Thoughts on the possibility of a content extension?

Driftwood

Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-3698-7224-9692
I'll actually argue for removing Squeezer just to protect players from tendonitis. Games shouldn't use this type of input.
I think for Squeezer (and Inkbrush) adding the option to automash would be a better solution. There are two buttons that let you throw clams currently (A and L). One could be repurposed to let you auto mash by holding it down while you fire.

Not that I actually expect Nintendo to either of those things. These are popular and unique weapons and I don't expect them to be dropped, and Nintendo isn't exactly the best when it comes to accessibility.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
I'll actually argue for removing Squeezer just to protect players from tendonitis. Games shouldn't use this type of input.
I had an idea a while back that squeezer (and perhaps the brushes) could be changed so that they shoot when you press zr and also when you release it. it would cause some weirdness with only being able to enter rapid fire/rolling every other shot, but I think it's worth it so that people can actually play the weapons.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
I'm not sure I've ever heard of someone wanting to get rid of the *entire* brush class before. As for the gals and squeezer, I know some people think they are overtuned but that's more grounds for a nerf. And all those but Goo are kind of popular.

For better or worse all weapons seem to have at least some adherents but if we were going to get rid of any would think they should be the ones we don't see that often. The Nozzlenoses seem like good candidates, as does Goo. And Recyble Brella seems to have fallen off though it's kind of early to say for sure. Maybe Nova? Mini perhaps (I know this last one is very hot take but I honestly don't see it that often)? But other than those I feel like I see most of the various weapons pretty frequently.
Brushes are the only entire class that could be feasibly replaced. Most people agree that their design is, well, not good.
The Gals and Squeezer could be nerfed, hypothetically, but Squeezer specifically needs its semi-auto fire rate to be nerfed, and the Gals are inherently flawed in their power for accuracy trade-off. The weapons need reworks to become balanced.

I don't think removing weapons that aren't typically used is a good way to go about it.
The L-3 Nozzlenose suffers two outclassed kits, the H-3 Nozzlenose is one of the best weapons to have in the meta.
Goo Tuber is a more reasonable choice, but if Nintendo managed to fix the weapon it would undeniably be one of the most fun.
Recycle is bad, sure, but that's partly due to its kits, and a range or shield HP buff would drastically improve the weapon.
Nova... yeah that one's kind of a lost cause.
Mini has two bad kits and is easily compared to shooters, which hinders its popularity. When Mini is good, it's an awesome weapon.

Driftwood

Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-3698-7224-9692
Brushes are the only entire class that could be feasibly replaced. Most people agree that their design is, well, not good.
The Gals and Squeezer could be nerfed, hypothetically, but Squeezer specifically needs its semi-auto fire rate to be nerfed, and the Gals are inherently flawed in their power for accuracy trade-off. The weapons need reworks to become balanced.

I don't think removing weapons that aren't typically used is a good way to go about it.
The L-3 Nozzlenose suffers two outclassed kits, the H-3 Nozzlenose is one of the best weapons to have in the meta.
Goo Tuber is a more reasonable choice, but if Nintendo managed to fix the weapon it would undeniably be one of the most fun.
Recycle is bad, sure, but that's partly due to its kits, and a range or shield HP buff would drastically improve the weapon.
Nova... yeah that one's kind of a lost cause.
Mini has two bad kits and is easily compared to shooters, which hinders its popularity. When Mini is good, it's an awesome weapon.
For brushes, are specifically talking about the mashing requirement (for which I would argue that they should add a auto-mash option) or something else? That's the only real large scale complaint I've heard about the class.

Anyway I think the main argument for removing less popular weapons is simply that fewer people would miss them. Even if they could be saved with slight tweaks or better kits, it's just less of a hurt than getting rid of more popular options. I don't think any weapon "deserves" to be in the game more or less than any other, for me it's just a question of what will cause the least impact on the player base.

Also a side note but V Mini and L-3 D have burst bomb / ultra stamp and that's not a bad kit. Don't get me wrong it's not an amazing kit either but hammer is not horrible after the area of effect buffs. It's certainly not in Reef Slide/Chump territory. And it seems like it's really good at lower levels of play (which *is* a substantial portion of the player base). Anyway hammer's deficiencies doesn't seem to stop Sploosh players from using it. I honestly think it's the weapons that are suffering since there are so many good midline options.

Driftwood

Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-3698-7224-9692
I guess I should add that obviously my observations of what seems popular is anecdote, not data. If Nintendo did remove weapons on this basis they almost certainly will have a deep dataset to rely on.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
I would say brushes serve a good role and are well designed outside of the mashing requirement
You really don't have to aim with a brush at all. They basically attack in a 90 degree cone, or 30 degrees in the case of Painbrush.
I've been splatted by Octobrush players looking 45 degrees in the wrong direction on multiple occasions.
They can also completely ignore enemy ink while travelling at near swim speeds, or even faster in the case of Inkbrush vs. heavyweight. Fighting a brush with any skill shot weapon is a complete pain since they can just run around erratically to avoid getting hit.
Sheldon explicitly states that Inkbrush is annoying in the very description of the weapon.
They don't even serve a good role, not a single one is in the meta, nor has one been in over a year. They just don't fit.

I don't think brushes need to be removed, they can be unique and fun for more casual players. I just think they're first on the chopping block if we're getting more new weapon classes in Splatoon 4.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
Anyway I think the main argument for removing less popular weapons is simply that fewer people would miss them. Even if they could be saved with slight tweaks or better kits, it's just less of a hurt than getting rid of more popular options. I don't think any weapon "deserves" to be in the game more or less than any other, for me it's just a question of what will cause the least impact on the player base.
You have to consider what's making a weapon unpopular when you choose whether to remove it, though.
Splattershot Nova isn't picked because the weapon has terrible damage and accuracy. Good removal candidate.
L-3 Nozzlenose isn't picked because vSplash completely outclasses both of its kits. It just needs a kit to help it stand out better.

I can understand wanting to disappoint the fewest number of players, but a weapon's potential shouldn't be discounted.
Both H-3 and Mini have proven in the past that they're really fun weapons if they're given the tools they need to work.

Also a side note but V Mini and L-3 D have burst bomb / ultra stamp and that's not a bad kit. Don't get me wrong it's not an amazing kit either but hammer is not horrible after the area of effect buffs. It's certainly not in Reef Slide/Chump territory. And it seems like it's really good at lower levels of play (which *is* a substantial portion of the player base). Anyway hammer's deficiencies doesn't seem to stop Sploosh players from using it. I honestly think it's the weapons that are suffering since there are so many good midline options.
I already mentioned how L-3 D is outclassed, but I'll also touch on Mini, because it does look like a decent kit on paper. Burst Bomb has been proven to work well with Mini in the past. The issue is synergy, Ultra Stamp doesn't work well with Mini at all, to the point where most Mini players just throw the special away when they get it.
The weapon really wants a special that doesn't take away its main weapon, since Mini plays a lot around its paint power. It also doesn't need Stamp as a panic button, it's perfectly capable of dealing with enemies that try to dive it. Honestly, Mini would probably be better with Wave Breaker than Hammer. If Stamp were decent on Mini, I'd probably be playing Mini myself.

Catloafman

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
Fella
You really don't have to aim with a brush at all.
They can also completely ignore enemy ink while travelling at near swim speeds
I mean that is supposed to be the strength of the weapon class
The lack of harsh aim requirement means that the weapon is very consistent in close quarters making it an excellent bully to short range weapons or weapons that depend on mobility like shooters brellas and dualies

Ignoring enemy ink is only really annoying on clam blitz but if we are completely honest with ourselves the strat of brush ratting balls to the basket is shut down pretty hard by good anchors

Now yeah brushes aren't good but I think thats at the map designs fault and also because of the presence of tacticooler which makes high mobility weapons stand out less

Also sure maybe the weapons are "easy" to an extent I think Splatoon needs some easy weapons not every weapon in this game needs to be a splatana stamper tenta brella or a charger

I don't think they will ever remove weapons (outside of a rework like dual squelcher) but even then I think brushes aren't my first pick for the hypothetical chopping block

Driftwood

Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-3698-7224-9692
So S3 is the first game I played seriously (I did play S2 but not anywhere to the same extent) and I don't really play mini so I'll concede to your points there (though I actually think L-3D is fun...also there are are a lot of outclassed weapons that still see a lot of use like clash or aerospray).

I guess my point is this. If the devs decide they need to get rid of x number of weapons and then even after getting rid of all the really flawed ones (like goo), they still need to cut more, I still kind of think it would make sense if they cut the ones that were less popular recently. In this scenario all the weapons left are ones that have potential, whether that potential is realized in the current game or not. Is this recency bias? I mean yes of course it is but that's why fewer people would be disappointed using this criteria...*in general* people would be less disappointed if they lose something that was fun way in the past than if they lose something that was fun recently. Obviously this wouldn't be the case for every individual, but for the population as a whole this should cause the lowest sense of loss.

Tinybitt

Inkster Jr.
You really don't have to aim with a brush at all. They basically attack in a 90 degree cone, or 30 degrees in the case of Painbrush.
I've been splatted by Octobrush players looking 45 degrees in the wrong direction on multiple occasions.
They can also completely ignore enemy ink while travelling at near swim speeds, or even faster in the case of Inkbrush vs. heavyweight. Fighting a brush with any skill shot weapon is a complete pain since they can just run around erratically to avoid getting hit.
Sheldon explicitly states that Inkbrush is annoying in the very description of the weapon.
They don't even serve a good role, not a single one is in the meta, nor has one been in over a year. They just don't fit.

I don't think brushes need to be removed, they can be unique and fun for more casual players. I just think they're first on the chopping block if we're getting more new weapon classes in Splatoon 4.
A charger main by any chance? XD
But yeah, I fully agree. Maybe a bit unsurprisingly since I am charger main, but still. I feel like very fast movement weapons are usually punished by extremely low damage/terrible accuracy/only able to use the fast movement as an ability or something in other games, but brushes literally negate any of that by not having to aim, being fast as heck making it impossible to hit and having decent enough damage.

Driftwood

Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-3698-7224-9692
But yeah, I fully agree. Maybe a bit unsurprisingly since I am charger main, but still. I feel like very fast movement weapons are usually punished by extremely low damage/terrible accuracy/only able to use the fast movement as an ability or something in other games, but brushes literally negate any of that by not having to aim, being fast as heck making it impossible to hit and having decent enough damage.
I kind of think brushes being a counter to chargers specifically is plus since chargers are pretty strong class to be honest. They don't have that much range and their time to kill is lower than short range shooters. They aren't really strong at top level anyway which kind of shows that there is counterplay to them.

Cephalobro

Here's something about the newest catalog: There's an extra page to it, a page that wasn't even revealed. Your guess for what will be shown on that page is as good as my guess, but Nintendo conveniently decided to keep that extra page a secret.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
I play Stringer, so you're not far off. Considering the entire premise of the weapon is trapping and blowing up opponents, brushes tend to be more of a nuisance than usual. I am biased in that regard.

I don't think there's any chance in hell they'd remove an entire weapon class.
I think there is a very slim chance in hell of brushes getting removed, at least as a class. Each brush could probably be reworked into another class of weapon like a splatana or roller, thus eliminating brushes, but not the three brush weapons.

Tinybitt

Inkster Jr.
I kind of think brushes being a counter to chargers specifically is plus since chargers are pretty strong class to be honest. They don't have that much range and their time to kill is lower than short range shooters. They aren't really strong at top level anyway which kind of shows that there is counterplay to them.
They are definitely a counter to chargers, but like… they can still be incredibly destructive in unprepared soloQ.

I played both inkbrush and octobrush for a bit following an advice of “If a weapon is beating you, try playing it and you’ll learn it’s limits and counters” and yeah, inkbrush does have pretty low damage and range but with the Octobrush I consistently got 13+ splats by just running around. I was at A+ then. I also feel like the reason brush doesn’t work as well in higher competitive is because teams are a lot more organised and any brush is pretty easily countered. It can wreak havoc on SoloQ because barely anyone is organised and a lot of the times backline is completely unprotected

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
Trying to shoot brushes is the funnest part of playing e-liter
no i am not joking

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom