abrupt (originally 'sudden')
|kóiwu| : Nervous (from 'kóiwai')
|kíyu| : Sudden (original word for 'sudden', suggested by EclipseMT.)

Misc.:
|uye| : A Little, A Bit (can stand alone, or can attach onto adjectives to soften their meaning. Example: I si uye kóiwu. = I am a bit nervous.)
|zíuyogái| : Today (lit. 'now day')
|ŧunigái| : Tomorrow (lit. 'next day')
|zenigái| : Yesterday (lit. 'previous day')
|téze| : Here (from 'téna' (this) with the 'ze' of 'maéze' (everywhere))
|dóze| : There (from 'doáne' (that) with the 'ze' of 'maéze' (everywhere))

These last two words may be a bit redundant, but here they are anyway:

|wasáide| : Later (as in 'Later, I went to Arowana Mall'. Based on 'wasáida')
|zúku| : Earlier (as in 'Eariler, I met Callie.' Based on 'zúki')

Again, sorry for saturating this forum in new words. I just don't want the language to be constrained at all by its vocab.

Edit: Added EclipseMT's 'kíyu' as the new 'sudden', as well as an altered 'idea'.

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
These come from a post I made that probably wasn't looked at.

|zi|: 最 (sai) equivalent (superlative word prefix).
|ayani| "in addition,"
|oyapa| Japanese 「やっぱり」(either). Means "as I thought," when starting a sentence.
|abunai| (loanword: 「危ない」) "Watch out!" (Japanese for "dangerous;" colloquially means "watch out")
|daipiichi| (loanword: 大ピンチ, dai-pinchi) A colloquial expression which roughly translates to (in both languages), "Something really bad is going on!" (|piichi| is in less severe cases)

EDIT: We might need a word for "to become." I suggest |nasi|.

And if we do transitive vs. intransitive distinction (like Japanese), we need a transitive form.

「なる」 is intransitive; 「する」 is transitive.

And like "suru," the transitive form can make a noun into a verb (e.g. Japanese 破壊する, "to destroy," incorporates the noun for "destruction").

Last edited:

piboy430

Inkling
Earlier I suggested |kiiyu| for "sudden(ly)."
I don't think I ever saw that post. However, IMO, we have quite a few words that start with the 'k' sound. 'žeki' seems like an alternative that broadens the language's sound range in words (at least, using the sounds that we already have). That's why I chose to have the 'ŧa' as often as I did, as there were only two other words that had the sound, and none were at the beginning of the word. I did a similar thing with 'uye'.

Edit: Oh, by the way, not to sound picky and rude, but,
We might need a word for "to become."
We already have one in the PDF: |židá|. One of the new verbs incorporated it, too: |židá homáo| -> to despair

Edit 2: How about we make 'žeki' the word for 'abrupt' instead? The meanings are similar, but not identical.

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Edit 2: How about we make 'žeki' the word for 'abrupt' instead? The meanings are similar, but not identical.
That would be great.

EDIT: We already have words for "tomorrow" and so on. They simply do "next day," "previous day," "before-previous day," and the like, but not contracted.

ANOTHER EDIT: |nori| is my proposed word for "only."

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Updated "Calamari-ben" report, which is more or less complete at this point in time.

EDIT: Inconsistency error: at one point "to be" appears as |si| where locally it is |su|.

OTHER EDIT: What do you think? Is it still mutually intelligible with the Inkopolis/Highcolor dialect?

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
You should have used braces if you could type the special characters. i.e. {zaraišaege} = |zaraishaege|
I can't type Czech characters.

But I know how to install keyboards, and Czech isn't one of my most frequently used languages.

EDIT: I just realized you weren't talking to me........:scared:

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
I summed up the current state of the language again. Inkopolis Dialect has the simpler Penultimate Rule, analogous to US English's simplified spelling. The currently planned Octoling language should be verbally mutually intelligible should it be made.

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
If I take the reins of the Octoling language project, I will not make it tonal.

Verb conjugation and noun declension is okay.

EDIT: In terms of mutual intelligibility, is it symmetrical or asymmetrical?

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
|téze| : Here (from 'téna' (this) with the 'ze' of 'maéze' (everywhere))
|dóze| : There (from 'doáne' (that) with the 'ze' of 'maéze' (everywhere))
We should also add a word for yon (Spa. allá; Jpn. あそこ) as opposed to there (Spa. allí; Jpn. そこ). I suggest {čidóze}.

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
If we are going to do the ここ/そこ/あそこ route, we might need to add a word for あの (that one away from us (definite)).

SIDE NOTE: Japanese demonstrative words (this/that/here/there) work differently than English.

In Japanese, there are three distinctions relative to the speaker/listener: near the speaker, near the listener, and away from both.

Like the aforementioned "koko/soko/asoko" (demonstrative adverbs), Japanese also has demonstrative nouns (kono/sono/ano) and pronouns (kore/sore/are).

Last edited:

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
I'm not sure whether you're saying that as a good thing or a bad thing....
It's a joke. I'm not going to turn away freebies. Thank you all for all the vocab and stuff you've contributed!

First thing: the word {teno} is the word for "human". Unless you specifically want a word for ancient Homo Sapiens like us.

Second thing: I employed the word {uya} as a prefix for "a little" or "a bit" or "a piece" along with a brief description. Looking back, I found that the word for "cat" is {uyaredu}. I went and added {redu} as a word for "tiger", retroactively making {uyaredu} into "small tiger".

Third thing: I added your vocabulary, including "blood" and "cloth/towel". Using the logic of Inkling, I planned on adding those together as {ŧasuyokižá} for "sanitary napkin" or "pantyliner". In addition, {šaégeŧasuyo} would be "blood obstacle" or "tampon". Then I had another thought: Inklings aren't mammals; they're still basically sea creatures. I can't imagine their females would have menstrual cycles. Then again, Inkling and Octarian girls seem to have breasts in human form.

This all makes as much sense as Silurians in Doctor Who.

Elvish is still interesting after 10 years following the films.
Yeah, with language nerds and hard-core Tolkien followers. Not with ninety-nine percent of LOTR/Hobbit fans. However, I'm not that worried. Nintendo has been releasing regular content for Splatoon with no end in sight. I foresee the huge social media presence of this game not dwindling any time soon.

Adding the new PDF to this post and the main post.

Attachments

Andy-the-Dandy

Inkling
NNID
Fast_Attack
Corrections: In the PDF guide, |hahu| (to laugh) is written as |hazhe| in Inkling. Also, |zhiemiza oide| ("did you understand?") is transliterated and translated as |sofu oide| ("did you win?") I think you may have meant to change that example.

Suggestion: in Esperanto, nouns, verbs, adverbs and adjectives are all pretty much interchangeable. Nobody ever uses, say, "hat" as anything other than a noun because it makes no sense, but it's grammatically correct to do so. Could Inkling work like that, too?

Some of the descriptors are already adjectives, adverbs and nouns, so it doesn't seem like such a huge stretch. It would mean, for example, we could use the same words for "good shot" and "to shoot well," |beota papa|. That could then also mean "to shoot goodness," a useless meaning for anything other than an especially cheesy Saturday morning cartoon. Or would it be too confusing?

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
Suggestion: in Esperanto, nouns, verbs, adverbs and adjectives are all pretty much interchangeable. Nobody ever uses, say, "hat" as anything other than a noun because it makes no sense, but it's grammatically correct to do so. Could Inkling work like that, too?
In Esperanto, all nouns end in -o and all adjectives end in -a, while verbs are conjugated in other endings. What I think should happen is a suffix to put on nouns to make them verbs, or vice versa. Same for nouns<->adjectives, or verbs<->adjectives.

Some of the descriptors are already adjectives, adverbs and nouns, so it doesn't seem like such a huge stretch. It would mean, for example, we could use the same words for "good shot" and "to shoot well," |beota papa|. That could then also mean "to shoot goodness," a useless meaning for anything other than an especially cheesy Saturday morning cartoon. Or would it be too confusing?
{beota papa} "good shot" while {papa beota} weans "shoot well" is how I understand it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom