• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Why you shouldn't care about your rank.

G

girigiriHERO

No, not in my experience. It seems a little woolly as to when, exactly, a DC turns a 'proper loss' into a 'cushioned loss', but pulling the plug a few seconds in most probably will prevent your team from losing points.
Nice to know, I was completely unaware of that, thanks.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
In the latest or second latest update, they made it so if you d/c in a match it reduces the point loss by an amount proportional to the amount of time into the game the player disconnected. Unfortunately, you don't get any more points than normal if you win in a 3v4.

G

girigiriHERO

In the latest or second latest update, they made it so if you d/c in a match it reduces the point loss by an amount proportional to the amount of time into the game the player disconnected. Unfortunately, you don't get any more points than normal if you win in a 3v4.
It's better than nothing. To my understanding (which was clearly wrong) it was only if the d/c happened during the opening sequence. I like that adjustment, but thankfully I don't experience many loses while playing Ranked, I can't remember the last time it happened on my team.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
That change for disconnects came in Version 2.6.0 which released on the 9th of March. I have got what it says in the notes too:
Ranked Battle point adjustments
  • During a Ranked Battle, it's possible that one of your teammates could drop out – for example, due to a communication error – causing you to continue the remainder of the match at a disadvantage. If you lose in such a situation, then the length of time you were outnumbered will be considered and the amount of rank points you lose reduced.
This was also the update when the game tried to balance the teams based on the weapons used by each player. Outside of these situations, losses occur generally when you get outplayed, probably because you aren't ready for that rank. Sometimes you are the better team, but slip up once and lose the lead and the match. I had a match on Friday when I was squadding, it was Triggerfish RM, we had the lead and it went into Extra Time. Everyone got wiped bar myself, I sniped one on the rope bridge who had a Kraken ready, then tried to snipe the RM but missed and got splatted by one below the bridge, allowing them to rush forward and take the lead. I should have hung back by the flood gates until they were on the final straight and sniped the Rainmaker, so the loss was largely my fault, but also the teammates for getting splatted rather than wait for the golden opportunity to splat the Rainmaker. At the end of the day caring about rank will only hurt your performance ingame, as seeing it go down will frustrate you and make you play worse, making you lose more points and carry on down that spiral.

ZainreFang

Pro Squid
NNID
ZainreFang
I don't play Ranked anymore because it lost 99% of its fun for me, with my only drive for playing it being to reach S+. I got my S+, and i'm not ever going to go for S+ 99 just in case you ask. Virtually impossible for someone like me.

Thunderlipps

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TaylorWiiU2013
Look, my thing is if you know your own skill, you don't need your rank to prove it and because of that I couldn't give less shts how people feel about losing their rank because of me. If you can't pick up slack for someone else's flaws, get better so you can for the next time it happens. It's players like you who'd blame your teammates for losing a match. Even if that teammate actually sucks, how much better does it make you that you don't have the ability to still pull through with your other teammates? I'm not justifying what I do either, I know it's messed up, but I just don't care, which is why I still do it. But I mean hey, it's only a game, right?

[EDIT] Next time you lose a match, say this to yourself.
What can I do better to avoid this from happening, again.

And the answer is: Have a teammate who isnt a ****tard like you.

The logic is so stupid I feel dumber reading every one of your posts

SaltyCal

Full Squid
NNID
Jimbo21
Switch Friend Code
SW-2497-8552-1603
Okay. I didn't care about my rank anyway. Should I care about my level?

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Should I care about my level?
If one quite delightful Miiverse post I came across a while back is to be believed, very much so - they complained of matches with Level 50s being unfair, because... they have really high stats, defensive and offensive. Apparently, they once got 2HKOed by a Level 50 Aerospray!

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
Yeah, the game has a hidden level up system like paper mario where you can upgrade a choice of one of your 3 stats (health, move. speed, weapon firing speed) that can be very game changing, the stat you upgrade is determined by the next thing you press after leveling up. Press the D-Pad/Direction Stick to increase health, a/b/y/x or a direction on the right Direction stick for movement speed, and L/ZL/R/ZR to increase weapon firing speed.

But actually it does matter a bit, since the higher your level (only until level 16) it makes it more likely to get more subs on ordered gear. I'm not even making that up.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Dangit @Anaru!—Knew I should have took some time during lunch to make up some fake bs before anyone else.

But really, you pretty much unlock everything by level 20. After that, there's just Octo Valley, the amiibo challenges, and a gift from Judd every 10 levels.

Sidenote: I'm a tad curious how long would it take to go through Sheldon's entire speech if you unlocked everything and reached level 20, but never went into his shop before. *presses A, presses A again and again and again and again...*

Rockenberg

CEO of Rockenberg
NNID
Rockenberg_Ltd
Yeah, the game has a hidden level up system like paper mario where you can upgrade a choice of one of your 3 stats (health, move. speed, weapon firing speed) that can be very game changing, the stat you upgrade is determined by the next thing you press after leveling up. Press the D-Pad/Direction Stick to increase health, a/b/y/x or a direction on the right Direction stick for movement speed, and L/ZL/R/ZR to increase weapon firing speed.
I really believed this... I got all excited, lol. I was gonna make an alt and everything.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
So true.

Just a question though, how did you post your gear?
Assuming you mean my signature
Press the smiley face icon at the top of the writing box and then the bottom with shows smilies, but you can switch it to categories of gear, abilities, and weapons
:head_hbd002::clothes_tes003::shoes_shi005::ability_defenseup::ability_inkresistance::ability_runspeed::splatbomb::kraken:

It's a little outdated though, for example, a few of the gears I have aren't on the list, so they are just tiny images made to look like the rest

SilverBlue-Neko

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-0694-5266-9796
I stopped playing Rank Matches a while ago after a horrible accident. I'm a lowly A players now, but can easily beat all of my S and S+ friends. The game also constantly puts me against S and S+ players for Turf Wars. There was also a time that my friend brought Splatoon to my college and he let me play for a little bit while he was in class. He was ,at the time, a level 23 C+. After I had just played maybe three rounds, the game started pairing me with S and S+ players on his account. My friend was not very happy about this. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom