• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Weapons that in our opinions should get nerfed

Which one of the 3 weapons I listed should get a nerf ?

• Dualie Squelchers

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Blaster

Votes: 24 58.5%
  • Sloshing Machine

Votes: 8 19.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BlookyLeYoshi

Inkling
NNID
BlookySpooky
Switch Friend Code
SW-1841-4108-5905
I've been starting to wonder this alot, do some weapons need to be nerfed ?
In my honest opinion, some should and since I don't want to talk about them alone I'll read all of your opinions on some weapons that need nerfs.
Here are some of my opinions on weapons that should get a nerf (in my opinion):

A weapon that annoyed me after a few patches of the game were the Dualie Squelchers (I can already see pleople that might not agree), they have high range and high fire-rate and it's a 4 hit splat weapon... ok, but the amounts of buffs that it got, I felt were pretty needed until 2.0 when the buffs given just started to irritate me the weapon got buffed almost each patched without a significant nerf for a game change.

Another weapon is the Blaster, I got less annoyed by them because of the new Clash Blaster buff and everybody almost shifted to that but when the Blaster is played, it still annoys me alot. Atleast decrease the impact range because even though you are standing 10 meters from the shot you still manage to get hit also reduce by a tiny bit the retical for direct hits.

And finally the other weapon that I could think of is the Sloshing Machine, this weapon has long been my least favourite in the game for a reason, it outclasses all the Sloshers in Splatoon 2 imo and it's hitbox is HUUUGE and even though you don't feel like you got hit, the reticle is also big abling the Sloshing Machine to often 2 hit splat.

What are your opinions ? Please share them below. ;)

(The poll will be up for 2 months)

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
The Blaster is the only weapon that really needs a nerf right now, mostly because the kit is obnoxiously broken on the weapon.

Dualie Squelchers are getting overbuffed, but the kit (Point sensor, Tentamissles) is pretty restraining. Once the Customs come out with Splat Bomb and Sting Ray I can see them getting a nerf.

The Sloshing Machine has fallen from grace recently, I assume mostly because most comp players consider the Slosher Deco superior, often at the top of their tier lists.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
So, among the weapons that you listed I think that the ones that need to be nerfed are the N-Zap and the Octobrush. Allow me to explain.

Both of these weapons are looked at as a problem for different reasons, but many agree that they can be viewed as nearly brain dead. The argument can be made that the Splattershot and the Aerospray could be considered brain dead as well, but I am only going to be focusing on the N-Zap and the Octobrush for now. If the discussion continues, then perhaps we will discuss the other two in greater detail. For now, let's start with a rather, or at least what I feel could be, divisive choice.

Right now, it is currently considered to be one of the best weapons in the game, at least by the standards of the meta and popular choice. I, personally, have seen this weapon carry entire teams to victory. I am, of course, referring to none other than the H-3 Nozzlenose. Hehe...this is a joke you see. I am talking about the N-Zap. This is a weapon that has almost no weaknesses in the eyes of the meta. It has good range, fair damage, light weight, very good mobility, is rather accurate and it paints well. It can fulfill just about any role in a team, which is indeed the definition of a good weapon. But I think that's the problem. It is a bit too good. There is a reason why this is argued to be the best weapon in the game. It often throws me off that challenging an N-Zap with a weapon that should have better range/ttk often ends with me being cleanly beaten. So my answer to the problem here is simple. Either reduce its range or make the weapon spread a bit greater. Either one could make the weapon a bit more fair without actually hurting its viability too badly.

The other one that I wish to discuss right now is the Octobrush. It doesn't take long to see why this weapon can be a pain. I've been splatted by an Octobrush while flanking them at a 90 degree angle due to the huge arc in which the Octobrush can strike! It is absolutely ridiculous and often leads to a lot of 'WTF' moments where you're sure that the encounter should have gone a different direction only to end up trading or being cleanly beaten. The solution here would be either to decrease the weapon's effective arc or perhaps to make it consume more ink per swing. With one solution the swings would have to be more tactical in order to make sure that the enemy lands within the effective arc/range of the weapons instead of it being a swing and forget weapon. The other solution would make it so the weapon wouldn't be able to repeatedly swing as long, making it necessary to carefully pick your battles in order to make sure your swings are effective.

There is the possibility that perhaps I am just being salty, but these are the weapons I am having the most trouble with currently. I welcome discussion of these points, but please try to keep it civil! I could have also mentioned the Sploosh-o-Matic but I think I will leave that for another time. Right now, I will leave this here. Oh, and if you are wondering which of the weapons you listed for your poll I would pick, I would pick the Sloshing Machine.

BlookyLeYoshi

Inkling
NNID
BlookySpooky
Switch Friend Code
SW-1841-4108-5905
Before you've said that I didn't pay any attention to the Octo but looking at it back, it's pretty broken. The Octo to me is considered a bigger Sploosh-o-matic with longer range and that can kill in the same amount of hits plus it is good at dealing with 2v1s due to it's wide arc whereas a Sploosh would just get destroyed, heck the Octo Nouveau and Neo Sploosh have the same kit making the Neo Sploosh mediocre and outclassed in my opinion.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
So, among the weapons that you listed I think that the ones that need to be nerfed are the N-Zap and the Octobrush. Allow me to explain.

Both of these weapons are looked at as a problem for different reasons, but many agree that they can be viewed as nearly brain dead. The argument can be made that the Splattershot and the Aerospray could be considered brain dead as well, but I am only going to be focusing on the N-Zap and the Octobrush for now. If the discussion continues, then perhaps we will discuss the other two in greater detail. For now, let's start with a rather, or at least what I feel could be, divisive choice.

Right now, it is currently considered to be one of the best weapons in the game, at least by the standards of the meta and popular choice. I, personally, have seen this weapon carry entire teams to victory. I am, of course, referring to none other than the H-3 Nozzlenose. Hehe...this is a joke you see. I am talking about the N-Zap. This is a weapon that has almost no weaknesses in the eyes of the meta. It has good range, fair damage, light weight, very good mobility, is rather accurate and it paints well. It can fulfill just about any role in a team, which is indeed the definition of a good weapon. But I think that's the problem. It is a bit too good. There is a reason why this is argued to be the best weapon in the game. It often throws me off that challenging an N-Zap with a weapon that should have better range/ttk often ends with me being cleanly beaten. So my answer to the problem here is simple. Either reduce its range or make the weapon spread a bit greater. Either one could make the weapon a bit more fair without actually hurting its viability too badly.

The other one that I wish to discuss right now is the Octobrush. It doesn't take long to see why this weapon can be a pain. I've been splatted by an Octobrush while flanking them at a 90 degree angle due to the huge arc in which the Octobrush can strike! It is absolutely ridiculous and often leads to a lot of 'WTF' moments where you're sure that the encounter should have gone a different direction only to end up trading or being cleanly beaten. The solution here would be either to decrease the weapon's effective arc or perhaps to make it consume more ink per swing. With one solution the swings would have to be more tactical in order to make sure that the enemy lands within the effective arc/range of the weapons instead of it being a swing and forget weapon. The other solution would make it so the weapon wouldn't be able to repeatedly swing as long, making it necessary to carefully pick your battles in order to make sure your swings are effective.

There is the possibility that perhaps I am just being salty, but these are the weapons I am having the most trouble with currently. I welcome discussion of these points, but please try to keep it civil! I could have also mentioned the Sploosh-o-Matic but I think I will leave that for another time. Right now, I will leave this here. Oh, and if you are wondering which of the weapons you listed for your poll I would pick, I would pick the Sloshing Machine.
It's not the Nzap that needs the nerf, it's the Ink Armour. If they removed all of the invincibility frames after you break the armour it would be fine.

When the game first released, I also thought the Octo was overpowered. Yes, it is braindead and requires no aim to use effectively, but it also can be beaten fairly easily by weapons like Splattershot if you have good aim.

_Koriko_

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3709-6740-5598
Sloshing Machine and rapid blaster. Maybe it's just me, but when these weapons shoot, even if I'm nearby and it's not a direct shot, most of the time it nearly kills. Personally I think the window for damage should be closed a bit. That would require these weapons to be more accurate and you'd need more skill to splat, but in this case, I'll die even if there are no directs and I'm not completely hit by the original shot.

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
Here's things about my thoughts on what should be nerfed...how and why. I'm no game designer or anything, but I like to do this..
Though I'm more inclined to give buffs to weaker things first, this thread is about nerfs, so here goes.

The Blaster's Splashdown makes its weakness pretty much void. Messing up your spacing with the Blaster, or any blaster, really, usually results in death in most cases, unless the Blaster lands a direct which isn't easy to do. Splashdown gives a panic button for those times they mess up their spacing. It also combos extremely well with the Splashdown's 55 damage and the Blaster's indirect damage being 50-70, giving you an almost guaranteed kill. To top it off it has really low cost of 170p, making it that they have it available nearly all the time, despite being a bad painting weapon

How I would nerf it : Considering it has Toxic Mist and that the main weapon, that doesn't paint well to begin with, is the only way to paint to charge that special, upping the special cost to 200 or 210 would be better. (The current cost being 170)
It would make it so they wouldn't have it ready nearly all the time and just generally having the special less often. The Blaster gains so much with Splashdown, it needs to have a higher cost to it.
The reason why N-Zap 85 is so high up in this meta is not really because of the weapon itself, though it is a pretty good all around weapon, with very high mobility, good painting and moderate damage. If they were to nerf the N-Zap itself, the Splattershot Jr. would take its place almost immediately because of Ink Armor, which is where the problem lies. They both have the ability to spam Ink Armor really well, and the N-Zap ended up being at the top for being the more reliable weapon in combat. Even though it did get nerfed to 210p special cost, it wasn't enough, so I would do a very slight thing.

I would slightly nerf the N-Zap's painting capabilty. That would also affect the N-Zap 89, so to compensate for the slighty less proficient turfing capability, the 89's special cost would be reduced from 190 to 180 or 170.
With this, the Splattershot Jr. would be the designated ''Armor spammer''. The Jr. isn't as reliable in combat, so being able to be a heavy support with map control and Ink Armor would give it its niche.
Last but definetly not least, is Ink Armor. It is the best special in the game right now, as it requires no commitment whatsoever, and it gets massive results. The extra invincibility frames it has when it breaks allows it to sustain much more damage than it actually should. It also passes on Ink Armor to every squid that is alive, no matter where they are on the map, no matter what happens to the caster , when activated. Even if you get killed after pressing special, it still passes on to anyone that stays alive

How I would nerf it: First, I would make it that Ink Armor gets cancelled completely and doesn't passes onto teammates if the caster dies before it is applied to him.

Second, I would do one of two things...
1) Reduce the invincibility frames more so it can't take too much damage. As of right now the invincibilty frames give it much more protection than it should, and it makes one of its counter, high fire rate weapons, not effective at countering it.
OR
2) Don't touch the I-frames, but instead, make it that you need to be standing in a certain radius from the caster upon being activated for it to be applied to you, so it doesn't pass on to teammates that are overextending and gets randomly saved only because you pressed special.
This would give the special a bit more commitment and require some coordination to get most out of it, and with the Armor weapon needing to be closer, you could either focus him down before it gets activated, or prepare defenses for a heavy push against Armored opponents.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
I always thought that the Dualie Squelcher were OP, but seriously the Blaster needs a nerf. But you know what even needs a nerf more? The Clash Blaster

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
It’s tough to nerf the blaster because it goes back on everything that’s been making the blasters more viable, notably removing a lot of jump RNG. Maybe they could make the explosions a little smaller, but that would make the range blaster take its place. Blasters are that class where if you nerf one you’d have to nerf them all, at least main weapon wise.

I think Toxic Mist is fairly balanced which leads to splashdown being the main culprit, and overall I can see it being nerfed in the near future. Like, it’s reminding me of Bubbler and Kraken as a kind of instant win button, but really, those specials were helpful, as much as I hated them, in the way that you should always be wary of certain weapons when they had their specials ready, like you really had to try and get them to a corner to trigger their specials whilst also having an escape route planned for yourself. I think that’s something that could be improved on in general to beat the splashdown in the meantime until the inevitable nerf.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
If they were to nerf the Blaster, it would probably kill it 100%, because the Range Blaster would be way better. And if they were to nerf both, literally the Rapid Blaster would be in the hardcore meta. And also the Rapid Blaster would be way better. I think that the Rapid Blaster is already better, but it requires more precision than the Blaster, so I am honestly ok with it if they don’t nerf it

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
If they were to nerf the Blaster, it would probably kill it 100%, because the Range Blaster would be way better. And if they were to nerf both, literally the Rapid Blaster would be in the hardcore meta. And also the Rapid Blaster would be way better. I think that the Rapid Blaster is already better, but it requires more precision than the Blaster, so I am honestly ok with it if they don’t nerf it
The problem with Blaster is that it synergises too well with Splashdown. The minimum damage of a splashdown is 55, and the minimum indirect damage of Blaster is ~50 as well, meaning you're basically dead whenever you get hit by even the very edge of a splashdown. The best way I can see them balancing this is to not let the splashdown user move, shoot, or do anything for around 15-20 frames after landing. This allows a much greater chance of escape from the Blaster.

The Toxic Mist makes players immobile, and you can then Splashdown and indirect to get an unescapable kill. I would also like Nintendo to raise the special requirement of Blaster to at least 200p.

The Range and Rapid Blaster would probably take its place on most teams, yes, but they are balanced (for the most part). The main weakness of the Blaster class is the inability to fight up close unless your accuracy is 100%. By giving Blaster Splashdown, you remove one of the only weaknesses. Range and Rapid do not have this, so they will be fine.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
Nerfing the Blaster? Not a good idea. The weapon class, in and of itself, did nothing wrong. But I find that every weapon that has the Splashdown can be a nightmare to go up against. I am aware that all you need to do to avoid it is to just swim backwards away from it, but that can be more easily said than done at times. I am also constantly confused by the range of the Splashdown which seems to extend far beyond the ring that is shown when the user activates it. I am all for nerfing Splashdown. I have been splatted too many times by a Splashdown when I should have won the battle simply because they have that panic button that they can abuse. It's a lot like the Bubbler or the Kraken in the first game. The difference being that I can usually survive encounters with those. Being able to push them away with your weapon fire makes those less of an issue, also leading to some funny moments like pushing the Bubbled enemy into the water or holding off the Kraken with your Inkbrush.

On the topic of Ink Armor, I can see what the problems with the Ink Armor are. I may not have the biggest issue with Armored enemies, but I get it. Ink Armor is basically the 'Hakuna Matata' of specials. Requires no effort, aim, or skill to be able to use. The true definition of braindead. Part of the reason why I like the Inkjet myself. Not the easiest special to work with, but it has subtleties and nuances that make it fun to use and quite effective when used properly. I agree that Ink Armor needs a nerf though. For how easy it is to use it has too great of an effect on the game when it is used.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Why nerf the Blasters? They have piss-poor ink coverage in comparison to every other class in the game, and botching one shot, once is enough to get into trouble with it, besides, if your team don't turf properly, blasters will have a hard time getting around, due to their weak coverage.

Why NOT nerf the Dualie Squelchers? Why even bother with a sniper quality weapon that can zip through enemy ink and take down long range weapons of their own, besides it almost seems they fire a lot faster a dodge too, making any other dualies absolete if they don't have the proper range.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Why nerf the Blasters? They have piss-poor ink coverage in comparison to every other class in the game, and botching one shot, once is enough to get into trouble with it, besides, if your team don't turf properly, blasters will have a hard time getting around, due to their weak coverage.

Why NOT nerf the Dualie Squelchers? Why even bother with a sniper quality weapon that can zip through enemy ink and take down long range weapons of their own, besides it almost seems they fire a lot faster a dodge too, making any other dualies absolete if they don't have the proper range.
Not a nerf to the Blaster itself, but a nerf to the Splashdown, which is insanely broken on the weapon for the reasons I've given above.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
I agree that the goodnes of some weapon sets comes from the specials rather then the main weapons, they schould start there.
Personally i’m hoping they meta steps more away from the specials, e.g. in splatoon 1 where specials had a too big impact on it’s meta place imo. (correct my if i’m wrong, don’t remember it too well)

Otherwise, pls don’t nerf blasters directly, yes they’re indirects can be annoying but i can’t call any blaster ‘too good’.
Besides they can break easely with nerfs and most are pretty skill dependent.

Duallie squelchers, i can see why people think they’re OP.
Very good range, fire rate and dodge roll (fire).
But imo, the kit is very Support/defence focused and doesn’t do a aggresive playstyle justice limiting it’s destructive cabilities. (Also iirc, the current meta is catered to offensive playstyles)
On top of that, duallie squelchers are not weapons you want to be using close range and to an extent mid-range.
If the alternate set comes out, this may or may not change this.
I could live with it getting some slight nerfs to the dodge roll and fire rate maybe, but i don’t think it deserves anything major.

@Flammie i wouldn’t go so far to say squelcher duallies dodge fire makes the other duallies, or atleast the splat line, of them absolete.
Dodge roll fire takes a moment to ‘prepare’ and splat duallies have higher fire rate even without dodge roll.
Also, those duallies have a much quiker dodge roll too making them much more usefull in closer ranges.
And there’s the enperry kit too.

I honestly don’t have alot of expirence with the sloshing machine even on higher ranks.
The times i did face them, they didn’t seem anything really special but again, i barely faced them so well...

Last edited:

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
@Flammie i wouldn’t go so far to say squelcher duallies dodge fire makes the other duallies, or atleast the splat line, of them absolete.
Dodge roll fire takes a moment to ‘prepare’ and splat duallies have higher fire rate even without dodge roll.
Also, those duallies have a much quiker dodge roll too making them much more usefull in closer ranges.
And there’s the enperry kit too.
I've tested it on the test ground, the Dualie Squelcher gets out of it's dodge roll faster than others, other Dualies also gets glued on spot for a moment, where as the Squelcher can move somewhat in all direction earlier than the other, combining that it can dodge backwards out of the range from the other dualies, they are glued stuck, and quick reflexed D-Squelcher can hit them before they can move, plus they fire away a little slightly faster too.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
@Flammie So would you recommend a nerf to the dodge roll then? Make the roll slightly slower while also making it so that they can't come out of the "turret" mode as quickly?

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
@Flammie So would you recommend a nerf to the dodge roll then? Make the roll slightly slower while also making it so that they can't come out of the "turret" mode as quickly?
Dualie Squelchers "Turret Mode" is almost half as long if not much shorter than any other Dualies, and it also fires almost instantly after the roll is complete too, and they do have the longest range of all Dualies.

I do not know what to nerf about it, so it can still be used as intended, and still not outclass any of the other Dualies.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Nintendo purposely made the DS able to move after dodge rolling effectively removing it's "turret mode" to give it more mobility. I think this is fine, but perhaps the dodge rolls could be slower. I mean all in all it's really not that strong unless you let yourself get zoned out by them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom