Next Worldwide & FINAL Splatfest CALLIE VS MARIE!!!

Splatfest stage voting poll

• Arowana Mall

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Blackbelly Skatepark

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • Saltspray Rig

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Urchin Underpass

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Walleye Warehouse

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Port Mackerel

• Kelp Dome

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • Bluefin Depot

• Moray Towers

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Camp Triggerfish

• Flounder Heights

• Hammerhead Bridge

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Museum D'Alfonsino

• Mahi-Mahi Resort

• Piranha Pit

• Ancho-V Games

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
What has been officially stated is that he's used music to brainwash the Octarians - that would suggest to me that he's an evil mastermind first and an artist second.
Wait I never knew this... does that ultimately mean the Octarians could have been good?
Huh.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
What has been officially stated is that he's used music to brainwash the Octarians - that would suggest to me that he's an evil mastermind first and an artist second.
Oh, where is that? I remember hearing it but not where
Wait I never knew this... does that ultimately mean the Octarians could have been good?
Huh.
The Octarians have never been really evil, just rivals of the Inklings desperate to survive

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
But it's not how she's SUPPOSED to be. If you look at the other translations of her, even the japanese one, she's not as awful and harsh as she is in the US version. I doubt in any of the other versions (as further shown by the UK announcement that was posted here) she flat out insults the fact Callie was about to choose her team (making it Marie vs. Callie)- something I genuinely wanted to happen for the last splatfest. It felt like a huge "FRICK YOU" from nintendo to the US fans is all :\
So...you're new to this Nintendo thing, right? :P
upload_2016-7-5_16-5-57.jpeg

Seriously though, I imagine it's due to the same reasons that we get Angry Kirby box art while the rest of the world gets Happy Kirby. There's a perception at least to Nintendo brass that Americans just like hostile angry things.

And consider the popularity of Marie here...that perception doesn't seem incorrect.

Meta Knightmare

Full Squid
NNID
spacephage
not new, i just think the way they decided to overexagerrate the sisters and turn them into annoying garbage was a squitty thing to do.
but yes, i know why we get angry kirby because "MURICA LOVES ANGER AND EDGE" ect ect
....what does the amiibo festival have to do with anything? If anything, ACNL was translated better along with kirby, regardless of the angry puff on the cover
edit: the last 3 kirby games covers remained unaltered

Last edited:

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
So...you're new to this Nintendo thing, right? :p
View attachment 3601

Seriously though, I imagine it's due to the same reasons that we get Angry Kirby box art while the rest of the world gets Happy Kirby. There's a perception at least to Nintendo brass that Americans just like hostile angry things.

And consider the popularity of Marie here...that perception doesn't seem incorrect.
Uh, wow. No I'm not. Also what does that Amiibo festival stuff have to do with anything? I simply have not played that so I don't get the point.
I knew that Nintendo America seems to think the entirety of the NA audience likes "ANGRY FIGHTS" but you're really not helping prove them wrong. I know for a fact I don't like it- I never liked how the NA Nintendo tried to appeal to that version of society.

And since you're bringing Kirby into this suddenly, I certainly don't like the NA boxart and how they make him look mad when all Kirby wants is to save his homeland! He even makes friends with some of the previous badguys (Dedede, whom was a villain and is now more of an anti-hero that even teams up with kirby on his adventures now because Kirby managed to convince him to be friendly!).

But hey, Kirby isn't even related to Splatoon. It's more accurately translated than Splatoon. If you're trying to make a point about translations you're going to get nowhere. Kirby, and even ACNL and the rest of the Animal Crossing series, are translated really accurately from my knowledge.

The Squid Sisters are given drastic personality changes in NA in comparison to their JP selves. They are made into stereotypes of one aspect of their personality- Marie's saltiness (enhanced by fandom) and Callie's childishness.

I'm not expecting to change your opinion on this, but I'm far from new to nintendo, having grown up playing nintendo consoles. Claiming I am when you hardly know me just for pointing out translation errors and how NA overdoes things for the sake of the fans that apparently adore violence and fights between cousins is pretty ridiculous.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Meanwhile…closer to the thread topic…

Did you see about the Miitomo shirts?
Sorry for the double post if this ends up being one but yeah. Let's get back to the main topic (because I hate arguing about pointless things. It was getting really off topic and droning. I can just make another thread for translation arguments if it needs it.)

I don't play Miitomo anymore, but I saw and I would do it if I did still play.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Uh, wow. No I'm not. Also what does that Amiibo festival stuff have to do with anything? I simply have not played that so I don't get the point.
I knew that Nintendo America seems to think the entirety of the NA audience likes "ANGRY FIGHTS" but you're really not helping prove them wrong. I know for a fact I don't like it- I never liked how the NA Nintendo tried to appeal to that version of society.

And since you're bringing Kirby into this suddenly, I certainly don't like the NA boxart and how they make him look mad when all Kirby wants is to save his homeland! He even makes friends with some of the previous badguys (Dedede, whom was a villain and is now more of an anti-hero that even teams up with kirby on his adventures now because Kirby managed to convince him to be friendly!).

But hey, Kirby isn't even related to Splatoon. It's more accurately translated than Splatoon. If you're trying to make a point about translations you're going to get nowhere. Kirby, and even ACNL and the rest of the Animal Crossing series, are translated really accurately from my knowledge.

The Squid Sisters are given drastic personality changes in NA in comparison to their JP selves. They are made into stereotypes of one aspect of their personality- Marie's saltiness (enhanced by fandom) and Callie's childishness.

I'm not expecting to change your opinion on this, but I'm far from new to nintendo, having grown up playing nintendo consoles. Claiming I am when you hardly know me just for pointing out translation errors and how NA overdoes things for the sake of the fans that apparently adore violence and fights between cousins is pretty ridiculous.
Yikes......so...#TeamMarie then?

It was a joke regarding prior Nintendo FU's to fans. I wasn't actually accusing you of being new to Nintendo! :)
You'd mentioned Nintendo's FU to fans...Amiibo Festival is right up there with it :)

I'm not sure if it's NoA or really NCL that things the audience likes angry fights, but the sales back up that it happens to be true. Looking at the broader market, look at the success of XBox here versus it's lack of dominance pretty much everywhere else. Angry edge does sell here. Nintendo learned that from Sega in the 90's. I also think Callie and Marie were adapted to the way the American audience would perceive pop/tv stars to behave versus the Japanese expectations of an "Idol" - a concept that doesn't really translate 1:1 here.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Yikes......so...#TeamMarie then?

It was a joke regarding prior Nintendo FU's to fans. I wasn't actually accusing you of being new to Nintendo! :)
You'd mentioned Nintendo's FU to fans...Amiibo Festival is right up there with it :)

I'm not sure if it's NoA or really NCL that things the audience likes angry fights, but the sales back up that it happens to be true. Looking at the broader market, look at the success of XBox here versus it's lack of dominance pretty much everywhere else. Angry edge does sell here. Nintendo learned that from Sega in the 90's. I also think Callie and Marie were adapted to the way the American audience would perceive pop/tv stars to behave versus the Japanese expectations of an "Idol" - a concept that doesn't really translate 1:1 here.
No, I am actually team Callie since I did not enjoy how Marie acted to Callie at all in response in the NA translation.
I made a separate thread to talk about translations, however, so we don't clutter this thread (if you wish to keep talking about the translation)
I apologize for not understanding that you were joking with me, by the way.

WeirdChillFever

Pro Squid
The NoE one seems kind of boring. Parts of it remind me of the "fleek" line for snow/sand, but other than that it's very flat and straight. The US one may have had Marie overstep her usual grumpiness but overall I think it was more in character for those two having a cat fight on the public stage. The US text makes it seem like they're about to have a slap fight. The NoE one makes it sound like they're reading a teleprompter with Inkopolis News Corp, LTD. focus group tested "jokes."

As for DJ Octavio. It's pretty clear the actual dev team and art department really intended the whole DJ vibe. The entire stage and weapons platform is designed after a Skrillex setup. Not only is the art "DJ-esque" but it's a clear parody on a specific US-based DJ. The over the top DJ lines fit the direction of the art design quite well, IMO. "Im'a remix your face" may be a little wierd, but, seriously, he's a DJ using a floating mixing table and strobe riser as a weapons platform.... The art departments intent is pretty clear :)
Yeah, the EU translation is general is pretty formal instead of the "Rad" theme the NA version seems to have. (Booyah! vs Nice!, basically)

MKFlame7

Inkling
NNID
t-bone4
Guys, I haven't received me e-mail yet and probably won't. Can someone give me the link in the e-mail?

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
I'm more interested in knowing what they plan to do for the distribution of the super snails after Splatfest is over? Are they just going to lower the price of adding and randomizing slots after?

LupusFreak

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LupusFreak
A lot of people are picking Marie, but not that many people are picking Moray Towers :confused:. Where are the votes? You guys want to be on team Marie right. You guys use snipers like Marie, right? THEN WHY AREN'T YOU PICKING THE BEST STAGE FOR SNIPERS THAT GIVE THEM THE ADVANTAGE OVER ROLLERS!?
The thing about Moray is, yeah it's a great map for snipers... If you don't let them sneak past you. If someone flanks and splats you, it becomes incredibly difficult from that point on (from what I've experienced) because you have to snipe downward at an extremely awkward angle, and unless you practice at that angle regularly, it's essentially a 3v4 which, in most cases (especially if the other team realizes what happened and takes advantage of it) you lose.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Heyyy... something that struck me in the loading screen of Splatoon:
See the Squid Squad poster right in the middle, above the Splattershot? See the 'date' on it? 2016/23/07... the Saturday of the Splatfest, its first proper day... oh my gosh.

Except the 0 in 07 isn't the same as that in 2016, so it's probably a huge coincidence that it looks so much like the month of July.

Dual

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
The Great Zapfish. It's really cozy here!
NNID
chaser1234
Heyyy... something that struck me in the loading screen of Splatoon:
See the Squid Squad poster right in the middle, above the Splattershot? See the 'date' on it? 2016/23/07... the Saturday of the Splatfest, its first proper day... oh my gosh.
It was a setup from day 1. They knew this would happen.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
I can't believe people are getting so salted up over a fictional character's piece of dialogue. This is hilarious.

Btw, as someone who owns the JP version, I mostly prefer NA translations... as others have said, they give more flare, more spunk and personality. Its weebish to suggest that the JP versions of Callie and Marie are the most nuanced and intricate... they're stereotypes in every region, regardless of how accurately one matches the other across regions. You could swap out Callie and Marie for an equivalent character archetype from just about any generic slice of life anime and have the exact same character. I feel that is less the case with the NA versions.

Anyway, really standing up for what you believe in by changing your vote because of her announcement dialogue. I'm sure she will weep in cyberspace when Callie wins. Best of luck to you.

Meta Knightmare

Full Squid
NNID
spacephage
theyre just annoying and whiny in the NA version, but thats just how I see it
Marie is overly rude and Callie is a sore winner and loser.
Everyone wants them to get along, yet Nintendo kinda spat in our faces, can we move on from this now?

Meta Knightmare

Full Squid
NNID
spacephage
Yeah so anyways, I'm pretty sure the colors will look amazing on the battlefield! I was hoping for pastel pink and green, but it might be darker. I can't tell just yet!
theyll more than likely be neon honestly! Just judging by the girls' colours on their outfits in general
pastel ink is boring somtimes imo, im all about neon

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom