• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Thoughts on Squidbagging?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I'm inclined to agree that bans for squidbagging would be pointless and trivial, but again, this is Nintendo we're talking about here. Guess we'll see if any reports of it actually happening pop up.

SplatGrease

Senior Squid
NNID
splatsplatoon
i only squidbag if i see a close friend in a match or if its revenge, occasionally squidbag on purpose if i see someone i dislike

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
Freedom to taunt, I always say, is the backbone of any civilized society.

That being said, taunt to get bodied is a true combo in every game so just take squidbagging as an opportunity to blow up your opponent with some fresh finesse~~~

NBSink

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5607-3736-5200
I heard that when enough people report you on splatnet. Nintendo will hit you hard with a permanent banhammer. Which is way beyond every acceptable scale. I would ban them for at maximal 12h no matter how often they are being reported. However: I might be wrong so please check that again.

Squidbagging in Squidparty (As long as it isn't a online match, someone wants to win): Dance Move = Cool and it makes fun
Squidbagging after successful SalmonRun: Screaming Victory = Cool and it makes fun

Squidbagging in a online match: Insulting someone + failing to do the job (There is actual no time where you have time to squidbag. Go and ink over my ink. It gives you map control) = Just, why are YOU SQUIDBAGGING, GO DO SOMETHING ELSE (This is what I feel).

ALSO: If you need to make you enemy angry to win, it just says that you are not good enough to win without that. And nobody need toxicity.

(I find it funny that the characters in the Smash games ALL have their own sets of unique taunts. Taunting is an official part of the whole game and has been for quite a while. Even though Squidbagging isn't, it's so weird that taunting is totally ENCOURAGED in one game, but blacklisted in another.

Smash and Splatoon both even have the same ESRB ratings. What gives, Splatoon developers?)
What? OK. Smash has PEGI12 in Europe (USK12 und Germany) and Splatoon/Splatoon2 has PEGI7 in Europe(USK6 in Germany).
And yeah: Taunting in Smash is kinda accepted (just I don't feel cool with it in online matches). But I don't really play Smash since it's somehow boring for me (And yet, I bought that game anyway).

Chancellor Woomy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mixolydia98
What? OK. Smash has PEGI12 in Europe (USK12 und Germany) and Splatoon/Splatoon2 has PEGI7 in Europe(USK6 in Germany).
And yeah: Taunting in Smash is kinda accepted (just I don't feel cool with it in online matches). But I don't really play Smash since it's somehow boring for me (And yet, I bought that game anyway).
So in America, Splatoon and SSB4 both are rated "E10," which means it's recommended that folks ten years old and up play the game.

SquidletSquidlet

Inkster Jr.
First off, I'd like to note that "seabagging" rolls off the tonuge much better than "squidbagging". That aside...

When someone does it to me, I shout "Rude!" at the screen and move on. I've given the occasional 2 flops after splatting someone who's splatted me repeatedly that match (salt expulsion as it were). The only time I've done more was one time when I was high up in Sturgeon Shipyard, 2 of the other team kept throwing bombs at me.... and missing. In that situation it was more akin to playful teasing than anything, in my mind. Especially since there's no "blow raspberry" button.
hehe i love your way of thinking!

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Well, we now have confirmation, thanks to some rude person on Reddit.

Yes, you CAN get banned for repeated and intentional squidbagging. Judging by the language used in the e-mail and the original poster's ranting, this is only for severe cases and the worst offenders, but it is indeed a bannable offense. We can say all we like about the matter, but this seems to be Nintendo's stance.

SAHSWAMPY

Semi-Pro Squid
unless its in salmon run where everyone wants to do it at the end of a successful egg snatching session, I'm against it a lot, while I don't usually get too mad if someone squidbags me ik it may drive some people round the bend :'3... my honest opinion is that people should not do it unless they know the other players are okay with it. Just my personal opinion I guess <:3

CavvieKat

Inkster Jr.
I find Squidbagging after splatting an opponent to be a sign of immaturity, and overall bad sportsmanship. It doesn't make me angry enough to block anyone for it, which obviously some people will do, but for the most part I just roll my eyes, or maybe say "really?" to my screen before I move on. All things considered, they're just wasting their own time when they could be getting more of their own ink down.

When turning into a squid then back to a kid repeatedly after winning Salmon Run, or when "partying" in the middle of Turf Wars, I just call it squid dancing-- or squidancing, if you will ;P -- instead of squidbagging to differentiate between that and taunts. It's done with entirely different intentions, after all.

SAHSWAMPY

Semi-Pro Squid
When turning into a squid then back to a kid repeatedly after winning Salmon Run, or when "partying" in the middle of Turf Wars, I just call it squid dancing-- or squidancing, if you will ;P.
seems like a good name :3

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
While i still think it's dumb, getting banned for Squidbagging is a little bit extreme.

It doesn't make much sense to have to report it anyways, since the game could easily detect when someone is squidbagging (rapidly tapping ZL just after splatting an opponent). I think it's more fair to give the offending player less cash/exp at the end of the game and leave it at that.

dishwasher

Full Squid
I personally think everyone who reports people for squidbagging needs to check your attitude. I understand this is a kids game and gloating isn't what they wanna promote, but you're also promoting passive-aggressiveness which causes way more conflict than it solves. It's just a game afterall, and as many people have said, squidbagging (in my case) is used to entice another good battle with a player.

I can understand using the reporting for reporting players that throw matches though.

Debbie

Senior Squid
NNID
MissRora
Well, we now have confirmation, thanks to some rude person on Reddit.

Yes, you CAN get banned for repeated and intentional squidbagging. Judging by the language used in the e-mail and the original poster's ranting, this is only for severe cases and the worst offenders, but it is indeed a bannable offense. We can say all we like about the matter, but this seems to be Nintendo's stance.
Techincally you're getting banned due to multiple reports which may or may not be due to seabagging. Without seeing the complaints themselves, we don't know for sure. That said, even multiple people in this very thread are bothered by it so it's best to play it safe. But I swear to Cod if I start getting reported for post-Salmon Run squid partying...

On a tangentially related note: If you check Google images for "squidbagging" and scroll a bit, you come across Dessgeega's avatar and it links you to this very thread. Dessgeega is now the face of seabagging. :p

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Techincally you're getting banned due to multiple reports which may or may not be due to seabagging. Without seeing the complaints themselves, we don't know for sure. That said, even multiple people in this very thread are bothered by it so it's best to play it safe. But I swear to Cod if I start getting reported for post-Salmon Run squid partying...

On a tangentially related note: If you check Google images for "squidbagging" and scroll a bit, you come across Dessgeega's avatar and it links you to this very thread. Dessgeega is now the face of seabagging. :p
Of course, I had a rep for hating squid parties on the first game, makes sense I'd get some sort of curse on the second game too o_O That said, it's an odd oversight that people encountered in Salmon Run cannot be reported at all, with how this system works.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
I don't mind squidbagging, it's like taunts in smash. Whenever someone does it to me, I'll make a point of killing them and then squidbagging them back, then once the match is over I'll send them a friend request.

I'll also squid party / squidbag if I get a really good kill (for example a 360 shot or a collateral from a charger).

It's just a taunt over a petty victory, if you don't like it, get over it - it's not a big deal.

Pierre

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Funfair
I always got angry with squidbagging in the past, especially splatoon 1. I would get adrenaline and try to chase that squidbaggers down. But now I've tried calming down and telling myself it doesn't really matter. So now when someone squidbaggs me, I'll play the game normally. If I get a few splats on them, I might do a revenge flop but nothing more.

I named myself "SQUIDBAGME" on my switch so it's actually quite funny when people squidbag me after they splat me :p I think that squidbagging and taunts in general are all in the head. I had no idea what it even was before I started joining the splatoon community, and that's when I was bothered by it. Just try not to get bothered by it and play normally.

If I see someone squidbag a teammate, however, I will make sure I can avenge them.

tl;dr just don't let it get in your head that much

SillySocks

Senior Squid
Premium
Switch Friend Code
SW-8373-4160-3827
I named myself "SQUIDBAGME" on my switch so it's actually quite funny when people squidbag me after they splat me :p
Aah! :scared: I remember seeing you in a match! (if that name is uniquely yours, anyway) Didn't end up squidbagging you, though - do I still win an attendance prize? :p

I think there may be some karma at work here, because the last three inklings that squidbagged me ended up getting insta-avenged on-screen - and all three games we won as I recall. Wonder if we could compile some statistics on the relative worth of this phenomenon... x)

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
I generally dislike squidbagging, since it's mostly a gross display of arrogance. If I happen to splat someone who squidbagged me, I'll do it back. It doesn't happen often enough for me to really tell how much it gets to me.

As petty as it sounds, I do understand squidbagging a particularly annoying opponent. I don't agree with it, but I understand it. I watched this LPer do it once in 53 episodes to an annoying Charger. It was actually pretty funny.

Pierre

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Funfair
Aah! :scared: I remember seeing you in a match! (if that name is uniquely yours, anyway) Didn't end up squidbagging you, though - do I still win an attendance prize? :p
I haven't seen anyone else use it, so it probably was me! I honestly don't remember what weapon I was using, so... I can't say what weapon I was using?? But yes, attendance is always rewarded! But you still should've squidbagged me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom