• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Octo Expansion Spoiler Discussion Thread

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
As far as the world building goes. I assume that besides the test chambers, there is still a whole underground world. It would seem strange if all the creatures you see in the Deepsea Metro were all other test subjects, most of the passengers seem to be living fairly normal lives, school students, business people, etc. Though Tartar did have 12,000 years, so the entire underground could've been part of his plan.

Tartar's tests to obtain the Thangs and test chambers are probably means for him to sort out those of superior DNA in which he would create his ultimate primordial ooze.

CQ Cumber just seems like any normal employee, and Kamabo Co. despite being run by Tartar and fueling him ultimate goal, was still a functioning company.

Timeline wise, it is likely this all takes place very close to Splatoon 2, if not alongside it. There is mention of Splatoon 1's event happening 2 years ago. So everything must've happened fairly close to the present, Marina being with Pearl is obvious indicator that it has been some time since Splatoon 1.

The details of the fight with Inner Agent 3 should be written of since that fight is essentially an internal fight within Agent 8's mind. So things such as Calamari Inkantation playing is probably not indicative of reality but probably more of a symbolic thing, because that song was the song that made many Octolings turn a new leaf.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
The game says that Agent 8 is remembering the battle with Agent 3, though, and it seems like both of them (and the Captain) were incapacitated and kidnapped by Tartar at the same time. The one you actually play through is in Agent 8's mind, but there was an original battle as well (that was probably never concluded). And the Inkantation must have been playing, because that's what turned 8 into a good guy.

Forma

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Forma1
Switch Friend Code
SW-3994-7331-0318
So, something DOES happen if you finish every stage in the expansion with every weapon choice. It's incredibly minor, but... it's something.
some great reward.jpg

zeroxros7

Inkling
NNID
zeroxros7
Switch Friend Code
SW-7108-5441-6909
So, something DOES happen if you finish every stage in the expansion with every weapon choice. It's incredibly minor, but... it's something.
I don't get it. It looks the same to me. What is different?

Nerdbird

Pro Squid
You get a change in background colour with some decals. You also get the Kamabo company logo in full when you zoom out.

Both super minor but still noticeable.

Cephalobro

With Commander Tartar destroyed, I wonder if we are getting villains other than DJ Octavio for future story modes. For once, I would like to see what they can do with an antagonist group that's not the Octarians in a base game's story mode. After all, Salmon Run proved that the battle doesn't necessarily have to be cephalopod vs cephalopod.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Nintendo has said there won't be any more single-player content for S2. I certainly hope for another villain in S3, though. Maybe now that the Octoling are integrating into Inkling society, the Octarians will be allies?

Hm... I just had an idea for a tower defense game mode....

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Nintendo has said there won't be any more single-player content for S2. I certainly hope for another villain in S3, though. Maybe now that the Octoling are integrating into Inkling society, the Octarians will be allies?

Hm... I just had an idea for a tower defense game mode....
The fact that Octolings are now a part of Cephalopod Society just SCREAMS the Octoling Goggles theory being true.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
A bit late for me to get to this (I blame it on my ANS), so I'll keep it mostly quick:
  • People say the 8-ball stages were a ***** for them... dunno if I'd personally go that far. They weren't that bad for me.
  • The "dodge enemy fire for 30 seconds" stages, on the other hand. Those can **** right off.
  • Same with the "destroy all the crates on these moving platforms with half a tank of ink" one. Could never get the timing right enough.
  • Pearl with that metalcore demo tho... damn. Didn't think she had it in her. Not that I'm a metalcore fan myself, but I wouldn't mind hearing more of it.
  • Speaking of Pearl... those interactions in the chatlogs, man. I mean I've seen chicks have talks like that that weren't full-on les, but who are we kidding?
  • That telephone pole that talks in "slang"... it was bad enough when the Inkling Boy amiibo did it. (I guess it served its purpose then.)
  • TBH they had me for a second with that blender. There I was, thinking "is this a bait-'n'-switch? they're just gonna teleport 'em to the surface? in something that conveniently looks like it'll chop 'em up instead?" Thank God I was wrong.
  • I'll admit I'm not a fan of one-off villains that only reveal themselves at the end, but I'll give Tartar a pass for not being entirely unagreeable. How his words (slightly) ring true to this day...
  • Agent 3 I already went over in the help thread for that battle.
  • And of course, the Octolings themselves. I wasn't sold on the Octoboi until I realized that A) that limp noodle on his head is supposed to be a devil lock, and B) that he also sports a sweet afro. Octogal's gonna have to wait on the sidelines while I rock both for the next three weeks. (A shame that neither hair works well with most hats...)

Cephalobro

Maybe now that the Octolings and Inklings are getting along, the Octarians might actually help with building more of Inkopolis, helping Sheldon out with creating weapons for Turf War and Ranked Battles and maybe even be companions for your Inkling/Octoling when you're in the hub area.

Maave

Inkling Commander
The bonus Agent 3 fight after beating the story is making me buttmad. Anybody have recommendations? I get to the splashdown phase, avoid the initial 4 splashdowns, but then whenever I get close to finishing off Agent 3 I get spammed again out of the blue.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I believe there's some helpful posts in the last couple pages of the salt thread.

Pengconic

Inkling
Gotta love the salt in the wound from the toothpick having special charge up. SPECIAL CHARGE UP. *Screaming trauma sounds*

LordNgyes

Inkling
Why does Agent 3 have an employee model CQ-80, and why did Cap and Agent 3 come down here in the first place? Reply with your theories!

Attachments

Cephalobro

Why does Agent 3 have an employee model CQ-80, and why did Cap and Agent 3 come down here in the first place? Reply with your theories!
After Agent 3 defeated DJ Octavio 2 years ago, they went on to be your average everyday Inkling, until Cap'n Cuttlefish called them (my Agent 3 is male, but I decided to encompass both genders for this theory anyway) to investigate a strange reading in an unseen part of Octo Valley, there, they met Agent 8, who got into a conflict with Agent 3 and to some extent, Cap'n Cuttlefish. However, all three of them were attacked during the battle.

Cocacola

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-6163-8880-1423
That rematch with agent 3 was nothing but annoying. And that splashdown radius? What was that? Literally I beat it by dumbing it down and just constantly shooting while walking. There's hard, than there's annoying. Course one of the phases would be Autobomb rush.

But I 100% the expansion in one playthrough and it was well worth the wait. Loved the baller challenges, the ones where I could choose to use just bombs, and the match the shape one. The 8 ball and rail ones were the bane to my existence. And the last portion was so..bleck. But overall the experience was great. Got to learn a bit more about Pearl and Marina.

It was just amazing. Not to mention, gives you reason to play more. To either complete all challenges with all available weapons, and also to get chunks, tickets and stuff from the vending machine. Least I have something to grind when Salmon Run is closed.
I totally agree! Like srsly at first (for a bad player like me) it was kinda hard but then one my second or third try I realized it was just unfair and annoying. I also HATED all of the 8 ball tests, at the point of the 3rd 8 ball test I just skipped it because of how annoying they are. I wasn't going keep dying because I hit the 8 ball slightly in the wrong direction, it was just a waste of cq points in my opinion. Overall, I loved the expansion and I really like how they included the Pearl and Marina amiibo outfits. I just NEED to get the squid sisters and Pearl amiibos! I'm not really a huge fan of the Marina one though, I'd rather have Pearl just because of then crown XD

MasterYoshidino

Inkster Jr.
NNID
masteryoshidino
Switch Friend Code
SW-4197-0965-9397
The 8-ball tests are a test of patience. Other than that I found the expansion very enjoyable as it tested my limits of what I thought was possible within the game engine physics. If anything it would have been nice to have had some more dynamics in character interaction rather than it feel like a Portal-esque game.

Cocacola

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-6163-8880-1423
The 8-ball tests are a test of patience. Other than that I found the expansion very enjoyable as it tested my limits of what I thought was possible within the game engine physics. If anything it would have been nice to have had some more dynamics in character interaction rather than it feel like a Portal-esque game.
Good point! I'm just not a very patient person lol

HighColorSunset

Pro Squid
NNID
AmazingStrange9
Switch Friend Code
SW-0416-0878-7104
I'd like to beat it and then focus on collecting the mem cakes after I've unlocked the Octoling and all that (sort of like how in 1, even if I've beat Octavio, I still want to collect the Scrolls and enough Power Eggs to upgrade everything). Also, what happens if you lose all your lives/game over? I know it's "Splat!" in the Valley and "R.I.P.!" in the Canyon, but what about in the metro?

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I'd like to beat it and then focus on collecting the mem cakes after I've unlocked the Octoling and all that (sort of like how in 1, even if I've beat Octavio, I still want to collect the Scrolls and enough Power Eggs to upgrade everything). Also, what happens if you lose all your lives/game over? I know it's "Splat!" in the Valley and "R.I.P.!" in the Canyon, but what about in the metro?
Continue?

With the option to respawn at your last checkpoint with full lives (at the cost of the entry fee).
Going back to the Station Platform.
Or back to the Train.

Octo Expansion more than expects you to game over, especially when there are missions which that only give you 1 life or have no checkpoints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom