• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Octo Expansion Spoiler Discussion Thread

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Design-wise you could probably still have the ink tank revealed by having it over the cape, like the longer coats, or split up the back like an upside-down V.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As for other items, I'm guessing the Off the Hook amiibos will be giving out the Splat1 Octoling gear and Agent 8 clothes? I'm hoping so.

And has anyone checked Squid Beats 2 yet? Have they added new tracks from the DLC yet? Such a pity there wasn't a rhythm game stage or two among the tests. lol

Cephalobro

They added a few from the DLC, one of them called Nasty Majesty and one or a few others I can't remember off the top of my head.

Nerdbird

Pro Squid
I think that there’s:
Nasty majesty (the trailer theme)
Fly Octo Fly (the final boss theme)
Shark Bytes (a new never-before-heard off the hook song)
Into the light (credits and staff roll)

Kidnacho

Senior Squid
NNID
Kidnacho
Switch Friend Code
SW-3767-4369-9288
Design-wise you could probably still have the ink tank revealed by having it over the cape, like the longer coats, or split up the back like an upside-down V.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As for other items, I'm guessing the Off the Hook amiibos will be giving out the Splat1 Octoling gear and Agent 8 clothes? I'm hoping so.

And has anyone checked Squid Beats 2 yet? Have they added new tracks from the DLC yet? Such a pity there wasn't a rhythm game stage or two among the tests. lol
I hope that's what Pearl and Marina give you and it would be awesome if they also brought back the concerts.
And the new Off the Hook songs and a couple other songs like the new Splattack are in Squidbeats. However, there's an odd gap from the 3.0 update to the first Octo Expansion song. It goes from I believe Wave Prism at 49. to Nasty Majesty at 80. Maybe it's another 8 reference but it could hint at something.

Cephalobro

Finally made it through the rail ride level with the Bamboozler! The trick is to actually jump over the grate walls instead of turning into an octopus to swim through them. This allows you to quickly aim the Bamboozler towards the crates behind them.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
I just beat the expansion 100%. Overall, I really enjoyed it, and I plan on replaying some stages for practice. This was a huge step up from the vanilla story mode. More challenging missions that aren't required. Better mission variety. More lore. More personality. Ii no (so cute!)!

Some of these missions were a blast to play through. A superawesome Gootuber trickshot challenge where Marina, Pearl, and Cuttlefish were basically making fun of the nature of the challenge. A Scoped E-Liter challenge that forced me to apply right peeking. A massive mountain of death with Dapples that I could only beat by being super fast and ruthless. Getting to kill the Octoshower with Inkjet was also awesome.

Some of the missions were a really big challenge for me, while some were easy. I honestly think the missions I had troubles with are missions I should redo in order to hopefully deal with any flaws I have as a player. Strangely most of the 8 ball missions gave me very little trouble with the exception of the Squiffer one, while the weaponless dodge challenge forced me to restart multiple times.

Then there's Off the Hook. This expansion did an excellent job at fleshing those two out. The chat logs were just <3.

The secret boss reminded me of what it's like to fight against a laggy player.

Last edited:

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Quick question: What do you get from the vending machine after completing the game? I don't know if I should be spending my CQ on that or on extra continues (which I use a lot of).

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Quick question: What do you get from the vending machine after completing the game? I don't know if I should be spending my CQ on that or on extra continues (which I use a lot of).
Drink tickets, money, ability chunks in varying qualities. Not sure about food tickets. I did however get 14 drink tickets with one lucky pull.

Last edited:

Ansible

Community Ambassador
I got 14 drink tickets as well on my last pull with the Mem Tokens. I think using the 10 Mem Tokens you get gives everyone nearly the same thing with slight differences, e.g. pull 'x' gives you 3 ability chunks but for a random ability.

After that it's fully randomized I'm guessing. But yes you can also get food tickets as well.

Would be nice if they do the same for Octo Valley too instead of just food tickets.

Kalamari

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-6554-8626-2987
I finished all of the tests and collected all the gear a few days ago (including the Golden Toothpick, which took me 50 tries, because of the armor break and auto bomb). Although the 100% Agent 3 was difficult, the exclusive gear you get is great, so if you still need to 100% even after Tartar, finish it so you can get the neat gear. Also, if you don’t know this already, you can go back to the subway after beating the main storyline, you can cash in C.Q. points for G, food tickets and ability chunks. ( which I find useful)

Cephalobro

Started going through Octo Expansion single-player to use the alternate weapons on the tests that have them. The matching sculpture from the J line is so tedious, especially when you're doing it with the Rapid Blaster!

Forma

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Forma1
Switch Friend Code
SW-3994-7331-0318
Started going through Octo Expansion single-player to use the alternate weapons on the tests that have them. The matching sculpture from the J line is so tedious, especially when you're doing it with the Rapid Blaster!
This is the last one I have left to do. It's gotta be doable, but it seems nearly impossible with the Rapid Blaster blowing away every box in a ten mile radius.

Cephalobro

This is the last one I have left to do. It's gotta be doable, but it seems nearly impossible with the Rapid Blaster blowing away every box in a ten mile radius.
My tip is to aim for the edges of the orange crates that's not surrounded by normal crates, but it's guaranteed to not hit a normal crate if you aim at the corner facing the outside if possible. A direct hit on an orange crate will only cause half damage to the surrounding normal crates. When you got really far, I recommend using the checkpoint so that you don't have to start the mission all over again. You just have to be really careful with your aiming on this one.

Kalamari

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-6554-8626-2987
Cuting out a shape with a blaster... that must be really annoying.

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Full Squid
NNID
PKGaming
So I beat the Octo Expansion and absolutely loved it. However, I am a little confused on the overall story. I think the game did a great job of fleshing out Pearl and Marina's characters, but the main story itself left me with questions.

For one, CQ Cumber says that deep sea life is forbidden entry to the promised land unless they pass those tests. But...who made that rule? Was it the Inklings? Was it Commander Tartar? Who designed these tests anyway? How'd Cuttlefish, Agent 3, and Agent 8 get to the Deepsea Metro Station in the first place? Why exactly did Pearl and Marina decide to help? They aren't agents, so they weren't assigned to do so. Were they just bored and wanted to help out? Why was CQ Cumber the one monitoring the tests? It made me think that maybe he was the ultimate bad guy pulling the strings, but he wasn't. How were so many Octolings making it to the surface? Story-wise, they couldn't all have been like Agent 8 and passed all the tests. If Commander Tartar just wanted to kill Agent 8 and Cuttlefish, then why go through the whole test thing? Couldn't there have been a more straight forward method? Why were the Octolings green and hostile toward Agent 8? Were they mind controlled?

Cephalobro

So I beat the Octo Expansion and absolutely loved it. However, I am a little confused on the overall story. I think the game did a great job of fleshing out Pearl and Marina's characters, but the main story itself left me with questions.

For one, CQ Cumber says that deep sea life is forbidden entry to the promised land unless they pass those tests. But...who made that rule? Was it the Inklings? Was it Commander Tartar? Who designed these tests anyway? How'd Cuttlefish, Agent 3, and Agent 8 get to the Deepsea Metro Station in the first place? Why exactly did Pearl and Marina decide to help? They aren't agents, so they weren't assigned to do so. Were they just bored and wanted to help out? Why was CQ Cumber the one monitoring the tests? It made me think that maybe he was the ultimate bad guy pulling the strings, but he wasn't. How were so many Octolings making it to the surface? Story-wise, they couldn't all have been like Agent 8 and passed all the tests. If Commander Tartar just wanted to kill Agent 8 and Cuttlefish, then why go through the whole test thing? Couldn't there have been a more straight forward method? Why were the Octolings green and hostile toward Agent 8? Were they mind controlled?
The tests are probably there to see if those from the deep can survive on the surface. For how Agent 3, Agent 8 and Cap'n Cuttlefish got to the Deepsea Metro, they were attacked by "something" while Agent 8 was in a battle against Agent 3 (also confirming that male Octolings do exist in Octavio's army). Agent 8 lost their memories, but they faintly remember hearing Calamari Inkantation. Pearl and Marina wanted to help out probably to mend the relations between Inklings and Octarians (or at least Octolings). The Octolings that made it out to the surface were previously from Octavio's army, they too heard Calamari Inkantation, Pearl and Marina were probably taking them to Inkopolis little by little often, which could explain why the Octoling population increase was gradual.

RocketsTail

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2874-2863-4789
Noticing a surge in chargers too. Octo Expansion got everybody feeling like they can play charger now....smh.

I just beat the expansion 100%.

The secret boss reminded me of what it's like to fight against a laggy player.
Haha.....yeah for real. lol

MasterYoshidino

Inkster Jr.
NNID
masteryoshidino
Switch Friend Code
SW-4197-0965-9397
There are only 4 boxes in Matchmaster Station that if previous crates are broken wrong will result in a likely unwinnable situation and they are near the bottom. Save the checkpoint key till then. If you mess up the damage to all crates reset on respawn to checkpoint which makes it far easier.

Ansible

Community Ambassador

From the developer noted on Tumblr and Twitter, the Octarians we face throughout have been "sanitized," and are thus mind controlled by Tartar. How he got ahold of all of them is anyone's guess.

I'm guessing Tartar kidnapped Cuttlefish, Agent 3, and Agent 8 as test candidates to eventually become blended into his primordial ooze should any of them succeed in getting far enough. If they failed at best they could have been sanitized or just left alone to live like Iso Padre.

Not sure about CQ Cumber's role in all this, but I'm guessing it's sanitized to serve as Tartar's zombie train conductor/test proctor.

Pearl & Marina could have been just vacationing or whatever around Cuttlefish & 3's last known location, due to Pearl and Inklings in general seeming oblivious to what an Octoling is. But again, I'm guessing on that just like everything else.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure why it took two years for all the player character octolings to reach the surface, but part of me is guessing that they could have recently heard it during the second game's boss fight as Calamari Inkantation was performed before a stadium audience.

So much guessing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom