• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

The Fan Language of Splatoon

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Speaking of slang:

Can evil be derived from a term meaning "8-limbed?"

Andy-the-Dandy

Inkling
NNID
Fast_Attack
The phrase "Your ink is thin" could be considered an insult comparable to being a weakling, because if your ink is too thin you'll have brought a water pistol to a turf war.
I interpreted it differently. From an old Splatoon tweet:
Squids squirt ink to create a substitute to escape their predators. It's an oily substance, difficult to dissolve in water, that becomes a sort of mass. On the other hand, octopi use ink as a smoke screen. It is water soluble in order to spread. Like oil and water, even the inks of the two species doesn't mix.
So if your ink is thin... you might be an Octarian! It works out either way.

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
I interpreted it differently. From an old Splatoon tweet:
>> Squids squirt ink to create a substitute to escape their predators. It's an oily substance, difficult to dissolve in water, that becomes a sort of mass. On the other hand, octopuses use ink as a smoke screen. It is water soluble in order to spread. Like oil and water, even the inks of the two species doesn't mix.
So if your ink is thin... you might be an Octarian! It works out either way.
You thin-inked Octarian! Thinking of it like that is just...amazing. Thanks Andy, that is the best thing ever.
I can imagine that word being the equivalent of something like "cracker".

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
So "devil" is a colloquial expression meaning "whoever copied from us," or vice versa?

Iyoshi, I'm all in.
I think since the Inkling word for god is derived from Nintendo, the word for devil/Satan should be derived from Disney. I picture Inkling mythology being something like {Ninutenu} creating the world, and {Diŧunia} becoming jealousand copying the work of {Ninutenu} but instead failing and creating Hell.

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Earlier post from two weeks ago; wanna make sure it doesn't bite the dust because nobody sees it.

Word update.

* |Iyoshi!| (interj.): "Alright!"/"Okay!" Typically with an informal connotation.
* |odo| (n.): sea urchin
* |unoto| (adj.): dangerous
* |kaniye| (adj.): fast
* |waiya| (adj.) slow
* |fiise| (v.): to stand
* |ka-ota| (adj.) long
* EDIT: |tana| (adj.) short
* |kiiyu| (adv.) suddenly

EDIT: For some reason I think |Shibuya| should be Booyah Base, but that's just me.
EDIT: Who else got |nori| as "only?"

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
I think since the Inkling word for god is derived from Nintendo, the word for devil/Satan should be derived from Disney. I picture Inkling mythology being something like {Ninutenu} creating the world, and {Diŧunia} becoming jealousand copying the work of {Ninutenu} but instead failing and creating Hell.
Try connect this with the Tanuki and Kitsune in the plaza and I'd be impressed.

What about |Soni| and |Maikuerosofu|?

EDIT: What about other species?

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
Try connect this with the Tanuki and Kitsune in the plaza and I'd be impressed.

What about |Soni| and |Maikuerosofu|?

EDIT: What about other species?
I'd reserve those two for foreign gods worshipped in a faraway land. Like Vishnu or Thor for a European.

Not sure what you mean by other species.

calthax

Inkling
Here's a few suggestions.

Jelly Fresh: oi oei

DJ Octavio: dižezoi piesu-zoi (lit: DJ Octarian)

Octomaw: piesu zaiiya

Octostomp: piesu eeyadu

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
How have we been doing this for....what is it, 3 months now, and still not have a word for "here" or "there?"

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
How have we been doing this for....what is it, 3 months now, and still not have a word for "here" or "there?"
{teze} and {doze}

Sorry about the silence this time, everyone. This week was chaos for me irl. I should have the newest update on the PDF up tonight. It will have all the vocab suggested above that I could fit and Fizzy's suggestion about numbers. Check back later.

calthax

Inkling
{teze} and {doze}

Sorry about the silence this time, everyone. This week was chaos for me irl. I should have the newest update on the PDF up tonight. It will have all the vocab suggested above that I could fit and Fizzy's suggestion about numbers. Check back later.
When you work on the lessons, on the old thread, remember the screenshot of Nintendo saying the audio is gibberish and they have no answer to the language? Are you going to use these?

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
New vocabulary: Kinship terms.

Whether or not I am to make them to distinguish relative order of kinship (i.e. older siblings vs. younger siblings) is still yet to be decided. However, as we have biological-gender-specific terms, there will be terms for sisters and brothers.

Sibling (general): |koishu|
Brother: |eyokoi|
Sister: |ayokoi|
Parent: |taida|
Father: |eyotai|
Mother:|ayotai|
Cousin (general term): |pesi|

For aunt and uncle, I guess we can stick to "parent's sibling."

Non si jachu no deka shipawe ya. Shindo sichu.

EDIT: Bonus points to whomever can translate.

Last edited:

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
When you work on the lessons, on the old thread, remember the screenshot of Nintendo saying the audio is gibberish and they have no answer to the language? Are you going to use these?
I grabbed that screenshot for reference. I also grabbed a shot of the user in the old thread who is working to decipher the code that Nintendo used to generate the meaningless Inkling and Octarian text.

I added @EclipseMT 's new kinship vocab and am uploading it to the post on the second page and here.

Non si jachu no deka shipawe ya. Shindo sichu.

EDIT: Bonus points to whomever can translate.
Sorry, I don't speak orange, eight-limbed Piesuzoi's language. {Buyo edu si zitoto}

Attachments

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom