• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Thoughts on Squidbagging?

SillySocks

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8373-4160-3827
In that situation it was more akin to playful teasing than anything, in my mind. Especially since there's no "blow raspberry" button.
A "blow raspberry" button that came with a cute inkling animation? Sign me up for that. :p

But yeah, never did enjoy the action, legit tactic or otherwise. If you really want to win so bad, those precious seconds squidbagging could've been better utilized focusing on the objective or inking turf. Trying to send other players on tilt should be a thing for games/activities where you know who you're facing or generally have a read on your opponents - like poker! Or I guess in the competitive side of Splatoon, it would make a little more sense tactic-wise...but again, wouldn't it be more efficient to just continue inking/moving?

As for just doing it to be a jerk - that just signifies to me said player's probable lack of emotional stability. So I'll feel sad for 'em for a second or two, then move on. x)

Yayxiamon45

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-4804-6841-0508
You guys are taking it way to seriously, anytime I get squidbagged I'll do it right back it always makes me chuckle a lil during an intense match, also if the splat zone is going down or the tower is almost at the enemy base and we are demolishing the other team I'll squid bag with my teammates as a act of enjoyment. Overall I see squid bagging as a positive experience nothing to be mad about cx

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
You guys are taking it way to seriously, anytime I get squidbagged I'll do it right back it always makes me chuckle a lil during an intense match, also if the splat zone is going down or the tower is almost at the enemy base and we are demolishing the other team I'll squid bag with my teammates as a act of enjoyment. Overall I see squid bagging as a positive experience nothing to be mad about cx
The fact that there's a vast assortment of people who do it for different reasons than you is part of the problem. Attitudes like this never help either.

SillySocks

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8373-4160-3827
To be clear, there's a distinction between squidbagging and squidparty, correct? Honest inquiry since I've only been around for a few weeks of play, so still learning stuff. But yeah, if so, spazzing in the ink with your team in celebration is totally all right with me. :p (especially during those feel-good salmon-run moments)

Foxtrot

Full Squid
I just don't care for it to be honest, Its bad sportsmanship and takes away from the game. I can acknowledge that it is a good tactic to make your enemies tilt however, but I don't personally enjoy making others tilt. It just seems rude in the long run.

@ Doctor: Squidbagging is the exact same function as Squid partying where you enter Squid/Kid form at rapid speeds, they have different intentions/meanings however. Squid partying only really happens for memes and good times, especially in victory in Salmon run. Squidbagging on the other hand is the Splatoon variant to Teabagging, which is a taunt after you've been killed in shooters meant to tilt/make the enemy team frustrated , and thus play worse.

Debbie

Senior Squid
NNID
MissRora
To be clear, there's a distinction between squidbagging and squidparty, correct? Honest inquiry since I've only been around for a few weeks of play, so still learning stuff. But yeah, if so, spazzing in the ink with your team in celebration is totally all right with me. :p (especially during those feel-good salmon-run moments)
I for one, consider post-Salmon Run squidpartying a sign of camaraderie.

Lusamine

Inkling
NNID
lorekeeperzinnia
Switch Friend Code
SW-7031-2898-9798
it's definitely poor sportsmanship. it's annoying, rude, and quite uncalled for when you're trying your best in your match and get the equivalent of spit in the face for (most of the time, in my experience) lucky splats. i dislike playing with people who declare themselves better than other players like that so outwardly. the occasional double-squid back after you kept getting demolished by one opponent doesnt bother me too much-- it's happened before when enemies finally splat me back and give two small squids then get back to work-- but full on taking my entire respawn time to squid just because you can? no thanks!

regular squid parties & salmon run squid fun real quick after successfully completing waves is fine for me though!

MrZNF

Inkling
I love it when people squidbag me. It means their not spending their time filling up their tank/inking territory. I don't get how people get upset over everything these days. Also, first time I heard about it was in a youtube video where someone said to do celebratory squidbag dance after beating salmon run. So that's the only time I do it. I squidbag them salmons! Also did it once to an opponent who did it to me for funsies, but it's really not optimal, and I just want to focus on the game.

dishwasher

Full Squid
I honestly don't see why people get their arms up over squidbagging/teabagging. I don't go around squidbagging everyone I splat, but if it was a hard fought battle, I like to squidbag as a way to incite and encourage them coming back for another good battle. That, or if I splat the whole team haha.

Nuddlmaus

Pro Squid
NNID
Nuddlmaus
Problem is over the last 15 Years Videogames especially shooter got a huge popularity boost and older players who dont want such behavior and newer ones who want to relax not get pissed, something like teabagging fors have a negative taste because its origin is also a negative one.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I don't really condone it anymore and i just consider it poor sportsmanship than anything. It comes across more like "Woo guys! i got a kill! yeaaahh, get owned!" while in the meantime the player on the other side is just looking at his map.

That's a nice feature, if the person who splatted you is being a big jerk about it you can just stamp them out with your map screen. Useful!

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
I'm feeling rather indifferent about squidbagging as a taunt because like others mentioned it makes them more prone to abandoning their objective if even for those 2-3 seconds. I can understand that it can annoy others which is why I don't do it (as a charger main, the time is MUCH better invested in refilling ink / inking my surroundings) but let's be frank for a second there. I've read about it being a bannable offense. Now, against other players, I understand.
But before I learned of this I did squid party with another player for 1-2 seconds after each wave in Salmon Run especially since we were a 3-man team after one DC and still managed to win this...in a sense of celebration. So, now I'm afraid to do even that because this might get me banned? Basically because someone on the crew might misunderstand or just be annoyed and it's the same mechanic (smashing ZL)? Shaking my head to be honest. :|

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
It's worth noting that the splatnet app lets you report anyone you've been in a match with for "unsportsmanlike conduct". I wouldn't put it past people to report chronic baggers, Nintendo's slapped people for less. THE WARNING HAS BEEN GIVEN!

Chancellor Woomy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mixolydia98
I only try to squidbag out of revenge. If some annoying player squidbags me, then I'm more than determined to find him and do the same. Eye for an eye.

I find it incredibly annoying, especially if it's just some guy doing it, that I hadn't even splatted. I would get why they would taunt me, but only AFTER I've splatted them.

Even so, I find it more than ridiculous that players can now get banned (even eventually console-banned, apparently) for squidbagging. Yeah, it's annoying as heck, but come one, if somebody taunts you, then just LEAVE that one specific game. They can't follow you into the other games, even if they wanted to, and nobody's forcing you to stay in that specific game with them. The way Nintendo is treating squidbagging now- this "unsportsman-like" conduct," you'd think it would constitute as cyber-bullying or something, and it's NOT.

I get how irritating those taunts can get, but seriously, if anyone feels the need to report some random guy who taunts them, out of the hopes of getting them banned, then they just need to leave the game and cool off for a minute. It's JUST an immature, annoying taunt. Get over it.

(One thing that seriously confuses me about this new reporting system is how the heck the Splatoon admins will KNOW if you/the other person was squidbagging. I'm betting that a lot of trolls will abuse the system and report innocent players for taunts they didn't even commit.)

Chancellor Woomy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mixolydia98
(I find it funny that the characters in the Smash games ALL have their own sets of unique taunts. Taunting is an official part of the whole game and has been for quite a while. Even though Squidbagging isn't, it's so weird that taunting is totally ENCOURAGED in one game, but blacklisted in another.

Smash and Splatoon both even have the same ESRB ratings. What gives, Splatoon developers?)

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I don't squid bag unless its a 'revenge bag' but if people start getting kicked due to people reporting them for squid bagging my head will explode.

Like the good Chancellor said, taunts are in other Nintendo games but I guess since Splatoon is like a mecca for the tumblr community its so taboo and hurtful in this game I guess.

Yayxiamon45

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-4804-6841-0508
I don't understand why you guys are overreacting, if it upsets you that much you should probably see a doctor anger management ( I'm only joking plz don't hate me) but in all honesty if people start to get banned for squid bagging I will be shocked

SillySocks

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8373-4160-3827
Agreed with the above sentiments. Annoying, uncalled for, probably unhealthy for the game in a miniscule way (because being squidbagged would make players WANT to play more? Especially new players? Prolly not.) But to be banning people for doing it is way too harsh, especially for a non f2p game like Splatoon 2. That doesn't mean we can't still loudly complain about squidbagging. :p But honestly, if people are banned for something that trivial, I'd be more inclined to side with them than with whoever's doing these bans.

HuntersRecon

Inkling
NNID
HuntersRecon
Switch Friend Code
SW-1005-5640-5440
So funny story, I go by Capt.Woomy and I just so happened to get on this thread. I started an account here a long time ago but don't post much. I'm not sure if I'm the same one InkWoomy was talking about but if I was I wanted to say sorry! I hadn't meant that at all. I would never squidbag someone but I do tend to jump in and out of ink a lot. And yeah I am a bit odd in general XD

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom