• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Which weapon makes you salty

HypernovaSoul

Semi-Pro Squid
Well, now I understand. If a Luna Blaster is close enough to hit you as a Dynamo you are probably dead. My advice then would be to try and bait them into a situation that's advantageous for you. I'm sure you need no one to tell you that the Dynamo punishes bad approaches hard haha. With all of those weapons, since they don't kill that fast I would try circling around to the opposing player's left to get behind them before you spring your attack. Being up-close and at an unfavorable angle will make it very hard for them to hit you before dying. Nonetheless, you're right in saying they have hard match-ups against Lunas. Best of luck!
Yeah, that's what I've been doing and should probably do it more often. I run Ninja Squid, which I feel like is uncommon on Dynamo but it's hugely helpful in safe approaches and runarounds. Since the Dynamo fling covers such a huge area, it's nice to be able to ink turf from afar and then close in on stealth mode. Seems like that's the main tactic I'll have to be using against blasters. Some of my weapons have a large amount of rough matchups in general, but I have too much fun using them to main anything else lol. As long as I've been playing Splatoon, none of the guns have resonated with my play style as much as the rollers, brushes & sloshers. Anyhoo, thanks for the suggestions. :)

Blair ✩

Inkling
NNID
Yolanthe
Tentatek splattershots and rollers make me pretty salty.
Blasters as well, but that's a given as I've seen in the thread haha

NeoSeth

Senior Squid
I run Ninja Squid, which I feel like is uncommon on Dynamo but it's hugely helpful in safe approaches and runarounds.
Not to rain on your parade or anything, but I would stroooooooooooooongly recommend switching from Ninja Squid to Swim Speed Up. The mobility of Swim Speed is sooooooo useful. You can approach and retreat so much better The stealth of Ninja Squid (Cold Blooded is the superior stealth ability imo) can also be obtained just by practicing moving slowly or by using Squidtrotting:

Best of luck in future encounters!

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
Luna blaster neo and all of the gals. 1.Gals don`t require a lot of skill. Just spam splashwall and you`ll be fine 2.Oh look you`re approaching me..aand here is the kraken.. Idk just gals have forced me to play out of my comfort zone and just force me to be a neutral player...but then I crush them with my dynamo because aim is unneseccary to win.

Kowai Yume

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Kowai_Yume
anything with a splash wall, especially gals. You have a weapon that does the most damage in the game AND you can hide behind a curtain. That's BS.

Kevin304

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Kevin304
I cannot hate dynamo rollers more, their hitbox and range are just too big.E-liters are pretty annoying too since they can just destroy you if they're good enough.It is one of my mains so I don't hate it that much.

Kevin304

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Kevin304
Yes, I think you're spot on. You should usually rush down a blaster to min-range them so it is much harder to kill you. And it IS unintuitive. I always start running away before the second burst comes, but what I really want to do is close in. Hard to get away from that mindset though.
That's how I usually tend to try to counter blasters but it doesn't actually work because they can easily just swim back a bit and kill you.

HypernovaSoul

Semi-Pro Squid
Not to rain on your parade or anything, but I would stroooooooooooooongly recommend switching from Ninja Squid to Swim Speed Up. The mobility of Swim Speed is sooooooo useful. You can approach and retreat so much better The stealth of Ninja Squid (Cold Blooded is the superior stealth ability imo) can also be obtained just by practicing moving slowly or by using Squidtrotting:

Best of luck in future encounters!
That's an awesome technique, although I gave Swim Speed Up a try and it honestly didn't seem to pair well with Dynamo...mainly because although the speedy swimming is great, the Dynamo's delay in ink refill made for an awkward combination. I'd reach destinations so quickly (and in plain sight) that my ink hadn't even begun refilling, and I'd resurface for a swing only to find my tank still empty. As ironic as it may sound, swimming slower and stealthier seems of greater benefit because there's already a forced delay on Dynamo users' tank refill (thank you, Great Nerf of 2015). Regardless, I may still try experimenting with both. Squidtrotting seems pretty great, although I found it tough to rely on in less forgiving situations and non-straightaways.

However, I could see how this ability swap could be more useful on other, faster weapons. Since the brushes tend to already pair well with speed-based techniques and abilities, I could definitely see myself running Swim Speed Up successfully on my Nouveau. I may give that a try.

NeoSeth

Senior Squid
Meh. I still disagree about Ninja Squid since you can just learn to move without ripples and then have another ability, but I will agree about Dynamos being able to get away without Swim Speed Up. I'm no Dynamo master but I have played quite a bit with the weapon in Turf War and I'm actually a big fan of Quick Respawn on it. Formerly, I always hated on Quick Respawn sets because I'd rather try not to die in the first place. But with the Dynamo, being able to constantly be alive and pose such a huge threat to turf control is so useful for the team. I think it could be an extremely powerful build in Splat Zones Mahi Mahi Resort. I run Squid Nordic with Comeback and two Quick Respawn subs, a Quick Respawn shirt (Haven't rolled any good shirts yet) and Black Trainers (I think) with Quick Respawn main, 1 Ink Saver Main sub and 2 Ink Recovery Up subs. I also want to try Haunt on the build, but I'm not sure about using Haunt and Comeback at the same time since it takes away from Quick Respawn slots.

BI4AWOW

Inkling
NNID
iiwow_kuro1738
Suction bombs, Rollers ( I hate them) and that feeling when you get splatted by a splattershot jr 0.0

NeoSeth

Senior Squid
That's how I usually tend to try to counter blasters but it doesn't actually work because they can easily just swim back a bit and kill you.
Well that's the struggle. The blaster player wants to keep you at their perfect range, and you want to break that range to either escape or splat them. This is where your skill comes into play. :P

HypernovaSoul

Semi-Pro Squid
Meh. I still disagree about Ninja Squid since you can just learn to move without ripples and then have another ability, but I will agree about Dynamos being able to get away without Swim Speed Up. I'm no Dynamo master but I have played quite a bit with the weapon in Turf War and I'm actually a big fan of Quick Respawn on it. Formerly, I always hated on Quick Respawn sets because I'd rather try not to die in the first place. But with the Dynamo, being able to constantly be alive and pose such a huge threat to turf control is so useful for the team. I think it could be an extremely powerful build in Splat Zones Mahi Mahi Resort. I run Squid Nordic with Comeback and two Quick Respawn subs, a Quick Respawn shirt (Haven't rolled any good shirts yet) and Black Trainers (I think) with Quick Respawn main, 1 Ink Saver Main sub and 2 Ink Recovery Up subs. I also want to try Haunt on the build, but I'm not sure about using Haunt and Comeback at the same time since it takes away from Quick Respawn slots.
Differences in play style I suppose, though I'll keep practicing with Squidtrotting. It just seemed tough to get the hang of/rely on right off the bat. I agree Quick Respawn is hugely undervalued. I watched videos insisting it was a useless ability because you should "try not to die in the first place," but honestly....that's such an unrealistic expectation especially in frantic, splat-heavy modes like Tower Control and Rainmaker. Splats will happen, even if you're ridiculously good. It's so much more sensible to soften the blow rather than just assume it won't happen, particularly if you're using aggressive/rushdown weapons. I don't run it currently but I have in the past and it was amazing for quick comebacks.

My 3 mains are currently Ink Saver Main, Ninja Squid and Attack Up, which have worked out pretty well as of late. The ink saver is a necessity given how much both the Dynamo and Inkbrush guzzle (it has seriously worked wonders for my Dynamo swings), and I've paired it with an Ink Recovery Up sub to repel empty tanks even further. Attack Up is mostly useful for the Inkbrush splatter. Not sure if Attack Up makes much difference on Dynamo since it generally relies on 1HKOs, but following the nerf additional damage on side splatter sounded helpful. I may swap it for Quick Respawn at some point, since Dynamos tend to be heavy hitters but also large targets. One thing I will say about Swim Speed Up, a consistent usefulness was actually in recovering quickly without having to rely on super jumps.

Haunt is situationally useful, but personally I think Recon is the better ability in that category. Better to see the entire team, I think. The extra marking time is nice, but I don't find myself gazing at the GamePad much once I'm back out on the field. Comeback I've realized is useful in that it can make you much deadlier upon respawns, which can be hugely helpful if the opposing team is really closing in. Generally I try to avoid builds centered around respawns, but it depends on your strategy.

NeoSeth

Senior Squid
I believe Recon has insane potential in squads, but Haunt is what I would go for in Solo Queue every time. Haunt reveals the player to your entire team as if they had been Echolocated. This can stop a flank reeeeeeally quickly.

HypernovaSoul

Semi-Pro Squid
I believe Recon has insane potential in squads, but Haunt is what I would go for in Solo Queue every time. Haunt reveals the player to your entire team as if they had been Echolocated. This can stop a flank reeeeeeally quickly.
Oh dang really? Interesting. The ability's wording states "reveals on the map," so I assumed it just marked them on the GamePad. If it works more like a Point Sensor/Echolocator, that's definitely more useful.

NeoSeth

Senior Squid
Oh dang really? Interesting. The ability's wording states "reveals on the map," so I assumed it just marked them on the GamePad. If it works more like a Point Sensor/Echolocator, that's definitely more useful.
Yup, exactly like them. And it gets crippled by Cold Blooded just like them too, so while it is a powerful ability it does depend on how prevalent Cold Blooded is. And it directly competes with Cold Blooded for a slot, soooo... it can be tough to fit in. Definitely a cool ability, though.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Any weapon that lags. Or sub. Or special. The worst offenders of this are .96 Gals. and Krak-on Splat Rollers, but I see variety in the lagging group.

Cactus

Semi-Pro Squid
.96 Gal Deco. Splash walls + Kraken. In my opinion, it's over powered.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
Literally any charger can ruin my day. The range and OHKO, paired with sight hiding tactics like peeking or jump shotting is utterly infuriating. Maybe it's just that it's like a jumpscare on demand that gets me. That would also explain why I'm including carbon rollers in my list.

Oh well, if you can't beat them join them. Maybe I'll learn to use the standard carbon as a splat zone main.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Literally any charger can ruin my day. The range and OHKO, paired with sight hiding tactics like peeking or jump shotting is utterly infuriating. Maybe it's just that it's like a jumpscare on demand that gets me. That would also explain why I'm including carbon rollers in my list.

Oh well, if you can't beat them join them. Maybe I'll learn to use the standard carbon as a splat zone main.
Even the Bamboozlers?

They don't 1HKO. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom