• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Fan Language of Splatoon

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
The brand name text is just a farcical rendering of its Japanese name, in Romaji.

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
My first word for this language in a while: Can {fiya} be "speed?"
Good idea. As verb it can mean 'to measure speed'. Speaking of, we need some units like meters, liters, grams, some SI prefixes (like kilo or milli), and a word for 'per' (as in kilometers per hour or the 'a' in 'an apple a day')

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Good idea. As verb it can mean 'to measure speed'. Speaking of, we need some units like meters, liters, grams, some SI prefixes (like kilo or milli), and a word for 'per' (as in kilometers per hour or the 'a' in 'an apple a day')
I just created it so I can do the "Ludicrous Speed" scene in Inkling.

And Octoling (Should Spaceballs have the Good Guys in Inkling and Spaceball One in Octo?).

Also, abbreviated ordinals: 1z, 2z, 3z, 4z, 5z, etc.

EDIT: The prefixes should simply be the numbers of that prefix (i.e. kilo is thousand).

We would, however, need a -nth ending, unless {cai} qualifies.

"Per" should just be "in every" as one can easily say 5 kilometers per hour as 5 kilometers in every hour.

OTHER EDIT: Also, how many interjections do we have?

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Apparently Youtube thinks Inkling (the in-game sounds) sounds like the language of Okinawa.

At least in the Original Traditional Shiokara Melody.

piboy430

Inkling
We would, however, need a -nth ending, unless {cai} qualifies. "Per" should just be "in every" as one can easily say 5 kilometres per hour as 5 kilometres in every hour.
We already have an 'nth' ending: {zái} (page 41 of the PDF). As for your idea of using 'in every' for 'per', I like it. {rimae} is a bit of a mouthful, though, especially for a word that will be so frequently used, so let's shorten it to a single character:

{ríe} - per

@PiyozR Not specifically language related, but I threw this together quickly just now and I thought that you might appreciate them.

I took the pencil sketch drawing of the Inkopolis University Logo and made it into this (I don't want to put it directly on here due to the image size being too large. The last thing I want to do is to swamp the forum, right?). It seems to be the only unprofessional looking thing about the Uni website, so I thought I'd spice it up!

Here's the gradient version, if the flat colours look a little boring. I prefer this one, personally.

By the way, what does the 'mida' on the logo mean, anyway? Is it just the name of the school?

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
So [fiya], [saka], [sui], [napa], and [shusi] can be "speed," "weight," "volume," "area," and "length," respectively?

BTW [fiya] is from Calamari, not the other way around.

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
We already have an 'nth' ending: {zái} (page 41 of the PDF). As for your idea of using 'in every' for 'per', I like it. {rimae} is a bit of a mouthful, though, especially for a word that will be so frequently used, so let's shorten it to a single character:

{ríe} - per
I'll add that for sure. Just thinking of where that would go. Is that a preposition? I think that's a preposition.

Not specifically language related, but I threw this together quickly just now and I thought that you might appreciate them.

I took the pencil sketch drawing of the Inkopolis University Logo and made it into this (I don't want to put it directly on here due to the image size being too large. The last thing I want to do is to swamp the forum, right?). It seems to be the only unprofessional looking thing about the Uni website, so I thought I'd spice it up!

Here's the gradient version, if the flat colours look a little boring. I prefer this one, personally.
That actually looks really darn good! They're so good that I don't even care that the name of the university isn't in the logo like I drew it.

Shamefully, I have no experience in digital editing or drawing. I was kind of banking on my friend doing the videos AND the logo (speaking of whom, she hasn't been replying since that last update) for the hub website, Youtube, and avatars in general. In any case, I jumped into GIMP and modified the colors a bit and tried swapping them around to try and mimic the other color combos from Splatoon's multiplayer. I made nine of them.

By the way, what does the 'mida' on the logo mean, anyway? Is it just the name of the school?
Yeah, it's an abbreviation of Inkopolis University {mižúo náipie ga mišáiya} in Inkling.

So [fiya], [saka], [sui], [napa], and [shusi] can be "speed," "weight," "volume," "area," and "length," respectively?.
I'll add those, too. I think a couple of those might be homophones with other words, but we have enough of a dictionary at this point that it's okay.

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
In terms of proper nouns, are they loaned from their native language? What places outside of Inkling distribution use native terms?

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
That actually looks really darn good! They're so good that I don't even care that the name of the university isn't in the logo like I drew it.
Dang... I guess the one I put together was forgotten about, then?

piboy430

Inkling
@PiyozR Oh my goodness, the logo's everywhere now. I wasn't expecting this. Thank you so much! I'm fine to make other pieces of artwork for the videos if you want.
Dang... I guess the one I put together was forgotten about, then?
You made a logo? I don't remember seeing that... Sorry for overshadowing you.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
That logo can rep a different institution, perhaps?

Can you zip the PSD?
I don't use Photoshop. The logo I made was based off of the newer sketch with the full name in place.

I have the finalized version uploaded here, but the project file's in my home computer.

piboy430

Inkling
@MissingNumbers Wow, that's a cool logo! I like the way that your letters look; they seem harsher and more angular than mine do. The full name also fits well too, as well as the increase in detail in the skyline! You also used a nice colour palette, too...

Last edited:

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
I don't remember ever seeing that logo. Looking through my PM's, I don't know how I never was alerted when you sent me that in October. Yeah, that one totally looks rad. Here's what I'll do: I'm going to use your emblem with the Inkling for "Inkopolis University" written out in the videos and maybe on the website. You see, I wanted a version that included the full name of the school in the emblem for the videos. I'm gonna hang on to piboy's for my avatars and such.

In terms of proper nouns, are they loaned from their native language? What places outside of Inkling distribution use native terms?
For the few proper nouns that I have made, I just create new words. I have no system, however, for writing names other than surnames coming before given names.

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Did you purposely remove all references to <verb short form> wherever it appears on the guide?

Aside from only appearing in its introduction, it never appears. Certain particle contractions do not take the short form, notably [chu] (notably because it isn't a contraction).

EDIT: I'm trying to simulate linguistics drift over the course of several years.

Oh, and Yamanashi survived. So did Nagano, and the rest of the Japanese highlands.

Hence the slang term "Highlander" for humans in several of these languages, notably Octo.

Last edited:

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Did you purposely remove all references to <verb short form> wherever it appears on the guide?

Aside from only appearing in its introduction, it never appears. Certain particle contractions do not take the short form, notably [chu] (notably because it isn't a contraction).

EDIT: I'm trying to simulate linguistics drift over the course of several years.

Oh, and Yamanashi survived. So did Nagano, and the rest of the Japanese highlands.

Hence the slang term "Highlander" for humans in several of these languages, notably Octo.
I'm afraid I have no clue what you're talking about. In your main posts or your edit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom