Thoughts on all King Salmonids?

isaac4

Inkling Cadet
I'm surprised we haven't talked more about the King Salmonids here but my favorite out of the three has to be Horrorboros.
The way he was teased was great and how he would come in at the end of the 3 waves on Inkblot with his loud screech was just really cool.
Splatoon North America on X: We're probably legally required to inform you  that a new type of King Salmonid may begin appearing in March. It's a  giant, terrifying serpent called Horrorboros, and

I think being the only King Salmonid to be able to fly makes him standout more and he has a Booyah Bomb attack, I have to appreciate that lol.

I like Joe too, but I don't have any strong feelings about him. I don't know why, maybe it was because I didn't play Salmon Run all that much when he was added. I definitely like him a whole lot more than Cohozuna though.
Cohozuna is definitely my least favorite. He's just very annoying to deal with and takes up a lot more space if the map is on high tide compared to the rest. He has no weak spot either so he's the hardest to kill.

sevenleaf

Pro Squid
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093
in terms of "which is the coolest" i agree that horrorboros is sick lol. i also remember what it was like first hearing him screech during the inkblot big run... joe's a little below boris by cool factor and coho is kinda just there at this point

in terms of which one i like fighting best, though, definitely joe. i still haven't figured out boris tbh - i know what his weak spot is, but i always feel like when i'm fighting him, i can have only up to two of the following:

ms paint drawn horrorboros positioned as a triangle; the three points of the triangle are labeled i have a golden egg, i am near horrorboros' mouth, and weak spot exposed in the first place

so i struggle with him. i am aware this is what we call a Skill Issue™ but until i figure out how to get around it it'll still impact how i feel about fighting him. meanwhile coho is... fine, i don't mind fighting him, he's just not as interesting, yknow? so joe's kind of the best of both worlds for me. she's a little more interesting to fight than coho but i don't feel like i'm running around the map fruitlessly when i fight her.

reelrollsweat

Pro Squid
joe is definitely my favorite king salmon. i feel like he can be the hardest to beat in fl but i play with friends most of the time anyway lol. i like that you can manipulate his position a lot so he can eat bosses + get in a spot thats easy to hit the weak point in, it was really fun learning joe strats

Grushi

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
I wish they would add one more King Salmonid but they're probably just done with that.
Yeahh since they're not adding any new maps it's probably not happening.

I'm a cohozuna defender, screw it. I like the chonky salmon, he's kind of straightforward to fight, but I like how difficult it actually is, especially compared to boris. honestly I really like all of them, I think they're cool

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
I have different feelings about all of them but they're all positive. The first time I saw coho appear and roar, in the sleep deprived over-adrenlined bleary haze of release night, I was in such awe, it was so magical (and terrifying). boris is just so cool and the scream is incredible; I love to see them lean into the horror aspect of salmon run, even though yeah, probably the most difficult to get into position to do damage to in my experience. Inkblot big run was also the first time I got into EVP so I just have so many good memories there. And joe I will just always love because that big run was probably the most fun I've ever had on a big run, we got to like EVP 300+ which was the highest I've ever gotten on anything and it was just such a good time. I remember the moment during the first joe fight when we all discovered the Weak Spot and just the first thrill of that. aaaaaaaaaaa

I am not sure who I like fighting most. Depends on the map and weapon I guess. Boris can be my most or least favorite depending on those factors. I think Joe is the most mechanically interesting to fight. Coho's the least interesting maybe but still just a lot of fun. A pudgy pinata with pants.

Also please look at this cake/cake topper a friend made for my birthday:

1715190531233.png

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
coho is the best. if you take a smallfry and make it bigger you get a chum. bigger, and you get a cohock. and if you make it even more bigger, you get coho. It's just salmonid.... but big. it also feels the most fun to fight since the pacing is more fluid than "i hope you have a golden egg at this very specific time and location".

Bennet

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
one question, why do we call megadontalia Joe?

isaac4

Inkling Cadet
I forgot but I do remember seeing people calling him Joe on Twitter when he was first revealed. Dude also called him Joe so that probably helped the name catch on.

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
The Japanese name for Megalodontia is ジョー ['Jo'] and twitter's auto-translate read it as "Joe" leading to the following tweet being our first introduction to the new king salmonid since the trailer:

1715368849303.png

And it stuck.

(It means "Jaw", by the way)

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
My thoughts are pretty straightforward.
Cohozuna is all right, and rounds out the bunch nicely as a sort of vanilla space taker. Interestingly, it's the only king with two attacks.
Horrorboros is easily the best of the bunch, if not for mechanics or aesthetics, because it has the best intro scream. "You're all gonna die!"
Megalodontia is definitely the most interesting with its friendly fire and weak point requiring good luring. It's easily the most satisfying.
I want there to be a fourth king salmonid quite badly, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Bennet

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
I forgot but I do remember seeing people calling him Joe on Twitter when he was first revealed. Dude also called him Joe so that probably helped the name catch on.
yeah, I first saw his name 'Joe' when I watched Jaymoji doing a stream of big run and 'Joe' appeared

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom