• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Goodbye Old Meta (Patch 2.7.0 is Insane!)

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
@Award, with the scope chargers they're referring to the new restrictions. Doubtful that it'll greatly wound scoped chargers, but my technique involves not holding a full charge once reached.

Still haven't found my groove with the E-liters, but the added difficulty from the update encourages me to take them on the dance floor once more.

In time, maybe we'll discover other ways of utilizing e-liters beyond sitting on a porch perch screaming at the other kids to get off your turf. Yet I'm guessing the added hindrances on splat chargers & e-liters is to keep them from undermining squiffers and bamboozlers. Something I've watched most players do with multiple damage ups then using them to fight at both long range and midfield.

Last edited:

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
Do you think the Dual Squelchers will still have a place in the metagame?

I'm kind of worried that they will get outclassed by the Splattershot Pros and Jet Squelchers after the update.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I think that's why it could possibly make the Custom Jet Squelcher more viable;
You mean vanilla JS? I don't see how a massive nerf makes the CJS better rather than worse. The Burst Bomb nerf was mainly to hit E-Liters (and maybe Carbons), the CJS is just collateral damage unfortunately.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Was playing some matches with the CJS a while ago and i seriously need to get used to the new burst bombs. I kept chucking three at a time with the mentality that in less than a week i can't do that anymore (of course i didn't do just that the entire match). Mostly threw so much when i was stuck in their ink and trying to escape or softing someone up to finish off with the jet (also the jet is really good in ancho-v, went 15-5 and 16-2 after each other). I've gotta learn to restrict my burst bomb use to 1and 2. definitely not using sub saver, 'cause i've already got a great set. will also need to apply this to the neo splash, which is another one of my mains. But the buff they got is just great. More range for splash, slightly faster TTK and better accuracy (i just wanted a slighlty faster TTK, but more is always better :D). I didn't even think the jet needed the buff. I thought the slow strafe was a fine weakness for it's amazing range, but man this is greatly appreciated. And the pro. Faster TTK means i can be super aggresive with this beauty. and more range (like wtf). The Jet strafe being improved is something i never thought of buffing , but jeez, this is officially my favorite patch. I was fine with the strafe since i found it to be a reasonable trade off for it's amazing range.

@CM2 brings up a good point. My best bud from thick and thin and didn't get any major buffs. The vanilla got indirectly nerfed because of the echo nerf, but both got buffed because of more special saved upon being splatted. But with the buff the .96, Pro and Jet got, i'm afraid it won't be rally relevant anymore :(. I'm still gonna use it a lot, no question about it, but still.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Here's my two cents, but it might change once I actually test stuff out.
  • The special thing seems mostly fair, although there are a few oddities (why is Splatterscope in high special loss while Splat Charger isn't? I almost never see Tri Sloshers and L-3 D's, they are good, but I don't think they needed nerfs because so few people use them).
  • Swim speed reduction makes sense logically, although it will be pretty annoying on the Dynamo considering how mobile it is. Does Hydra really need a nerf?
  • They buffed the N-Zap and Splash again? IMO, the Jr and the Splooshes are the miniguns that need buffs, but I am not complaining.
  • 52 damage for the .96 gal seems kind of overkill for me, the .52 gal does about the same damage, and defence up stacking will go up even more. At least the .96 vanilla does get a special saver buff and more accuracy.
  • I welcome our new Jet Squelcher overlords.
  • I like the charger changes, it makes Damage Up stacking less "always partial charge" and more "do what is better in the context". The buffs make it worth it to me.
  • Oh god, this is scary. First of all, 20% fire rate is great, but the extra time hit players suffer reduced movement (tbh, I didn't even know this existed). Kinda sad they did nothing to the Sloshing machine.
  • 3 shot hydra sounds fun, although it will lead to more defence up/damage up stacking.
  • Burst bombs seem confusing. It says 20% less min damage range, but 14% more max damage range, so I have no idea about the total radius. With much higher ink consumption but higher "power", it likely will be better to be used alongside the main weapon rather than spamming them, throwing a bomb does solid damage and spreads a puddle of ink around the target, leaving them open to attack.
  • The mine and seeker buffs are good, give a solid boost without being overpowering. They were the two subs that needed a buff the most.
  • A faster inkstrike is good, helps with using them in RM and TC.
  • I am kinda neutral on the tracking changes. Despite Echo being my favorite special, I think the adjustments might be a plus: Cold blooded reduces half the amount of time it used to, and nine seconds may not be as worrying to short ranged weapons. By this logic, I think less people will use Cold Blooded/Haunt, and Echolocator will end up being more consistent.
Overall satisfied, though I have a few qualms. Kind of curious why they did not add anything about the sheldon's picks weapons in the Special Saver list, is it just to avoid spoilers or do they want to lump them all into the 40% section.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Not really. It still has more range and kraken, so this nerf won't change things all that much. Only thing it's really gonna change is .96 gal users using as much damage up as the .52 gal now. It's still basically the same weapon as before.
That's exactly what I'm saying - you're reaffirming my point. The only thing that separates the two is the range and the special, nothing else. The .52 still has the better fire rate however, so I can definitely foresee a reduction in use for the .96.

Cake or Death

Full Squid
NNID
McProle
You mean vanilla JS? I don't see how a massive nerf makes the CJS better rather than worse. The Burst Bomb nerf was mainly to hit E-Liters (and maybe Carbons), the CJS is just collateral damage unfortunately.
Yeah sorry, that's a typo. I meant the vanilla Jet Squelcher haha.

Floating Eyeball

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Stanley618
I'll have to try out the :wst_shot_blaze01: soon, I've already heard it's great, and two parts of its kit are getting boosts! The Ink Mine buff will let you get to be a bit more free with placing them, so you could get protection while launching the Inkstrike. (place a mine below you before launching Inkstrike. This works already, but now you don't have to wait for to blow up before planting a new one) It'd be like a Splash Wall, but a bit better, because it would protect you on all sides without needing a wall behind you.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
More range for splash, slightly faster TTK and better accuracy (i just wanted a slighlty faster TTK, but more is always better :D). I didn't even think the jet needed the buff. I thought the slow strafe was a fine weakness for it's amazing range, but man this is greatly appreciated. And the pro. Faster TTK means i can be super aggresive with this beauty. and more range (like wtf). The Jet strafe being improved is something i never thought of buffing , but jeez, this is officially my favorite patch. I was fine with the strafe since i found it to be a reasonable trade off for it's amazing range.
Are we sure that's what "Initial velocity of shots increased" means, a faster ttk? I honestly have no idea what that means, but I highly doubt it's that as these weapons already kill fast and a firerate buff on top of a range increase for them is just way too much.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Reading through the log, I keep alternately wanting to marry whoever made the decisions and wanting to throw them off a skyscraper. But... more more the former. My darling bucket! Wednesday is going to herald a new era. Although I hope I'm not misinterpreting the buff - does reduced time to fire literally mean that you'll get 5 shots off in the time you'd formerly get 4? Or does it only affect the initial scoop? I guess that doesn't seem likely, as there's no difference between starting time and semi-automatic speed, as far as I've ever noticed.

Oh, and this is before even considering the Sheldon's Pick Slosher. We'll have to see if that'll be meaningful for some modes.

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
I feel like we're going to be seeing a LOT more Jet Squelchers now. I agree that they could use a buff, but I feel like a 30%-ish increase would have been more fitting than a 50% one. Eh, we'll see Wednesday.

I also felt like Sloshers were already good enough...but that's fine.

Really I was just hoping for an Inkbrush buff. I'm happy for the Inkstrike buff though, that'll help it out some. And better yet, the Permanent Inkbrush has a really good kit so I'll probably be using that over vanilla anyway.

Award

@Award, with the scope chargers they're referring to the new restrictions. Doubtful that it'll greatly wound scoped chargers, but my technique involves not holding a full charge once reached.

Still haven't found my groove with the E-liters, but the added difficulty from the update encourages me to take them on the dance floor once more.

In time, maybe we'll discover other ways of utilizing e-liters beyond sitting on a porch perch screaming at the other kids to get off your turf. Yet I'm guessing the added hindrances on splat chargers & e-liters is to keep them from undermining squiffers and bamboozlers. Something I've watched most players do with multiple damage ups then using them to fight at both long range and midfield.
That's just it though. The nerf generally means you HAVE to hold a full charge once reached because you can't really shoot with a partial charge.

And the only way eliters are practical ranked is to be able to play mid AND long range as you describe. Good eliters before were NOT perch snipers. Now with the chanes eliters are going to HAVE to be perch snipers....which generally makes them useless especially in the new ranked meta which is buffing the long-mid-range out the wazoo. This feels like they're making a "Splatoon is for midrange guns ONLY" chane to the meta. Which will ultimately make it a boring shooter if the close and long options vanish more than the ttk/gal meta already dictated.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Reading through the log, I keep alternately wanting to marry whoever made the decisions and wanting to throw them off a skyscraper. But... more more the former. My darling bucket! Wednesday is going to herald a new era. Although I hope I'm not misinterpreting the buff - does reduced time to fire literally mean that you'll get 5 shots off in the time you'd formerly get 4? Or does it only affect the initial scoop? I guess that doesn't seem likely, as there's no difference between starting time and semi-automatic speed, as far as I've ever noticed.

Oh, and this is before even considering the Sheldon's Pick Slosher. We'll have to see if that'll be meaningful for some modes.
Yep it means exactly what it says! We'll have to start pressing the ZR button a bit faster from now on!

I feel like we're going to be seeing a LOT more Jet Squelchers now. I agree that they could use a buff, but I feel like a 30%-ish increase would have been more fitting than a 50% one. Eh, we'll see Wednesday.

I also felt like Sloshers were already good enough...but that's fine.

Really I was just hoping for an Inkbrush buff. I'm happy for the Inkstrike buff though, that'll help it out some. And better yet, the Permanent Inkbrush has a really good kit so I'll probably be using that over vanilla anyway.
Honestly I don't feel that's gonna change really anything at all with the Jet Squelcher. Sure you move about as fast as a .52 Gal now, but with it's long ttk and slow n linear inkspread close engagements are still something you'd rather avoid no matter how fast you are, well unless you're Sanic speed. :L

Slosher had to be buffed cause of the Burst Bomb nerf.

Really the main buff the Inkbrush needed was an actually good kit, which it now has! Kinda wish it was more different from the Octobrush's but we can not complain at this point!

Ansible

Community Ambassador
That's just it though. The nerf generally means you HAVE to hold a full charge once reached because you can't really shoot with a partial charge.

And the only way eliters are practical ranked is to be able to play mid AND long range as you describe. Good eliters before were NOT perch snipers. Now with the chanes eliters are going to HAVE to be perch snipers....which generally makes them useless especially in the new ranked meta which is buffing the long-mid-range out the wazoo. This feels like they're making a "Splatoon is for midrange guns ONLY" chane to the meta. Which will ultimately make it a boring shooter if the close and long options vanish more than the ttk/gal meta already dictated.
Sorry, what I mean is that when using a scope, the moment I reach a full charge is the moment I release it. Hardly any delay. My process is: charge, full, release instead of: charge, full, hold, release.

That eliters became good at both mid and long range is due to player ingenuity. It was intended for long range use and instead overlapped the positions of other chargers. And the patch is attempting to reset back to their original intent. With time and ingenuity the new constraints can become less a shackle and more a platform for new or overlooked styles of play. E-liters may become merely perch snipers for a spell but we'll eventually find or create added options.

We just have to wait then play to make that happen.

Last edited:

Shun_one

Pro Squid
NNID
not_shun_one
Ctrl+f = H-3 Nozzlenose
No results

Ah well. Always next time. I'll have to spend some time relearning Chargers. I'm glad I was experimenting with non-Damage Up Builds, as now it seems using a Max Charge is much more important now.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
if you want to play a mid-range sniper after the update, i'd recommend playing the mid-range snipers~~

excited to see splattershot pros actually used. they're such a cool-looking weapon and it's sad we don't have more supersoakers online </3

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Are we sure that's what "Initial velocity of shots increased" means, a faster ttk? I honestly have no idea what that means, but I highly doubt it's that as these weapons already kill fast and a firerate buff on top of a range increase for them is just way too much.
Since nearly all weapons in Splatoon are projectile-based, if the projectiles move faster they will hit their mark faster. That said, the overall tts (or ttk if you prefer) shouldn't change too much since the weapon still shoots at the same speed; if anything you save a couple of frames. However, it does make hitting moving targets at a distance easier

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Since nearly all weapons in Splatoon are projectile-based, if the projectiles move faster they will hit their mark faster. That said, the overall tts (or ttk if you prefer) shouldn't change too much since the weapon still shoots at the same speed; if anything you save a couple of frames. However, it does make hitting moving targets at a distance easier
Ah okay, thanks for explaining! That's a perfectly fair adjustment then.

Award

Sorry, what I mean is that when using a scope, the moment I reach a full charge is the moment I release it. Hardly any delay. My process is: charge, full, release instead of: charge, full, hold, release.

That eliters became good at both mid and long range is due to player ingenuity. It was intended for long range use and instead overlapped the positions of other chargers. And the patch is attempting to reset back to their original intent. With time and ingenuity the new constraints can become less a shackle and more a platform for new or overlooked styles of play. E-liters may become merely perch snipers for a spell but we'll eventually find or create added options.

We just have to wait then play to make that happen.
That's kind of my point, that's the way you HAVE to use a scope normally, but you won't be able to effectively do that anymore if you have to wait for a FULL full charge all the time instead of dmg up shortening it. Between lag and players moving so fast it's hard enough to get the shot in. Unfortunately it's a nerf that sort of disproportionately affects lower ranks and higher ranks differently. In lower ranks players move in straight lines and are easy to hit - that caused half the salt against chargers. In high ranks, players are rapidly everywhere it it often takes many missed shots to actually hit them which is where the importance of all the dmg up came in. But it was abused to the point of making eliters still too powerful mostly by the obsessive scummers. Their "fix" instead of fixing the dmg up stacking was to make eliter forced to be a perch sniper - 3 hits from long range and nothing more.

I see what you're saying about the intent of eliter but the problem is there's a LOT of things in this game that exist because of player ingenuity that aren't how they were intended. The result of which is that playing "perch sniper" the way eliter was design is not in any way a viable way to play the game outside, at least predetermined strategies with clans. I fear they put blinders on about how the game "should" be operating instead of how it is operating, and effectively eliminated a whole weapon variety from viable competitive play based on how they imagine the game must be played rather than how it is. Eliters were generally a feared weapon, but I'm afraid now they'll be a "ohh geeze, we got stuck with an eliter, great" type of affair. The player that can't and won't help push. Even HYDRA can push now and eliter can't.

Granted eliter users can much more easily go with splat charger now especially with the range buff.... Heck even > 6% charge speed might have made up for it. But right now they've killed the main play method of eliter. 20% is a massive handicap for a weapon that still is so slow to charge. Like the over-nerfed rollers it was a knee-jerk to whining.

lJunketsul

Inkling
NNID
GeraltDeRivia77
Oh no,again my Dynamos babys is nerfed...but ok,those nerfs is not too hard to deal than the first nerf lol.

One swim speed up main the swim speed nerf is solved.

75% less special gauge depend of situation....this nerf hurt kamikaze Dynamos a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom