Next Worldwide & FINAL Splatfest CALLIE VS MARIE!!!

Splatfest stage voting poll

• Arowana Mall

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Blackbelly Skatepark

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • Saltspray Rig

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Urchin Underpass

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Walleye Warehouse

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Port Mackerel

• Kelp Dome

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • Bluefin Depot

• Moray Towers

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Camp Triggerfish

• Flounder Heights

• Hammerhead Bridge

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Museum D'Alfonsino

• Mahi-Mahi Resort

• Piranha Pit

• Ancho-V Games

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
I'm going with Marie as I always liked her laid back personality. Callie is cool too, but If I were to pick one I would go with Marie. I can't believe this is the last one! If I'd known that I would've entered as a Night Owl during the last splatfest (so glad they won!), but I was taking a big break from the game after my massive tilt fallout. Perhaps there is light at the end of the tunnel after all.

I might have to record this one.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
This is exactly how Marie has always been. She's always been shellfish (bada bing), and arrogant and condescending. Callie even called her out on it for Naughty/Nice, the first zing Callie ever scored on her. Even at the live concerts Marie barely said anything acknowledging the fans, and turned around and walked off the stage the moment her contractual obligation was done. She just doesn't appreciate her fans. That's why Callie has always been the best ;)
But it's not how she's SUPPOSED to be. If you look at the other translations of her, even the japanese one, she's not as awful and harsh as she is in the US version. I doubt in any of the other versions (as further shown by the UK announcement that was posted here) she flat out insults the fact Callie was about to choose her team (making it Marie vs. Callie)- something I genuinely wanted to happen for the last splatfest. It felt like a huge "FRICK YOU" from nintendo to the US fans is all :\

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Whaaaat??? Noooooo. Nintendo would never do that to its NA fanbase /s
A ton of fans wanted Marie vs. Callie and for them to stop fighting and get along. Why else would they make the NA announcement like this than to spite the people that wanted it. Even if it's not Nintendo's fault for it I feel like in no other region are they at eachother's damn throats like they are in the NA, which I LOATHE. In other regions it seems more like they're playfully joking than anything. NA's version isn't playfully joking, It's like they want to rip eachother apart and it's not "cute" or "fun" in my opinion.

SyMag

SOLDIER 1st Class
NNID
PKThunda
A ton of fans wanted Marie vs. Callie and for them to stop fighting and get along. Why else would they make the NA announcement like this than to spite the people that wanted it. Even if it's not Nintendo's fault for it I feel like in no other region are they at eachother's damn throats like they are in the NA, which I LOATHE. In other regions it seems more like they're playfully joking than anything. NA's version isn't playfully joking, It's like they want to rip eachother apart and it's not "cute" or "fun" in my opinion.
I feel like they did this to make it so that their reconciliation is more satisfying, which I assume will happen after the results are revealed. It doesn't mean I like them fighting or the fact that NoA decided to go this route, but that would make a little sense from that viewpoint.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
I feel like they did this to make it so that their reconciliation is more satisfying, which I assume will happen after the results are revealed. It doesn't mean I like them fighting or the fact that NoA decided to go this route, but that would make a little sense from that viewpoint.
I doubt it. They're usually at eachother's throats in the results too in the NA versions, especially the one leading up to this one.
All in all it's just personal preference. I loathe the NA version, and it made me choose Callie because she was genuinely the nicer one this time while in past splatfests I felt like chosing Marie because I wanted her to win more / I felt like Callie kept shoving her victories in Marie's face.

Shrugs.

DDB

Senior Squid
NNID
Diddybound
It's weird, Marie started off as just initially sorta sassy and snarky. As the final splatfests approached she just started coming off as REALLY mean.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
It's weird, Marie started off as just initially sorta sassy and snarky. As the final splatfests approached she just started coming off as REALLY mean.
Maybe they're taking all the losses into account? I mean, it's hard to deny that one would get mad at losing several near-monthly events like that, even if at this point they're writing Marie a little too extreme.

Meta Knightmare

Full Squid
NNID
spacephage
For those in NA who are interested, here's the UK/EU announcement in full:

Go Team Callie!
wow marie seemed much nicer/less insulting in the EU version, i would have stuck with her here, but the NA version just set marie up for total failure haha.
why is NA squid sisters suck so badly ugh, their translations are the worst over here!

Dual

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
The Great Zapfish. It's really cozy here!
NNID
chaser1234
A lot of people are picking Marie, but not that many people are picking Moray Towers :confused:. Where are the votes? You guys want to be on team Marie right. You guys use snipers like Marie, right? THEN WHY AREN'T YOU PICKING THE BEST STAGE FOR SNIPERS THAT GIVE THEM THE ADVANTAGE OVER ROLLERS!?

Last edited:

Meta Knightmare

Full Squid
NNID
spacephage
just because they like marie doesnt mean theyre a sniper main haha
i mean i chose callie and im REALLY not about to use a roller
i dont like either!

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
The NoE one seems kind of boring. Parts of it remind me of the "fleek" line for snow/sand, but other than that it's very flat and straight. The US one may have had Marie overstep her usual grumpiness but overall I think it was more in character for those two having a cat fight on the public stage. The US text makes it seem like they're about to have a slap fight. The NoE one makes it sound like they're reading a teleprompter with Inkopolis News Corp, LTD. focus group tested "jokes."

As for DJ Octavio. It's pretty clear the actual dev team and art department really intended the whole DJ vibe. The entire stage and weapons platform is designed after a Skrillex setup. Not only is the art "DJ-esque" but it's a clear parody on a specific US-based DJ. The over the top DJ lines fit the direction of the art design quite well, IMO. "Im'a remix your face" may be a little wierd, but, seriously, he's a DJ using a floating mixing table and strobe riser as a weapons platform.... The art departments intent is pretty clear :)

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
The NoE one seems kind of boring. Parts of it remind me of the "fleek" line for snow/sand, but other than that it's very flat and straight. The US one may have had Marie overstep her usual grumpiness but overall I think it was more in character for those two having a cat fight on the public stage. The US text makes it seem like they're about to have a slap fight. The NoE one makes it sound like they're reading a teleprompter with Inkopolis News Corp, LTD. focus group tested "jokes."

As for DJ Octavio. It's pretty clear the actual dev team and art department really intended the whole DJ vibe. The entire stage and weapons platform is designed after a Skrillex setup. Not only is the art "DJ-esque" but it's a clear parody on a specific US-based DJ. The over the top DJ lines fit the direction of the art design quite well, IMO. "Im'a remix your face" may be a little wierd, but, seriously, he's a DJ using a floating mixing table and strobe riser as a weapons platform.... The art departments intent is pretty clear :)
I thought that both the NA announcement and DJ Octavio was fine (loved Octavio, actually), but Marie needed to tone it down just a wee bit. But then again, I watch Murder, She Wrote almost daily so I don't think I particularly qualify XD

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
The NoE one makes it sound like they're reading a teleprompter with Inkopolis News Corp, LTD. focus group tested "jokes."
Unfortunately, I can't find the exact quote, but there's an exchange in a certain EU stage announcement along the lines of Callie forgetting her line and Marie sighing and asking for the cue card. So, uh, yes! They are, at least some of the time, by the looks of it!

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
Unfortunately, I can't find the exact quote, but there's an exchange in a certain EU stage announcement along the lines of Callie forgetting her line and Marie sighing and asking for the cue card. So, uh, yes! They are, at least some of the time, by the looks of it!
They use a Teleprompter in the NA version, too.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
but overall I think it was more in character for those two having a cat fight on the public stage.
It's not.
The Japanese versions are supposed to be the most true to how they should be because the game was there first, thus that is how they're supposed to act. NA took their "artistic liberties" with translations a bit far and made made the characters really over-exaggerated stereotypes.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
The art departments intent is pretty clear :)
He was originally a... wasabi chef or something. Yes, that was changed early in development, but it makes some sense that his personality would reflect that more (whatever a creator of Japanese cuisine is meant to act like). What has been officially stated is that he's used music to brainwash the Octarians - that would suggest to me that he's an evil mastermind first and an artist second.
They use a Teleprompter in the NA version, too.
Oh, well, there we go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom