• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Fan Language of Splatoon

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
Now to take care of some of those words @theFIZZYnator suggested in his first post (the one on food)...
Critique time.

{gáfutu} - Container (derived), Pot, Pan
I'm the smallest fan of using the same word for container, pot, and pan, much less pot and pan. I suggest {nébe} for pot and {táme} for pan.

{kiné} - Fruit (shortening of 'ki néši' (lit. with seed))
Basically every plant has a seed, and seedless grapes are fruits too, so while I think the word is alright, the etymology isn't.

{táikaro} - Solid (state of matter), Rigidity, Hardness (derived)
{suitáro} - Liquid (state of matter), Flow (derived)
{tákiro} - Gas (state of matter), Inflation (of a balloon, of an economy, etc.) (derived)
I disagree with all the second meanings. They should be separate words with suffixes, constructed akin to, for example, "solidlikeness".

{ežáte} - To Stir-fry (combining 'to mix' and 'to fry')
I want a separate word for stir-frying because it's a very common way to cook something here in Japan but sadly not in the US. I suggest {étame}.

{bárate} - To Deep-fry (combining 'oil' and 'to fry')
Again, deep-frying seems just as deserving of a separate word. I suggest {ragái}.

{kédekoi} - To Dice (lit. to cube, see below) (derived)
I'll describe my dislike for the word for "cube" below.

{šéta} - Healthy
{žošéta} - Unwell, Unhealthy, Ill
I suggest having two pairs of adjectives like we do with the two senses of "to remember". {šeta} can be "healthy" as in "a healthy diet", whose opposite {žošéta} refers to greasy, starchy food, and the other word can be the opposite of "ill".

{takáo} - Face (shape)
{širá} - Edge (shortened to 'ši' when put after a number to make the name of a shape)
We're missing a word for "vertex" and "space".

{úši} - Circle (lit. one side)
One-sided polygons do not exist in Euclidian geometry, circles are thought to have infinitely many sides, not one, and circles are one of the most fundamental of shapes, so it more than deserves its own word. I suggest {ánoru}.

{déši} - Square (lit. four side)
That should mean "quadrilateral", judging from the etymology. I want a prefix meaning "regular" as in "regular polygon". I suggest {saidéši} for square.
We also need a word for rectangle.

{kéde} - Cube (lit. 'six four', as a cube has six faces and each side has four edges)
I am so opposed to this word you don't even know. Consider the Nintendo 64. Now consider the Nintendo GameCube. See the problem here?
I strongly advocate creating words for "n-hedron", "n-gonal prism", and "n-gonal pyramid".

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Gotta say, @piboy430, this is some of the best vocab you've done. I'm adding it all in now with some changes. Some of these I'm going to mention in reponse to @theFIZZYnator ....

{gáfutu} - Container (derived), Pot, Pan
I'm the smallest fan of using the same word for container, pot, and pan, much less pot and pan. I suggest {nébe} for pot and {táme} for pan.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I will add your suggestions.

{kiné} - Fruit (shortening of 'ki néši' (lit. with seed))
Basically every plant has a seed, and seedless grapes are fruits too, so while I think the word is alright, the etymology isn't.
Fair point, but I just like the sound of {kiné}. Like if an Inkling family is at the supermarket and they decide they need to buy some fruit, I can imagine one saying to the other "Honey, can you buy some kiné?"

{táikaro} - Solid (state of matter), Rigidity, Hardness (derived)
{suitáro} - Liquid (state of matter), Flow (derived)
{tákiro} - Gas (state of matter), Inflation (of a balloon, of an economy, etc.) (derived)
I disagree with all the second meanings. They should be separate words with suffixes, constructed akin to, for example, "solidlikeness".
Yeah, those secondary meanings for the quality of hardness, liquidness, and gaseousness should probably have unique words. Let's save that for another update. I'm unofficially designating this the "Food & Drinks" update.

{ežáte} - To Stir-fry (combining 'to mix' and 'to fry')
I want a separate word for stir-frying because it's a very common way to cook something here in Japan but sadly not in the US. I suggest {étame}.

{bárate} - To Deep-fry (combining 'oil' and 'to fry')
Again, deep-frying seems just as deserving of a separate word. I suggest {ragái}.

{kédekoi} - To Dice (lit. to cube, see below) (derived)
I'll describe my dislike for the word for "cube" below.
Again, all good points. I'll add {étame} and {ragái} and {kédekoi} but changing the derived word {kéde} from "cube" to "fragment" before I add the shapes vocab.

{šéta} - Healthy
{žošéta} - Unwell, Unhealthy, Ill
I suggest having two pairs of adjectives like we do with the two senses of "to remember". {šeta} can be "healthy" as in "a healthy diet", whose opposite {žošéta} refers to greasy, starchy food, and the other word can be the opposite of "ill".
I approve of this.

{úši} - Circle (lit. one side)
One-sided polygons do not exist in Euclidian geometry, circles are thought to have infinitely many sides, not one, and circles are one of the most fundamental of shapes, so it more than deserves its own word. I suggest {ánoru}.
I'm not going to argue with you about the geometry involved here. Just remember; it's not the job of linguists to be mathematically accurate. Common terms for shapes used in everyday speech in a conlang don't need to be exactly accurate to a geometry glossary. I kinda like {ánoru} because I think it sounds better. But,...well....see the end of my post.

{déši} - Square (lit. four side)
That should mean "quadrilateral", judging from the etymology. I want a prefix meaning "regular" as in "regular polygon". I suggest {saidéši} for square.
We also need a word for rectangle.
See above about there being no real need for mathematical accuracy here. {saidéši} for "square" I prefer but first let's decide how all these shapes are gonna go.

{kéde} - Cube (lit. 'six four', as a cube has six faces and each side has four edges)
I am so opposed to this word you don't even know. Consider the Nintendo 64. Now consider the Nintendo GameCube. See the problem here?
I strongly advocate creating words for "n-hedron", "n-gonal prism", and "n-gonal pyramid".
If we're going to start getting technical, we may as well make a bunch of formal geometry terms. How about this? I won't add any of piboy's suggested shapes for now until we agree on how to express words like "parallelogram", "square", "circle", "triangle", "pyramid" and so on.

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
On a side note, how do you represent phrases like "let's go!" In the language?

Grammatically, they are first-person plural imperatives or its own mood (depends on the language).

piboy430

Inkling
Welcome, those who have come from the guide! Below is the guide to naming basic (and not-so basic) 2D and 3D shapes in Inkling.

System for Naming Shapes
  • {ši} - Side Number (placed after a number to describe a shape with that number of sides). E.g. {čáši} - Triangle, {déši} - Quadrilateral, {kéši} - Hexagon, etc.
From this point on, since the prefixes and suffixes added to these words already imply that the word is shape-related, the {ši} at the end is dropped.
  • {sai} - Regular Prefix (originally suggested by Fizzy, placed in front of a shape word to clarify that it is regular). E.g. {saičá} - Equilateral Triangle, {saidé} - Square, etc.
  • {metái} - Hedron Suffix. Could also be used as the word 'polyhedron'. See below for further explanation.***
  • {sári} - Prism Suffix. E.g. {anorusári} - Cylinder, {kesári} - Hexagonal Prism, {časári} - Triangular Prism, etc. Could also be used as the word for a light-splitting prism.
  • {kásu} - Pyramid Suffix. E.g. {saidekásu} - Square-based Pyramid. Could also be used as the word for 'pyramid' in general.
  • {rái} - Truncated Prefix. E.g. {rái-wesáime} - Truncated Octrahedron.
***OK, here we go. For any polyhedra, the naming goes as follows:
  • [number of Shape A] --> [name of Shape A (sans 'ši')] --> [hedron suffix]
For example, let's do this with the Platonic Solids:
  • Tetrahedron --> de-saičá-metái (lit. four - equilateral triangle - hedron). Shortened: {desáime}
Since these are Platonic Solids (and so come up a lot), these polyhedra, and these only, have shortened names.
  • Cube --> ke-saidé-metái (lit. six - square - hedron). Shortened: {kesáime}
  • Octahedron --> we-saičá-metái (lit. eight - equilateral triangle - hedron). Shortened: {wesáime}
  • Dodecahedron --> ziéga-íyo-saifá-metái (lit. twelve - regular pentagon - hedron). Shortened: {ziesáime}
  • Icosahedron --> íyo-ziéga-saičá-metái (lit. twenty - equilateral triangle - hedron). Shortened: {iyosáime}
For those polyhedra that are made up from more than one 2D shape, their names are written in a similar fashion:
  • [number of Shape A] --> [name of Shape A] --> [number of Shape B] --> [name of Shape B] --> ... --> [hedron suffix]
The way in which the shapes are ordered in the name are from least number of sides to most number of sides. I think this calls for a few examples:
  • Cuboctahedron --> we-saičá-ke-saidé-metái (lit. eight - equilateral triangle - six - square - hedron). Note that the order of shapes goes 3-sided --> 4-sided.
  • Snub Cube --> ča-ziéga-íyo-saičá-ke-saidé-metái (lit. thirty two - equilateral triangle - six - square - hedron). Once again, 3-sided --> 4-sided.
And one more, just to show off:
  • Snub Dodecahedron --> we-ziéga-saičá-ziéga-íyo-saifá-metái (lit. eighty - equilateral triangle - twelve - regular pentagon - hedron) Again, 3-sided --> 5-sided.
Right, with that out of the way, let's create some words for special shapes; anomalies, if you will:

{ánoru} - Circle (per Fizzy's suggestion)
{maká} - Sphere (shortened from the word 'no faces'). I thought I'd be more mathematically accurate with circle-related shapes now...
{šobáde} - Rectangle (shortened from 'right angle quadrilateral')
{gošúde} - Rhombus (shortened from 'same length quadrilateral')
{hérade} - Parallelogram (shortened from 'parallel side quadrilateral')

And a few more shape-y words to finish. I'll also repeat the shape words in my previous post that haven't been made redundant:

{kohé} - Parallel
{šobirá} - Perpendicular
{kádo} - Angle
{šobádo} - Right Angle
{zapádo} - Acute Angle
{dagádo} - Obtuse Angle
{kakádo} - Reflex Angle
{re} - Degree Suffix
{táči} - Shape
{mísu} - Corner, Vertex
{takáo} - Face (shape)
{širá} - Edge

EDIT 19/12/15: Edited to be more suitable for those coming from the guide.

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
I am going to make a formal announcement.

I am not going to be so involved with this project as I did during the early stages of this project. With my management of Ami, along with some other things (one of which is the extreme rate you guys churn out words when I can dedicate that processing power to my own projects), I decided to call it cuts. I will still follow your creations, and even come up with a random article every once in a while, even if not for a long while.

Last edited:

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
On a side note, how do you represent phrases like "let's go!" In the language?

Grammatically, they are first-person plural imperatives or its own mood (depends on the language).
For that, you can use the imperative {kíse tόya} for "let's go! or "Follow me!" An alternative is {zíuyo si όyene} which is more like "Go for it!" or "Let's do it!"

I am going to make a formal announcement.

I am not going to be so involved with this project as I did during the early stages of this project. With my management of Ami, along with some other things (one of which is the extreme rate you guys churn out words when I can dedicate that processing power to my own projects), I decided to call it cuts. I will still follow your creations, and even come up with a random article every once in a while, even if not for a long while.
That's okay. We've got a really good groove going for vocab creation here between me, piboy, and Fizzy as a sorta triumvirate of checks and balances. We still welcome suggestions for vocab and grammar. Your Calamari County dialect guide is still great! Let me know if you want me to change or add/remove content to/from it.

So are you going to focus more on Octoling? If you're looking for pointers on building a basic dictionary, you could use Fizzy's idea above about a word generator. Personally, when I create Inkling vocab and grammar, I do a little imaginative thought experiment. If a squid walked out of the ocean with legs, a mouth able to articulate speech, and the mental capacity for language and self-awareness and culture, how would he/she say the word "squid"? Answer: {tenό} Don't just place random letters together. Imagine there's an Octoling society thriving somewhere and tell us what sounds they use to indicate "octopus". It's more writing than linguistics.

@piboy430 All those geometry terms and the logic that forms them looks solid to me. I'll let Fizzy take a look at them before I add them to the Guide.

In the meantime, I'm going to think of some more grammar for our conlang. I'm in a grammar mood. I'll search through my old French and Chinese notebooks and see what comes to me.

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
@theFIZZYnator Wow, you got really worked up over some of those words, particularly the shape ones! Sorry for not thinking it through better. Some meanings were just slapped on there, like 'pot' and 'pan' on the word 'container'. In fact, I came up with the shapes on the fly when I needed the word for 'to dice'. I thought that 'cube' would be a nice word for it to be derived from and it expanded from there.

I do agree with @PiyozR too, though; all of the changes made are great.

To compensate for the apparantly hideous shape words, here is my new preposed system. I've tried to make it as clear as possible, but if you have any questions, ask.

System for Naming Shapes
  • {ši} - Side Number (placed after a number to describe a shape with that number of sides). E.g. {čáši} - Triangle, {déši} - Quadrilateral, {kéši} - Hexagon, etc.
From this point on, since the prefixes and suffixes added to these words already imply that the word is shape-related, the {ši} at the end is dropped.
  • {sai} - Regular Prefix (originally suggested by Fizzy, placed in front of a shape word to clarify that it is regular). E.g. {saičá} - Equilateral Triangle, {saidé} - Square, etc.
  • {metái} - Hedron Suffix. Could also be used as the word 'polyhedron'. See below for further explanation.***
  • {sári} - Prism Suffix. E.g. {anorusári} - Cylinder, {kesári} - Hexagonal Prism, {časári} - Triangular Prism, etc. Could also be used as the word for a light-splitting prism.
  • {kásu} - Pyramid Suffix. E.g. {saidekásu} - Square-based Pyramid. Could also be used as the word for 'pyramid' in general.
  • {rái} - Truncated Prefix. E.g. {rái-wesáime} - Truncated Octrahedron.
***OK, here we go. For any polyhedra, the naming goes as follows:
  • [number of Shape A] --> [name of Shape A (sans 'ši')] --> [hedron suffix]
For example, let's do this with the Platonic Solids:
  • Tetrahedron --> de-saičá-metái (lit. four - equilateral triangle - hedron). Shortened: {desáime}
Since these are Platonic Solids (and so come up a lot), these polyhedra, and these only, have shortened names.
  • Cube --> ke-saidé-metái (lit. six - square - hedron). Shortened: {kesáime}
  • Octahedron --> we-saičá-metái (lit. eight - equilateral triangle - hedron). Shortened: {wesáime}
  • Dodecahedron --> ziéga-íyo-saifá-metái (lit. twelve - regular pentagon - hedron). Shortened: {ziesáime}
  • Icosahedron --> íyo-ziéga-saičá-metái (lit. twenty - equilateral triangle - hedron). Shortened: {iyosáime}
For those polyhedra that are made up from more than one 2D shape, their names are written in a similar fashion:
  • [number of Shape A] --> [name of Shape A] --> [number of Shape B] --> [name of Shape B] --> ... --> [hedron suffix]
The way in which the shapes are ordered in the name are from least number of sides to most number of sides. I think this calls for a few examples:
  • Cuboctahedron --> we-saičá-ke-saidé-metái (lit. eight - equilateral triangle - six - square - hedron). Note that the order of shapes goes 3-sided --> 4-sided.
  • Snub Cube --> ča-ziéga-íyo-saičá-ke-saidé-metái (lit. thirty two - equilateral triangle - six - square - hedron). Once again, 3-sided --> 4-sided.
And one more, just to show off:
  • Snub Dodecahedron --> we-ziéga-saičá-ziéga-íyo-saifá-metái (lit. eighty - equilateral triangle - twelve - regular pentagon - hedron) Again, 3-sided --> 5-sided.
You don't have to add every word created above (I mean, when will we ever need the word for 'snub cube?'), but I just wanted to show the flexibility of the system.

Right, with that out of the way, let's create some words for special shapes; anomalies, if you will:

{ánoru} - Circle (per Fizzy's suggestion)
{maká} - Sphere (shortened from the word 'no faces'). I thought I'd be more mathematically accurate with circle-related shapes now...
{šobáde} - Rectangle (shortened from 'right angle quadrilateral')
{gošúde} - Rhombus (shortened from 'same length quadrilateral')
{hérade} - Parallelogram (shortened from 'parallel side quadrilateral')

And a few more shape-y words to finish. I'll also repeat the shape words in my previous post that haven't been made redundant:

{kohé} - Parallel
{šobirá} - Perpendicular
{kádo} - Angle
{šobádo} - Right Angle
{zapádo} - Acute Angle
{dagádo} - Obtuse Angle
{kakádo} - Reflex Angle
{re} - Degree Suffix
{táči} - Shape
{mísu} - Corner, Vertex
{takáo} - Face (shape)
{širá} - Edge

There, are you happy now?
Nice job! There's a system easily applicable to a lot of three-dimensional objects. I'd cut the face shape for the Platonic solids, though, because they're quite redundant. In Japanese, by the way and for example, "icosahedron" is 正二十面体, which can be divided into 正 (regular), 二十 (twenty, lit. "two-tens"), 面 (face), and 体 (polyhedron, lit. "body").

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
For that, you can use the imperative {kíse tόya} for "let's go! or "Follow me!" An alternative is {zíuyo si όyene} which is more like "Go for it!" or "Let's do it!"
You wouldn't say, though, "Lightspeed! Follow me!"

Some languages just use the imperative of "go," while others say another colorful phrase "And we're off!"

But the equivalent for "Let's do it" would need to be heavily contracted. In Japanese, the equivalent is three syllables (頑張ろう/ganbarou), and I never seen more than that in other languages.

Even then, that wouldn't seem right in this case.

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Anyone want to help me make a Star Wars: Force Awakens movie poster in Inkling while I add all those shapes into the guide?

EDIT: I'm serious. Does anyone actually want to do this?

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Anyone want to help me make a Star Wars: Force Awakens movie poster in Inkling while I add all those shapes into the guide?
If anything, dub Spaceballs in our fanlangs.

EDIT: But most of the puns would be lost in translation, e.g. "Radar is jammed," "(after tasting raspberry jam on the radar screen) There's only one man who would give me the raspberry," and another referencing the two/too homophone ("One....Two.....late!"). Some dubs do a last-second word swap with their equivalents of three and too late, due to them sharing leading sounds.

OTHER EDIT: For German (it's interesting):

An drei.

Ein....zw...u...spät!

Unless the good guys are in Inkling and the bad guys in Octoling, and I make the language so the puns work.

Grammatical structure: can the word "too" go after it's reference adjective?

Last edited:

piboy430

Inkling
@PiyozR Love it! This should become a thing that we do on here occasionally. We need to get more people making Inkling stuff, if only to justify the effort that we're putting into the language.

BTW, is the 'eyo' on the poster meant to be the possessive particle 'eyu'?

Here's another poster I did, this time for Cinderella. I'm really pleased with how the text turned out!

I created the word for 'ash' or 'cinder' in order to create the name, which literally translates as 'Cinder Girl' or 'Ash Girl'. May as well put it here as the shortest vocab update I've ever done:

{fiká} - ash, cinder

Here's the Disney logo in Inkling used in the poster, and here's the more traditional black version.

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
We need to get more people making Inkling stuff, if only to justify the effort that we're putting into the langu
Dub a movie in Inkling! In particular, an old movie; publishers are not generally worried about old films' copyright.

Or at least a few scenes of a film.

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
BTW, is the 'eyo' on the poster meant to be the possessive particle 'eyu'?
No, I invented a word for "awaken" as {eyuse}. "New Force Awakens."

Here's another poster I did, this time for Cinderella. I'm really pleased with how the text turned out!
That looks better than mine! Although I can't tell which characters those are.

I created the word for 'ash' or 'cinder' in order to create the name, which literally translates as 'Cinder Girl' or 'Ash Girl'. May as well put it here as the shortest vocab update I've ever done:

{fiká} - ash, cinder
I'll get to adding that tonight along with the shapes vocab. EDIT: For anyone following, the basic shapes will go under nouns and the more technical geometry terms will go under the Numbers section as they're all mathematical.

Dub a movie in Inkling! In particular, an old movie; publishers are not generally worried about old films' copyright.

Or at least a few scenes of a film.
Or something public domain. Any ideas? I could do the writing if anyone wants to dig up some old educational short and edit some Inkling text as subtitles.

Last edited:

piboy430

Inkling
@PiyozR You mentioned that you wanted new grammar, so I've got a suggestion: how would one express 'might' in the language? As in 'you may think' or 'he might do' or 'if he may'. Shall we assign a verb to this, or should it be its own separate grammar point?

And what of the 'that', as in 'I find that amusing'? Should the word for 'which' also serve this role? Or is the word simply left out all together?

EDIT: May as well give you some new words whilst I'm still writing this post:

Nouns

{muká} - Former (this word and the next were needed sooner or latter)
{šáko} - Latter
{čakáiro} - Achievement (derived)
{zibeóta čakáiro} - Crowning Achievement (lit. best achievement). Can't decide whether this should be a noun or an idiom...
{sánero} - Knowledge (derived)
{žosanúro} - (the) Unknown (derived)
{kosá} - Race (game, sport)
{mižó} - Race (of people)
{šúpi} - Species
{koróhe} - Pride (I thought of deriving this from 'horasu', but four syllables for the word 'pride'? Really?)
{fekó} - Bliss
{ufétero} - Universe (derived)
{wúsaro} - Remnant (derived)
{dísuro} - Wish (derived)
{kesáro} - Dodge (derived)
{žokesaró} - Inevitability (derived)
{fúnoro} - Desire (derived)

Verbs

{čakái} - To Achieve
{náika} - To Grant (used in all senses of the English word, both for giving, and for wishes, Could be used as a more formal version of the verb 'to give')
{wúsa} - To Remain
{disú} - To Wish, Wish For
{atisáne} - To Be Known As
{kesá} - To Avoid, Dodge
{kósakoi} - To Race (someone) (derived)

Adjectives

{uféte} - Global, Universal
{žunágo} - Beyond Compare
{sanešái} - Knowledgable
{sanú} - Known
{žosanú} - Unknown
{kesašái} - Avoidable (derived)
{žokesašái} - Unavoidable, Inevitable (derived)
{fekóšai} - Blissful (derived)

Other

{tabé} - Perhaps (should we also have this alongside 'maybe', or does 'maybe' function in both roles?)
{déso} - Though (as an interjection: 'We were fine, though'). Could also be used in 'even though...' as 'héideso...'
{kári} - Within
{tóma} - Both (where should this word go? It can be used both in the sense of 'we had both' or 'there's both this and that')
{ziuyohenái} - Tonight (to go in the 'Time' section)
{...račí} - Due To, Because Of (to be placed at the end of the corresponding phrase). Example Sentence: 'Because he is ill, he cannot come tonight.' -> 'Zói si žošéta račí, zói žo pu kíse ziuyohenái.' <-- Here's a new grammar point for you!

PDF error: On page 23, the verb 'to search for' has an extra 'to' after it.

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
You mentioned that you wanted new grammar, so I've got a suggestion: how would one express 'might' in the language? As in 'you may think' or 'he might do' or 'if he may'. Shall we assign a verb to this, or should it be its own separate grammar point?

And what of the 'that', as in 'he finds that'? Should the word for 'which' also serve this role?
New verb aspect for the former.

For the latter, we already have a word for "that."

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Couple of things here.

The description for the formation of geometric terms is a little dense, so I won't bother trying to emulate it in the guide. Instead, I'll just link readers to the post where piboy describes it himself. Open the PDF here and see if that's enough explanation for our purposes. It starts on page 46.

You mentioned that you wanted new grammar, so I've got a suggestion: how would one express 'might' in the language? As in 'you may think' or 'he might do' or 'if he may'. Shall we assign a verb to this, or should it be its own separate grammar point?
I imagine that Inkling will have separate verbs for "may/might" (something may/might happen), "may" (having permission to do something), and "can" (being able to do something) {pu}. Let's make words from there.

However, I need to bundle a bunch of those verbs together, which will require some juggling. I want to put these next to "could", "would" and "must". Not sure if "shall" is worth our time. Probably not.

And what of the 'that', as in 'I find that amusing'? Should the word for 'which' also serve this role? Or is the word simply left out all together?
I have been wanting to create a dedicated section for demonstratives. I think that's our next step here.

This, that, these and those I have under Descriptors for their use in describing nouns (i.e. "this gun", "that hat", "these shoes", "those glasses"). However, I don't have them written down as pronouns (i.e. "That is my amiibo." "This is crazy!") This needs to be added. Next time I get the chance, I am going to move all the verb tenses into one section and create a new section for Demonstratives. By the way, {tena} is "this/these" and {doane} is "that/those". Again, as descriptors. Do you think Inkling would use entirely unique words for their demonstrative pronouns? French (and I imagine other Latin-based languages, too) does that. What do you all think?

EDIT: May as well give you some new words whilst I'm still writing this post:

*snip for vocab and correction*
Correction is made and vocab will be added and possibly slightly changed when I get the chance. This weekend is a) Splatfest and b) my brother is coming in for Squidmas and c) my job is going to get more demanding and probably ask for extra hours from me.

Yes, but that word is a pronoun, used in the context of 'that tree' or 'that ink'. I'm referring to the conjunction 'that', as in 'This is the book that I wrote' or 'I told him that I knew'
I do have a word for that. It's {dite}. Under Conjunctions, I wrote it as "which" but in terms of stringing along sentences (i.e. "the book that I read", "the player who splatted me") it works the same as "that", "which" and for "who" regardless of whether it's a situation, an active agent, a passive agent being connected. I think I should clarify all that in the guide.

Attachments

piboy430

Inkling
Jus to let you know, @PiyozR, something terrible has befallen the text in the PDF! What's weird is that it's not even all of the text, but just some of it.

EDIT: Also, a few errors in the PDF:

Page 10: The word {anéna} should be written with the characters 'ane' and 'na', rather than 'a' 'ne' 'na'.
Page 14: The pronunciation of 'beginner' should be {káišo zói}.
Page 17: The pronunciation of 'redneck' should be written {ačan}.
Page 18: {raéru} The Past - should be 'raéro' in both character and pronounciation if the word is derived from {ráe}.
Page 18: The pronunciation of 'field' should be {teána}.
Page 19: The character 'su' should be used in the word 'relaxation', instead of the typo-ed 'kai'
Page 18 & 19: The word {zaiyáro} is repeated on these two pages, once as 'food', once as 'meal'. Combining these where the second one is seems logical.
Page 19/20: The word 'buffet' is a synonym with 'everything' for some reason. Could we have it changed to 'maezái'?
Page 20: {šáiyo} Vegetable - should be written in characters as 'šai' 'iyo', rather than 'ša' 'iyo'. This also needs modifing in 'vegetarian'.
Page 21: {turítu} is misspelt as 'toritu' in the characters.
Page 21: For some reason, the {eyu} and {ayo} on the kinship terms are mixed up, as {eyu} should represent male (as in {eyumai} - girl), and {ayo} female. This would just mean switching the meanings for 'sister' and 'brother' around, as well as the meanings for 'mother' and 'father'.
Page 23: {tusái} is misspelt as 'tosai' in the characters.
Page 26: Could {ratú} be changed to {raté} so that the derived word {ratéro} fits?
Page 27: Same thing here. {ŧutožikói} needs to be changed to {ŧurožikói} in both characters and pronounciation to fit the word it was derived from, {ŧuróži}.
Page 28: The pronunciation of 'to colour in' should be {eyasukói}.
Page 28: {pidakói} To Layer - should be 'pifakói' in both character and pronounciation if the word is derived from {pifá}.
Page 28: {ŧasuyokoi} is misspelt as 'ŧauyokoi' in the characters.
Page 28: {eyunukói} To Kick - should be 'eyanukói' in both character and pronounciation if the word is derived from {eyánu}.
Page 31: {sará} is misspelt as 'kora' in the characters.
Page 35: {waíya} Slow - should be written in characters as 'wai' 'iya', rather than 'wa' 'iya'.
Page 46: {kesári} means 'hexagonal prism', not 'cylinder'. Cylinder is {anorusári}.
Page 54: Wouldn't the idiom {hunepokói} make more sense as {hunepozói}?
Page 55: In {za šanái}, the {šanái} should be written in characters as 'ša' 'nai', rather than 'ša' 'na' 'i'.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom