• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The "What do I use with this weapon?" Build Compendium

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
But ranked builds are pretty limited anyway. You've got "Sanic," damage stacking, quick respawn, and defense stacking. There might be some niche builds like Hitzel's splattershot build, or a special saver set, but there really isn't much variance.

I realize anything can work in TW, that is one of the best things about the mode. Gimmicks work. At the very least, they don't hurt. This thread isn't in the competitive forum for a reason (and I realize competitive != ranked). I think it might be a good idea for you to start one there though, as it would be a good source of information for new competitive players. Otherwise, I'd be happy to include them here with a special tag or designation. Once again, there isn't much variance though...

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Well, I'd like to think most of these are built for competitive play. I know at least mine are, and I'm willing to bet a lot of others are as well. I mean, "competitive gear" can be used in both TW and ranked so I'd say it'd be best to make the most practical gear loadouts period, regardless of what you're planning on using it in. You don't really have to prep any gear for TW, ranked it's different, there's mathematics and such that needs to be factored in, and I'm sure that many others gear were made like mine, with that in mind.

I don't really see a point in having two separate threads when you're going to be seeing a lot of the same loadouts in both.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Well, I'd like to think most of these are built for competitive play. I know at least mine are, and I'm willing to bet a lot of others are as well. I mean, "competitive gear" can be used in both TW and ranked so I'd say it'd be best to make the most practical gear loadouts period, regardless of what you're planning on using it in. You don't really have to prep any gear for TW, ranked it's different, there's mathematics and such that needs to be factored in, and I'm sure that many others gear were made like mine, with that in mind.

I don't really see a point in having two separate threads when you're going to be seeing a lot of the same loadouts in both.
I mean, I don't think anyone is intentionally making bad builds...But I doubt ALL of them are going to be super successful in ranked. And very few of them are used in competitive.

I agree with @tazz though, when you go out to win, in any mode, you should try to optimize your gear. However, a properly optimized loadout doesn't necessarily mean it is great for ranked or competitive. My experience with competitive things is in Magic:the Gathering. There are a several decks out there that are competitive. But also a ton of casual stuff that is fun to play. I wouldn't take a casual deck to a tournament, but I do want to optimize it. Even if it is casual, I don't want it to be bad. I have a great Werewolves deck with (real) dual lands, fetch lands, aether vials, and four-ofs of the other expensive cards. It is optimized. But it isn't competitive. Still a blast to play. I see no reason why Splatoon should be any different. Some builds are fun, like quick jump builds or ninja squid builds.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
I mean, I don't think anyone is intentionally making bad builds...But I doubt ALL of them are going to be super successful in ranked. And very few of them are used in competitive.

I agree with @tazz though, when you go out to win, in any mode, you should try to optimize your gear. However, a properly optimized loadout doesn't necessarily mean it is great for ranked or competitive. My experience with competitive things is in Magic:the Gathering. There are a several decks out there that are competitive. But also a ton of casual stuff that is fun to play. I wouldn't take a casual deck to a tournament, but I do want to optimize it. Even if it is casual, I don't want it to be bad. I have a great Werewolves deck with (real) dual lands, fetch lands, aether vials, and four-ofs of the other expensive cards. It is optimized. But it isn't competitive. Still a blast to play. I see no reason why Splatoon should be any different. Some builds are fun, like quick jump builds or ninja squid builds.
Not saying that was what you were implying. I just don't see a need for two threads that can potentially do the same thing. We already have great and typical builds for commonly seen weapons in competitive play, something that can be literally copied and pasted in another thread. You can have both competitive and fun builds in one thread, yea maybe you should label them as such, but I just don't see the need to split it into two threads.

I mean it isn't my call, I'm simply stating it'd make things more confusing than they need to be and I feel as though it's unnecessary.

tazz

Inkster Jr.
I don't think you should really post "fun" builds next to competitive builds, as suggesting "fun" builds (like ninja squid) is suggesting less optimal builds, which is bad

I hate to say it but some of these builds are pretty bad (brush builds are awful) and to put them next to good builds is misleading

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I don't think you should really post "fun" builds next to competitive builds, as suggesting "fun" builds (like ninja squid) is suggesting less optimal builds, which is bad

I hate to say it but some of these builds are pretty bad (brush builds are awful) and to put them next to good builds is misleading
So suggest a better build. I explicitly stated in my original post that this was a community effort. The quality of the builds, therefore, reflect the effort the community wants to put into it.

Your example, brushes, are hardly used in ranked, and even less so in competitive, so why harp on the builds being bad when the weapons themselves aren't very strong. They are still part of the game, people will want to use them, and people will want to know what works well with them. That is what this thread is for. I'm not a brush user so I can't evaluate them very well. Please provide a better build if it is that bad.

We obviously have a fundamental difference of opinion here. Optimized "fun" builds aren't inherently "bad." I see no reason not to include them. @tazz, can you provide a list of viable builds for competitive Splatoon? I'd be happy to include them in their own category.

@Of Moose & Men, perhaps adding [Casual] and [Ranked] tags could solve the problem without having to separate the thread.

EDIT: Also, work has been crazy and will be crazy for the foreseeable future. I will get into the minutiae of edits when I have a bit more time. Thanks for the patience.

Last edited:

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
Could I still ask for builds here on this same topic?

:wst_roller_brushnormal00::squidbeacon::kraken:
I'm a Octobrush Rank S looking for an optimal set on Tower Control. My common equip set is the same for 3 modes, but I feel I can do better on Tower using another equip set. What do you suggest me to try?

Actual Gearset:

:head_msk000::ability_tenacity::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_inkrecovery:
:clothes_swt006::ability_coldblooded::ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_inkrecovery:
:shoes_sht004::ability_inkresistance::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:

Thanks!

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Could I still ask for builds here on this same topic?

:wst_roller_brushnormal00::squidbeacon::kraken:
I'm a Octobrush Rank S looking for an optimal set on Tower Control. My common equip set is the same for 3 modes, but I feel I can do better on Tower using another equip set. What do you suggest me to try?

Actual Gearset:

:head_msk000::ability_tenacity::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_inkrecovery:
:clothes_swt006::ability_coldblooded::ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_inkrecovery:
:shoes_sht004::ability_inkresistance::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:

Thanks!
Sure!

I would try to get a perfect roll on that gas mask. Special duration helps with krakens. Krakens help with towers (but be careful over water). I also wouldn't mind seeing some more damage up for the octobrush. You're using the Neon Sea Slugs (although you have the wrong shoe pictured), you could use the Cyan Trainers (the shoe that is pictured) for some more damage up. It helps with killing people which is important, well on every mode, but especially on tower control.

You could try the quick respawn + stealth jump gimmick as well.

Last edited:

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
Sure!

I would try to get a perfect roll on that gas mask. Special duration helps with krakens. Krakens help with towers (but be careful over water). I also wouldn't mind seeing some more damage up for the octobrush. You're using the Neon Sea Slugs (although you have the wrong shoe pictured), you could use the Cyan Trainers (the shoe that is pictured) for some more damage up. It helps with killing people, which is important, well on every mode, but especially on tower control.

You could try the quick respawn + stealth jump gimmick. As well.
Thanks for your reply!

I'm a bit afraid of re-rolling it and losing those 2 quick jump boosters, but I think it's valid since helps the Kraken to last a bit more. Even 30 frames more help to finish the game as a Kraken on the tower.
I'm gonna keep using tenacity for two reasons: 1) Many people die on Tower Control, it's not rare to be in less ink-lings than the other team. 2) Seeing the special bar growing keeps me from getting all agressive and die for stupid moves.

Do you think it's ok to stack Cyan Trainers' main Atk with that cloth I have (2 sub atks)? Would it be ok to change my gears to this?

:head_msk000::ability_tenacity::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration: (I still don't have this)
[no pic] :ability_coldblooded::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed: (Don't have this too :D) or :clothes_swt006::ability_coldblooded::ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
:shoes_sht004::ability_damage::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery: (Only this one)

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Thanks for your reply!

I'm a bit afraid of re-rolling it and losing those 2 quick jump boosters, but I think it's valid since helps the Kraken to last a bit more. Even 30 frames more help to finish the game as a Kraken on the tower.
I'm gonna keep using tenacity for two reasons: 1) Many people die on Tower Control, it's not rare to be in less ink-lings than the other team. 2) Seeing the special bar growing keeps me from getting all agressive and die for stupid moves.

Do you think it's ok to stack Cyan Trainers' main Atk with that cloth I have (2 sub atks)? Would it be ok to change my gears to this?

:head_msk000::ability_tenacity::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration: (I still don't have this)
[no pic] :ability_coldblooded::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed: (Don't have this too :D) or :clothes_swt006::ability_coldblooded::ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
:shoes_sht004::ability_damage::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery: (Only this one)
Well, the quick jump thing is up to you. Personally I don't like the ability at all. I tried running two main quick jump perks on a few weapons and I felt it did very little. Super jumping to a friend without stealth jump goes badly like 80% of the time anyway. Any of the tenacity hats could help. The soccer headband gives you ink recovery, the sporty bobble hat gives you quick respawn; those two seem solid. Otherwise I'd go for the special duration up. I've used it with kraken on the CJS and it has let me win kraken battles. It helps with that last push on TC too. But, once again, entirely up to you.

Damage is great on the octobrush because it increases your range slightly. I've seen lots of octobrush users that stack damage up. One main and three subs would be just fine.

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
I'm gonna try your suggestion, it makes sense to me! I'm gonna make those equips and note the results!

Thanks!

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
But ranked builds are pretty limited anyway. You've got "Sanic," damage stacking, quick respawn, and defense stacking. There might be some niche builds like Hitzel's splattershot build, or a special saver set, but there really isn't much variance.

I realize anything can work in TW, that is one of the best things about the mode. Gimmicks work. At the very least, they don't hurt. This thread isn't in the competitive forum for a reason (and I realize competitive != ranked). I think it might be a good idea for you to start one there though, as it would be a good source of information for new competitive players. Otherwise, I'd be happy to include them here with a special tag or designation. Once again, there isn't much variance though...
I wouldn't say niche builds aren't viable for ranked; all you need to know before selecting/optimizing your build is what role your weapon is supposed to fulfill and what gear would augment that (and obviously whether or not this role is appliable to the mode in question). For example you might consider using the Custom Jr. for splat zones on Flounder Heights. You likely wouldn't want to stack ink saver mains, given its already spectacular ink efficiency, and you wouldn't want a loadout designed for berserker style combat. Instead you would want to exploit its great turfing cababilities, quick special charge, and disruptors as a support weapon.

What this thread seems to do is explain a weapon's strengths, suggest methods of exploiting them, and proposing gear that would assist in this. Whether you apply it to tower control, turf war, or whatever is entirely up to the discretion of the user, guided by one's knowledge of the map and its inherent strategies.

Last edited:

yokokazuo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
NagoyaKazuo
One set I'm currently using for the custom 3K scope is
:head_hbd002: :ability_damage: | :ability_inkrecovery: :ability_inkrecovery: :ability_quicksuperjump:
Cycling shirt (don't know how to get the icon) :ability_coldblooded: | :ability_quicksuperjump: :ability_quicksuperjump: :ability_quicksuperjump:
:shoes_sht004: :ability_damage: | :ability_inkrecovery: :ability_inkrecovery: :ability_inkrecovery:

For the headpiece I want to get at least 2 damage subs instead and maybe a third. I use this set though since the quick superjumps allow me to get away from trouble quickly by jumping to one of my beakons or somewhere else like the spawn point or a teammate.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
One set I'm currently using for the custom 3K scope is
:head_hbd002: :ability_damage: | :ability_inkrecovery: :ability_inkrecovery: :ability_quicksuperjump:
Cycling shirt (don't know how to get the icon) :ability_coldblooded: | :ability_quicksuperjump: :ability_quicksuperjump: :ability_quicksuperjump:
:shoes_sht004: :ability_damage: | :ability_inkrecovery: :ability_inkrecovery: :ability_inkrecovery:

For the headpiece I want to get at least 2 damage subs instead and maybe a third. I use this set though since the quick superjumps allow me to get away from trouble quickly by jumping to one of my beakons or somewhere else like the spawn point or a teammate.
Pretty close to the one I suggested. Though, I ran more quick jumps.

yokokazuo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
NagoyaKazuo
Pretty close to the one I suggested. Though, I ran more quick jumps.
Oh, I didn't see that one at first. How long does it take to super jump with 6 subs?
I can't remember for sure and just used a stopwatch on my phone, but I think that with 3/4 I started my jump after around 1.15-1.2 seconds or so.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Oh, I didn't see that one at first. How long does it take to super jump with 6 subs?
I can't remember for sure and just used a stopwatch on my phone, but I think that with 3/4 I started my jump after around 1.15-1.2 seconds or so.
With 3 Subs I got 1.5 seconds, with 6 it's 1.18 seconds.

When you said 3/4 what were you referring to?

Thinking of putting part time pirate over the Cold blooded one though, just to have two sets of each ability.

yokokazuo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
NagoyaKazuo
With 3 Subs I got 1.5 seconds, with 6 it's 1.18 seconds.

When you said 3/4 what were you referring to?

Thinking of putting part time pirate over the Cold blooded one though, just to have two sets of each ability.
Oh sorry, I meant that as 3 or 4 subs.
I think I might go with at least 4 quick super jump subs and depending on how much of a difference 2 strength subs make, I may try to go for 6 quick superjumps instead.
I have been doing well so far with just 2 main strength ups.

(Also I love your title/tag line thing haha)

Last edited:

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Oh sorry, I meant that as 3 or 4 subs.
I think I might go with at least 4 quick super jump subs and depending on how much of a difference 2 strength subs make, I may try to go for 6 quick superjumps instead.
I have been doing well so far with just 2 main strength ups.

(Also I love your title/tag line thing haha)
I always Keep at least 2 Damage ups on my ELiters just because I've grown so used to quick scoping to a certain point it's become second nature. I carry so many super jumps to ensure before my Kraken ends I can gtfo safely.

(WE SPLATTIN' ERRBODY 'ROUND HERE!) :)

Chronya

Full Squid
NNID
Chronometro
I use this builds for both heavy splatlings:
:head_vis000::ability_runspeed:( :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:)
Cycling Shirt :ability_coldblooded:( :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:)
:shoes_bot003::ability_inkresistance:( :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:) or Strapping Reds :ability_inkresistance:( :ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:)

But you can use my 'easy to get' old build.
:head_msn000::ability_runspeed:( :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_damage:)
:clothes_plo003::ability_coldblooded:( :ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:)
:shoes_bot003::ability_inkresistance:( :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:)
You walk a lot, so :ability_inksavermain: is much better than :ability_inkrecovery:
Also, with only one ( :ability_damage: ) you can splat popular .96 gal deco build :ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:( :ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:) in standard 4 hits instead of 5.
Good HS is strange guy, everybody can see your shots, but nobody should know, where you actually is right now or when you are going to act. So yeah, you need :ability_coldblooded:.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom