• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Your Opinion on Paid Online

I think this was to be expected, considering Nintendo has given free online services ever since the original DS and Wii.

Bear in mind that we don't know the exact price, or is it going to be monthly or yearly payment, just yet; we have to wait until Nintendo gives more details n the upcoming months

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
It sucks, it's a complete scam, it's anti-consumer, buuuuut the majority is probably just gonna accept it, myself included. Nothing will stop me from playing the best game ever!

Magnus0

Pro Squid
I think it's just really dumb. It's a major turn-off for people that weren't sure to buy a switch in the first place. I've seen a lot of people who won't buy the switch at all because they heard that it has paid online. Basically, it's just dumb from a marketing perspective.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
It sucks, it's a complete scam, it's anti-consumer, buuuuut the majority is probably just gonna accept it, myself included. Nothing will stop me from playing the best game ever!
...See folks, this is the kind of attitude I have a problem with. Not Nintendo's antics, this. Nintendo could readily bungle this, no arguing that, but saying it's a scam or anti-consumer or what have you is just blatantly ignorant, no other way to put it. Monthly fees have existed in video games since before some of you were born, if you want actual examples of anti-consumer scams in games I'll be happy to provide some.

I dunno, I'm not exactly defending Nintendo here. I'm well aware of their mistakes and problems. I tend to stand by them because, for the most part, they aren't diabolical as other companies in this business practices yet. Well, outside of the traditional corporate evil and that accursed badge bunny. But taking the extremist response well before launch becomes wearisome. Heck, reactions like this may well be why Nintendo held back on revealing the Switch for so long, there's a credible history of people accentuating the negative and over-speculating.

Nintendo needs to get better at explaining their motives and products, yes, and maybe they will someday if we could stop breaking out the torches and pitchforks every single time they do so.

Cactus

Semi-Pro Squid
Edit: From 2024, the servers are awful but $20 a year is super cheap.

Last edited:

Slurmp

Pro Squid
NNID
HedgehogOverlord
On the price of splatoon 2 itself, there will probably be a bundle with it and the switch close to it`s release date.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Honestly, if Nintendo gives us dedicated servers for Splatoon 2, I would happily pay money for online. Peer to peer doesn't exactly work well in shooters. But, I am not gonna hold my breath that they would go to such lengths.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'm still hoping that splatoon will be an exception for this online play pay >_<

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/
"After the free-trial period, most games will require a paid online service subscription from Nintendo in order to play online.
"most games will require a paid online service subscription"
"most"

EDIT @Chaos_Knight I think the above nintendo link should be in the first post, as it is essentially the only official details we have regarding this service as of present.

Last edited:

Beariie

Full Squid
Im glad they are starting a paid service. Its not a bad thing at all if Nintendo holds up their side of the deal. With subscription based gaming comes the perks of better service and even more content since companies will get the funding to produce more of it. Its not like the ps4 or xbox has lost many players for this type of gaming anyways.

peat-warrior

Banned (6 points)
Im glad they are starting a paid service. Its not a bad thing at all if Nintendo holds up their side of the deal. With subscription based gaming comes the perks of better service and even more content since companies will get the funding to produce more of it. Its not like the ps4 or xbox has lost many players for this type of gaming anyways.
But the funny thing is, that they don't need a paid service to run their servers. How is it possible, that most online PC games doesn't need an extra paid service?

Slurmp

Pro Squid
NNID
HedgehogOverlord
But the funny thing is, that they don't need a paid service to run their servers. How is it possible, that most online PC games doesn't need an extra paid service?
While it is not needed the funds could go toward improving those services, which would be particularly great in something like smash bros.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Peer-to-peer direct connections between users. Requires no servers, but isn't always as stable or reliable because internet connections vary wildly. The first Splatoon used this method, and people never shut up about it. Also, quality netcode is a nightmare to create, as legions of indie Steam developers can attest to.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
As long it is not Pay2Win, I see there no problem.
Scroll up for my rant about cosmetics. Also, let's not forget the criminal empire surrounding Counter-Strike and it's "harmless" weapon skins.

If Nintendo ever put a cash shop in Splatoon or any other game, I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole. There's eleven-foot poles, after all :P

peat-warrior

Banned (6 points)
Scroll up for my rant about cosmetics. Also, let's not forget the criminal empire surrounding Counter-Strike and it's "harmless" weapon skins.

If Nintendo ever put a cash shop in Splatoon or any other game, I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole. There's eleven-foot poles, after all :p
Well, I don't care about cosmetics, as long they don't take any impact on the gameplay. And when some people need a specific item and spend money just to gamble for it, it is their problem and not mine. You aren't forced to buy loot boxes, just play the game and you get what you want after a certain time. In Overwatch I have got all skins that I want and I have never invested into a lootbox.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
I highly doubt they will charge that much for it. Anything more than $60 would puzzling. I am hoping it will be cheaper than $60, since I doubt Nintendo's infrastructure will be up to par with PSN or XBL.
I doubt it too, but honestly, I think it's extremely unpredictable at this point. I mean, I personally would have never even thought that Nintendo would be brave enough and take the risk of setting the price so high and even implement paid online services despite currently recovering from the last console, which was a failure. They are now in a situation where they have to regain the trust of old customers, reach new customers and maintain current customers. Implementing systems that are widely considered to unaccommodating despite really not being in the position to do so at the moment is very surprising, especially for Nintendo.

To be fair, Nintendo consoles are mostly inferior with regard to power, even if usually more innovative than others. And with regard to success, they have a very different standard too. And their reputation isn't the best either at the moment. So them charging just as much as PSN/XBL, if not more, would seem unreasonable, but so did their every step ever since they announced the Switch, making this so incredibly hard to predict.

Last edited:

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I doubt it too, but honestly, I think it's extremely unpredictable at this point. I mean, I personally would have never even thought that Nintendo would be brave enough and take the risk of setting the price so high and even implement paid online services despite currently recovering from the last console, which was a failure. They are now in a situation where they have to regain the trust of old customers, reach new customers and maintain current customers. Implementing systems that are widely considered to unaccommodating despite really not being in the position to do so at the moment is very surprising, especially for Nintendo.

To be fair, Nintendo consoles are mostly inferior with regard to power, even if usually more innovative than others. And with regard to success, they are on a very different standard too. And their reputation isn't the best either at the moment. So them charging just as much as PSN/XBL, if not more, would seem unreasonable, but so did their every step ever since they announced the Switch, making this so incredibly hard to predict.
The price of the console doesn't really bother me, since the amount of technology that got jammed packed into the small, portable Switch makes $300 a reasonable price point. I think a lot of people are just disappointed in the pricing due to the rumors that were saying it would just be $250. The lack of a bundle is a bummer though.

As for the pricing of the online, I think the problem is that there are just not enough big-enough multiplayer games for the Switch in 2017 for customers to feel enticed to buying, and of course, previous customers of Nintendo will naturally be willing to buy into the subscription, due to Nintendo's past. What is in store for people in 2018 will be key. The free trial run from March to Fall will showcase whether or not Nintendo is serious about their online services.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
The price of the console doesn't really bother me, since the amount of technology that got jammed packed into the small, portable Switch makes $300 a reasonable price point. I think a lot of people are just disappointed in the pricing due to the rumors that were saying it would just be $250. The lack of a bundle is a bummer though.

As for the pricing of the online, I think the problem is that there are just not enough big-enough multiplayer games for the Switch in 2017 for customers to feel enticed to buying, and of course, previous customers of Nintendo will naturally be willing to buy into the subscription, due to Nintendo's past. What is in store for people in 2018 will be key. The free trial run from March to Fall will showcase whether or not Nintendo is serious about their online services.
It's not really about bothering, but you have to consider that this price is far too close to that of the competitors who currently are in a much better position to demand prices like these and still offer more powerful hardware. It's especially critical as Nintendo doesn't even offer a game to their bundle, as well as pressures the customer to buy accessories due to limited hardware, like the Joy-Cons, that cannot be played and charged at the same time unless you buy a separate premium version. That's definitely brave.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Peer-to-peer direct connections between users. Requires no servers, but isn't always as stable or reliable because internet connections vary wildly. The first Splatoon used this method, and people never shut up about it. Also, quality netcode is a nightmare to create, as legions of indie Steam developers can attest to.
The servers still need to gather 8 players and arrange matchmaking, so it's not entirely done through p2p. Once the players have been assembled the match is entirely handled through p2p using a host, meaning that most of the work is done by the connection of the players themselves. There's also more complex stuff like Splatfest and the rotation system, so yeah Splatoon does it both p2p and server-side as most games with online connectivity do.
I don't think server-side hosting will do wonders here, sure some problems will end up fixed (if the host d/c's or lags then everyone else gets the same thing) but there's only so much you can do with that one guy who uses dial-up. And that is of course, assuming they're going to use server-side at all and not just stick to what they have now and just make you pay upfront for it.

I still think the pass is an utter rip-off in it's current state. The online pass only gives you one (S)NES rental that lasts a month(You'd likely have it beaten before the deadline, why not give them it and be done with it?), and the only online titles popping up for the Switch are Splatoon 2 and a retouched version of MK8. It's so not worth it at this state.

Also, they are going to ditch Miiverse for the Switch so you know you'd really get your money out of that online pass. The more i start to think about it the more infuriatingly stupid this all sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom