Making a hypothetical balance patch and screwing with some kits

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
I just remembered a change someone suggested, where instead of screen adding more sound, it just removes sound entirely. Although I think leaving the music but still muted (it mutes sound currently, right?) would be better.

This would fix at least some of the accessibility issues and also make it function better as an information-denying tool

Terret

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-5277-2851-4605
I just remembered a change someone suggested, where instead of screen adding more sound, it just removes sound entirely. Although I think leaving the music but still muted (it mutes sound currently, right?) would be better.

This would fix at least some of the accessibility issues and also make it function better as an information-denying tool
I need to figure out how to mess with the audio like that (modifying the bgm under screen effect I mean). Changing the sound itself is definitely possible though so I’ll look into it

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
I don't remember seeing this anywhere but based on experience I'm pretty sure that screen already mutes the background music. So this wouldn't actually need changed at all.

Terret

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-5277-2851-4605
I don't remember seeing this anywhere but based on experience I'm pretty sure that screen already mutes the background music. So this wouldn't actually need changed at all.
Nice, makes my life easier then

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
I think it would make more sense to still carry over some damage, otherwise you could just walk through a splat bomb unharmed which is kind of stupid.
This is where I disagree, I do think Spawn Armor should fully tank heavy damage like bomb directs, but I would be fine with a damage cap making things do, say, 60 carryover damage maximum.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
Here's another idea I had for the Clash Blaster; not necessarily making it better, but making it healthier. Make its direct damage 75, but make it so its splash damage falls off to as low a 22.5 at the very edge of its radius. This makes clash a five-shot splat unless it's actually aiming in a player's general direction, but also lets it splat with a singe direct and indirect.

I'm honestly surprised that no blaster has toyed with the idea of splash damage falling off to the point of requiring an extra shot to splat, it would allow for some interesting dynamics. Actually, we don’t we also do this to S-BLAST’s shots? Increase the size of the long range AoE but make it do 40 damage around the edges. It just makes sense.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
Here's another idea I had for the Clash Blaster; not necessarily making it better, but making it healthier. Make its direct damage 75, but make it so its splash damage falls off to as low a 22.5 at the very edge of its radius. This makes clash a five-shot splat unless it's actually aiming in a player's general direction, but also lets it splat with a singe direct and indirect.

I'm honestly surprised that no blaster has toyed with the idea of splash damage falling off to the point of requiring an extra shot to splat, it would allow for some interesting dynamics. Actually, we don’t we also do this to S-BLAST’s shots? Increase the size of the long range AoE but make it do 40 damage around the edges. It just makes sense.
Yes to both of these. This is an amazing idea.

Clash directs are surprisingly hard to hit (the large blast radius makes it seem like shots go further than they do), so players should be rewarded for hitting them. However this would definitely be a nerf compared to its current state (in riibalanced). This would take the direct + indirect combo back away and also make it a 5 shot. So it would be significantly worse, and it's already not great in competitive, although I do agree that it would make it healthier.

Because its 4-shot radius would be significantly smaller, it should get its old max radius back. It also deserves some other buffs. I'd say it should get a better kit that covers its weaknesses, but the vanilla kit does that pretty perfectly. The neo kit should get rain, which would be really cool on it for obvious reasons, and torpedo would synergize really well with it as well. But the vanilla kit is already great and it's still weak, so it should get more buffs than even this. But I'm not sure what to give it, maybe a paint buff? Painting seems like a kind of unnecessary weakness for clash. It already has terrible range and damage. We can't really change its painting range but maybe make the circle a little bigger? idk

I don't think there's as much to say about s-blast (although I think it should do 35 at the edge), this would make the long range indirects feel weak without making them feel like they don't exist at all. Also a great change.

Terret

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-5277-2851-4605

I think there might be a reason why the blast damage fall off never resulted to needing another shot. That said, Clash is a really interesting idea so I’ll look into it.
S’Blast I hard disagree with. I feel like a radius increase that takes away not only part of the identity for the weapon if done too much, but the damage decrease of the long range radius also causes issues with the fact that suddenly that long range mode really doesn’t do much init of itself besides an unreliable direct, which it is in base game. I want the long range mode to still feel hard to hit but make it rewarding if you do happen to hit it at all which is why I did a damage BUFF for it

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
I think there might be a reason why the blast damage fall off never resulted to needing another shot. That said, Clash is a really interesting idea so I’ll look into it.
It's the first idea that I've heard that makes the extremely large radius less annoying without taking away from the weapon's identity.

Now that I think about it, a paint buff would probably make it more annoying actually, because it would trap players better. I'm not sure if this is a good thing. The damage change isn't as much of a nerf as I thought at first, because the direct indirect combo is still possible with the 25 damage radius, and I think that's a good way to go about it. But it's still a nerf, and a paint buff might not be the best idea, so idk what else to give it.

S’Blast I hard disagree with. I feel like a radius increase that takes away not only part of the identity for the weapon if done too much, but the damage decrease of the long range radius also causes issues with the fact that suddenly that long range mode really doesn’t do much init of itself besides an unreliable direct, which it is in base game. I want the long range mode to still feel hard to hit but make it rewarding if you do happen to hit it at all which is why I did a damage BUFF for it
This is a buff. The blast radius would get larger, but the newly added bit would do less damage. The part of the radius that was already there will still do 50 damage, so it will never do less damage than it would have before. If after the change, it does less than 50 damage, that means it wouldn't have done any damage before the change.

I don't know how you implemented your original radius buff, so I'll assume you didn't change the 70 damage radius. If this is wrong correct me. Here's what the numbers currently are and what I think they should be.

blast radius (units) / damage
Max damage50 damage*Min damage
splatoon 7.11.0 / 70.01.8 / 50.01.8 / 50.0
riibalanced 2.11.0 / 70.02.0 / 50.02.0 / 50.0
my suggestion1.0 / 70.01.8 / 50.02.2 / 40.0
alternative suggestion1.2 / 70.01.8 / 50.02.25 / 35.0
*not a parameter, this is calculated from the other values

Terret

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-5277-2851-4605
It's the first idea that I've heard that makes the extremely large radius less annoying without taking away from the weapon's identity.

Now that I think about it, a paint buff would probably make it more annoying actually, because it would trap players better. I'm not sure if this is a good thing. The damage change isn't as much of a nerf as I thought at first, because the direct indirect combo is still possible with the 25 damage radius, and I think that's a good way to go about it. But it's still a nerf, and a paint buff might not be the best idea, so idk what else to give it.
I wouldn’t buff the amount from the blast paint but the paint trail should be fine to buff and I think would be a good way to give more paint and mobility

This is a buff. The blast radius would get larger, but the newly added bit would do less damage. The part of the radius that was already there will still do 50 damage, so it will never do less damage than it would have before. If after the change, it does less than 50 damage, that means it wouldn't have done any damage before the change.

I don't know how you implemented your original radius buff, so I'll assume you didn't change the 70 damage radius. If this is wrong correct me. Here's what the numbers currently are and what I think they should be.

splatoon 7.11.0 / 70.01.8 / 50.01.8 / 50.0
riibalanced 2.11.0 / 70.02.0 / 50.02.0 / 50.0
my suggestion1.0 / 70.01.8 / 50.02.2 / 40.0
alternative suggestion1.2 / 70.01.8 / 50.02.25 / 35.0
*not a parameter, this is calculated from the other values
I increased it to 80/60 because I genuinely thought it deserved it for how hard the long range is to hit. When it had 2.2 radius it was a bit crazy though so I decreased it to 2.0 rather than decrease the damage to make it hard but still worth it. I can maybe figure out a way to change how the drop off scales to make it not uniform but I still really don’t like the idea of having it be one shot more for a weapon that frankly struggles miserably to get that indirect anyway, even with the radius increase. It may seem like it’s not a big deal but with how unreliable most blasters are, it’s a huge deal not knowing whether you’re getting a two shot or three shot for a weapon that slow

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
I increased it to 80/60 because I genuinely thought it deserved it for how hard the long range is to hit. When it had 2.2 radius it was a bit crazy though so I decreased it to 2.0 rather than decrease the damage to make it hard but still worth it. I can maybe figure out a way to change how the drop off scales to make it not uniform but I still really don’t like the idea of having it be one shot more for a weapon that frankly struggles miserably to get that indirect anyway, even with the radius increase. It may seem like it’s not a big deal but with how unreliable most blasters are, it’s a huge deal not knowing whether you’re getting a two shot or three shot for a weapon that slow
I thought you removed the damage buff, apparently I made that up.
Also, I had a realization or two while i was writing this, so here's what I wrote, and I'll argue with my past self later in the post.

The long range indirect shouldn't be hard but worth it; that's what the direct is for. Weak long range aoe is a very intentional weakness of the weapon. The issue right now is that it doesn't feel like it does anything at all for the most part. It should be buffed into a state where it feels useful, so that there are situations where long range aoe is the preferred choice, but not in a way that makes it rewarding to do so, especially not more than range blaster.

Giving the blast extra radius that does less damage would give it a bunch of extra utility. It would be great for finishing people off, and it would let it poke around corners a little bit.. It wouldn't be the best at those things However, I do agree that the 50 damage radius should get a slight increase, because it's next to impossible to hit right now, so 2.0 is probably fine for that. I also think buffing the 70 damage radius would be helpful, as it would make the burst combos more consistent, and it would make two indirects more consistent if one of them is close. It also would make its paint not quite so abysmal for being 210p.

You could also think of it this way. It already has a worse clash/luna blaster indirect and worse range blaster direct, so i'm giving it a worse rapid blaster indirect as well.

7.11.0 / 70.01.8 / 50.01.8 / 50.0
suggestion1.4 / 70.02.0 / 50.02.3 / 40.0

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While writing this out, I remembered about this video, so I rewatched it. And it lined up with my personal experience, which is that the weapon isn't very consistent because it can't get much value if it isn't hitting directs, due to the very small long range explosion. The inconsistency of the combos isn't something I thought about, but after watching the video I definitely remember being frustrated not being able to finish off kills.

After looking at your change and thinking about it, I couldn't really find any problems with it. Rewading a good indirect is good, and 80 damage fixes a lot of the combo consistency issues. But I didn't see any problems with mine either; a larger but weaker blast would give it a way to poke around corners and it would also fix a lot of consistency issues. So I concluded that these were two valid approaches to balancing the weapon. And I tried to think about their advantages and disadvantages and I couldn't decide between them. But then I realized: why not do both?

I present:
1.0 / 80.02.0 / 50.02.4 / 38.0
Screenshot 2024-04-04 4.03.37 PM.png

Black is Splatoon 3 7.1, red is Riibalanced 2.1, green is my idea from the first half of this post, and orange is the idea I'm proposing right now. The graph should hopefully help show how it combines the good parts from the red and green curves.
It could also end at 2.5/35.0 if you want nicer numbers, but I felt like 2.5 might be a bit too much.

I thought 80 damage was insane at first because it would make the burst combo too easy, but after watching the video I remembered just how hard hitting 65+ damage is, and hitting 75+ damage with the buff would be the same difficulty, so this is fine. The only part about this change that would make s-blast worse compared to its current state (in riibalanced) is that the 65 damage threshold is slightly harder to reach, but it's still almost as big as the old blast radius, so I think it's fine. It's a burst combo, so it shouldn't be too easy anyway.

I already explained a lot of the advantages of the lower damage part of the radius above, so I won't rewrite all of those, although (since you seem to dislike the potential for a 3-shot) I will additionally point out that getting a 2-shot is actually easier with this change, despite the damage reduction. In 2.1, you have to hit two shots from 2 units or less (because those are the only shots that do damage). With the change, this will still kill every time, but now there is also the option to have one shot be further than 2 units away, if the other one was closer, making the 2-shot more consistent.

Your argument that not knowing whether you'll get a two shot or three shot is "a huge deal" reminds me of douser dualies. Granted, they aren't nearly as slow as s-blast, but I think it's still a useful comparison. Close to their max range, you don't really know whether you're going to 4 shot or 5 shot, because of the falloff damage. Does this mean that it would be better if you couldn't hit falloff shots? Of course not. Having the option to go for a 5 shot at slightly longer ranges is a good thing for the weapon. The same thing applies for s-blast. Having the option to 3-shot will always be better than not having that option. I do understand that it might be hard for players to tell how much they've damaged players, but you could say the same thing about most weapons. It will come with experience.

This change buffs s-blast more than either of the other two changes, because it is essentially doing both buffs. Because of this, I actually think '91 should stay at 210p. Partly because the explosion paint should probably be buffed along with the explosion itself (otherwise it would look super weird, although it doesn't have to be buffed by much), partly because something like a booyah bomb should be a reward for staying alive a while, and partly because this buff is probably going to be really good. As Chara mentioned, the weapon requires a lot of time to be put into it, but this would make it actually worth the investment, and I think if someone decided to push it they could do very well, which is how weapons like this should be. I don't want to overstate how good this will be though. It'll still require that investment; you'll still have to hit directs to get good value. It's just that it'll be slightly more forgiving if you miss or in situations where a direct isn't an option.

I'm aware that I mostly focused on '91 here because it's the better kit, but I'm fairly confident that one won't get changed, whereas i don't even remember what kit '92 has and it might get changed again anyway once I start actually looking into the kits. It'll have a hard time being better than '91 though so I don't think i need to worry about it too much.

(I considered putting a thing here about how even though i spent a long time writing this please feel free to rip my idea to shreds, but i couldn't figure out how to word it and also, i knew you'd do it anyway. thank you so much for that, i cannot tell you how much i appreciate it)

Terret

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-5277-2851-4605
I thought you removed the damage buff, apparently I made that up.
I thought about it but opted for a radius nerf instead after thinking a bit and watching a Chara vid.

Also, I had a realization or two while i was writing this, so here's what I wrote, and I'll argue with my past self later in the post.

The long range indirect shouldn't be hard but worth it; that's what the direct is for. Weak long range aoe is a very intentional weakness of the weapon. The issue right now is that it doesn't feel like it does anything at all for the most part. It should be buffed into a state where it feels useful, so that there are situations where long range aoe is the preferred choice, but not in a way that makes it rewarding to do so, especially not more than range blaster.

Giving the blast extra radius that does less damage would give it a bunch of extra utility. It would be great for finishing people off, and it would let it poke around corners a little bit.. It wouldn't be the best at those things However, I do agree that the 50 damage radius should get a slight increase, because it's next to impossible to hit right now, so 2.0 is probably fine for that. I also think buffing the 70 damage radius would be helpful, as it would make the burst combos more consistent, and it would make two indirects more consistent if one of them is close. It also would make its paint not quite so abysmal for being 210p.
I should probably say S’Blast 91 is 190p and still takes forever to get booyah…

You could also think of it this way. It already has a worse clash/luna blaster indirect and worse range blaster direct, so i'm giving it a worse rapid blaster indirect as well.

7.11.0 / 70.01.8 / 50.01.8 / 50.0
suggestion1.4 / 70.02.0 / 50.02.3 / 40.0

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While writing this out, I remembered about this video, so I rewatched it. And it lined up with my personal experience, which is that the weapon isn't very consistent because it can't get much value if it isn't hitting directs, due to the very small long range explosion. The inconsistency of the combos isn't something I thought about, but after watching the video I definitely remember being frustrated not being able to finish off kills.

After looking at your change and thinking about it, I couldn't really find any problems with it. Rewading a good indirect is good, and 80 damage fixes a lot of the combo consistency issues. But I didn't see any problems with mine either; a larger but weaker blast would give it a way to poke around corners and it would also fix a lot of consistency issues. So I concluded that these were two valid approaches to balancing the weapon. And I tried to think about their advantages and disadvantages and I couldn't decide between them. But then I realized: why not do both?

I present:
1.0 / 80.02.0 / 50.02.4 / 38.0
View attachment 10840
Black is Splatoon 3 7.1, red is Riibalanced 2.1, green is my idea from the first half of this post, and orange is the idea I'm proposing right now. The graph should hopefully help show how it combines the good parts from the red and green curves.
It could also end at 2.5/35.0 if you want nicer numbers, but I felt like 2.5 might be a bit too much.

I thought 80 damage was insane at first because it would make the burst combo too easy, but after watching the video I remembered just how hard hitting 65+ damage is, and hitting 75+ damage with the buff would be the same difficulty, so this is fine. The only part about this change that would make s-blast worse compared to its current state (in riibalanced) is that the 65 damage threshold is slightly harder to reach, but it's still almost as big as the old blast radius, so I think it's fine. It's a burst combo, so it shouldn't be too easy anyway.

I already explained a lot of the advantages of the lower damage part of the radius above, so I won't rewrite all of those, although (since you seem to dislike the potential for a 3-shot) I will additionally point out that getting a 2-shot is actually easier with this change, despite the damage reduction. In 2.1, you have to hit two shots from 2 units or less (because those are the only shots that do damage). With the change, this will still kill every time, but now there is also the option to have one shot be further than 2 units away, if the other one was closer, making the 2-shot more consistent.

Your argument that not knowing whether you'll get a two shot or three shot is "a huge deal" reminds me of douser dualies. Granted, they aren't nearly as slow as s-blast, but I think it's still a useful comparison. Close to their max range, you don't really know whether you're going to 4 shot or 5 shot, because of the falloff damage. Does this mean that it would be better if you couldn't hit falloff shots? Of course not. Having the option to go for a 5 shot at slightly longer ranges is a good thing for the weapon. The same thing applies for s-blast. Having the option to 3-shot will always be better than not having that option. I do understand that it might be hard for players to tell how much they've damaged players, but you could say the same thing about most weapons. It will come with experience.
I have kinda lightened up on the idea a little bit but not that much. I really don’t think S’Blast and Dousers are a very fair comparison, primarily because you lose four or eight frames of kill time through Dousers falloff and S’Blast you lose 60 frames if it results in a three shot (though Inkjet can be argued has the same issue, I dunno why, but ig it just feels right on jet despite special power making it more inconsistent. Maybe because the damage is flat 50/30 or maybe since it’s a special, idk tbh). Because of this, I am still worried about that being an issue. I’m not sure how to alter the scaling to not be uniform at the moment but I’ll figure that out because this needs testing for feel. It’s an interesting buff that I fear may feel like an unnecessary nerf in execution. That said, I would need to test it

This change buffs s-blast more than either of the other two changes, because it is essentially doing both buffs. Because of this, I actually think '91 should stay at 210p. Partly because the explosion paint should probably be buffed along with the explosion itself (otherwise it would look super weird, although it doesn't have to be buffed by much), partly because something like a booyah bomb should be a reward for staying alive a while, and partly because this buff is probably going to be really good. As Chara mentioned, the weapon requires a lot of time to be put into it, but this would make it actually worth the investment, and I think if someone decided to push it they could do very well, which is how weapons like this should be. I don't want to overstate how good this will be though. It'll still require that investment; you'll still have to hit directs to get good value. It's just that it'll be slightly more forgiving if you miss or in situations where a direct isn't an option.

I'm aware that I mostly focused on '91 here because it's the better kit, but I'm fairly confident that one won't get changed, whereas i don't even remember what kit '92 has and it might get changed again anyway once I start actually looking into the kits. It'll have a hard time being better than '91 though so I don't think i need to worry about it too much.
92 has fizzy now and slider got buffed so… yeah, that’s a good kit now :)

(I considered putting a thing here about how even though i spent a long time writing this please feel free to rip my idea to shreds, but i couldn't figure out how to word it and also, i knew you'd do it anyway. thank you so much for that, i cannot tell you how much i appreciate it)
Hey, no problem. I do also want to thank you for even giving me this much feedback in the first place. Regardless on the perspective, it’s hard to know 100% on everything so having someone else look with me helps a lot.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
Hey, another question. Could you reduce the spread of a brush’s flicks? Concentrate the ink in a narrower cone? Because I’d quite like to see that change applied to the Octobrush; it makes its damage more consistent while simultaneously taking away its ability to hit opponents standing perpendicular to it.

Now that I think about it, I have way more ideas for changes to weapons I hate fighting…

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
I should probably say S’Blast 91 is 190p and still takes forever to get booyah…
wait actually? that's hilarious. it definitely doesn't need 210p then.

I have kinda lightened up on the idea a little bit but not that much. I really don’t think S’Blast and Dousers are a very fair comparison, primarily because you lose four or eight frames of kill time through Dousers falloff and S’Blast you lose 60 frames if it results in a three shot (though Inkjet can be argued has the same issue, I dunno why, but ig it just feels right on jet despite special power making it more inconsistent. Maybe because the damage is flat 50/30 or maybe since it’s a special, idk tbh). Because of this, I am still worried about that being an issue.
Maybe it wasn't the best comparison.
My point is that any time it is a 3-shot with the buff, it would be an ∞-shot without the buff. You aren't losing frames because you wouldn't have been able to splat them before in the first place.

Your point actually applies more to inkjet than it does to s-blast. Inkjet's 30 damage radius does very little when you think about it, because unless you hit two of them it doesn't make you need fewer shots. So in a way the 50 damage radius is the one that actually matters, and the 30 damage is just bonus for when you miss. Inkjet still feels fine because your goal is just to hit the 50 damage; if you only get 30 then it's like you missed. The same thing applies for s-blast, if you're trying to kill with the explosion. The extra splash radius is just bonus for if you miss. What makes it better than inkjet is that there are situations where the extra radius is useful. It can poke around corners, have a little extra range, and do blaster things better in general. If there's an enemy across from you, for example, the larger radius can help keep them from rushing you down because if they get hit, even if it's only for 40 damage, they then have to worry about a second shot potentially doing 60 and splatting them. So if it's not a problem on inkjet then I'm sure it won't be a problem on s-blast which actually has a use for the extra radius.

I’m not sure how to alter the scaling to not be uniform at the moment but I’ll figure that out because this needs testing for feel.
Why do you want the damage not to be uniform? Can you draw on my graph what you would want it to look like?

It’s an interesting buff that I fear may feel like an unnecessary nerf in execution. That said, I would need to test it
I think I understand why you think it would feel this way, but I don't think so. The difference between 60 and 50 damage isn't that big, and the only time it changes the number of shots needed to kill is if they heal in between. But I can fix that.
1.1 / 802.1 / 502.5 / 38
Screenshot 2024-04-04 7.23.25 PM.png

Now the two-shot radius is actually buffed, and even if they heal a little bit it'll still kill at the current radius. In the 1.5-2.0 unit range, it might be slightly worse at combos with other weapons, but that's about it. 2 to 7 less damage isn't the worst thing in the world. In the 2.0-2.5 unit range, it does 0 damage right now, and it would do 38 to 53 damage with the buff. This is a very big difference. Hitting someone with 60 damage vs 53 might make it a little easier to combo, but hitting someone with 40 or 50 damage instead of 0 damage definitely makes it easier to combo them, especially for a weapon that can very easily do 60 or 70 damage to follow up, with either firing mode.

Last edited:

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
Hey, another question. Could you reduce the spread of a brush’s flicks? Concentrate the ink in a narrower cone? Because I’d quite like to see that change applied to the Octobrush; it makes its damage more consistent while simultaneously taking away its ability to hit opponents standing perpendicular to it.
Both octobrush players and non-octobrush players would appreciate this change, for the two reasons you mentioned. I'd be fine with this as long as it isn't changed by too much.

Terret

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-5277-2851-4605

Now that I think about it, I have way more ideas for changes to weapons I hate fighting…
I’ll look into it. Paint parameters are kinda weird on brushes and rollers though

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
so apparently the vac shot doesn't have an outside hitbox??
it shouldn't be huge like reefslider's but i think giving it a 30 damage radius that's maybe 3 to 5 units bigger than the 220 radius would be helpful for it

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
it shouldn't be huge like reefslider's but i think giving it a 30 damage radius that's maybe 3 to 5 units bigger than the 220 radius would be helpful for it
Vac's explosion is designed in a very specific way that justifies the lack of an outside hitbox.
I think that the special needs better flexibility rather than an even stronger shot.

If I had to buff Vac, the way I'd do it is:
Making it immune to rush attacks because it doesn't make sense that some weapon classes can just ignore its only form of protection.
Letting it fire the shot at any time during the special's duration.
Maybe increasing its default strafe speed or letting it ignore enemy ink completely while using suction? It'd be funny, at least.

There is one particular rework I have for Vac has to do with filling it. Instead of the suction ending, I think the area of the suction should be halved, and if the special absorbs more ink beyond its capacity, it explodes on the spot rather than being able to fire. Sacrificing a bit of offensive ability for survivability and putting more emphasis on the suction.

Terret

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-5277-2851-4605
With all due respect, I am planning to NERF vac’s blast radius and trying to figure out healthier ways to buff it. There is no way I am making that nuclear shot any bigger than it already is, even if damage were to be decreased

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom