• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Octo Expansion/Future DLC Discussion Thread

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
They're called inkling boy and girl. But i don't think it was ever stated that the inklings have to be teenagers to participate in battles. The squid sisters and off the hook are canonically adults and they participate in battles to (heck some people tought the squid sisters were minors too before their official age were revealed). So you could always say that the inkling you're playing as is 18+ i said desperately trying to justify my large gallery of splatoon lewds

Chewwiii

Senior Squid
NNID
newmoonz
But i don't think it was ever stated that the inklings have to be teenagers to participate in battles.
Hmmmm but I thought it was stated somewhere the inklings were 12? Or 14 in Spla2n...
Under the age of ,what 12? they’re just blob things..? I feel like this is actually cannon?? But maybe I’m wrong..?

Also the “Dedf1sh” name thing sounds like a parody of deadmau5?

Reactions: the

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Hmmmm but I thought it was stated somewhere the inklings were 12? Or 14 in Spla2n...
Under the age of ,what 12? they’re just blob things..? I feel like this is actually cannon?? But maybe I’m wrong..?

Also the “Dedf1sh” name thing sounds like a parody of deadmau5?
The first Splatoon Direct mentioned that when Inkling turn 14 they grow legs and have come of age to participate in Turf Wars, right, @Nerdbird?

Cephalobro

It's more likely that the Inklings in Splatoon 1 are 14 years old while the same Inklings are 16 when Splatoon 2 happens. The Inklings we play in Splatoon 2 are separate from the ones we play in Splatoon 1, which were stated to also be 14.

Chewwiii

Senior Squid
NNID
newmoonz
So I was off by 2 years.. but still, they have to be teens to turf.

Hmmm..
Now I wonder how old are the Octolings..? both the new ones and the older ones?

Cephalobro

I believe the enemy Octolings are older, they could be 16 or even 17, they sound older. While the playable Octolings look to be 14 because they look a bit younger. At least that's what they look like to me.

Last edited:

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
...my my my, quite the interesting turn this is veering...

Going by the second sunken scroll, I guess you could make a case that the octolings we fight are a little older as Marina would be about 16 during the events of Splatoon 1's campaign.

Meanwhile the Squid Sisters would be around 19 at the start of Splatoon 2, Agent 3 about 16, Pearl & Marina about 21 & 18, and Captain Cuttlefish still 100+something. And since we're nearly a year in we might want to tack on a year to everyone.

But yeah, your inkling/Agent 4 starting out is presumably 14 and we can surmise that's also likely the case with the playable octoling/Agent 8.

*yawn* Too early for this! I need some coffee, tea, or whiskey to wake me up. *zzzz*

Cephalobro

Not sure if this count as spoilers, but
The male Octoling has 3 smaller tentacles on the back of his head.
I saw an image on r/Splatoon (Splatoon Reddit) where someone has shown what the male Octoling looks like from the back.

Last edited:

Chewwiii

Senior Squid
NNID
newmoonz
Jesus, this is actually gonna be a tad tricky.

Welp. Totally gonna fail that a couple of times. Very very tricky.

/—
Not sure if this count as spoilers, but
The male Octoling has 3 smaller tentacles on the back of his head.
I saw an image on r/Splatoon (Splatoon Reddit) where someone has shown what the male Octoling looks like from the back.
Aghhhh that sounds so cuteeeee!?!

On the subject of how these new Octolings look,
Hasn’t anyone else noticed how their faces look similar to a cat’s?

Cephalobro

Welp. Totally gonna fail that a couple of times. Very very tricky.

/—

Aghhhh that sounds so cuteeeee!?!

On the subject of how these new Octolings look,
Hasn’t anyone else noticed how their faces look similar to a cat’s?
I think it has to do with them trying to make the playable Octolings look more adorable compared to the enemy Octolings. Basically being more inline with Inklings, the same case with their octopus form also having a mark around their eyes like the Inklings' squid form.

Chewwiii

Senior Squid
NNID
newmoonz
Being inline with the Inklingssss huhhhh
Sounds like a certain theory that’s been floating around?

Alsooooo I found the pic you were talking about.
4536BD2E-2C91-44C2-840D-2A9921205CBA.png
I legit awed as it pulled up.
Like out loud.

Cephalobro

Being inline with the Inklingssss huhhhh
Sounds like a certain theory that’s been floating around?

Alsooooo I found the pic you were talking about.
I legit awed as it pulled up.
Like out loud.
I don't believe in that theory personally. I believe that playable Octolings are just a different species of Octarians entirely.

Chewwiii

Senior Squid
NNID
newmoonz
I don't believe in that theory personally. I believe that playable Octolings are just a different species of Octarians entirely.
Pffftttt

Lol ok
Believe what you want to believe.. and totally gloss over the fact that they were shown in tubes and their whole everything screams “I’m not just Octo”.

Also also..!
I the same case with their octopus form also having a mark around their eyes like the Inklings' squid form.
Octolings have a ring around their eyes too? Their eyes, however, are quite small..
They have a lot in common with both Octolings and Inklings. Especially with how these new one’s lay with their arms. It screams Inkling?

But yes, believe what you want.

Cephalobro

Pffftttt

Lol ok
Believe what you want to believe.. and totally gloss over the fact that they were shown in tubes and their whole everything screams “I’m not just Octo”.

Also also..!

Octolings have a ring around their eyes too? Their eyes, however, are quite small..
They have a lot in common with both Octolings and Inklings. Especially with how these new one’s lay with their arms. It screams Inkling?

But yes, believe what you want.
There could be other reasons why they were in test tubes. An example is that they were captured to be Sanitized and the green liquid is what makes them Sanitized. They had escaped but have no memory of being captured or escaping.

Chewwiii

Senior Squid
NNID
newmoonz
Okay then.
Why do they look so different?
If you’ve ever played Splatoon (the first one) and beat the story mode, as the credits roll you get to see cute little drawings. One of these cute drawings feature a male Inkling and an Octoling. This Octoling looks exactly like all the other Octolings you encounter during the campaign. She’s not “sanitized” or anything. But she still looks like the others..

Although there is no alternate drawing for Spla2n, there’s still Marina.
Marina is an Octoling (and at this point I’m sure Pearl is 1/4th of one). Marina, although doesn’t look like the everyday Octoling, still has her arms (what we mistaken as tentacles) within their respective places. Thick on top, slim on bottom. She has a weathered yellow like texture underneath the colors of her arms, a black color that sinks into a ocean green as her arms reach an end, and sticking out giant to teeny suckers placed on her head. She also doesn’t have prominent ears, instead she has little nubs like all the other Octolings do.
These new ones do not.
Instead with these ones we have very slim arms, teeny suckers that don’t stand out as much, a lopsided arm-style, crystal white unders, rings and prominent ears. And for crying out loud, they have mismatching ears! One of their ears (left looking at them, right if you imagined them being in front of you) looks like an Inklings!

And and and..!
If you’ve ever read the Splatoon Wiki about the Octolings,
Why are they named differently?
And more importantly,
why is there now a legit male Octoling?
Octolings are a female only race of Octarians. They do not have any males within their ranks. (Grabbing this off of the Wiki)

I’ll link the page to the Wiki once I’ve refound it. Lol

Cephalobro

Again, this is because they are a different species, that's the reason why there are male Octolings. In fact DJ Octavio is an Octoling himself, seen in a Sunken Scroll from Splatoon 1 next to Cap'n Cuttlefish. I have read the Splatoon Wiki and it says that the enemy Octolings are called "Octopus-Amazon" in Japanese while the playable Octolings are called "Octopus", further implying that they are different species. And to clarify, male Octolings already exist. The Octarian army is only a small fraction of the general Octarian population. Pearl is actually a different species of Inkling (possibly the Pygmy Squid). There's nothing saying in Splatoon lore saying that there can't be different species of the same creature.

Last edited:

Chewwiii

Senior Squid
NNID
newmoonz
And to clarify, male Octolings already exist. The Octarian army is only a small fraction of the general Octarian population.
Uh. You mean Octolings. Not Octarians. Oh and..
They Are Octarians.
Not Octolings. They do not have the special ability to morph to and from a humanoid form. They are stuck as whatever they are.

In fact DJ Octavio is an Octoling himself, seen in a Sunken Scroll from Splatoon 1 next to Cap'n Cuttlefish.
The DJ is only one! and he doesn’t seem to show any signs of morphing and I’m so sure he isn’t categorized with the Octolings. Just as sure as you are about these new Octolings not not being Octolings.

Pearl is actually a different species of Inkling. There's nothing saying in Splatoon lore saying that there can't be different species of the same creature.
Teeth! Er.. beaks I mean.
Ever seen a picture of an Octopus’ beak? Now compare that with a Squids beak.
Although this is a shaky statement becauseeee in Splatoon, with the power of hacks, Octolings are shown with the same beaks as Inklings.
But all has since changed ever since Spla2n!
Thanks to Marina, again.
And then since we are talking about beaks, ever seen the new Octoling’s beaks?

Again, this is because they are a different species
Different species different species.
Yeah yeah yeah. Oh please. As I recall you believe them to be [Blue] Ringed Octopi? Am I correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom