• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Why Competitive Splatoon should use all Game Modes instead of one

NNID
VGguy49
I completely agree. I feel like those (even competitive players) who want to compete in a competitive tournament, but don't like mode x, or enjoy mode y, should be able to compete playing whatever they want. In a game like Splatoon where there will be multiple unique modes, each should be considered equal.]

EDIT: And I want to add, after reading the discussions on this post a little more in depth, while some modes may not be considered competitive (like I see TW being brought up a lot) due to how they function and how many modes may end up in the final game, more than just one should be considered, since a lot of people may have more skill in one mode over another. I am not saying (if lets say the final number of modes for ranked is 8) that all (8) modes should be competitive, but around 3-4, or at least 2 should be considered, as some players skills may be more equipped for a different type of mode. They could be just as competitive as each other, but still play different.

Last edited:

Cobbs

Senior Squid
NNID
CCobbs
The misled and sheeplike hate for Turf War that is based off of misinterpretation and misunderstanding is becoming toxic. The 'Tips for Beginners' thread gives new players such anti-TurfWar propaganda that doesn't make any sense. It's fine if you don't like the mode, but the hyperbole is becoming untolerable and damaging to discourse.

"You can sandbag for the entire match as long as you are prepared for a massive end push for the last 30 seconds. Don’t worry about this too much; it’s the least competitive mode in the game. Just grab an aerospray"

Really guys & gals? The hyperbole is out of hand. We've been honest about Tower Control and Splatzones, but people are really distorting Turf Wars into something they can enjoy hating. For sake of 'competitiveness', right. That's not what competition is all about. You don't go around misunderstanding game modes and assume people will either give in and agree with the incorrect status-quo, or get tired of seeing things clearly & disband.

Being told to stop bringing up other competitive games is ridiculous - if we don't want any scope and perspective when parttaking in the birth and development of your own competitive scene, then what can you accomplish? You need to know history and what's happening around you if you want to be part of a community in the larger world. You can't go in blind and close-minded. But if w want to just get our KOs on the focus points and tally them up for rank, then that's what the future lies. Be conservative or progress with a new idea, that's the choice.

Last edited:

Vyvuto

Inkster Jr.
I completely agree. I feel like those (even competitive players) who want to compete in a competitive tournament, but don't like mode x, or enjoy mode y, should be able to compete playing whatever they want. In a game like Splatoon where there will be multiple unique modes, each should be considered equal.]

EDIT: And I want to add, after reading the discussions on this post a little more in depth, while some modes may not be considered competitive (like I see TW being brought up a lot) due to how they function and how many modes may end up in the final game, more than just one should be considered, since a lot of people may have more skill in one mode over another. I am not saying (if lets say the final number of modes for ranked is 8) that all (8) modes should be competitive, but around 3-4, or at least 2 should be considered, as some players skills may be more equipped for a different type of mode. They could be just as competitive as each other, but still play different.
I always used to think that the "more modes because players might like a certain mode" argument for multiple gamemodes was stupid, but then I just realized that I probably wouldn't play competitive Splatoon if it was Turf War only (sorry Cobbs). I think that we should start off with all modes being used in competitive play, and then ban modes from tournies/leagues as they're found to be unfit for competitive play.

Power

Inkling Commander
We can't rule out turf wars completely in competitive play. We haven't even seen it pan out in organized play (yes I know some have done testing with their groups). It is still too early to rule out anything before we have more testing and experimenting. However, from what we have gathered (From those testers,) turf appears to be less skill driven than the other modes overall. Once again, we can not rule it out yet. I am avoiding taking extreme stances that some have already done as actual organized play has not even happened yet. I believe patience is key in a situation like this.

Cobbs

Senior Squid
NNID
CCobbs
Exactly. Groups playing together and deciding "Inkstrike is OP at final10s mark" is groupthink, not science. The opinions derided by such 'research' is groupthink as well. Boardgames need 100 times more playtesting than that, let alone competitive competition rules for any sport or game.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
What would make that different from Splat Zones?
At the top of the screen you can see who is in "danger" based on who has the most of the map covered. That is when the timer would start counting down. Besides, Turf War IS one massive Splat Zone. Also, I said "similar" not "exactly" like Splat Zones. Obviously the same exact timer won't work in TW but having something with the same basic idea can work.

Sitri

Full Squid
NNID
SitriStahl
At the top of the screen you can see who is in "danger" based on who has the most of the map covered. That is when the timer would start counting down. Besides, Turf War IS one massive Splat Zone. Also, I said "similar" not "exactly" like Splat Zones. Obviously the same exact timer won't work in TW but having something with the same basic idea can work.
The way your describing it just seems redundant when we already have a more-focused mode that already does the same thing.
I get that Turf War could have a timer for whoever is in the lead, but that mode's winner is meant to be a mystery until the very end, unless you're getting absolutely stomped.

What you have to keep in mind is that many people on the competitive forums are trying to see which modes make the game act most like a typical competitive shooter, rather than which brings out the best organized-play potential of Splatoon. Remember to sense where people's interests lie when they make posts.

Growth requires people willing to let a metagame develop - which means developing counterplay and further counterplay. Turf Wars is an 'open' gamemode, and that scares people because things seem broken. Just as they do in LoL and strat games like Starcraft early in their respective metas and whenever an update happens. That's the nature of sandbox competitive games.

There's comfort in turning Splatoon into a purely single-objective experience, because it's what a lot of people are comfortable with and it's also the most obvious decision to make, requiring less conceptual thought about what Splatoon 'is' on its own, rather than as part of the shooter genre.
I'm not against at least trying competitive Turf War, but I don't have a lot of faith in it being a good competitive mode. I don't think it's good to force a mode just for the sake of variety; if it doesn't work, the mode should be dropped.

NNID
VGguy49
Also I don't hate turf war, I haven't played it much since I have maxed my level out so right now I am focusing on my Ranked battle rank, but once the new update comes out and the level cap increases, I will probably play turf wars a bit more. I was just using it as an example since it seems some people don't want to use it for competitive play. I honestly wouldn't mind competitive for any game mode.

Cobbs

Senior Squid
NNID
CCobbs
It'll shine when teams continue to play the mode competitively and take it seriously, as it has the most freedom for team tactics and counterplay to develop in the metagame. Competitive games are blessed to have the ability to host a mode like this, Splatoon is very capable of being among the most interesting and engaging competitive events.

Cobbs

Senior Squid
NNID
CCobbs
The way your describing it just seems redundant when we already have a more-focused mode that already does the same thing.
I get that Turf War could have a timer for whoever is in the lead, but that mode's winner is meant to be a mystery until the very end, unless you're getting absolutely stomped.

I'm not against at least trying competitive Turf War, but I don't have a lot of faith in it being a good competitive mode. I don't think it's good to force a mode just for the sake of variety; if it doesn't work, the mode should be dropped.
It has nothing to do with variety. The ranked modes are Turf War chopped up into digestible bits that work for focusing random teams that don't have voice communication (and ranking them for their focused cooperation on one task). Turf Wars is the main course, and thinking it's 'casual' just because it doesn't seem to have the rigid structure most shooters have doesn't make it a bad mode. It, to many people, is the heart of what makes Splatoon even remotely interesting/compelling as a visionary competitive game compared to not just other shooters, but other games entirely.

Splatoon isn't even heavily aim/accuracy/dexterity based, so how people expect the 'contemporary shooters' gamemodes to be remotely interesting when compared to other shooters baffles me. The transition to letting go of a 100% TC/SZ ruleset is just going to be an awkward transition after getting used to what actually makes Splatoon compelling for seriously competitive players and audiences.

Turf War embraces and accentuates Splatoon's strengths, and lets the sandboxy strategy and freeform counterplay emerge from two coordinated teams. SZ and TC are like side modes to me which are absolutely perfect and loads of fun when playing with randoms. To me, ranked mode is an exercise on practising certain parts of Splatoon's main game (Turf Wars), such as area control (SZ) and pushing across the map (TC). It grades you, tells you how good you're doing at those specific simplified tasks. But I think the point is to take those learned strategies and take them to the grandaddy mode with no holds barred - Turf War.

Last edited:

Power

Inkling Commander
^Yes, you are right. we have to think about what people will find interesting to watch if we want the community to expand.
If we all deemed splatzones competitive but nobody liked watching that, we would not really thrive for long. (This is just a made up example)
I am not saying to submit to the will of general people. We just have to look at a way to expand the product. If turf wars is a way, than we should probably at least give it a chance.

Sitri

Full Squid
NNID
SitriStahl
It has nothing to do with variety. The ranked modes are Turf War chopped up into digestible bits that work for focusing random teams that don't have voice communication (and ranking them for their focused cooperation on one task).
I disagree with this. They're not "chopped up", rather they're just different ways to play the game and they have different goals. Sure, you could argue that Splat Zones is a more-focused version of Turf War, but Tower Control is nothing like any mode we've had so far.
To think that they wouldn't be as good for coordinated teams is absurd and no different than the people saying Turf War is inherently worse than the ranked modes.

Cobbs

Senior Squid
NNID
CCobbs
I disagree with this. They're not "chopped up", rather they're just different ways to play the game and they have different goals. Sure, you could argue that Splat Zones is a more-focused version of Turf War, but Tower Control is nothing like any mode we've had so far.
To think that they wouldn't be as good for coordinated teams is absurd and no different than the people saying Turf War is inherently worse than the ranked modes.
Tower Control emulates the aspect of Turf Wars that is about the push-and-pull of ink territory along the linear path of the map. TC narrows it down to a focusable path and point to ensure all players know where they're supposed to be at any given time, without needing voice chat. That's why ranked mode works in Splatoon, it's designed to be simple enough to work for teams of random people without voice comms. This also makes the rankings accurate enough - the tasks-at-hand are simple enough to grade. Turf War wouldn't work as well if it were graded as there are more variables and teams could do so many different things to achieve victory compared to the ranked modes.

Sitri

Full Squid
NNID
SitriStahl
Tower Control emulates the aspect of Turf Wars that is about the push-and-pull of ink territory along the linear path of the map. TC narrows it down to a focusable path and point to ensure all players know where they're supposed to be at any given time, without needing voice chat. That's why ranked mode works in Splatoon, it's designed to be simple enough to work for teams of random people without voice comms. This also makes the rankings accurate enough - the tasks-at-hand are simple enough to grade. Turf War wouldn't work as well if it were graded as there are more variables and teams could do so many different things to achieve victory compared to the ranked modes.
One could argue that TW makes for a better game with randoms, as there is no focused objective for players to fight over, and it's much more free-reigns in allowing players to do whatever they like. Individual impact is less important in the short-term, as your work can be easily painted over within seconds and outcomes can be decided within the last seconds of the game.

At the end of the day, we just don't know if coordination and teamwork are necessary for Turf War just yet, and thinking it needs any more than the ranked modes at this point is just asinine. It's also important to find out if outcomes are consistent in that mode.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
It's a suggestion not the only way they could handle it. I still stand by my point that the timer is the only hindrance of the competitive viability of TW.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
@ChaosHawk, since I feel as though you misunderstood my point: I, at no point, said that turf is not worth a shot, and I also did not say that it's completely luck based. Skill is a significant factor. But as I said in a previous post (from a few weeks ago), I feel as though the results of a Turf War game do not adequately reflect the actual skill differences between teams, and it's largely because of the set round times. Therefore, I feel as though it should not be included in competitive gametypes.

As for @Cobbs, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you just didn't notice that I rebutted your arguments. If this is the case, I'd suggest going back to the last page and reading it.

There's a lot going on. Not yet because we're focused on the last 30 seconds, but the first 2:30 is about denying the other team a great final 30 seconds. And if inkstrike really is a huge problem, it can have a range limit or something else.
But a lot of competitive games work like this, and they're actually way more exciting than on-rails objective games. People are just wanting Splatoon to fit the shape and pace of other competitive shooters. Which is understandable, just a bit limited. But I am understanding and will let Splatoon just be another competitive simple 1-objective shooter if that's what people are more excited about.

Just how like the only move that matters in chess is the final move. Or the last push is all that matters in MOBAs. Turf Wars is a sandbox gamemode, and it's going to promote that kind of open-ended emergent competitive scene. This is observable in countless competitive sports, games, and videogames.

As a commentator, I really value Smash's open-endedness, as well as other open-ended emergent competitive games (StarCraft, MOBAs, etc), and they'd be lesser experiences with 1 focused objective. Less to commentate, less to be surprised about, less to observe regarding counterplay, and so forth.

If competitive Splatoon becomes "they play the modes that emulates TF2 and normal 1-objective shooters", then the amount of competitive meat, variance, and allure is reduced the same way it would for MOBAs and Starcraft. Simplify or open up, it's our choice.

So - if all we're willing to internalize here is which modes feels most like a contemporary solo-objective shooter, then TC and Splatzones are the answer. That's the limit of the scope this discussion has here, and is therefore the main takeaway people are getting (hence low amounts of discussion). If that's what Squidboards is going to represent in the community, then maybe it won't be what Smashboards has been for the smash community - the center of 'own what makes your game unique' and 'don't stress about impressing or copying contemporary fighting games'.
There's that word again. "Emergent." Disregarding that "emergent" is both a buzz-word and not even really relevant to this context in the first place, you must not be terribly familiar with FPS games to think that they disallow you from being creative in-game. Are you expecting Zones to be ttek/ttek/96 deco/3k scope all day every day? Are you expecting nothing but set play every game? Have you forgotten that there are at least three specials in the game (zooka, wail, bomb rush) that force people to mix up their play?

I'm not sure you quite understand the point about the last few seconds. The final push in a Dota game rides entirely on how the rest of the game has gone, and the final push in Dota does not happen at exactly 30 minutes into the game, every game. The final move in chess is the one that all the other moves prior to it led up to, and you deciding to sacrifice your queen early on is going to heavily influence how the rest of your match goes. The position you are in with 30 seconds to spare is almost entirely unconnected with the position your team was in 30 seconds into the match. Sure, there may be some causality in there somewhere, but the difference is that it's not a major factor. It doesn't matter if you're 0-5 or if you're 15-0, your inkzooka will be just as effective. Absolutely, your positioning will matter, and you'd rather be in an offensive position than a defensive one, but the fact that a game can be lost immediately following a bad fight is the problem here. It's this emphasis on a single engagement that makes fluke plays a determining factor in too large a percentage of games.

As for your defense of the final 30 seconds: "denying the other team a great last 30 seconds", from my perspective as a player, means trying to get picks before the other team can build special. But knowing this, what would I do if I were on the defensive? I'd build special and turtle with throwables, Splash Walls, behind a 3K Scope, or whatever. I would get as much territory as I could safely hold and only push out when my set play is ready. If it works, we win. If it fails, we lose. Sure, we could maybe get a pickoff at 0:45 or 0:50 that gives us an extra special. But that would only happen against a team that isn't turtling themselves, because the other team will want to conserve bodies and specials for the final fight as well.

This is not just "armchair" (again, not really what that word means) theorycrafting. This is how our 4v4 Turf scrims developed over the course of the month and a half that we played them. Even now, when we aren't playing super seriously and are going for flashy plays instead of wins, the team that wins is the team that gets that last multikill. Teams would go from getting spawn camped in Mackerel to breaking out with a zooka and a bomb rush, then proceeding to win 44-42. Advancing the metagame is what the Imperious Lounge is for. I'm not sure what sort of game you're envisioning as a commentator, but as a player, as someone who is actually trying to develop the meta, I do not see turf having a competitive future. Even if it does, your argument that it's the pinnacle of competition in this game, to me, would imply that this game is completely ****ed.

What you have to keep in mind is that many people on the competitive forums are trying to see which modes make the game act most like a typical competitive shooter, rather than which brings out the best organized-play potential of Splatoon. Remember to sense where people's interests lie when they make posts.

Growth requires people willing to let a metagame develop - which means developing counterplay and further counterplay. Turf Wars is an 'open' gamemode, and that scares people because things seem broken. Just as they do in LoL and strat games like Starcraft early in their respective metas and whenever an update happens. That's the nature of sandbox competitive games.

There's comfort in turning Splatoon into a purely single-objective experience, because it's what a lot of people are comfortable with and it's also the most obvious decision to make, requiring less conceptual thought about what Splatoon 'is' on its own, rather than as part of the shooter genre.
I would appreciate it if you didn't try to speak for me. What if I were to say that you're only saying this because you would rather commentate Turf than Zones?

I am not trying to make Splatoon "like other shooters", and I'm not sure why you think I (and others who share my concerns) am. What I am doing is arguing from experience that generally, games that involve pointing guns at people and shooting are shooters, and so it has fundamental similarities to other shooters that cannot be overlooked.

Exactly. Groups playing together and deciding "Inkstrike is OP at final10s mark" is groupthink, not science. The opinions derided by such 'research' is groupthink as well. Boardgames need 100 times more playtesting than that, let alone competitive competition rules for any sport or game.
As though you deciding that turf is the ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~golden egg~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ of this game is any more scientific than a group of ~30 people playing Turf for a month and a half? Groupthink is easily accounted for and avoided. I personally tried as much as possible to make our Turf matches more strategically diverse, because I'm of the opinion that more viable game modes is always a good thing. I'm still saying that Turf is worth a try, even though I'm (evidently) not optimistic.

Splatoon is very capable of being among the most interesting and engaging competitive events.
It does, so long as it isn't smothered at birth by people with opinions.

If you were to, say, give an example of how you might sidestep the timed rounds problem, or how you might create a rule that adds a win condition to the game that is practical, fair, and competitive, then perhaps your opinion might have some weight to it.

The ranked modes are Turf War chopped up into digestible bits that work for focusing random teams that don't have voice communication (and ranking them for their focused cooperation on one task). Turf Wars is the main course, and thinking it's 'casual' just because it doesn't seem to have the rigid structure most shooters have doesn't make it a bad mode. It, to many people, is the heart of what makes Splatoon even remotely interesting/compelling as a visionary competitive game compared to not just other shooters, but other games entirely.

Splatoon isn't even heavily aim/accuracy/dexterity based, so how people expect the 'contemporary shooters' gamemodes to be remotely interesting when compared to other shooters baffles me. The transition to letting go of a 100% TC/SZ ruleset is just going to be an awkward transition after getting used to what actually makes Splatoon compelling for seriously competitive players and audiences.

Turf War embraces and accentuates Splatoon's strengths, and lets the sandboxy strategy and freeform counterplay emerge from two coordinated teams. SZ and TC are like side modes to me which are absolutely perfect and loads of fun when playing with randoms. To me, ranked mode is an exercise on practising certain parts of Splatoon's main game (Turf Wars), such as area control (SZ) and pushing across the map (TC). It grades you, tells you how good you're doing at those specific simplified tasks. But I think the point is to take those learned strategies and take them to the grandaddy mode with no holds barred - Turf War.
Addressing your second paragraph first: All shooters have an aim aspect, Splatoon included. But no shooter is about aim, any more than an RTS is about being able to click fast. Every single competitive FPS, from arena shooters to CoD to CS:GO to TF2, rewards positioning, movement, and both strategic and tactical decision-making significantly more than aim. You don't need to be able to land headshots to go into a game of CS:GO and top frag, and being able to land railgun shots 100% of the time doesn't mean you're going to stand a chance against even an average Quake player. Aim is, obviously, useful, and can be a determining factor in a game; in a heads-up play, the better aimer might win. But who cares if you'd lose heads-up if you never let the other guy fight you evenly? Perhaps you should educate yourself on FPS fundamentals before you try to make claims about what other shooters are about. You may also wish to familiarise yourself with chargers and (to a lesser degree) inkzookas, both of which require very good aim and reward the kind of dexterity and twitch reactions that you say this game doesn't have.

You seem to be forgetting the fact that Turf has timed rounds with no end condition. 3 minutes per round. What kind of creative play are you expecting here? These sorts of game modes promote set play and safety, not creativity. What does it matter if you pull off a quad kill with 1:30 to go if that still gives the other team 45 seconds to build special? Are you expecting people to pull off crazy flanks or incredible Charger plays in a game mode that cannot end simply because they do so? Are you expecting people to not run the same, safe pushing routes given that creative play is not rewarded with a game win?

Your argument might make sense if Turf had an end condition. If you could run some rushdown strat that secured 70% of the map for 20 seconds and have that actually mean something to the final result, then people would do it. Then someone would counter it. Then someone would counter the counter. That's how a metagame develops. You are missing the precondition for innovation, which is that innovation actually matters. No doubt there is some metagame development to be had, but you can be damn sure it's going to evolve into rock-paper-scissors very quickly.

But let's say we figure that out. Let's say there's some way to make an end condition work without Nintendo adding one (since, let's face it, they're not going to). What then? Well... you've just said that Turf is everything. Disregarding for now whether or not this is true, what does that mean? You seem to think it means diversity, but in reality, it means safety. Since my team needs to be able to push cross-map and defend arbitrary areas and control the map and ink turf and win skirmishes and be highly mobile, I need to pick weapons that allow our team to do that. Which basically means Ttek, 3K Scope, 96 Deco, and like 3 other weapons. I can't have a pocket Jr, because that Jr is a liability if I find myself in a defensive position. I can't run a Splat Roller, because it has no way in when I'm pushing forward as four and it doesn't have zooka, bubbler, or echo to always be useful in a skirmish. The opportunity cost of a pocket strat is far too high; why run a Jr when I could just run another 96 Deco or Ttek and be able to accomplish more with it? Compare this to Zones. The only real necessities are a way in (usually zooka) and a way to defend (usually a 3K Scope or some sort of wall kit). That leaves room for my pocket strats. I can run a Jr, because I don't need to be able to defend any position on the map, only the positions that the rest of my squad can. I can run Wail kits on Kelp Tower because I know that at some point I will need to either defend or push a narrow pathway.

But is it actually about "everything"? Let's see...

Some of what you say here is true, in the sense that, yes, the modes are designed to be playable solo. But how do these modes prepare you for Turf if the way solo ranked plays out does not even emphasise these aspects of the game? Tower rewards protracted pushes and sieging, but playing without communication makes these things impossible, so the game instead devolves into people throwing themselves at a tower for five minutes. Solo Zones rewards pointing a gun at a choke point while your zone ticks down, or alternatively, getting in on a flank with an Inkzooka and popping the enemy team. Team Zones, meanwhile, will reward positioning and co-ordinated pincer pushes.

The key point here is that the modes are always about these aspects of the game. It doesn't matter what map you play on, you need to be good at them. Sure, Arowana is a hell of a lot harder to push than Blackbelly, but those skills are still necessary. But what about Turf? Turf, far from being the ~~~~~~~~~~~golden egg~~~~~~~~~~ of diversity, is so dependent on the map that it becomes one-dimensional. Are you trying to tell me that Turf will not devolve into one team winning mid and then holding some advantageous position for the rest of the game? How is that any different from Zones, except for the fact that Zones requires that you hold this position for an extended period of time, as opposed to Turf, where you need only be the team holding it at the end of three minutes? Where's the motivation to push in Turf? Why would the defending team risk their specials early when their highest percentage play is waiting out the timer and pushing at the last moment?

As a spectator, nothing gets stale faster than the same two fights on the same ten maps with the same three specials and the same four guns. And I can guarantee that, so long as Turf is timed to 3 minutes, that's precisely what you're going to get.

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
@ChaosHawk, since I feel as though you misunderstood my point: I, at no point, said that turf is not worth a shot, and I also did not say that it's completely luck based. Skill is a significant factor. But as I said in a previous post (from a few weeks ago), I feel as though the results of a Turf War game do not adequately reflect the actual skill differences between teams, and it's largely because of the set round times. Therefore, I feel as though it should not be included in competitive gametypes.

As for @Cobbs, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you just didn't notice that I rebutted your arguments. If this is the case, I'd suggest going back to the last page and reading it.

There's that word again. "Emergent." Disregarding that "emergent" is both a buzz-word and not even really relevant to this context in the first place, you must not be terribly familiar with FPS games to think that they disallow you from being creative in-game. Are you expecting Zones to be ttek/ttek/96 deco/3k scope all day every day? Are you expecting nothing but set play every game? Have you forgotten that there are at least three specials in the game (zooka, wail, bomb rush) that force people to mix up their play?

I'm not sure you quite understand the point about the last few seconds. The final push in a Dota game rides entirely on how the rest of the game has gone, and the final push in Dota does not happen at exactly 30 minutes into the game, every game. The final move in chess is the one that all the other moves prior to it led up to, and you deciding to sacrifice your queen early on is going to heavily influence how the rest of your match goes. The position you are in with 30 seconds to spare is almost entirely unconnected with the position your team was in 30 seconds into the match. Sure, there may be some causality in there somewhere, but the difference is that it's not a major factor. It doesn't matter if you're 0-5 or if you're 15-0, your inkzooka will be just as effective. Absolutely, your positioning will matter, and you'd rather be in an offensive position than a defensive one, but the fact that a game can be lost immediately following a bad fight is the problem here. It's this emphasis on a single engagement that makes fluke plays a determining factor in too large a percentage of games.

As for your defense of the final 30 seconds: "denying the other team a great last 30 seconds", from my perspective as a player, means trying to get picks before the other team can build special. But knowing this, what would I do if I were on the defensive? I'd build special and turtle with throwables, Splash Walls, behind a 3K Scope, or whatever. I would get as much territory as I could safely hold and only push out when my set play is ready. If it works, we win. If it fails, we lose. Sure, we could maybe get a pickoff at 0:45 or 0:50 that gives us an extra special. But that would only happen against a team that isn't turtling themselves, because the other team will want to conserve bodies and specials for the final fight as well.

This is not just "armchair" (again, not really what that word means) theorycrafting. This is how our 4v4 Turf scrims developed over the course of the month and a half that we played them. Even now, when we aren't playing super seriously and are going for flashy plays instead of wins, the team that wins is the team that gets that last multikill. Teams would go from getting spawn camped in Mackerel to breaking out with a zooka and a bomb rush, then proceeding to win 44-42. Advancing the metagame is what the Imperious Lounge is for. I'm not sure what sort of game you're envisioning as a commentator, but as a player, as someone who is actually trying to develop the meta, I do not see turf having a competitive future. Even if it does, your argument that it's the pinnacle of competition in this game, to me, would imply that this game is completely ****ed.

I would appreciate it if you didn't try to speak for me. What if I were to say that you're only saying this because you would rather commentate Turf than Zones?

I am not trying to make Splatoon "like other shooters", and I'm not sure why you think I (and others who share my concerns) am. What I am doing is arguing from experience that generally, games that involve pointing guns at people and shooting are shooters, and so it has fundamental similarities to other shooters that cannot be overlooked.

As though you deciding that turf is the ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~golden egg~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ of this game is any more scientific than a group of ~30 people playing Turf for a month and a half? Groupthink is easily accounted for and avoided. I personally tried as much as possible to make our Turf matches more strategically diverse, because I'm of the opinion that more viable game modes is always a good thing. I'm still saying that Turf is worth a try, even though I'm (evidently) not optimistic.

It does, so long as it isn't smothered at birth by people with opinions.

If you were to, say, give an example of how you might sidestep the timed rounds problem, or how you might create a rule that adds a win condition to the game that is practical, fair, and competitive, then perhaps your opinion might have some weight to it.

Addressing your second paragraph first: All shooters have an aim aspect, Splatoon included. But no shooter is about aim, any more than an RTS is about being able to click fast. Every single competitive FPS, from arena shooters to CoD to CS:GO to TF2, rewards positioning, movement, and both strategic and tactical decision-making significantly more than aim. You don't need to be able to land headshots to go into a game of CS:GO and top frag, and being able to land railgun shots 100% of the time doesn't mean you're going to stand a chance against even an average Quake player. Aim is, obviously, useful, and can be a determining factor in a game; in a heads-up play, the better aimer might win. But who cares if you'd lose heads-up if you never let the other guy fight you evenly? Perhaps you should educate yourself on FPS fundamentals before you try to make claims about what other shooters are about. You may also wish to familiarise yourself with chargers and (to a lesser degree) inkzookas, both of which require very good aim and reward the kind of dexterity and twitch reactions that you say this game doesn't have.

You seem to be forgetting the fact that Turf has timed rounds with no end condition. 3 minutes per round. What kind of creative play are you expecting here? These sorts of game modes promote set play and safety, not creativity. What does it matter if you pull off a quad kill with 1:30 to go if that still gives the other team 45 seconds to build special? Are you expecting people to pull off crazy flanks or incredible Charger plays in a game mode that cannot end simply because they do so? Are you expecting people to not run the same, safe pushing routes given that creative play is not rewarded with a game win?

Your argument might make sense if Turf had an end condition. If you could run some rushdown strat that secured 70% of the map for 20 seconds and have that actually mean something to the final result, then people would do it. Then someone would counter it. Then someone would counter the counter. That's how a metagame develops. You are missing the precondition for innovation, which is that innovation actually matters. No doubt there is some metagame development to be had, but you can be damn sure it's going to evolve into rock-paper-scissors very quickly.

But let's say we figure that out. Let's say there's some way to make an end condition work without Nintendo adding one (since, let's face it, they're not going to). What then? Well... you've just said that Turf is everything. Disregarding for now whether or not this is true, what does that mean? You seem to think it means diversity, but in reality, it means safety. Since my team needs to be able to push cross-map and defend arbitrary areas and control the map and ink turf and win skirmishes and be highly mobile, I need to pick weapons that allow our team to do that. Which basically means Ttek, 3K Scope, 96 Deco, and like 3 other weapons. I can't have a pocket Jr, because that Jr is a liability if I find myself in a defensive position. I can't run a Splat Roller, because it has no way in when I'm pushing forward as four and it doesn't have zooka, bubbler, or echo to always be useful in a skirmish. The opportunity cost of a pocket strat is far too high; why run a Jr when I could just run another 96 Deco or Ttek and be able to accomplish more with it? Compare this to Zones. The only real necessities are a way in (usually zooka) and a way to defend (usually a 3K Scope or some sort of wall kit). That leaves room for my pocket strats. I can run a Jr, because I don't need to be able to defend any position on the map, only the positions that the rest of my squad can. I can run Wail kits on Kelp Tower because I know that at some point I will need to either defend or push a narrow pathway.

But is it actually about "everything"? Let's see...

Some of what you say here is true, in the sense that, yes, the modes are designed to be playable solo. But how do these modes prepare you for Turf if the way solo ranked plays out does not even emphasise these aspects of the game? Tower rewards protracted pushes and sieging, but playing without communication makes these things impossible, so the game instead devolves into people throwing themselves at a tower for five minutes. Solo Zones rewards pointing a gun at a choke point while your zone ticks down, or alternatively, getting in on a flank with an Inkzooka and popping the enemy team. Team Zones, meanwhile, will reward positioning and co-ordinated pincer pushes.

The key point here is that the modes are always about these aspects of the game. It doesn't matter what map you play on, you need to be good at them. Sure, Arowana is a hell of a lot harder to push than Blackbelly, but those skills are still necessary. But what about Turf? Turf, far from being the ~~~~~~~~~~~golden egg~~~~~~~~~~ of diversity, is so dependent on the map that it becomes one-dimensional. Are you trying to tell me that Turf will not devolve into one team winning mid and then holding some advantageous position for the rest of the game? How is that any different from Zones, except for the fact that Zones requires that you hold this position for an extended period of time, as opposed to Turf, where you need only be the team holding it at the end of three minutes? Where's the motivation to push in Turf? Why would the defending team risk their specials early when their highest percentage play is waiting out the timer and pushing at the last moment?

As a spectator, nothing gets stale faster than the same two fights on the same ten maps with the same three specials and the same four guns. And I can guarantee that, so long as Turf is timed to 3 minutes, that's precisely what you're going to get.
Another world record sized nut shell from flc. The mods should edit in four extra posts into your message count ha.

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
You know, for Turf War, we could pick maps that are a bit less likely to be a swing in the last ten seconds, like Kelp Dome over Urchin Underpass for example.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I don't see anyone saying anything like that, you're just putting words in peoples' mouths. The reason people don't want to run Turf Wars isn't because it "looks different from other shooters", it's because of a whole host of problems with it that we've already discussed. It's just not a mode many of us enjoy, for a number of reasons.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom