• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

The "What do I use with this weapon?" Build Compendium

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I use this builds for both heavy splatlings:
:head_vis000::ability_runspeed:( :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:)
Cycling Shirt :ability_coldblooded:( :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:)
:shoes_bot003::ability_inkresistance:( :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:) or Strapping Reds :ability_inkresistance:( :ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:)

But you can use my 'easy to get' old build.
:head_msn000::ability_runspeed:( :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_damage:)
:clothes_plo003::ability_coldblooded:( :ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:)
:shoes_bot003::ability_inkresistance:( :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:)
You walk a lot, so :ability_inksavermain: is much better then :ability_inkrecovery:
Also, with only one ( :ability_damage: ) you can splat popular .96 gal deco build :ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:( :ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:) in standard 4 hits instead of 5.
Good HS is strange guy, everybody can see your shots, but nobody should know, where you actually is right now or when you are going to act. So yeah, you need :ability_coldblooded:.
With the normal, would it be suitible to wear shoes without Ink Resistance Up? With the Deco it is pretty required given the Kraken and one's vulerability with the weapon after it wears off.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
Could I still ask for builds here on this same topic?

:wst_roller_brushnormal00::squidbeacon::kraken:
I'm a Octobrush Rank S looking for an optimal set on Tower Control. My common equip set is the same for 3 modes, but I feel I can do better on Tower using another equip set. What do you suggest me to try?

Actual Gearset:

:head_msk000::ability_tenacity::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_inkrecovery:
:clothes_swt006::ability_coldblooded::ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_inkrecovery:
:shoes_sht004::ability_inkresistance::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:

Thanks!
I'm an octobrush main too, I'll share my set with you and explain it
:head_hbd002:::ability_damage:-:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
Squidstar Waistcoat: :ability_coldblooded:-:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
:shoes_shi005:::ability_inkresistance:-:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

First, I use ink res since you need to get close to people to attack with the octobrush, which means you will end up in enemy ink a lot, so this helps.
Cold blooded I use since octobrush is a stealthy weapon, and ninja squid is obsolete with this, since it slows down the kraken, so cold blooded is what I use
I use swim speed up just because it always is helpful to me able to move faster, and you shouldn't ever be running with octobrush (if you are holding the brush out and painting the floor with it like that, it's fine when you need too, but run speed up doesn't affect that)
Finally, I use the 2 attack since it negates most peoples defense up, so you will always get a 3 hit kill, and it let's you 2 hit them if you hit them at the "critical angle"

Chronya

Full Squid
NNID
Chronometro
With the normal, would it be suitible to wear shoes without Ink Resistance Up?
Actually, no. If you play offensive with Splatlings even little spot of enemy's ink will slow you down and it's extremely dangerous in many situations. That's the main reason I wear so much run speed up too. And cool down after the kraken is the least problem(for me).

My very typical .52 Gal:wst_shot_gravity00: build (also I use it for Tentatek Splattershot :wst_shot_normal01: ) :
:head_eye005: :ability_damage: ( :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_damage: )
:clothes_swt006: :ability_coldblooded: ( :ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_swimspeed: )
:shoes_shi004: :ability_inkrecovery: ( :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed: ) or :shoes_shi005: :ability_inkresistance: ( :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed: )
There's no reason to say anything about this, I think =)

Last edited:

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
I'm an octobrush main too, I'll share my set with you and explain it
:head_hbd002:::ability_damage:-:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
Squidstar Waistcoat: :ability_coldblooded:-:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
:shoes_shi005:::ability_inkresistance:-:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

First, I use ink res since you need to get close to people to attack with the octobrush, which means you will end up in enemy ink a lot, so this helps.
Cold blooded I use since octobrush is a stealthy weapon, and ninja squid is obsolete with this, since it slows down the kraken, so cold blooded is what I use
I use swim speed up just because it always is helpful to me able to move faster, and you shouldn't ever be running with octobrush (if you are holding the brush out and painting the floor with it like that, it's fine when you need too, but run speed up doesn't affect that)
Finally, I use the 2 attack since it negates most peoples defense up, so you will always get a 3 hit kill, and it let's you 2 hit them if you hit them at the "critical angle"
Thanks for the explanation, so Swim Speed up seems really important to Octobrush. I confess I rarely get people when using Kraken because most of times I'm outspeed by full Swim Speed+ builds. You have a shiny equip, congratulations, that's very rare to find!

Right now, I don't have a shiny one like yours, what do you suggest instead?

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
:clothes_swt006: :ability_coldblooded: :ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage: ? Easy to roll.
no, my squash headband with all damage...
EDIT: Oh, you meant something different. Never mind.
Thanks for the explanation, so Swim Speed up seems really important to Octobrush. I confess I rarely get people when using Kraken because most of times I'm outspeed by full Swim Speed+ builds. You have a shiny equip, congratulations, that's very rare to find!

Right now, I don't have a shiny one like yours, what do you suggest instead?
You can friend me and platoon and try to scum I'm from spyke, my NNID is lavalizard24, send me a message saying you are from squid boards and want my headband. If you have splat amino, you can message me there when you have to play against/with me for a match to get me in your lobby, my name there is also Anaru. Otherwise, you can message me here, even though I don't check this as much while actually playing.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
The main problem with :head_amb001: - it's huge.=)
Yes, it is hideous. But we honestly don't have lots of options when it comes to dmg up hats. Which is why I use the white headband so much. Good main ability with natural dmg up rolls. I just think it is more effective to get a couple swim speed on damage hats than a couple dmg ups on swim hats. Damage is really important on brushes in my experience.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Yes, it is hideous. But we honestly don't have lots of options when it comes to dmg up hats. Which is why I use the white headband so much. Good main ability with natural dmg up rolls. I just think it is more effective to get a couple swim speed on damage hats than a couple dmg ups on swim hats. Damage is really important on brushes in my experience.
Why doesn't Krak-on have any hats? One with Damage Up would solve all our problems! Lol

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
My newest ranked charger build:
:head_eye005: :ability_damage: : :ability_swimspeed: :ability_swimspeed: :ability_swimspeed:
:clothes_swt006: :ability_coldblooded: : :ability_damage: :ability_damage: :ability_damage:
:shoes_cfs001: :ability_damage: : :ability_swimspeed: :ability_swimspeed: :ability_swimspeed:

and I also made a new Bamboozler MK II build:
:head_msn000: :ability_runspeed: : :ability_bombrange: :ability_bombrange: :ability_bombrange:
Layered Anchor Tee :ability_runspeed: : :ability_damage: :ability_damage: :ability_damage:
:shoes_bot003: :ability_inkresistance: : :ability_damage: :ability_damage: :ability_damage:

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Why doesn't Krak-on have any hats? One with Damage Up would solve all our problems! Lol
Yes! I wish there was a krak-on and splash mob damage hat. It would open up so many possibilities.
My newest ranked charger build:
:head_eye005: :ability_damage: : :ability_swimspeed: :ability_swimspeed: :ability_swimspeed:
:clothes_swt006: :ability_coldblooded: : :ability_damage: :ability_damage: :ability_damage:
:shoes_cfs001: :ability_damage: : :ability_swimspeed: :ability_swimspeed: :ability_swimspeed:

and I also made a new Bamboozler MK II build:
:head_msn000: :ability_runspeed: : :ability_bombrange: :ability_bombrange: :ability_bombrange:
Layered Anchor Tee :ability_runspeed: : :ability_damage: :ability_damage: :ability_damage:
:shoes_bot003: :ability_inkresistance: : :ability_damage: :ability_damage: :ability_damage:
How do you get so many shinies? Like, seriously, how long does it take to scum these? I've been trying to scum a 3x dmg up pilot goggles, but it'd be nice to have some kind of time frame...

Chronya

Full Squid
NNID
Chronometro
How do you get so many shinies?
oh, it's time for me to shine!
.96 gal build
:head_vis001::ability_specialcharge: ( :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_inksaversub: )
Squidstar Waistcoat: :ability_coldblooded: ( :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed: ) or :clothes_vest001: :ability_inkrecovery: ( :ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup: )
:shoes_amb002: :ability_inksavermain: ( :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed: )

I used :clothes_vest002: :ability_coldblooded: ( :ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub: ) for Heavy Splatling and :head_hat001: :ability_inksavermain: ( :ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub: ) for Splattershot pro, but :ability_inksaversub: is not very effective.

Also, I've got awesome build for awesome H-3 lol
Octoglasses :ability_lastditcheffort: ( :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed: )
Green Cardigan :ability_recon: ( :ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain: )
:shoes_slo007::ability_bombsniffer: ( :ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump: )

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
How do you get so many shinies? Like, seriously, how long does it take to scum these? I've been trying to scum a 3x dmg up pilot goggles, but it'd be nice to have some kind of time frame...
I got all of my shiny through luck, they just all happen to be really good shinies xD

Part of the reason I get so many shinies is I'm tripling every piece of gear. I only have 8 more pieces of headgear before I have the complete set tripled.

Albatross

Senior Squid
NNID
Zacrowski
My Bamboozler MK II set:

Legendary Cap: :ability_damage: | :ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_runspeed:
Forge Inkling Parka: :ability_runspeed:|:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
Acerola Rain Boots: :ability_runspeed:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_defenseup:

Could probably replace the subs on Parka with Bomb Range up and still be fine. Some of my friends did testing with Bamboozler damage at certain charge levels and found that 1 Main and 4 Subs of damage to be ideal for people that semi-charge Bamboozler [like me]. Run Speed useful for strafing, spacing, keeping up with enemies, etc. I tried it with 1 Main of Run Speed and it just didn't feel like enough to keep mobility.

The roll on my Rain Boots is actually beautiful and I love it. Notably because they're branded against Damage up so the roll I got has only a .09% chance of happening, and I got them in the first two slots as well so my friends can order them from me and potentially help make them a super rare triple. It somehow only took like 300k worth of rerolls to get these.

Edit: As much as I love the Rain Boots, I think I've come to the conclusion that it was too much Run Speed and I should only need that much on Hammerhead Bridge. Instead I will be working towards:

Tan Work Boots: :ability_bombrange:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_runspeed:

Starting to really like one BRU main for Disruptors.

Last edited:

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
I find myself using weapons that benefit from having not only a damage up main/3×sub, but a combination - e.g. the cutom jet squelcher making good use of one main and one sub. I also like having some modularity to my builds, meaning I don't like having critical subs spread out over multiple pieces of gear, allowing me to swap out a swim speed main for cold blooded+ 3× swim speed sub if I know it'll be E-Litre happy hour on the current rotation (for example). -So in the custom jet example I would want one piece of equipment with all the necessary damage up and THAT is where the fugly kabuto helmet shines; the probability of an additional damage up is 1/13 instead of 1/16.5 like with typical brands. Of course the legendary cap has the added advantages of being smaller and actually looking good, but that necessitates being level 50 and likely never rerolling it after receiving a useful setup once. :rolleyes:

Back on topic though, this is why I like having the following equipment pieces:
:head_amb001::ability_damage:|:ability_damage::ability_unknown::ability_unknown:
:head_hbd002::ability_damage:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_quicksuperjump:
:clothes_jkt003::ability_damage:|:ability_damage::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
:clothes_tel003::ability_damage:|:ability_damage::ability_unknown::ability_unknown:
:shoes_sht004::ability_damage:|:ability_damage::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:

Edit: To tie things together, I should mention that I prefer to stack the damage up on hats, as I make use of Cold Blooded and Ink Resistance so often, preventing possible stacking there. If the map/weapon allows for it, I can divert the damage to a shirt or shoes to make room for a Tenacity hat or something else like my derpy/hilarious :ability_bombrange:|:ability_bombrange::ability_bombrange::ability_bombrange: Sun Visor. /EndFlaunting

Last edited:

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'm improving! But really, Ink Resistance helps me a lot. I tried many matches without it and was caught in many situations which I could win if I was using it.

kesterstudios

Inkster Jr.
NNID
kesterstudios
Ive just set up a new and better build for my vanilla heavy splatling:
Hero Headset Replica: :head_msn000::ability_runspeed:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:(this one is hard to get)
Sailor-Stripe Tee: :clothes_tes019::ability_runspeed:|:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
Red Hi-Tops: :shoes_shi005::ability_inkresistance:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

When I switch to the Deco version once in a while, I replace the sailor-stripe tee with the Striped Rugby: :clothes_plo001::ability_runspeed:|:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:

ParanoidDrone

Full Squid
NNID
ParanoidDrone
It seems like we can contribute our own builds, so here's what I like using for the .96 Gal:

Fake Contacts :head_eye007::ability_specialcharge:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
White Shirt :clothes_shirt003::ability_inkrecovery:|:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
Orange Arrows :shoes_sht001::ability_inksavermain:|:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:

It's probably obvious by looking at the abilities, but it focuses heavily on Special Charge Up, Ink Recovery Up, and Ink Saver Main. The point is to use Sprinklers to get Echolocator fast and often, while working around their heavy ink consumption via faster ink regen and lower cost for regular shots. Very support oriented in general, although guaranteed 2-shots are never to be underestimated. May or may not be optimal but I like it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom