• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Fan Language of Splatoon

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Pretty soon I might create /r/SplatoonConlang.

EDIT: I'll get on with it.

Last edited:

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Pretty soon I might create /r/SplatoonConlang.
I was thinking of making a Tumblr for this. There's already a large Tumblr fanbase for Splatoon. Lots of exposure there. Would Reddit be better? I've never made one of either, so I'm not sure which social media outlet would be best for displaying a project like ours.

I already set up a page (incomplete so far) on my personal website just for hosting the PDF and then links to various websites (the YouTube channel, maybe Reddit, maybe Tumblr, Squidboards). That will be the hub. Right now, I'm going with the title "Inkopolis University" for the Inkling side of things.

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
How long until the first video is out?
Tough to say. I have it all written out and all the visuals and audio assembled. I just have to coordinate this all with my friend. I will keep you all updated as things progress. These videos will be very simple in style and not very long. It shouldn't be that huge of an undertaking.

BladeHenge

Inkling
NNID
BladeHenge
Inkling conlang tumblr, etc, etc, etc
Just wanted to pop in here (I've been lurking in this thread almost exclusively, love the work you guys are doing!) and say I'm pretty familiar with Tumblr's layout if you have any questions. Editing the layout of the blog is pretty easy, it's HTML and there's tons of tutorials online to help. If anyone has any questions about a blog layout or how to run the blog/schedule automatic posts feel free to let me know and I'll try to answer everything I can.

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
I have a question, how do you make the videos?
I imagine my friend is using some video editing software. Or maybe she's drawing on to printer paper and holding them in front of her laptop camera. How do people even make internet videos, anyway?

Andy-the-Dandy

Inkling
NNID
Fast_Attack
I thought the word for "blood" was pretty useless. But then I remembered this comic. I used the variants of the e-shaped characters. Enjoy!
blank this ink is kind of like our blood one out of two updates.png
E: Hmmm... you know something?
R: {ena ena... i žizái séso.}
G: Uh... I think how. (I figure Inklings start their conversations about feelings and thoughts like this with, "you/I think how" either way)

E: This ink is kinda like our blood.
R: {téna múyo si mabunói noi éya tsasúyo}
G: This ink is sort-of our blood. (the simile was lost in translation)

E: And we splash each other with it.
R: {wa noi béya tenó ki zoi.}
G: And we splat kids with it. (I use "splat" to refer to the general throwing around of ink. Also "kids" to mean "people" in general because Inklings are kids by default. And the preposition "with" to mean "using.")

E: Paint the walls with it, even swim in it.
R: {béya mará ki zoi, héi noi wúi boídu ri zoi.}
G: Splat walls with it, we even swim in it. (we can say this now! yay!)

E: It's messed up, really.
R: {henú buá, i žizái.}
G: Very disgusting, I think.

E: ...yep.
R: {...iyásu.}
G: ...yep.

EDIT: Updated with new grammar. EclipseMT's comments are from before the structure in "we even swim in it" was introduced. Neither of us liked my workaround.

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
E: Paint the walls with it, even swim in it.
R: {béya mará ki zoi, iyáni boídu ri zoi.}
G: Splat walls with it, in-addition swim in it. ("in addition" doesn't sound like he's especially disgusted with
I constructed |iyani| with the intention of being used as "In addition," when starting a sentence (like Japanese "sara ni").

We might need a seperate word for "even" as an adverb, and come up with more adverbs of a similar function (of course, with different meanings).

Artlanging. An art in itself.

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Just wanna say that comic is awesome. I love seeing art using our conlang.

I've been hard at work on the video script and visuals. Updates coming soon. My video creator is going in for bone marrow surgery. That's mainly been the delay.

piboy430

Inkling
Found some errors in the PDF recently:
  • Page 12: The word 'machine' has the wrong 'že' character in it (should be reversed)
  • Page 29: 'Never mind' has the character for 'koi', but in the romanisation it says 'ku'
  • Page 29: 'Are you OK?' uses the character 'bi' at the start, not 'be', as it should be.
And I'll bring up another of by comments that seems to have been missed (context added by me in brackets):
(in response to a post where the word 'redu' was created because 'uya' was at the start of a word) May I ask why you didn't stick with {uye}? I chose it specifically BECAUSE no words started with it. {redu} can stay as 'tiger', though maybe a broader definition like 'big cat' or 'panther' would be better.
In the PDF the words for 'warm' and 'cool' are both transcribed using 'uye', but are written using 'uya' (another typo). We might want to reach a consensus on this one...

More comments:
(referring to the comment you made on 'block blood' being the word for 'tampon') Funny, I would have thought that {šaégeŧasuyo} would have been 'bandage' (and maybe {ŧasuyokižá} as 'handkerchief', referring to nosebleeds? This is stretching it a little, though.)

Oh, also, you have {šaége} down as both the word for 'blockage' and 'to block'. 'To block' should be {šaégu}.
EDIT: {giúno} can be 'versus'

Last edited:

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
@piboy430 I noticed your corrections and corrected them. I'm gonna spend tonight reading through the guide and hopefully I'll find more little errors.

Concerning "cat" and "tiger", we ripped {uyaredu} from early Splatfest t-shirts as simple freebies*. It seemed only natural to me that Inklings in the far future (when no cats exist save for Judd) would think of bygone cats as simply smaller versions of a bygone tiger. Not as cute, domestic animals that ancient primates would have in their homes. I kinda chose those words that way to illustrate how much Inklings don't know about these long-extinct animals.

@ShoniGriffox As far as that one line goes, that's correct Inkling! Just note that the {henu} can go immediately before or immediately after the {gigai}. Both are acceptable. None of us is fluent enough to know if Inklings would say {da u kiyokano} for "on one idea". For all we know, they may say {gaeyu u kiyokano} "about one idea", {ri u kiyokano} "in one idea", or {ki u kiyokano}"with one idea".

*Taking words from Splatoon directly isn't something we did a lot. After a certain point, we got a good handle on how to create our own words in Inkling. Also, the vocab in Splatoon isn't exactly what we'd find useful. Do we need a word for "marshmallow?" "Messy", "science", and "North Pole", on the other hand...

calthax

Inkling
It depends, on whether our ideas to expand the dictionary. Maybe I'll try to make out some more.

Art: reeyadu
Ant: rehodo

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
What would happen, however, when a word which we have constructed has been such for a awhile, and then same word appears in a splatfest, but different?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom