• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Your Opinion on Paid Online

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Bluetooth may be near essential though.

-open phone mic in a crowded place lel
-headeset needed as to not disturbe people around you
-another headset or volume turnded down on your switch

They may be more solutions, but bluetooth is what comes to mind first for solving those three issues

Booker_J

Inkling
NNID
charger479
In all honest, I was very scared when they announced it. But I have enough trust in Nintendo to not overprice the online paid service. If so I don't have enough money to really afford playing spla2n, which could be a problem for a lot of people. Hope Nintendo does the right thing and doesn't make it too expensive!

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
The Splatoon Devteam refuses to do voice chat because of all the underage b&s talking rudely about your mother and accusing you of aimhacking.

Having an integratable Friend Only Chat would be great for Squad battles tho.
Lock voice chat to 18+ users, or to parental controls settings. Very simple solution. Lacking basic functionality isn't acceptable when you have p2p online, especially with such an easily solvable problem behind it.

Wait I actually think the app thing is pretty smart of them. If you have enough money for a switch & Games then you probably have a smartphone, and making this portable thingy and not having to implement a mic into the controllers/system itself would lower production value. I really applaud them for that. Not only that but you can talk as long as you have service on your phone and it isn't limited to WiFi.
No, not everyone with a Switch will have a smartphone, and there are quite a lot of people with outdated smartphones that will not be able to use the app. There's a big difference between a $300 console, and a $400-$800 phone plus a data plan. The mic would not have to be built into the system or controllers, they could easily be sold separately like Xbox does (which also has one that comes with the console.)

For me personally, it is also extremely inconvenient to be stuck to a phone whenever I wish to use voicechat in a game, am I supposed to just hold the phone up to my face while I'm trying to play a game? Seriously, headsets are basically an objectively better option and can have a lot more high quality sound if you can get better ones.

Last edited:

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Lock voice chat to 18+ users, or to parental controls settings. Very simple solution. Lacking basic functionality isn't acceptable when you have p2p online, especially with such an easily solvable problem behind it.
Not including voice chat was a deliberate choice by the designers of Splatoon because of the general hostility between players of online games, and after playing some other MOBA games i can completely understand that sentiment. After seeing people start shrieking about how much their team blows and they're the only one keeping it afloat, I'm so happy Splatoon finally gets it and puts everyone on mute because people like these are far more common than those who actually use it for strategic purposes. It's sad how offended people can get after being stuck in one bad game, and treat playing games more like an ego grind.

It's hard to justify making voice chat optional, because by disabling it you put yourself at a disadvantage compared to the rest of your team. So you have to keep in on just so you can hear the potential useful callouts from your teammates, when you're not being screamed at. There's also the problem of the language barrier, where being not Japanese will suddenly put you at a big disadvantage because you cannot talk to them.
I think a more elaborate callout system would work much better, just give it more options than "over here" and "good job" and it's fine. Filters out the hostility and makes it easier to communicate between languages.

At the moment, it's fine as it is. Right now the voice chat feature is friends only, so that's good enough. It's easier to strategize with friends than with randos anyways.

Lyn

Premium
It's hard to justify making voice chat optional, because by disabling it you put yourself at a disadvantage compared to the rest of your team.
I'm sorry, but that logic does not hold up. Yes, and it always will. It will literally have this affect whether or not it is in the game. What that makes it hard to justify is not making it easily accessible to those who wish to use it. Hostility, as I said, is an awful excuse to not have basic functionality. You can literally not use it if you do not want to, or don't have the parental controls / age restriction to do so. It's extremely simple.

If you're going to have a call out system, fine. Overwatch's system is arguably the best way to go about it. However, replacing voice chat is an awful idea and impossible to justify in modern games. Especially when you are charging for online.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I'm sorry, but that logic does not hold up. Yes, and it always will. It will literally have this affect whether or not it is in the game. What that makes it hard to justify is not making it easily accessible to those who wish to use it. Hostility, as I said, is an awful excuse to not have basic functionality. You can literally not use it if you do not want to, or don't have the parental controls / age restriction to do so. It's extremely simple.

If you're going to have a call out system, fine. Overwatch's system is arguably the best way to go about it. However, replacing voice chat is an awful idea and impossible to justify in modern games. Especially when you are charging for online.
It's absolutely not an awful excuse, it's a deliberately omitted feature because of exactly the same reasons I've just posted. People don't want to deal with the vitriol and **** talking that comes with chat, so both voice chat and lobby chat were not put in Splatoon at all. Additionally, now people can play globally because otherwise you'd end up with people with different languages who you cannot communicate with at all.

By turning off voice chat whenever it's available means you can no longer communicate with your team and preform/receive callouts, which inherently puts you at an disadvantage to people who do have it turned on. However, if you simply omit this feature from the game, everyone shares that disadvantage and it all evens out. See where I'm coming from?
I do agree this game needs more commands using the d-pad, because at it stands the game could get more options to communicate with your team without warranting the needs of chat.

You can have your voice chat and you're going to get it, but it's only available for private matches which is fine enough. I'll agree that the monthly fees are going to be bs, but what can we do about it?

Lyn

Premium
It's absolutely not an awful excuse, it's a deliberately omitted feature because of exactly the same reasons I've just posted. People don't want to deal with the vitriol and **** talking that comes with chat, so both voice chat and lobby chat were not put in Splatoon at all.
Again, I've explained that it would be optional (like it always is) multiple times. People don't have to deal with toxic behavior. You're punishing those who wish to communicate because of a separate group that would not have to worry. It's an awful excuse.

By turning off voice chat whenever it's available means you can no longer communicate with your team and preform/receive callouts, which inherently puts you at an disadvantage to people who do have it turned on. However, if you simply omit this feature from the game, everyone shares that disadvantage and it all evens out. See where I'm coming from?
I do agree this game needs more commands using the d-pad, because at it stands the game could get more options to communicate with your team without warranting the needs of chat.
This something I've also already explained. You are already at a disadvantage regardless of whether it is built in or not because of outside programs, so adding it does nothing accept lower the amount of people who would be disadvantaged due to inability to access these things. Skype, Discord, and other are already prevalent in the original Splatoon, so if you are not using them with a party you are already disadvantaged.

You can have your voice chat and you're going to get it, but it's only available for private matches which is fine enough. I'll agree that the monthly fees are going to be bs, but what can we do about it?
Those who have the money have the power. You, the consumer, have the money. If you think it is worth paying for without the basic functionality it should (and the competitors offer), more power to you.

Personally, I won't be paying for online unless these things are present by the time it comes to actually do so.

Last edited:

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
Im not gonna lie,resisting this will be hard.

....I like splatoon. :(

I'm not surprised. I prepared myself for this moment after 2013 ;-;

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Those who have the money have the power. You, the consumer, have the money. If you think it is worth paying for without the basic functionality it should (and the competitors offer), more power to you.
> Implying that consumers have anything resembling power in our increasingly pro-business anti-consumer society
splatoon_laughing_inkilings_by_fernhw-d7m5bwo.png

Torloth

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Torloth
It's absolutely not an awful excuse, it's a deliberately omitted feature because of exactly the same reasons I've just posted. People don't want to deal with the vitriol and **** talking that comes with chat, so both voice chat and lobby chat were not put in Splatoon at all. Additionally, now people can play globally because otherwise you'd end up with people with different languages who you cannot communicate with at all.

(Chopped up the post a little.)

But that whiny foul mouthed, entitled, baby is my roommate... He yells at everything...

I tend to opted out of voice chat with strangers. Unless a game requires it (MMO'S)

To be honest when I want to voice chat when playing any console game... I use discord on my phone.
I have a higher range of supported mics and have separate volume sliders and such...
The party system on PS4 is decent but lacking in options.

I'll use voice chat with people here and my friends but I can be a little obnoxious when I play..

Giving Voice chat 18+ rating is agreeable. On PS3 I was tired of all the whining and crying from small children. "I F_____ your." I've had enough of that

I don't think charging for online will hurt Splatoon 2. But if you are making me pay for the online I expect there will be updates for a very long time. Also more "Free DLC" for multiplayer.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
The power is to 100% always with the customers and no other. That's a basic economic principle. The sole exceptions are markets that meet the condition of both providing essentials, as well as having no competitors. Like for example patented medicine, which is both vitally important and can be limited to only one company offering it.

If only one or neither of these conditions are met, and I trust that people know that an entertainment console is not of vital importance, nor is Nintendo the sole of vendor of consoles, the power lies to 100% with the customers. Principal ↔ Agent. Offer ↔ Demand. Basic economic models that should be known to everyone.
Customers purchasing products is a prvilege, not a right. What we buy is up to the customers to decide. The power lies in the right to decide what to buy and what not to buy. If customers don't agree with consumer unfriendly systems, and there is in theory always a point where no customer will agree, a company will sit on their expenses but have zero revenue, therefore cannot continue taking the same path. It's an eat or die situation. Either they adjust, or they suffer losses to the point of bankruptcy.

Companies don't have power over us. They can't force us to buy anything. They can only convince us. Whether we can be convinced is up to us. The real issue isn't that companies have any power over us, because they don't. We can only give them power by letting them convince us. The true issue is that there is no such thing as parity when it comes to customers. They strongly vary in financial resources, desires, preferences, locations, age, you name it. Millions of people, millions of views, millions of decsions, each in control of its own actions. Companies allow themselves to use methods like paid online services because they know there is a certain group of customers who will follow them regardless. They do that because customers are giving them this power. If customers refused to follow something unanimously, which is only possible in theory of course, they could not do so. The favor and control is always on our side. We can only give companies this power.

And what better example is there with customers giving companies this kind of power than the well known, and I hate using this word, "fanboy". Supporting and excusing a company's every decision without even considering and thinking about whether actions are justified or not. Those are a stable customer group that make for safe sales almost regardless of how far a company goes. Although, again, there is a limit, because even when the customer's desire is never ending, there is always an end to what they are able to spend for a product.

Long story short. The power is to 100% the customer's. The companies have none, they can only be given power. But one customer has no power over the other customer.

Reactions: Lyn

Torloth

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Torloth
The power is to 100% the customer's. The companies have none, they can only be given power. But one customer has no power over the other customer.
Corporate investors only understand one Language Money.

I work in retail and people complain all the time how expensive products are.
All you need is 75% of your consumer base to say no. And prices will be adjusted...
You want proof look at the WiiU, 3DS and PS3. Bearly anyone wanted a 3DS when it launched at $250. Now look at it, massive sales, and the last quarter if 2016 was Nintendo's best because of the 3DS.

PS3 was the same $599 price point at launch... When it dropped in price it sold way better.

peat-warrior

Banned (6 points)
Companies don't have power over us. They can't force us to buy anything. They can only convince us. Whether we can be convinced is up to us. The real issue isn't that companies have any power over us, because they don't. We can only give them power by letting them convince us.
That is a shameless lie. Companies are working with the mainstream media together to spread disinformation and to cultivate wrong needs. They work with thousands of professionals, like psychologists, to create the ultimate propaganda.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Corporate investors only understand one Language Money.

I work in retail and people complain all the time how expensive products are.
All you need is 75% of your consumer base to say no. And prices will be adjusted...
You want proof look at the WiiU, 3DS and PS3. Bearly anyone wanted a 3DS when it launched at $250. Now look at it, massive sales, and the last quarter if 2016 was Nintendo's best because of the 3DS.

PS3 was the same $599 price point at launch... When it dropped in price it sold way better.
That's not contradicting what I said. I didn't say only 100% of the customers can make the difference. I said, the power is to 100% among the customers, while the companies have none.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
That is a shameless lie. Companies are working with the mainstream media together to spread disinformation and to cultivate wrong needs. They work with thousands of professionals, like psychologists, to create the ultimate propaganda.
Does that mean you're forced to buy their product? No. That's nothing but convincing you to do so. It works in the weak-minded, not so much on others. But whether you buy it or not, that very decision, is the customer's and the customer's alone.

Torloth

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Torloth
That's not contradicting what I said. I didn't say only 100% of the customers can make the difference. I said, the power is to 100% among the customers, while the companies have none.
My apologies... Messed up my quote... I was trying to back your opinion with facts. I agree with you.
Just saying that you will always have early adopters. But they are a minority.

We might see this with the Switches online Service. Unless it's at a reasonable price point. There are probably a handful of online enabled games confirmed at the moment Splatoon 2, Arms, Mario kart 8, ultra Street Fighter 2. (Even then I'm not sure they are all confirmed online enabled.)

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
My apologies... Messed up my quote... I was trying to back your opinion with facts. I agree with you.
Just saying that you will always have early adopters. But they are a minority.

We might see this with the Switches online Service. Unless it's at a reasonable price point. There are probably a handful of online enabled games confirmed at the moment Splatoon 2, Arms, Mario kart 8, ultra Street Fighter 2. (Even then I'm not sure they are all confirmed online enabled.)
Of course they're a minority, that's just to say that in practice, Nintendo always has a solid ground to work on. God knows that ground alone wouldn't save them from falling should it come to it. You're absolutely right there. It's solid in the sense that those customers are safe customers and very hard to scare off, not that they come in a sufficient quantity to ensure a success. But it gives the power to have more room to make decisions in their own favor. A power that dispite all circumstances, comes solely from the customers. You're absolutely right there.

Seeing as how much criticism Nintendo is understandably receiving at the moment, I can imagine a change too. Their service of delivering rented outdated games is of course below all standards. We don't quite know what price they have in mind, but should this truly be all they have to offer and should they be brave enough to demand the same price for their services as their competitors, I can definitely see this backfiring and change their mind in either heavily improving their services, reducing the fees or separating paid services and online multiplayer.

Lyn

Premium
> Implying that consumers have anything resembling power in our increasingly pro-business anti-consumer society
View attachment 4704
> Ignoring my entire response and instead posting a spammy reaction image to try and counter a fact, which was not even that relevant to the rest of what I said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom