• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Why Did You Choose That Username?

Actimela

Inkling
NNID
Actimela
My first name is Mélanie, nicknamed Mél by my friends.
A long time ago (10 years), I helped friends on a french amateur mmorpg to reach a level. To thanks me, they proclaimed on the guild's chat : it's SUPERMEL !!!
And someone reply : it's ACTIMEL !
Why Actimel ? In France, Actimel is a famous brand of a yoghourt (Actimel in France = DanActive in US), and its slogan is : Actimel, reinforce your natural defenses ! (French : Actimel, renforce tes défenses naturelles). My friends kept the nickname outside the game, so I kept it too, because it's funny and I don't have imagination to find good nickname.

actimel.jpg

aviatsvi

Inkster Jr.
NNID
boatjello
In terms of boatjello, I honestly couldn't think of anything else.

In terms of aviatsvi, I am obsessed with steampunk and aviator things, so I took aviat and then added random letters.

Bolt

Inkster Jr.
NNID
EnderBolt
Nobody else picked it yet.

In all seriousness though, I usually go by the name of EnderBolt, which was just combining Ender- (from my Minecraft days) with -Bolt (From thunderbolt). I usually try to get Bolt on a social network, but since that usually isn't available, I just got with EnderBolt. I have aquired Bolt in some other places, though, like Minecraft, and Inkipedia. I'd love to get it on websites like Youtube, Twitter, and Reddit, but all of those accounts are either inactive or owned by a company.

HashCrab

Inkling
NNID
claycrab
Hash Crab.

There's a sort of dual meaning behind the name; one is that it rhymes with "Hashtag," or the # symbol. This shows an integral part of my basic personality - obsession with social media. It's also derived from a food of Hash, as well as the drug Hash (marijuana). As for why Crab is a part of it, that's only because it's a sea creature that walks instead of swims. Really regret not making it a squid, but I'm sticking to the guns!

My NNID, ClayCrab, is from one of those sculpting materials called clay, and ended up sounding awkward when spoken aloud, which is why I'm re-branding as Hash Crab.

Posso

Senior Squid
NNID
Minty_Blaziken
Blaziken was my favourite pokemon and I was looking for an angry birds style username (an adjective followed by a noun), and thus Mecha_Blaziken was born. I also have Minty_Blaziken as my NNID and youtube name which is my main preference.

However, my main screen name is Posso but I'm unable to choose it for most things because of character limits. I got this name from a book called 'Pirate Penguins' when i was around 6 or 7, and since penguins were my favourite animal the name just stuck with me.

SurrealSquid

Semi-Pro Squid
I like the word "Surreal", though I am not really sure why- I just think it sounds nice. As for "Squid", well, I use the word "Surreal" in combination with other things related to the platform I am currently on for my usernames (in this case, SQUIDboards and Splatoon).
As for my NNID... please pay no attention to it. I know it is horrible and I don´t like it one bit. I regret choosing it, but hey, I was younger at the time (please make it so you can change your NNID Nintendo... please).

Ott

Inkster Jr.
Ott, I kid you not, is a terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE, misspelling of my name. It was so laughably bad, I decided to use it as a username.

flamestar6

Inkster Jr.
NNID
kris4490
well when i was thinking of a name i kinda just thought of flame and star and 6
but people just call me flame and i prefer it cause im so used to it

fishupie

Inkling
NNID
fishupie
I use this name for every social media I use :^)
It's also the same as my NNID, I guess it's my go-to name hahah

SaltyCal

Full Squid
NNID
Jimbo21
Switch Friend Code
SW-2497-8552-1603
I was feeling salty. So I got this username from the same place I get all of my things. The internet.

Jei-Cos

Full Squid
NNID
JeiCos
I've been in a few threads on this topic on different sites, so I'm kind of a broken record to myself at this point lol
So the "Cos" part of my name is short for "Cosplay". That's the easy one to explain..
The "Jei" part is the English translations to the Japanese characters used to spell out that part of my real name..This is pronounced like the name "Jay" (which is how you pronounce that part of my name lol). Which, if writing it in Japanese, would use the character's for both "Je" and "i". So that's how I got that part..And calling me "J" has been a thing since I was like, 5 or 6.
So it's literally just part of my name and the shortened word for "cosplay" lol

Babycowland

Semi-Pro Squid
I read some obscure comic a while back where the main character wanted to put together a baseball team so she could go to "Babycowland, the wonderful land of baby cows." As it turns out, she was mistaken about the existence of Babycowland. I'm from Wisconsin, the "dairy state," so I figured it was a good enough fit.

It does make for some pretty weird nicknames though. I've been called Cowland, Babycow, and, uh, just Baby before. Though you'd probably find that last one fitting if you ever saw me play Splatoon, haha.

NovaScienceNever

Senior Squid
In Jon Tron's review of Birdemic, he says that the scientist man's sudden global warming speech is like an episode of Nova Science Now, which I hadn't heard of before I saw the review. The name stuck in my head long enough that i decided to change it to never because I'm an edgy 16 year old, and antonyms are best things ever I guess.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I'm a nerd? Sometimes?

Normally I go by "8mphAnsible" but Nintendo is annoying. (Curse their 10 character limit and early, confusing NNID setup I can't change!! *hisssss*)

"Ansible" refers to a machine capable of faster-than-light communication. "8mph" is a reference to a character/persona from the Angry Beavers cartoon.

What it tells you about me and my online persona? Haven't the foggiest!

Princess Bubbie

Tiny lil' monster
NNID
Princess.Bubbie
My husband's nickname for me is Bubbie. I like purposely pronouncing words wrong to be funny. So instead of "buddy" I'd say "bubby". Like "Listen here , Bub-BEE". He eventually started saying it to be cute..and never stopped. o.o Then we started watching Flapjack and lost our minds when (of course) the over protective, loving character's name was Bubbie.

As far as the Princess thing goes...I wanna be a pwetty pwincess!

kickpunchr

Inkster Jr.
NNID
littlemissy1756
The name originates from the TV show Community (super funny if you're looking for something to watch).

The first time I used it was as my handle for a Divekick tournament, and I've just used it as my gaming handle ever since

IoCal

Inkling
Io and Callisto are two of the Galilean moons (the other two are Ganymede and Europa). I'm a bit nerdy and I thought it sounded cool, so I combined the two. I then shortened it to IoCal.

Last edited:

SyMag

SOLDIER 1st Class
NNID
PKThunda
SyMag is the tag I've used in competitive Smash Bros. for about two years. Before that I didn't really have a solid tag to use in tournaments, then one night when signing up for a Project M tournament with my video game club buddies at college, it came to me. It's short and sweet, and it rolls off the tongue easily, but I finally had an identity because of that night.

As to how I thought of it, well...it's a shortened version of PSI Magnet, one of Ness's special moves (Ness is my main, shocker right?).

くコ:彡 - ROXY

Senior Squid
NNID
Spamus
my name is Roxanne, but everyone calls me Roxy, so it makes sense. as for the squid thing, it looked cute

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom