• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

The new specials are not overpowered.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
TBH, i expected that people will find the specials underpowered.
But this is better since people won't underestimate them and hopefully discover they're full potential!

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
TBH, i expected that people will find the specials underpowered.
But this is better since people won't underestimate them and hopefully discover they're full potential!
Most people here on Squidboards won't find them all too intimidating mainly because of how terrifying specials were in the first game.

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
I think the Tenta Missiles work spectacularly for area denial. Any chargers targeted either have to swim away a fair amount or die. It can really shake them up. The stingray is also good for area denial, you've just it to stand far away and make sure you don't hold it down, and rather move whilst not firing as I felt also gives you a view of where people are. Unfortunately I used it too close in some spaces and was killed pretty quickly but I did get some kills with t and some assists. I liked the inkjet, I prefer using it up close but of course that makes it more vulnerable. I became very aware that people could camp my landing point, and so tended to use it in out of the wa places which were lower down, meaning I couldn't get as high in stages like Moray towers and struggled for kills that weren't on the same level as me, making it a moot point between hiding your landing point or going higher for distance. I also found accidentally keeping hold of the squid button often kept me grounded. Finally the splashdown I was the least effective with. It's got a nice range and I often got killed by it, but everyone knew to get away when I used it.

Overall, I wouldn't say they're op, if anything the bull**** specials are gone, and the other specials, which weren't so great for killing in the later competition stages unless used very effectively, have been reincarnated. I like it. I'm so fed up of bubblers and Kraken appearing last second when I don't notice the sparkly fiery hair.

Sqwiddles

Pro Squid
NNID
PheenieWeen
I knew all these specials were just reskins of the specials from the last game so I have nothing to worry about tbh.
I JUST REALLY WANT THE BALLER, SPLASHDOWN, AND BUBBLE WAND

So curious about the Bubble wand on how it will work and such, I can't wait. I wanna blow so many bubbles into the air ♥ and then be sad when people pop my bubbles (:

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Clearly someone has never been blindsniped by an Inkstrike that was aimed without looking into the distance, or Wailed off the tower.

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
They seem kinda underwhelming tbh, but we'll see as we play with the rest.

As it stands, the Inkjet and missiles felt not very threatening at all. In the splatfest, all it took was a single, competent charger or roller to deny any inkjet I used/saw used. The missiles were seriously only a threat to me when I was near a teammate and at least 1 enemy, that was the only time the missiles led to any real problems since it's a lot harder to dodge 8 and an enemy.
But ya'know, anecdotal evidence and what not.

Dog King

Full Squid
I knew all these specials were just reskins of the specials from the last game so I have nothing to worry about tbh.
I JUST REALLY WANT THE BALLER, SPLASHDOWN, AND BUBBLE WAND

So curious about the Bubble wand on how it will work and such, I can't wait. I wanna blow so many bubbles into the air ♥ and then be sad when people pop my bubbles :)
So, it's less that they are reskins of the old specials, and more if they are balanced forms of them. The baller is a better kraken,the inkjet is a better inkzooka, ink armor is a way more balanced bubbler, the tentamissles are a better ink strike and kinda act like an echolocater, and the stingray is an awkward killer wail. However, the splashdown, bubble wand, and ink storm are distinctly unique. All the specials are much more niche and not OP (As of now, who knows what the meta will make them). But yeah, I'm excited about the used of the bubble wand too!

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Some of the specials, like some of the subs, have had their roles split into two or more components. The Inkstrike has elements that were moved into the Tenta-Missiles (remote precision attack), the Splashdown (big burst of ink, semi-ranged if used in a super jump), and the Ink Storm (passive turf coverage). The Splashdown also covers one aspect of the Bubbler and Kraken (panic button).

Leedika42

Senior Squid
NNID
Leedika.TheGov
In my personal opinion it would be best to not compare the new specials to the old ones. The new ones will provide new options in different situations than the old ones. Thus it would be much more effective to analyze the strengths and weaknesses of the new specials without trying to get out of them the uses of the old ones.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
@Leedika42, Thank~ you!

I don't mind anyone and everyone everywhere trying to compare the new specials to the old--but that has gone on long enough.

We really need to start letting go of such obsolete ways of thinking. The old specials are gone, moved on with their lives, and never coming back! It's time to enjoy the new specials, love them for who they are--faults and all, not compare or change them to be like our old specials but instead help them become the best new specials they can be!

... uh... so yeah, seems these new specials will require less lone wolf behaviour and more coordination with our team, even in solo queue, right? ¬¬;

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
There's definitely new applications to be found. The Inkjet is infinitely more capable at painting than the Inkzooka ever was, for one.

Leedika42

Senior Squid
NNID
Leedika.TheGov
@Leedika42, Thank~ you!

I don't mind anyone and everyone everywhere trying to compare the new specials to the old--but that has gone on long enough.

We really need to start letting go of such obsolete ways of thinking. The old specials are gone, moved on with their lives, and never coming back! It's time to enjoy the new specials, love them for who they are--faults and all, not compare or change them to be like our old specials but instead help them become the best new specials they can be!

... uh... so yeah, seems these new specials will require less lone wolf behaviour and more coordination with our team, even in solo queue, right? ¬¬;
Most definitely. For example the tenta missiles work great for displacing enemies, which will truly shine when your teammates capitalize on that

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
In my (sparse) experiences so far, the Tenta Missiles work best on the distracted. If you know they're coming you can walk away from their landing spots, action movie style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom