Thoughts on the possibility of a content extension?

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
That's part of the issue, if we are going to have this many specials, more that two kits per main weapon are needed to offer enough permutations of them.

If you are looking to play something in particular, you may not have enough options to play what you want to play. Consider some examples of what's not available anywhere in the game:
  • A Shooter, Splatling, Brella, or Stringer with Zipcaster.
  • A Dualie, Brella, Blaster, Brush, Stringer, or Splatana with Kraken.
  • A Roller, Charger, Dualie, Blaster, Brush, Stringer, or Splatana with Inkjet.
  • A Splatling, Brella, Blaster, or Stringer with Beakon.
  • A Roller, Dualie, Brella, Brush, Stringer, or Splatana with Fizzy Bomb.
  • A backline weapon with Trizooka.
  • A backline weapon with Crab Tank.
  • A backline weapon with Torpedo.
  • A backline weapon with Burst Bomb.
  • A Stringer with any good kit at all.
The fact that backliners as a whole are lacking a number of options is even more damning than looking at any one weapon class. And realistically, I would want to further separate frontline/midline/backline within each class and make sure those all have enough options each.

Last edited:

Cephalobro

Well, they just announced a special Splatfest themed around summer nights, with 6 pieces of headgear to follow. Plus a a feature that if you win a 10x, a 100x, and a 333x battle, you will get 1, 10, or 33 Festival Shells that you can use on the Shellout Machine.

Bennet

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
Well, they just announced a special Splatfest themed around summer nights, with 6 pieces of headgear to follow. Plus a a feature that if you win a 10x, a 100x, and a 333x battle, you will get 1, 10, or 33 Festival Shells that you can use on the Shellout Machine.
... I am going to grind my way up the ranks for a better possibility for a 100x, I never won a 333x battle, maybe this splatfests I can finally win a 333x battle

Driftwood

Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-3698-7224-9692
I wonder if that means they will be adding more shellout prizes, specifically banners and locker decorations (edit: and titles), since there will be some people that have way more conch shells than normal.

Last edited:

Bennet

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
I wonder if that means they will be adding more shellout prizes, specifically banners and locker decorations, since there will be some people that have way more conch shells than normal.
possibly like me, every two to three splatfests battles I do in a row are 10x's and if I do enough 10x battles I get a 100x

Tinybitt

Inkster Jr.
Here’s my 2 cents:

I feel like we will not get a content extension instead maybe a few balance patches… and I honestly think that’s the way to go.

I think the overall amount of content we got for splat 3 was pretty good. There are of course some complaints I have about bringing back certain maps (curse you smokeyard and bluefin) and some kits are just like.. “who asked for this?” (Mainly the custom tuber and explosher). I also find it very peculiar that the dev team only added a new splatana and stringer in the literal last major content update of the game. I feel like the basic idea of “Dynamo” splatana and “Dynamo” stringer are pretty easy to implement.

BUT I’m very glad that the game is not bloated. There are a few games that I feel like have stuck with the whole “monthly/quarterly major updates” and now feel way too overwhelming for new comers or way too complicated for most people.

Also, that will give them more time and ideas to implement in splat 4, which I’m honestly not sure if they will start cutting weapons out or forgo the kit system entirely or come up with some gimmick or etc.

isaac4

Inkling Commander
Also, that will give them more time and ideas to implement in splat 4, which I’m honestly not sure if they will start cutting weapons out or forgo the kit system entirely or come up with some gimmick or etc.
Accidently sent this earlier than I meant to but I was going to say that I really hope they don't take out weapons in the next game.

Tinybitt

Inkster Jr.
Accidently sent this earlier than I meant to but I was going to say that I really hope they don't take out weapons in the next game.
I think it won’t be the end of the world for me if some do get taken out, but I would certainly miss the goo tuber or the nozzlenose if they would get cut in a reminiscing kinda way.

It’s kind of a “Damned if you don’t, damned if you do” situation. If you take weapons out, people will be upset that Nintendo took away their main. If they don’t, people will complain about bloat/kits with no purpose.

I feel like it will be the same situation with idols lol

Cephalobro

I feel like they won't cut weapon replicas from the next game though, because most of the weapon replicas are tied to the original, that is unless they do introduce weapon skins to trim away some of the unnecessary content.

That and because weapon replicas are just so easy to be included as single-player mode rewards since the only things that are different are names and appearance, everything else is identical.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
I mostly agree with this, but at the same time, I feel like the game won't be able to handle much more weapon content outside of adding onto the classes that don't already have six weapons. Maybe a single new weapon class to round out the total to twelve.

I would be fine with a few weapons being removed to make way for new content. By which I mean the entire brush class.

Cephalobro

The one thing I am glad is happening is the end of new catalogs. Just cycle through older catalogs, no need to put older stuff in new catalogs if you just cycle the catalogs and let players complete them in their own time.

Also, in terms of the new Splatfest bonus, this seems to be Nintendo actually adding a way for players to lessen the grind, this time when it comes to the Shell-Out Machine, anything to lessen the grind is what I will always welcome.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I think trimming the fat would be a positive. There are a handful of weapons that I think are just poorly designed and would be healthier for the game if they were simply thrown out.

And if the number of main weapons is the excuse for having only two kits each, then let's not waste kits on bad main weapons.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
And if the number of main weapons is the excuse for having only two kits each, then let's not waste kits on bad main weapons.
Truer words have yet to be spoken on this forum. Though, I doubt that's the problem.
If we look at the list of weapons people would want to remove, it's clear that they're not really eating up that many good kits.

We have the brushes, the gals, Squeezer, Goo Tuber, Bloblobber, Clash Blaster, and Undercover Brella, a total of 20 kits to examine.
I'll be sorting these kits into the categories of "good", "bad", and "decent" for simplicity's sake.

Splash Wall + Killer Wail 5.1 is decent.
Curling Bomb + Splattercolor Screen is decent.
Sprinkler + Ink Vac is bad.
Splash Wall + Kraken Royale is decent.
Splash Wall + Tri-Zooka is decent.
Autobomb + Splattercolor Screen is decent.
Torpedo + Tenta Missiles is decent.
Fizzy Bomb + Ultra Stamp is decent.
Sprinkler + Ink Storm is decent.
Angle Shooter + Kraken Royale is bad.
Splat Bomb + Tri-Zooka is good.
Curling Bomb + Super Chump is decent.
Splat Bomb + Killer Wail 5.1 is good.
Ink Mine + Ultra Stamp is bad.
Suction Bomb + Zipcaster is good.
Squid Beakon + Ink Storm is decent.
Curling Bomb + Wave Breaker is bad.
Point Sensor + Tenta Missiles is decent.
Ink Mine + Reefslider is bad.
Torpedo + Splattercolor Screen is decent.

The final tally of the kits on weapons we could feasibly remove is 12/20 are decent, 5/20 are bad, and 3/20 are good. In broad terms.
I don't think bad weapons are eating up kit quality.

I don't know why I calculated this.

Driftwood

Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-3698-7224-9692
We have the brushes, the gals, Squeezer, Goo Tuber, Bloblobber, Clash Blaster, and Undercover Brella, a total of 20 kits to examine.
I'll be sorting these kits into the categories of "good", "bad", and "decent" for simplicity's sake.
I'm not sure I've ever heard of someone wanting to get rid of the *entire* brush class before. As for the gals and squeezer, I know some people think they are overtuned but that's more grounds for a nerf. And all those but Goo are kind of popular.

For better or worse all weapons seem to have at least some adherents but if we were going to get rid of any would think they should be the ones we don't see that often. The Nozzlenoses seem like good candidates, as does Goo. And Recyble Brella seems to have fallen off though it's kind of early to say for sure. Maybe Nova? Mini perhaps (I know this last one is very hot take but I honestly don't see it that often)? But other than those I feel like I see most of the various weapons pretty frequently.

Last edited:

Picle

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4195-9440-3526
We've been getting conflicting hints from Nintendo. They never outright stated that next season would be the last on the announcement, and they extended content for the two previous games, but they're also adding two kits for the new weapons, and they're teasing the final big run and final fest.

Do you think there will be an extension?

Personally I have no clue. They could be clearing out the second kits to make space for third kits. And let's not forget that there's a direct in June where they could announce and extension
I had a hint of opium that since Nintendo was introducing brand new main weapons, that they would essentially be forced to make a content extension since they can't just release a new main weapon and not give it a 2nd........ and now Nintendo has revealed that the new main weapons will have their 2nd kit in the same season. So I have little to no hope for a content extension

briank913

Inkling Cadet
NNID
briank913
Switch Friend Code
SW-0159-0074-0919
I haven't seen the title at the end of the new catalog, the video showcase that's on Inkipedia's page stopped right on the second to last page of the catalog.
On item 90 something, there's a title that says "Thank You For Playing"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom