• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Making a hypothetical balance patch and screwing with some kits

Terret

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-5277-2851-4605
I haven't done anything with xlink kai yet but I think I have a decent understanding of what it does and how it works. But what I don't understand is how am I supposed to use it to modify Splatoon? It looks like it's only for connecting players. How are you running riibalanced?
The point of XLink Kai is to allow LAN play in a manner where Nintendo doesn’t have leverage and therefore, allowed to use mods. The thing is, both sides need the same of certain mods for this to work and Nintendo servers won’t cut it

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
The point of XLink Kai is to allow LAN play in a manner where Nintendo doesn’t have leverage and therefore, allowed to use mods. The thing is, both sides need the same of certain mods for this to work and Nintendo servers won’t cut it
Are you using a modded switch?

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
This is gonna have to take second priority to modding my Wii U for pretendo, then
I've modded my Wii in the past so it should go smoothly, but due to some logistics i might not be able to for the switch
we'll see though

OnePotWonder

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
I had an idea, it may not be within the realm of possibility to implement, though.
Can you make Super Chumps explode faster when their own team shoots them?
I think turning them into mini-hyperbombs would be an interesting and awesome buff.

Terret

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-5277-2851-4605
I had an idea, it may not be within the realm of possibility to implement, though.
I think turning them into mini-hyperbombs would be an interesting and awesome buff.
I don’t think I have the ability to do that. It’s a shame because that is genuinely an AWESOME buff

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
I don't think this makes much sense because the chumps do damage slower than your main weapon. If the opponent is in range of the chumps, why would you shoot the chumps to make them explode faster if you could just shoot the opponent?
Also, one of the most useful things that chumps do is they block the other team's shots while allowing your own to pass through. If they are placed in an area where a fight is happening, it is like having a bunch of tiny splash walls appear around you. Allowing your shots to interact with your own chumps would take this utility away, so I actually think this would be a nerf.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
I think buffing the fire rate is the wrong way to buff H-3. Its fire rate isn't all that bad if you get the timing right (it's significantly faster than it is when you just spam ZR). I think what really hurts this weapon is the endlag. It takes forever to get back into your ink after a burst, leaving you very vulnerable. Reducing this lag slightly would give it more options during fights and make the weapon be punished less for missing, without changing its paint output or dps. Its paint is actually pretty good, being not a whole lot worse than shot (again, if you time your shots right) and you already buffed it, so it doesn't need another increase.

Last edited:

Terret

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-5277-2851-4605
I think buffing the fire rate is the wrong way to buff H-3. Its fire rate isn't all that bad if you get the timing right (it's significantly faster than it is when you just spam ZR). I think what really hurts this weapon is the endlag. It takes forever to get back into your ink after a burst, leaving you very vulnerable. Reducing this lag slightly would give it more options during fights and make the weapon be punished less for missing, without changing its paint output or dps. Its paint is actually pretty good, being not a whole lot worse than shot (again, if you time your shots right) and this doesn't really need to change.
The endlag I do agree with and I’ll fix that. However, I disagree with removing the paint increase. H-3 is a very underwhelming main weapon, even with good paint so I thought to make that paint more of a strength.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
The endlag I do agree with and I’ll fix that. However, I disagree with removing the paint increase. H-3 is a very underwhelming main weapon, even with good paint so I thought to make that paint more of a strength.
I don't think you should undo the paint increase, but I think that the paint buff and the fire rate buff is too much.
I also have other problems with a fire rate increase but I won't get into those.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
I don't think this makes much sense because the chumps do damage slower than your main weapon. If the opponent is in range of the chumps, why would you shoot the chumps to make them explode faster if you could just shoot the opponent?
Also, one of the most useful things that chumps do is they block the other team's shots while allowing your own to pass through. If they are placed in an area where a fight is happening, it is like having a bunch of tiny splash walls appear around you. Allowing your shots to interact with your own chumps would take this utility away, so I actually think this would be a nerf.
This may be the case if implemented poorly, however dismissing it as an nerf immediately without even asking about the nuance of the change isn’t particularly fair.
The idea is that if a chump takes any amount of friendly damage, it explodes in 40 frames. While exploding in this manner, it is immune to damage from enemies, but still blocks enemy shots, and allows friendly shots to pass through.
The main issue with chumps is that all they are is a bunch of mini splash walls. The few that do explode usually do so out of range of the enemy. If they can be triggered early, their explosions can actually have an impact, making them more than a field of damage sponges. Not to mention a single bomb could blow several of them up all at once.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
This may be the case if implemented poorly, however dismissing it as an nerf immediately without even asking about the nuance of the change isn’t particularly fair.
Based on the information that was available, it seemed like it would be a nerf. I don't see what's unfair about this.

The idea is that if a chump takes any amount of friendly damage, it explodes in 40 frames. While exploding in this manner, it is immune to damage from enemies, but still blocks enemy shots, and allows friendly shots to pass through.
The main issue with chumps is that all they are is a bunch of mini splash walls. The few that do explode usually do so out of range of the enemy. If they can be triggered early, their explosions can actually have an impact, making them more than a field of damage sponges. Not to mention a single bomb could blow several of them up all at once.
I like this. Absorbing one shot wouldn't be a problem.
As for using bombs, it depends. If it makes the bomb explode instantly then definitely no. But if bombs pass through it and only start the timer when they explode, then it should be fine. 40 frames might be a bit short, but it definitely doesn't need to be higher than 60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom