• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Which weapon makes you salty

rsnw

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Jamipami
big shoutouts to "gamer pro", "super pro" and "**ProBro**" for the cool RGs in rainmaker

HypernovaSoul

Semi-Pro Squid
I can't even deal, ever, with Luna Blasters. The Neo set made them worse. I also second the E-Liter gripes. The thing needs a damage / range nerf desperately. Ironic that total nerf devastation was dealt to the rollers in the initial big patch, yet most blasters and chargers remain over-ranged and overpowered.

YOJOEHOJO

Inkling
NNID
YOJOEHOJO
I can't even deal, ever, with Luna Blasters. The Neo set made them worse. I also second the E-Liter gripes. The thing needs a damage / range nerf desperately. Ironic that total nerf devastation was dealt to the rollers in the initial big patch, yet most blasters and chargers remain over-ranged and overpowered.
The E-Liters did get a nerf so that they would be less effective unless they are to be charged all the way, granted that if the person is good enough they will always be fully charged before shooting and safe in any situation they are in. Meanwhile, the Blasters you need to get a direct hit on the opponent to be a one hit kill and if you don't it's a 2 shot. While I do agree that it's hard not to die from either of these you just gotta learn how to avoid these and just hope for the best.

What makes me salty is .52 and .96 Gal, but really only because I still need to practice some tactics against them.

chrisblass1

Pro Squid
NNID
Chrisblass1
Really hate scope E-Liter, which is weird cause i dont much problems with the non scope version. im just fed up being in a fight with a squid just to get splatted by someone from the other side of the stage.

Lester Roquefort

Pro Squid
NNID
LesterRoquefort
Switch Friend Code
SW-2928-7410-6310
Chargers, the Luna Blaster and the Dynamo Rollers. The latter, actually, merely tasks me, but it's still worth mentioning.

Chargers because... well, i don't even understand them. Sure, you can say "They're for sniping", but it's hard to snipe something that hides and gets faster when it hides in plain site...

Luna Blaster, because it's still too short range. It's one of those guns i consider a "Melee gun"

Dynamo Rollers because they're SOOOOOO SLOOOOOOW and they waste SOOOOOOO MUCH INK. Though, i suppose the massive tsunami you get off the flick is kinda nice... IF THE FLICK WASN'T SO WEIRDLY SLOW IN THE FIRST PLACE!! Seriously, who derps that hard when they fling a roller?

Legacy

Inkster Jr.
All Blasters and Dynamos are quite annoying. I can get around them, just annoying to play against.

duskrelics

Inkling
NNID
reeves36
e-liter scopes, but mostly because i only use non-scoped versions and the fact that they out-range me means its incredibly hard to get a kill on them. >:|

HypernovaSoul

Semi-Pro Squid
The E-Liters did get a nerf so that they would be less effective unless they are to be charged all the way, granted that if the person is good enough they will always be fully charged before shooting and safe in any situation they are in. Meanwhile, the Blasters you need to get a direct hit on the opponent to be a one hit kill and if you don't it's a 2 shot. While I do agree that it's hard not to die from either of these you just gotta learn how to avoid these and just hope for the best.

What makes me salty is .52 and .96 Gal, but really only because I still need to practice some tactics against them.
Yeah, that's true. It just really frustrates me that partial blaster hits still deal massive damage (almost always requiring you to flee or be splatted), as where partial/uncentered roller splashes now do basically chip damage and leave ample opportunity for standing your ground to punish. I might just be a salty roller user, but personally I think blasters should've been dealt a similar nerf (if they aren't a direct hit, they should never OHKO or inflict huge damage).

As for the chargers, virtually every charger I come across runs Attack Up, which does allow for 1HKOs off partially charged shots (and obnoxiously fast Burst Bomb kills). That's what gets to me most about them.

I totally agree with the Gal class comments. Their huge damage combined with their Splash Wall protection....ridiculously obnoxious to counter. They seem to be less effective on stages with smaller amounts of flat surfaces though.

Ashmia

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
She/Her
Switch Friend Code
SW-5925-5789-2185
Definitely the Luna Blaster Neo. All those splat bombs makes me want to poke my eyes out. And as a charger main, I can honestly say that any other charger, with or without scope that go out of their way to specifically splat me multiple times makes me pretty salty. Then again, I'm sure I'm the main target for everyone else anyway.

YOJOEHOJO

Inkling
NNID
YOJOEHOJO
Yeah, that's true. It just really frustrates me that partial blaster hits still deal massive damage (almost always requiring you to flee or be splatted), as where partial/uncentered roller splashes now do basically chip damage and leave ample opportunity for standing your ground to punish. I might just be a salty roller user, but personally I think blasters should've been dealt a similar nerf (if they aren't a direct hit, they should never OHKO or inflict huge damage).

As for the chargers, virtually every charger I come across runs Attack Up, which does allow for 1HKOs off partially charged shots (and obnoxiously fast Burst Bomb kills). That's what gets to me most about them.

I totally agree with the Gal class comments. Their huge damage combined with their Splash Wall protection....ridiculously obnoxious to counter. They seem to be less effective on stages with smaller amounts of flat surfaces though.
I was never around before the nerf on the splat rollers so I don't feel the pain. With that being said, I only can comprehend the saltiness through theory. Blasters should be nerfed to a degree, because I feel that the whole point of them is to have steady close-range aim to get a krill or be krilled (haha, get the pun? Yeah, never again). As for the Chargers, it's basically the same thing except Long Range. I feel that Chargers should be set up so that if you don't charge it all the way then it wouldn't shoot all the way. Maybe that is just me though.

HypernovaSoul

Semi-Pro Squid
I was never around before the nerf on the splat rollers so I don't feel the pain. With that being said, I only can comprehend the saltiness through theory. Blasters should be nerfed to a degree, because I feel that the whole point of them is to have steady close-range aim to get a krill or be krilled (haha, get the pun? Yeah, never again). As for the Chargers, it's basically the same thing except Long Range. I feel that Chargers should be set up so that if you don't charge it all the way then it wouldn't shoot all the way. Maybe that is just me though.
They were nerfed pretty severely (forced roller users to reboot their strategy, particularly Dynamo), though I can't deny rollers were initially overpowered and didn't require much aim or precision. My gripe is that blasters honestly still don't, even after the nerf lol.

And omg yes. So much truth spoken there. Partial charge =/= full range shot. The attack power and distance should always coincide with the amount of charge, period. I would also be okay with the charger's line of fire being enlarged or given a brighter shine so it's easier to tell when you're in one's sights. There are definitely charger counters, but they have such a massive advantage over so many other weapons. Praise Nintendo for Ninja Squid. One of the consistently safest methods of approaching them.

Overall, I would say Splatoon is mostly balanced comparatively speaking, nothing game-breaking anyway, imo. But there is definitely a disproportionate mix of weapon types in higher tiers of ranked. Can't remember the last time I played a ranked match with no Luna Blasters or E-Liters.

NeoSeth

Senior Squid
I actually do not think Blasters - not Luna Blasters, Custom Range Blasters, or any other blaster - are OP. I think a big problem is that fighting them is counter-intuitive, and so when a lot of players think they're doing the right thing they are actually playing right into the Blaster's hands and so you can start to feel like "Jeez, I did everything right and I still died!"

Blasters don't require a ton of aim only at a specific range. It's easy to think that Luna Blasters have pitiful range and you should be able to zone them out easily, but the bursts of their rounds is actually quite large. If you really want to mess them up, you want to get in at point-blank range and circle-strafe or something. It is MUCH more difficult for blasters to hit people up close to them, since they need to connect with the pellet and not the burst. If your weapon has much longer range (Splattershot Pro, CJS, .96 gal, etc.) then zoning them out is great, yes, but a lot of weapon with less range are actually playing into the Luna Blaster's hands by trying to outrange them. Obviously this isn't full proof as they can still hit you with a direct, but with how fast the Luna Blaster can fire often your choice is to either remain at burst range or get up close. Getting up close is the better option every time.

Blasters are very good at pressuring the tower, yes, but with the exception of the Rapid Blaster Pro (which doesn't pressure the tower as well as the standard blasters anyway) it's pretty easy to keep them away. Luna Blasters do apply stupid amounts of pressure, yes, but their range is pretty bad and your team should be able to keep them away.

That's my spiel on Blasters haha. The weapon that makes me saltiest is the Splattershot Jr. It charges Bubbler SO FAST. It seems like it always has it ready! I played against a guy last night with two Special Charge Up mains and 5 subs. It was a nightmare!

Double-bubbler teams are also a pain in the butt. So much frustration.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I actually do not think Blasters - not Luna Blasters, Custom Range Blasters, or any other blaster - are OP. I think a big problem is that fighting them is counter-intuitive, and so when a lot of players think they're doing the right thing they are actually playing right into the Blaster's hands and so you can start to feel like "Jeez, I did everything right and I still died!"
Yes, I think you're spot on. You should usually rush down a blaster to min-range them so it is much harder to kill you. And it IS unintuitive. I always start running away before the second burst comes, but what I really want to do is close in. Hard to get away from that mindset though.

HypernovaSoul

Semi-Pro Squid

Blasters don't require a ton of aim only at a specific range. It's easy to think that Luna Blasters have pitiful range and you should be able to zone them out easily, but the bursts of their rounds is actually quite large. If you really want to mess them up, you want to get in at point-blank range and circle-strafe or something. It is MUCH more difficult for blasters to hit people up close to them, since they need to connect with the pellet and not the burst. If your weapon has much longer range (Splattershot Pro, CJS, .96 gal, etc.) then zoning them out is great, yes, but a lot of weapon with less range are actually playing into the Luna Blaster's hands by trying to outrange them. Obviously this isn't full proof as they can still hit you with a direct, but with how fast the Luna Blaster can fire often your choice is to either remain at burst range or get up close. Getting up close is the better option every time.

Blasters are very good at pressuring the tower, yes, but with the exception of the Rapid Blaster Pro (which doesn't pressure the tower as well as the standard blasters anyway) it's pretty easy to keep them away. Luna Blasters do apply stupid amounts of pressure, yes, but their range is pretty bad and your team should be able to keep them away.

That's my spiel on Blasters haha. The weapon that makes me saltiest is the Splattershot Jr. It charges Bubbler SO FAST. It seems like it always has it ready! I played against a guy last night with two Special Charge Up mains and 5 subs. It was a nightmare!

Double-bubbler teams are also a pain in the butt. So much frustration.
As you said, I think the issue is the huge burst radius makes it difficult to anticipate where the safest area to close in would be. Ultimately the partial burst splatter does WAY too much damage to make it safe to approach if you're already hit. In the initial videos demonstrating the difference after the nerf, you can visually see that uncentered roller splash hits now only do minimal splatter damage, as where a partial blaster hit shows the target completely covered in ink (i.e., a single drop more touches them and they're done). I think the change I'm suggesting would be fairly minimal and very simple, partial blaster hits just flat out need to inflict less damage. If that's not an option the shots need to fire more slowly. Given the slow-as-molasses Dynamo fling (which now does little damage on its sides), I think it's a very fair suggestion.

That being said, I will give your suggestion a try. It is some of the best advice I've heard against blasters. I'm a Gold Dynamo main & nowadays go for the Octobrush Nouveau or Tri-Slosher in Tower Control, all of which struggle in terms of approaching a Luna Blaster. They're just so frustratingly common in ranked, and as you said the pressure they apply, especially in Tower Control, can be really overwhelming. When I take out a Luna Blaster, it is usually up close but it's too often a trade. The shots just fire too quickly and do too much damage. I'm doubtful any more huge weapon nerfs will be added to the game at this point, so I suppose I'll just have to try these different tactics lol.

NeoSeth

Senior Squid
That being said, I will give your suggestion a try. It is some of the best advice I've heard against blasters. I'm a Gold Dynamo main & nowadays go for the Octobrush Nouveau or Tri-Slosher in Tower Control, all of which struggle in terms of approaching a Luna Blaster.
Well, now I understand. If a Luna Blaster is close enough to hit you as a Dynamo you are probably dead. My advice then would be to try and bait them into a situation that's advantageous for you. I'm sure you need no one to tell you that the Dynamo punishes bad approaches hard haha. With all of those weapons, since they don't kill that fast I would try circling around to the opposing player's left to get behind them before you spring your attack. Being up-close and at an unfavorable angle will make it very hard for them to hit you before dying. Nonetheless, you're right in saying they have hard match-ups against Lunas. Best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom