• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Why Did You Choose That Username?

shaian

Inkling
it's just my middle name and i use it as my username everywhere (last.fm, smogon, etc). not really a cool backstory but i like it :)

Ninwaifu

Inkling
NNID
Ninwaifu
My username was made to poke fun of smash players obsessed with the female character. Nintendo + Waifu = Ninwaifu. I just started to like it and it stuck.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
My username was taken from an Inkling OC I made that I liked. And plus, Ginger Gari is the full name of that pink stuff you eat with sushi.
And I typically replace letters with numbers if need be.

Last edited:

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
I love learning Japanese so I thought giving myself a Japanese name would be perfect. Japanese names are often based on things seen in nature, like animals, trees, hills, etc. However, I decided to name myself Ryuji, where Ryu = dragon, taken from the Chinese zodiac, where 1988 is the year of the dragon(the year I was born in), and 'ji' is part of the naming scheme commonly used in Japanese names. 'Jiro' is a suffix attached to boy's names if they were the second male born in the family, which I am. It is still acceptable to be furthered shortened to just 'ji'. I've used this name for 4 years now and it's most likely not going to change.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
I love learning Japanese so I thought giving myself a Japanese name would be perfect. Japanese names are often based on things seen in nature, like animals, trees, hills, etc. However, I decided to name myself Ryuji, where Ryu = dragon, taken from the Chinese zodiac, where 1988 is the year of the dragon(the year I was born in), and 'ji' is part of the naming scheme commonly used in Japanese names. 'Jiro' is a suffix attached to boy's names if they were the second male born in the family, which I am. It is still acceptable to be furthered shortened to just 'ji'. I've used this name for 4 years now and it's most likely not going to change.
Oh wow, I'm learning Japanese, too! Pesky Kanji… (How far are you?)
That's cool that you gave yourself a Japanese name. Perhaps I'll give myself one.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Oh wow, I'm learning Japanese, too! Pesky Kanji… (How far are you?)
That's cool that you gave yourself a Japanese name. Perhaps I'll give myself one.
Always nice to meet a fellow Japanese enthusiast :)

I haven't really studied it seriously in awhile, but I got pretty much all the kana down and I know a decent amount of kanji. They are definitely a problem, but I think that problem will go away as you get closer to fluency, so I'm not too worried about that. What I am worried about are all the suffixes/prefixes and the huge number of particles. Quite a monumental task to learn haha xD. But as far as parts of speech such as nouns, adjectives, adverbs, those will be very easy. People are often saying I shouldn't pursue Japanese because it's a hard language and the older you get the harder it is to learn. The former is subjective and the latter is a myth. You don't learn a language any slower than when you are a child. It's the exact opposite in fact.

Anyways, you sort of already do have a Japanese name haha. Gari is good btw(if you can get past the bittersweet flavour xd).

Switch Friend Code
SW-1979-9179-2672
My username on Squidboards is because I love Dragon Quest, and Metal King Slimes have always been a favourite of mine.

My NNID and common username elsewhere, Raven the Obsidian, is because I was way too edgy as a 16-year-old. Seriously, though, the 'Raven' part comes from the character in Fire Emblem 7, and the Obsidian part I just sort of thought of because it sounded cool, lol. The even older version of my username is DarkHeroRaven (which I only use on GameFAQs these days, and that's only because I can't change it), which is pretty much fully a reference to FE7's Raven.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
I've used Anaru on a lot of stuff for a few years, it just sounds nice and unique

Agimé

Inkling
One of the nicknames that my friends call me is Maggy, so once when we were talking about pig Latin and they said the pig Latin for Maggy, Agimé is the spelling I pictured in my head. It's also the name of my mii.

buttpockets

Inkling
NNID
DuniaMimpi
To match my best friends ign of "cheeks" so we're cheeks and buttpockets. Kinda like panty and stocking, in a way.

CandiBunni

Inkling
NNID
CandiBunni
I picked "Candi" because my big sister, BFF/Girlfriend, and other friends and family tell me that I'm really sweet, and candy is (usually) sweet too. "Bunni" comes from the fact that I'm super duper shy and nervous in RL, and easily stressed out. Oh, and bunnies are my favourite animal, too. I chose to replace the "y" in each with an "i" because I think it looks cleaner, and just like with my nickname (Jenni, shorthand for Jennifer), it lets me dot the "i"s with hearts~ :3

STELLAR-V™

Inkster Jr.
My username is my nickname on miiverse, which is my NNID shortened. stellarvagabond doesn't exactly fit, haha.

The trademark is because I'm lame and also because I run an RP group of sorts for kids that love octolings as much as I do, and the TM sets me apart from most players as I've seen.

Neu

Inkling
It's from my own original character, back from when i was still actively drew manga/comic in 2010.
I doubt anyone would recognize it, since it never got a chance to be popular.

Kaynil

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-0598-4137-8986
Link (from The Legend of Zelda) backwards » kniL » (added sound to the K) K'nil » Kaynil

Back the Men in Black was in the cinemas. The newspaper had a review showing "Agent Kay and agent Jay". That's how the spelling ended up as Kaynil.
In itself I wanted a TLoZ sounding mae that was unique.

Ashmia

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
She/Her
Switch Friend Code
SW-5925-5789-2185
I mashed the name Ash with the name I wish I had as a little girl: Mia. I figured it's a pretty unique name, so I could use it to name my characters in online games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom