• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Wich languages do you speak?

Mendax

Pro Squid
NNID
hazzahbazzah
English is the only language I'm 100% knowledgeable on, though I'm also learning some other languages.
für Vorspeisen, lerne ich Deutsch. Ego quoque linguas Latinam nuper,
.- ... .-- . .-.. .-.. .- ... -- --- .-. ... . -.-. --- -.. . -... . -.-. .- ..- ... . .-- .... -.-- -. --- - .-.-.-

that said, I'm not perfect at any of these, so I apologise to any native speakers if I lost something in translation.

Ashmia

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
She/Her
Switch Friend Code
SW-5925-5789-2185
Fluently speak English and I'm on an intermediate level in speaking/reading/writing Japanese, though I'm definitely not fluent.

InkJo

Inkling
Papiamento, Dutch, English, and because of Papiamento i can also understand spanish fairly well. Does counting to 10 in japanese count? lol

Celeste

Inkling
NNID
Celestefey
English is my first language (like most people here), but I studied German at school for 5 years, and Japanese for 4 years. I still use my Japanese quite regularly as I keep in contact with my Japanese teacher but I haven't really learned much more since I left my old school 2 years ago. But I'm gonna resume my studies with it again once I go to uni later on this year!

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
My native language is Portuguese (I'm from Brazil) but I'm also fluent in english and spanish. I can read and understand Japanese (unfortunately never did a course, but went to Tokyo with my wife last year) and Italian.

yokokazuo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
NagoyaKazuo
English is my first language, but I also know some Japanese. I had gotten interested in it since I'm half Japanese and my grandfather a
Had taught me some words when I was younger. I've been studying it for awhile and spent half a year in Japan on exchange, but I'm not quite fluent yet.
Kind of interested in a couple other languages like Korean and French, but I currently know next to nothing of the languages.

SwimShady

The REAL SwimShady
NNID
Manfers
English is my only fluent one. I've taken 2 years each of German and French, 1 year of Latin, currently learning Russian. My German never really stuck. I retained enough French that I could probably navigate Paris fairly easily if I brushed up on it first. All I gained from Latin is that now I can pronounce most Latin words on sight and I can usually tell if a word comes from a Latin root, but I certainly can't speak or write the language, though I'd love to be able to.

Tuff

Full Squid
NNID
Wolfysmash
I speak English, I can understand some Spanish, some German, and some French, and I can speak/write Japanese at a low grade level (enough to at least be able to read Japanese teammates' names lol)

dubious

Inkster Jr.
NNID
hyomin
English and French, due to going through school with both being used daily, and... an intermediate level of Japanese? It's enough to understand spoken and written text about 95% of the time, but sometimes have to look up kanji and I don't speak it very often since it's not a common language where I live (so not really comfortable having a conversation in it).

Also have a very basic understanding of Korean to at least be able to read hangul and know very basic/common words/phrases ;-;

Marigi174

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Marigi174
I speak English and am currently in the process of learning Japanese. Its hard, but I'm a fast learner so I'm making good progress with it.
English. I'm trying to learn Japanese, but I really have no idea what I'm doing with Kanji. I do know Hiragana and Katakana and most of Dakuten, it's just that Kanji!
EDIT: And then I see the first post XD Learning Japanese would be pretty cool, but I'm sure it takes at least 2 years to learn it. And I started this summer.
A good book to use if you're struggling with the kanji is a book literally called 'Read and Write Japanese Scripts' (search for the following ISBN: 978-1-444-10390-8) as, in addition to telling you what the kanji is, it derives it for you (showing the evolutionary process used to reach the current characters) and has near-pagely tests to help you get it into your head. Its definitely worth the £12.99/$16.99 that it costs to buy and it is a a good way to complement any notes you may have.

This may or may not apply to you, so appologies if it doesn't apply. If you're trying to entirely self-learn, stop what you're doing and try and find lessons of some sort in a group, as in addition to reading, learning sentence structure and learning vocab it is important that you practice talking with others and that you are writing the different parts of characters in the correct order/direction (you need to write it a certain way or the calligraphy looks wrong).

Marigi174

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Marigi174
Thanks! :) I'll definitely keep that book in mind

Do you have any suggestions for Japanese groups?
Just search on google for "japaneese lessons near me" and there are a load of sites that'll help you find them. Also a really useful website in general that can be used to practice communicating in written japanese and to find practice partners is http://www.japanesepod101.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=20

Raiden

Inkling
NNID
Raidus
My native language is german, and I'm pretty surprised of how many people are want to learn it :scared:
I can understand english very well, but I have my problems with using it myself. Added that I'm quite shy doesn't really help to improve...
I also want to learn a little bit japanese, but one step after the next.

Floating Eyeball

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Stanley618
I've taken French for 2 and a half years, and I can pronounce, read, and write it okay, but I definitely wouldn't say I'm at fluency yet.

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
My native is French because Qc, Canada... and obviousely English. I would say I'm nearly bilingual.

Je n'aime pas vraiment le français par contre...
You know... those (a/à/â, c/ç, e/é/è/ê/ë, o/ô, i/î/ï.) They are not fun to type in, (writing them on paper is fine) and they're tons of free points off when writing a text if you forget them, which is very easy to do. But it's funny to me when people type Pokémon without knowing that ''é'' is a thing.
L'anglais n'a pas ce genre de choses! Ce qui le rend plus facile à écrire.

I do not really like French though...
English does not have that sort of thing! Which makes it easier to write.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom