• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What's Up With VC?

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
I understand, and honestly, even if I could use it (ill be playing the game in the family room of my parents' house most of the time) I probably wouldn't. I just don't like the reason they gave.
I agree with you on that. Their reasoning behind it was somewhat flawed. And also yeah, even if I could use it i probably wouldn't.

BedBison

Inkster Jr.
I think it should have had voice chat and the reason behind not having it is stupid, but I'm not gonna loose sleep over it. Most people don't even have a head set for the Wii U anyways and I imagine most people aren't gonna run out and buy one just for this game. There's other options out there, however cumbersome they might be.

Xon Suprimes

Senior Squid
I think that Splatoon will be one of those games where you can communicate through your movement.

iDaylon

Inkling Cadet
VC has always been a terrible option. Implementation of it would only cause dismay and bigotry, nothing positive at all. Besides with it, you're just going to have the underage kids with extremely squeaky voices and 40-year olds that are there for either whining or other insipid reasons. Also external voice chats like Skype, Radicall, Teamspeak etc. can be used to utilize communication methods so VC shouldn't even matter.

Nibroc

rasutosutāman
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
A Producer on Splatoon recently talked about the voice chat issue in the this interview: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/hisashi-nogami-interview- . Here's what he had to say about VC:

Hisashi Nogami said:
"In terms of communication in games in general, there are two main types: communication about strategy, and communication about feelings you have while playing at that moment. When that point is applied to this game, one interesting aspect of Splatoon is that the actions you take shooting ink can immediately be seen in the stage you're playing by yourself and other players, and conversely when you see the actions other players are taking shooting ink, it's something you can interpret immediately and then base your next actions on that and judging what that means. That's an important part of the gameplay in Splatoon.

In designing the game, we paid special attention to allowing the gameplay to cover a lot of ground for that kind of strategic communication. However we definitely understand the importance players put on that other type of communication that's more feelings-based.

And so because we understand that desire for players to have that kind of emotional communication, we can imagine players using some way or another to achieve that extra layer of communication while playing the game."
He sums it up pretty nicely. I'm interested to see what people think about it after getting some time with the game after release.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
A Producer on Splatoon recently talked about the voice chat issue in the this interview: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/hisashi-nogami-interview- . Here's what he had to say about VC:

He sums it up pretty nicely. I'm interested to see what people think about it after getting some time with the game after release.
mmmk so he basically said what a few of us are saying. We'll just end up using 3rd parties for voice chat anyways
edit: nice find btw

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos

It's nice to see them addressing the VC issue. I don't doubt the fact another reason for not including it is because the game is designed to be played by people of all ages, and I'm sure they know that some people won't be very civil online.

Undr

It's a blessing to streamers. Don't have to worry about randoms screaming slurs on your stream. I can do viewer nights without worrying about muting mics and such. And this is a plus for the competitive community as well. So yeah, I'm coming around on the no VC thing.

SuperMii3D

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
It's a blessing to streamers. Don't have to worry about randoms screaming slurs on your stream. I can do viewer nights without worrying about muting mics and such. And this is a plus for the competitive community as well. So yeah, I'm coming around on the no VC thing.
It really depends. When youre trying to watch Splatoon online gameplay or streaming for others,sure not having VC is fine. But when youre the one playing the game competitively, itd be kinda of nice to know what your teammates are doing just to give everyone a heads up.

Undr

It really depends. When youre trying to watch Splatoon online gameplay or streaming for others,sure not having VC is fine. But when youre the one playing the game competitively, itd be kinda of nice to know what your teammates are doing just to give everyone a heads up.
Oh I agree. As a streamer though I would never want someone I don't know and someone I can't hold accountable for speaking on my stream. One major reason why I avoid online games with sprays or tags in them. I'm pretty sure most professional* streamers feel the same way.

*By professional I mean "behave professionally", lol.

EDIT: Oh, and to address the point you made, most people who are actually playing competitively are going to be with others they know on a voice chat program. I wouldn't consider any form of pub game to be competitive.

SuperMii3D

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
Oh I agree. As a streamer though I would never want someone I don't know and someone I can't hold accountable for speaking on my stream. One major reason why I avoid online games with sprays or tags in them. I'm pretty sure most professional* streamers feel the same way.

*By professional I mean "behave professionally", lol.
Fair enough, I can understand your point of view. I still kind of wish they had made VC with only your teammates, that way you dont have to hear the cussing and taunting from the opposing side, and you can still let your buddies know whats going on.

Undr

Fair enough, I can understand your point of view. I still kind of wish they had made VC with only your teammates, that way you dont have to hear the cussing and taunting from the opposing side, and you can still let your buddies know whats going on.
100% in agreement. They could've easily had VC in the game and have it hidden behind any number of parental controls as well.

SuperMii3D

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
100% in agreement. They could've easily had VC in the game and have it hidden behind any number of parental controls as well.
Oh absolutely.However, it seems like they got lazy and decided just not to add it in. Its a shame, but maybe they just cant do it? You cant use VC while playing in a match of Smash Wii-U or Mario Kart 8....

Tepip

Inkster Jr.
I don't care much, none of my friends even play Wii u.

Though I can understand how it would be infuriating to some.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
welp I guess that is indeed a plus for it. Even though, i don't think muting is that much of an issue. It does add onto the case that 1st party in-game vc from nintendo is not necessary

EnderGamma

Senior Squid
NNID
EnderGamma
I recently made a video regarding my personal opinion on voice chat but I'll give the textual version here.

I understand that Nintendo wanted to take steps to prevent online bullying to avoid toxicity, but I think there should have been optional voice chat feature. To me the biggest issue with not having voice chat is the lack of communication between the community in games. Folks in game can't create and develop spontaneous teams or friendships within a match. All that effort must be done outside of the game (forums, streams, etc). This may seem petty or casual, but if we want a community to grow strong and together, I think a way to talk among one another in game as potential strangers-turned-friends is important.

However it has been stated that it is impossible to add voice chat at this point. So hopefully the content creation scene, streaming scene, and awesome forums such as this we can grow a passionate and awesome fan base for the game so it can be everything we want it to and more.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
It depends whether or not the game suffers without it. Hopefully, they built the game around there not being any voicechat.

It can still be really good even without voicechat. People need to calm down and use the wait and see approach.

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
Party chat would be such a good feature it is sad COD will remain as the game that gives players the most options and has provided the best online experience on WiiU. CoD: Invites, Onscreen Notfications, Messaging, Party System, Voice chat, Custom lobbies. Splatoon won't have half of these features and the WiiU doesn't as well minus messaging lol.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
Hopefully, they built the game around there not being any voicechat.
It is! And that's what I keep telling people... VC is not needed because of the way the game is built. Your actions speak much louder than your words, because where you ink is where you're going. You don't need to vocally tell everyone on your team what you're aiming for, they already know. And again, as has been said a billion times in this thread, skype.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
It really sucks that due to the lack of VC, all the comments section of every splatoon news is nothing but arguments over this game not having VC. :/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom