• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Your Opinion on Paid Online

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
...See folks, this is the kind of attitude I have a problem with. Not Nintendo's antics, this. Nintendo could readily bungle this, no arguing that, but saying it's a scam or anti-consumer or what have you is just blatantly ignorant, no other way to put it. Monthly fees have existed in video games since before some of you were born, if you want actual examples of anti-consumer scams in games I'll be happy to provide some.

I dunno, I'm not exactly defending Nintendo here. I'm well aware of their mistakes and problems. I tend to stand by them because, for the most part, they aren't diabolical as other companies in this business practices yet. Well, outside of the traditional corporate evil and that accursed badge bunny. But taking the extremist response well before launch becomes wearisome. Heck, reactions like this may well be why Nintendo held back on revealing the Switch for so long, there's a credible history of people accentuating the negative and over-speculating.

Nintendo needs to get better at explaining their motives and products, yes, and maybe they will someday if we could stop breaking out the torches and pitchforks every single time they do so.
So it's not a scam because... it's been done before? Well let me tell you what has been done before and is being done currently... free online! It's worked and still works, game sales cover the server cost, and they don't need subscription fees to better the online, all that is proven. The Wii U and 3DS have much improved online over the Wii and DS without a subscription, and the online play in multiplatform games on PC works as well as it does on XB1/PS4, only you don't have to pay to play. They're only doing paid online to bleed more money out of us and for no other reason. It's anti-consumer because we're being forced to pay more to play our games. It's a scam also because it isn't even based on exactly how much you play, i.e. you play only 2 hours but still have to pay for full month.

Paid online is confirmed, it's a fact, it's happening. There's no speculation or assumptions here. If you don't like my opinion of it that's fine, but I am allowed to speak them just as you are.

Egg Queen

Full Squid
Online subscriptions don't really bother me considering that it's already a (very popular) thing for the Xbox and Playstation. I would prefer not to pay but eh whatever.
Also, I don't think it'll cost that much. I mean Xbox Live and PS+ are around $20 for 3 months and $60 for a whole year. Nintendo's online subscription will most likely be around that price, if not lower so.... I don't really mind it.
Alsooo (again lol), if Nintendo is trying to compete with Sony and Microsoft (which I'm sure they are) then there will be special bonuses that come along with the subscription. I highly doubt that Nintendo is going to make us pay ~$60 a year to just play online lmao

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Online subscriptions don't really bother me considering that it's already a (very popular) thing for the Xbox and Playstation. I would prefer not to pay but eh whatever.
Also, I don't think it'll cost that much. I mean Xbox Live and PS+ are around $20 for 3 months and $60 for a whole year. Nintendo's online subscription will most likely be around that price, if not lower so.... I don't really mind it.
Alsooo (again lol), if Nintendo is trying to compete with Sony and Microsoft (which I'm sure they are) then there will be special bonuses that come along with the subscription. I highly doubt that Nintendo is going to make us pay ~$60 a year to just play online lmao
There are other perks, but they are rather lame compared to PSN and XBL. You get a random NES/SNES game for just the month, so in other words, you don't keep it after the month. (Not to mention the fact that people have easily been emulating these games for ages now.) Also, some exclusive sales/deals on games and whatnot. You also get online voice chat through an app you can download on your phone. You can read up on what you get from the online services here: http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

Last edited:

UnChosen

Inkster Jr.
But the funny thing is, that they don't need a paid service to run their servers. How is it possible, that most online PC games doesn't need an extra paid service?
Modern PC (and mobile) games with dedicated servers finance them using a lot of microtransactions. Hats, exclusive skins, maps, online gold, XP multipliers, etc. MMO add a subscription fee on top of that.

Games without the microtransactions are either based on peer to peer (ex. Torchlight), or "outsourcing" the server costs to the community (ex. Counter Strike).

Splatoon 1 online was cheap for Nintendo to run because it was based on peer to peer, which inherently has a lot of problems. People kept complaining about "crappy NIntendo servers" but the real problem is having to connect to some random guy with a low budget unstable connection.

Last edited:

ヒーロー

Inkling
NNID
Goonday1624
How does anyone if paying money would make less bad things happen to the game?! It doesn't. Why are they doing exactly? So they can really be richer than any other gaming company!? They already to enough money to make the online systems more fun and less disconnections. If it's like 60$ per a year or 5$ to 10$ a month, I'd be fine with that.

Egg Queen

Full Squid
There are other perks, but they are rather lame compared to PSN and XBL. You get a random NES/SNES game for just the month, so in other words, you don't keep it after the month. (Not to mention the fact that people have easily been emulating these games for ages now.) Also, some exclusive sales/deals on games and whatnot. You also get online voice chat through an app you can download on your phone. You can read up on what you get from the online services here: http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/
I didn't know that, thanks for the info! :^)

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
This is a topic people get really heated about apparently? Just read through the whole thread and loads of good points made on both sides of the argument.

I guess I'm just not passionate enough about the subject to take much of a stance. I'm just here to read, learn, wait and see what happens. Time will tell if its worth it.

I really don't want to be the one enabling Nintendo to continue down a path of ****ty marketing practices by buying the console and paying for the service, but they have the games that I want to play, and I don't want to stop. I don't have a PC suitable for gaming. I sold my PS4 last Fall because it was gathering dust from all the Splatoon I play. The price is right to me, console, accessories, games, and yearly/monthly fee. I can sink that cost to get the experience that I want. If others can't or aren't willing to from a moral obligation not to, it's not really my problem and I'll continue to squid around and woomy my life away. Unless time does indeed reveal that it isn't worth it.

If the fee isn't in my budget, instead of bringing the pitchforks and expressing how much Nintendo has hurt me which is un-productive and whiny to be frank, I either do not pay the fee or cut corners to find a way to afford it. I canceled my Netflix already because I stream everything from free sites. Might cancel Amazon Prime. Eat a few more instant noodles a month. Should I have to? I dunno, I guess that's the whole point of the discussion. But its not a big deal to me I guess. At least, not at this very moment, when relatively little is known about the whole deal.

Just throwing in my 0 cents. I'm not here to sway anyone or take a stance. I'm just like... saying how I feel, man

Magic8Ball

Inkling Cadet
Community Ambassador
NNID
M4g1c8Ball
This is a topic people get really heated about apparently? Just read through the whole thread and loads of good points made on both sides of the argument.

I guess I'm just not passionate enough about the subject to take much of a stance. I'm just here to read, learn, wait and see what happens. Time will tell if its worth it.

I really don't want to be the one enabling Nintendo to continue down a path of ****ty marketing practices by buying the console and paying for the service, but they have the games that I want to play, and I don't want to stop. I don't have a PC suitable for gaming. I sold my PS4 last Fall because it was gathering dust from all the Splatoon I play. The price is right to me, console, accessories, games, and yearly/monthly fee. I can sink that cost to get the experience that I want. If others can't or aren't willing to from a moral obligation not to, it's not really my problem and I'll continue to squid around and woomy my life away. Unless time does indeed reveal that it isn't worth it.

If the fee isn't in my budget, instead of bringing the pitchforks and expressing how much Nintendo has hurt me which is un-productive and whiny to be frank, I either do not pay the fee or cut corners to find a way to afford it. I canceled my Netflix already because I stream everything from free sites. Might cancel Amazon Prime. Eat a few more instant noodles a month. Should I have to? I dunno, I guess that's the whole point of the discussion. But its not a big deal to me I guess. At least, not at this very moment, when relatively little is known about the whole deal.

Just throwing in my 0 cents. I'm not here to sway anyone or take a stance. I'm just like... saying how I feel, man
Yeeeeaaaaaaahhhh, man.

Slurmp

Pro Squid
NNID
HedgehogOverlord
Random idea, but what if it's like Nintendo Network ID, where you pay a start-up fee, and nothing else?
It's unlikely but I really hope it works that way. Perhaps even making each year subsequently cheaper as a "loyalty reward".

Cyan

Inkling Commander
There are positives and negatives to every possible option. I cannot give a proper opinion until Nintendo outrightly states the cost for online. When I heard this I immediately thought of the best possible outcome for this: dedicated servers. This may not happen, but I see it being a highly probable result of a subscription based online service. Whilst this won't solve all connection issues, it'll fix a vast majority and improve others.

Peer-to-Peer always gets a lot of flak for how badly affected it is by bad internet connections and bad hosts. Mario Kart Wii (have more experience with Wii than 8, still play it online via Wiimmfi) has this issue where connections aren't resolved correctly, and issues pop up where the item roulette can no longer speed up, people teleport around the track, red shells ignore players and either go for the person ahead of the target or rectify the mistake and hit the target from the front. In Splatoon 1 we've seen (the usual) teleport lag, no shots firing from players before coming out all at once, extremely bad trades from beyond the grave, laggy bomb rushes where all the bombs come flying at once just to name a few.

Severe lag matches are usually few and far between, but we can't deny that it has a negative impact on the gameplay, making it frustrating and even costing matches when people get splatted later than they should have. How many of you have seen matches where the Tower stops, flies forward, randomly slows down or continues for an extra few points despite no-one being on there (or the other team controlling it)? I've been thrown off the Tower into water before because of it, through no fault of my own. Other instances are when I've picked up RM and swam at full speed for a good distance before the game realises I have it and gives it to me, giving me more distance for a push than I should have due to no swim penalty (exact same issue that allowed super jumps). There was even one match when I was in a squad where my team was losing, and we somehow had 2 Rainmaker carriers in Extra Time (I was one, got splatted but the match continued, as soon as I respawned the other RM got splatted which somehow got me splatted inside the spawn, my squad partner even said they saw the other person with the RM and that I never had it). It may not happen often, but it really drops the quality of gameplay and makes things more frustrating than necessary.

If we get dedicated servers, the price is right (around £20-£40 a year) and the profits go towards active development and improvement of the servers, then I am fine with this. Bearing in mind this is coming from someone finishing an electrical course and is looking for part-time work. I don't care for the NES/SNES game thing, sure it's bad compared to PS+ and Gold, but Nintendo is always bad at providing deals and incentives for their customers, so it's not unexpected or a shock. Let's wait things out until Nintendo releases full information on this, because locking on to the fact it's a subscription and complaining without the full picture is just silly. I won't defend Nintendo, but we need a clear picture before deciding if it's good enough for us.

heat_mon_MOJO

Inkling
NNID
mojomc
I really really really hope the paid online is cheap. If its less than $40/year, im all in, but any more than that... Think of the people that only got the wii u for splatoon, or people like myself that dig splatoon and not much else. It really puts me in a a tough spot, thats for sure.

HyperKirby013

Inkling
NNID
Justin
I really don't care as long as its cheap unlike the accessories for me the maximum cost is $59.99 anything above that then I got some problems

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
They need to have a built in (NOT locked to a smartphone app.) voice chat and party system, and an account tied game system rather than console. Otherwise it's a big scam, because they are not offering what competition does to justify paying for what is free on PC and mobile.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
They need to have a built in (NOT locked to a smartphone app.) voice chat and party system, and an account tied game system rather than console. Otherwise it's a big scam, because they are not offering what competition does to justify paying for what is free on PC and mobile.
The Splatoon Devteam refuses to do voice chat because of all the underage b&s talking rudely about your mother and accusing you of aimhacking.

Having an integratable Friend Only Chat would be great for Squad battles tho.

CodyMKW

Pro Squid
NNID
CodyMKW
Switch Friend Code
SW-2549-4631-6600
not a big deal the Nintendo Wii was the start of pay to play online it had some games that you needed to pay for online not many but it did have them if you can pay for those then you can pay for the Switch's online subscription

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I agree that it is dumb that the party and chat system is gonna be on your phone, but I am sure that with My Nintendo accounts, they are gonna be pushing for games tied to your account this time around.

Magic8Ball

Inkling Cadet
Community Ambassador
NNID
M4g1c8Ball
It doesn't look like this will be the case =[

Online service question starts at 1:14 (linked to start there)
Wait I actually think the app thing is pretty smart of them. If you have enough money for a switch & Games then you probably have a smartphone, and making this portable thingy and not having to implement a mic into the controllers/system itself would lower production value. I really applaud them for that. Not only that but you can talk as long as you have service on your phone and it isn't limited to WiFi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom