• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Fan Language of Splatoon

ShoniGriffox

Inkling
@PiyozR Oh really? I was certain that I screwed it up.
Anyways, I'll keep what you stated in mind and see if I can translate/convert more things in the future.

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
How would a gerund be represented here? Have you considered it?

Ayaeteta? (this is not a new euphemism here)

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
How would a gerund be represented here? Have you considered it?

Ayaeteta? (this is not a new euphemism here)
I don't think Inkling has gerunds, per se. I imagined that one could talk about an action as a subject or an object simply by using that verb as a noun would be used. For example, "my reading" would be {i eya eyoma} and "our winning" would be {noi eya sofu}. Without possessives, "tower defense" would be {žamepai rana} and "muyo papa" for "ink shooting". That's my thinking, at least.

If you guys have other ideas, feel free to offer suggestions. I will be working all night on video stuff.

Andy-the-Dandy

Inkling
NNID
Fast_Attack
I think the gerund should be formed using a verb-to-noun suffix.
Though I haven't finished checking, (Edge's ctrl+f is... inconsistent) syllables that don't seem to be at the end of any word in the 2015/9/23 Language Guide are {be}, {ro}, {šai}, {koi} (it ends only Callie's name, {Pekói}) and {se} (it's always {ise}, isn't it?).

My proposal is as follows:
  • {šai} turns verbs, nouns and adverbs into adjectives (ex. {wagú}, party; {wagúšai}, festive)
  • {ro} turns verbs, adjectives and adverbs into nouns (ex. {záiya}, to eat; {záiyaro} food)
  • {be} turns verbs, nouns and adjectives into adverbs (ex. {raná}, to defend; {ranábe}, defensively)
  • {koi} turns nouns, adjectives and adverbs into verbs (ex. {náizi} friend; {náizikoi} to make or keep friends)

I actually rather like verbs also being nouns in and of themselves, though. I'm all for flexibility in parts of speech! Perhaps that particular suffix could be used mostly for clarification, or it could mean something different than the verb form by itself. ("friend" as a verb in Esperanto means "to be friends." I don't quite get their word building logic.) We can have it all, I'm sure!

DERADI

Inkling
Just a view thoughts I had while reading the vocabulary:

We have many animals, but no word for "Animal"
We have some locations, but no word for "location"
We have a lot of body parts, but no words for "body/bodypart"
(You see what I want to tell ya, if you adding vocabulary for a toppic make sure you add the word for the toppic too)
Also missing: weather, food, activity, to sense...

A question to everybody who follows this thread: Is english your main language? If not: What is your main language?

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
But those parts of speech suffixes just make things so complicateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed....

....unless we build up some sort of logic to it. I'm all for having verbs used an nouns, nouns used as adjectives, and whatever used as whatever depending on its use in a sentence. For clarification, parts of speech suffixes . To do this, we can create suffixes from new vocabulary.

• {šai} turns nouns, verbs, and adverbs into adjectives. It comes from {sigušai}, "state of being".
  • {ro} turns verbs, adjectives, and adverbs into nouns. It comes from {tairo}, "object".
  • {be} turns nouns, adjectives, and verbs into adverbs. It comes from {teibe}, "method, modus operandi"
  • {koi} turns nouns, adjectives, and adverbs into verbs. It comes from {šurekoi}, "action".
Let me know what you all think of that.

A question to everybody who follows this thread: Is english your main language? If not: What is your main language?
English is my first language. My French and Chinese aren't that impressive, honestly. I've been conlanging since I was fifteen and playing Nintendo games even longer. The contributors to this project kind of come from all over, so everyone have very different experience with languages. It's pretty awesome, actually.

Your vocab suggestions have been noted.

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
English is my first language as well, and I have taken Japanese for two years and a currently in second-year German.

This, however, is my first work on a constructed language, and my first real constructed language project (that I manage) is this language's sister project.

I have not made a language based on a world of my creation, but I will in the future, once I declare Octoling complete.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
English is my main language, but I have also studied German for five years in middle/high school and Japanese for two years in college.

I have done a few constructed languages before, but it took a while to get beyond simplistic ciphers for English. As far as I know, this is the first time I ever collaborated on a conlang project, so I'm pretty excited for that.

As an aside, I'm also working on an alternate-earth type of conworld, and that of course necessitates whole branches of conlangs.

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
As an aside, I'm also working on an alternate-earth type of conworld, and that of course necessitates whole branches of conlangs.
Speaking of branches:

I am thinking of a way to classify all of Splatoon's possible languages into language families.

My initial thoughts are that there is one for each species featured in Splatoon, along with a so-called "Common speech" to facilitate inter-species communication. The language families are all based off of species' biological classification.

(Family relationship does not signify mutual intelligibility)

So the primary language families are:
* Molluscian languages (incl. Inkling and Octoling in a much finer scale).
* Cnidarian languages (Jellyfish, Sea anemone)
* Arthropodan languages (Crustaceans, incl. crabs and shrimp)
* and the Echinodermian languages (sea urchins, starfish).

And the ubiquitous Common Speech. Externally, it is the language of the player. Internally, it is a reconstruction of several ancient languages (notably Japanese, English, and Spanish, and to a lesser extent, French, German, and Italian). It is used to facilitate communication between species, and because of it, several lesser languages died out.

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
So the primary language families are:
* Molluscian languages (incl. Inkling and Octoling in a much finer scale).
* Cnidarian languages (Jellyfish, Sea anemone)
* Arthropodan languages (Crustaceans, incl. crabs and shrimp)
* and the Echinodermian languages (sea urchins, starfish).
That's really interesting! I like the idea of different languages for these anthropomorphized sea creatures. Heck, animals from different parts of the world in Splatoon could speak differently based on what languages the humans used to speak in that region.

Unless I hear counter-suggestions, I'm going to go add my vocabulary suggested above. I'll probably make a unique section just for it.

Andy-the-Dandy

Inkling
NNID
Fast_Attack
I'm all for having verbs used an nouns, nouns used as adjectives, and whatever used as whatever depending on its use in a sentence. For clarification, parts of speech suffixes.
I imagine someone who uses the suffixes all or most of the time being pretty pedantic. The kind of person who replies to "can I come in?" with an "I don't know, can you?"

You can say {tasí tóya} ({tasí}, calm) for "calm down" but you might hear someone with such a stiff speaking style say it {tasí koi tóya}. Is this the right idea?

I'm glad somebody asked this! I was wondering, too. My native language is Spanish. Or Spanglish, if you will. That makes my main language English. I've dabbled in Esperanto, Japanese and American sign language. I'm not into conlanging, though.

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
I'm going to wait for more any more feedback before adding those words.

I imagine someone who uses the suffixes all or most of the time being pretty pedantic. The kind of person who replies to "can I come in?" with an "I don't know, can you?"

You can say {tasí tóya} ({tasí}, calm) for "calm down" but you might hear someone with such a stiff speaking style say it {tasí koi tóya}. Is this the right idea?
Yes, I suppose so. You can never help the grammar Nazi's out there. This is assuming Inkling has a verb for "calm" that we haven't created yet.

I'm not into conlanging, though.
Neither am I. At least not recently. I've been doing it on and off for years. Having just graduated from college, I'm finding myself with time on my hands and friends in other cities..

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
That's really interesting! I like the idea of different languages for these anthropomorphized sea creatures. Heck, animals from different parts of the world in Splatoon could speak differently based on what languages the humans used to speak in that region.
But do individual phyla have related languages, as my model suggests?

Or did speech arise differently for each species, and as such, each species is its own language family?

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
I updated the PDF with a section on suffixes and other corrections. Find it on this post and on the second page.

As for Inkopolis University, I'm sort of sitting here twiddling my thumbs as my friend recovers from her operation. I am polishing this script to the nth degree to maximum clarity and entertainment value. Here is the latest copy of the lessons. It's about all I can give you at this point.

Attachments

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom