• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Octo Lab - IC Thread

Rustic

Inkling Commander
@Zerul
The place Hunter found himself in was very cramped, there wasn't as much room as he would've preferred in case if a fight were to happen. Especially with his weapon choice, a Charger in a hallway would be good and all if they ran at him in a straight line. But he wasn't too sure about it if he had to turn, as his weapon would likely catch on the railings or the walls.

His OOPA tried to follow his eyes as best as it could, but without any proper linking its flashlight wandered towards the rail beside the catwalk. It looked as though something frequently slid across it, the metal was scratched and slightly worn, seemingly reminiscent of a rail track.

Beyond the rail tracks were simply walls that surrounded around him. He wasn't entirely certain on what the rails were meant for, or even the purpose of this tunnel of sorts. He still felt watched even after his cursory examination, unable to find whatever it was, and he wasn't sure if he wanted to find the observer. As sword-wielding robots would likely prove to be a quick end in such an enclosed space, and even worse if it his watcher carried a Splatling.

Although he would've heard them by now, having noticed the utter silence in the tunnel. A stark difference to the chaos that was in the hallway. Perhaps he could call out to see if they'd respond?

What next?

Zerul

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Mechasonic9000
Hunter looks at OOPA. "is this path on your internal map? does it lead to a way out?"

Rustic

Inkling Commander
@Zerul
The OOPA hummed quietly, its eye seemingly read something that was invisible, "I don't possess any maps for these locations, as they are meant solely for transporting robots and occasional maintenance for the inner workings of the AG generators. Not a Subject and his OOPA."

It looked around a bit, "there appears to be something taxing the generators. Listen," the OOPA said, and the two stood in silence for several moments before Hunter noticed it. There was a loud droning sound inside of the tunnel now.

"It is not a good sensation for electronics," it remarked.

What's next?

Ikaheishi

Bobble-chan
The darkness of tunnel was unnerving, and the inexplicably ominous and foreboding feeling that Laura had did not help that either. Her heart was still beating rapidly from dash through the events back in the hallway, making it difficult to relax herself.

Where does this go? she said quietly to herself, before directing her attention to the ink-tank and personal assistant on her side.

Laura thought back to the discussion with the units she and Raye had just moments ago. The units clearly were aware of whatever situation they were in. They also understood spoken language naturally and even seemed to have personality. “No way!” she thought to herself. A general artificial intelligence—a thing of science fiction—and it was right there! Just sitting on her side! “The circumstances are weird and… not so good but… Awesome!” she continued in her mind.

The circumstances… With that thought her consciousness snapped back to the reality set before her.

Uh… Woopa? The uncertainty of whether it would respond or not was noticeable in her voice. Um, do you know where this tunnel leads?

Laura walked forth at a snail's pace as she looked around, sticking tightly to Raye for her only source of comfort.

@Rustic [Examine: surroundings]

Zerul

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Mechasonic9000
Hunter thinks for a bit. "why would the generator be working so hard?" he looks at the transportation rails. "if this is ment to transport robots down here that must mean that these do go up somewhere. but without a map this could be complicated." He looks at his options back up the stairs or further down to the generator room. the generator room must have an emergency exit of some kind. unless this way it. but it would most definatly have information that could prove useful. He heads towards the generator. "OOPA alert me when were getting close to the generator room."

action: Head towards the straining generator.

Rustic

Inkling Commander
@Ikaheishi
Her cursory examination of the tunnel she found herself in was disconcerting to say the least. Metal occasionally screeched in the distance as the rail track that ran beside the walkway rattled. The track itself was suspended over a black void to who-knows-where, and her OOPA's flashlight did nothing to said void.

"I don't know exactly where this tunnel leads," the OOPA calmly replied, trying to look around, "all I know is that these places lead to inner workings inside of the lab that maintain the laboratory. Such as AG generators and ventilation shafts. I would suggest caution if you wish to be in one piece, as you and your companion can be dismembered by the fans in this place."

She redirected its flashlight to look around the surroundings, to her surprise there weren't any such thing in the tunnel. Just walls all around the two, dark and gritty from the uncaring workers that supposedly maintained the "inner workings". Although there wasn't even one of those robots that were on the walls in the hallway she had just came from.

"For your sake, I suggest we hurry. The Centurion-class Reaver isn't going to take long before it deals with the others," it urged, reminding her of the lone robot outside.

What will you do now?

Devack

Inkling
NNID
LeagueofDevack
Raye looked around as well, looking for a safe path after hearing what Laura's OOPA had just said about their current location. "Then we'd better be careful." she said, before looking at her own OOPA. Raye then began to look around again, her Splattling ready in case they came under attack. "OOPA, how long is this tunnel?" she asked her own OOPA.

@Rustic: [Action - Examine Surroundings]

Rustic

Inkling Commander
@Devack
"This tunnel's length is unknown, as I do not possess any kind of map for this place," the OOPA replied, continuing, "however, if you were to find a console with a requisite port, I may be able to access it and figure out where this place is."

Raye looked around to the tunnel around her, seeing that it was tightly compact, a rail track ran alongside the walkway they were on. It turned off to lead off to who-knows-where, she directed her OOPA's flashlight to light up the branching corridor as she looked in. The rail was led off somewhere that she couldn't see the end of, although there was a faint set of lights at the end of the tunnel. They seemed to be quickly approaching.

Next she looked up at the ceiling for whatever reason. Perhaps it was the mention of fans that could reduce her to a pile of sushi. Perhaps it was a spontaneous action. Raye wasn't really surprised by any of the things that arrayed the ceiling, it was just a series of dusty vents. Although something seemed to have unsettled the dust, prompting her to squint at it. She noticed there seemed to be handprints leading off from one of the vents, getting her OOPA's attention. She saw that it led downward to the walkway, scuff marks dirtying the metal wall panels.

"Oh my... it seems as though there was someone here," her OOPA said, concerned.

What next?

MacSmitty

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Seeker624
Zale was stuck. He didn't know exactly what to do next, but luckly his quick thinking granted him an idea.

Picking up and dragging the body of the Octoling solider towards to the robot that threatened them, he gave it a arrogant smirk. "Go ahead and try you piece of scrap metal." He told it.

Staring at the robot for a moment, he then threw the body at the robot and shouted, "
RUN!" Before attempting to run out of the robots clutches.
@Rustic
[Action: Run away and never Return.]

Last edited:

Devack

Inkling
NNID
LeagueofDevack
Raye looked at Laura. "This way." she said, walking down the walkway.

@Rustic [Action: Keep moving down the walkway.]

Ikaheishi

Bobble-chan
Laura perked up in response to Raye. Alright, she said as she began to follow her friend.

As she walked, a thought popped into Laura's mind. Woopa… Is that your only name? she inquired of her general-AI-endowed ink tank. Don't you have some—uh… other designation?

@Rustic [Go to: Wherever Raye is headed]

Rustic

Inkling Commander
@Zerul
Hunter walked towards the sound, the sound of it steadily grew as he approached what he assumed was the door that led to it. It opened and he went inside of the room. Instantly he felt weighed down.

The room itself was small and many parts of it already seemed to be falling apart to the gravity from the generator, it was buzzing noisily. A terminal across from it in one of the corners of the room beeped incessantly, showing that it was operating way over what it was supposed to work at. It also seemed to be worth noting that it was labelled as "#5 Starboard AG Generator", whatever that meant.

The OOPA on his waist seemed to be irritable from whatever the generator was doing, occasionally making an odd static sound, before grumbling quietly about something. Hunter didn't manage to catch what exactly the ink tank said, but it was something along the lines of "crush" and "go".

Now what?

Oh if only that were the case.
@MacSmitty
The robot didn't stop in his march, he just slashed through the body when Zale threw it.

The rest of them turned around and ran, leaving the robot behind as it steadily followed the group. Zale was in front, dodging the fight between the creature and the large robot as he went, hoping that the rest of the group was as lucky as he was in not getting stomped on or kicked by one of the fighters.

As he ran through the hallways, he ran through a passageway with the group and entered a long, huge atrium. There were stairways and balconies above him, and he could hear panicked staff screaming. There were two security officers at the end of the atrium, a tall one wielding a large strange Splatling and the other seemed to be an officer of some kind, pushing the remaining scientists that were scrambling to escape through the doorway.

The two spotted the injured group as they got the last scientist through. Quickly they went through just as the door slammed shut. Carl looked back where they entered and saw the robot standing there, waiting. He isn't going to give up, it seemed.

"Carp..." Razor looked around them, looking for somewhere to run.

"Over here!" A voice called out from above. Zale looked towards the source of the sound, but there wasn't anything there aside from a stairwell that led down to the ground floor. Wait...

Quickly, Zale ran towards and up the stairs followed by the others. They reached the top of the stairwell, getting a better view of the atrium. Although there didn't seem to be a way out of the room they found themselves in, it did buy them time against the robot.

"Hey, thanks!" Thomas looked around, feeling ill at ease about what just happened, "what the-- where'd the guy go? You all heard him too right?"

Zale nodded in agreement to the blue Inkling, he too wondered who just helped them out.

What now?

@Devack @Ikaheishi
It was at this time that the ink tank chose to speak, "my designation is WOOPA, as decided by you. However, you may change this at any time to something more endearing or insulting to your liking."

Decided by me?” Laura responded in a mix of confusion and shock. “Wha—? Bu—I—Yo—An—” she was tripping over her words as she tried to make sense of what the OOPA said. “Enugh!” Laura was frustrated with herself now for the difficultly she was having.

She took a deep breath to calm herself. “How? Wait, no… When?” She finally got it out. “I don't remember making such a decision.

"After repeated interaction with you, this unit has logically concluded that the designation 'WOOPA' is the most common name," the ink tank calmly replied. It seemed to be content with the name, maybe it had taken a liking to it.

"Do you want to change the designation to something else?" It asked her.

But that's the name you identified yourself with!” She said, her confusion growing.

Now she seems to have irked it, as the ink tank had begun to replay the times she had referred to it as "Woopa".

"You have identified me as 'Woopa'," it answered, "as there is no other recorded reference aside from once or twice during a conversation with operator Raye."

Laura stopped in her tracks, flabbergasted by the exchange sofar with her OOPA. She could feel the physiological effects of her frustration—the rise in blood pressure; the feeling of being overly warm, the stiffness in her muscles, and the soreness behind her eyes—and started to become dizzy.

But… Back—the room—wak-ing… uh—
She began to feel faint, before falling over onto the ground.
Unnnnh…” Laura moaned.

The OOPA clearly wasn't going to let her just go and faint, as it began to administer multiple unknown mixtures that would rouse her from her stupor. Although it didn't even clarify on what it gave her, the ink tank just did what it did.
"Do not faint. You are in danger and my purpose is to keep you out of it," it chided, attempting to get her back up.

Laura grunted as she began to move again, pushing against the ground with her hands while she moved onto her knees, and eventually her feet. She looked around, reminding her of what she was doing moments prior.

Her head shook for a second as she resumed following Raye, and she spoke again to the OOPA.
Your… terseness suggests that I'm… annoying you.” The feeling in her head was still clearing up. “Is that… correct?

"No, I am incapable of emotion," it plainly replied, "I can, in organic terms, 'sass' or compliment you in cheery tones however."

There was a noticible pause before Laura finally responded.
Nevermind that,” she said with a sigh. “Although it's apparently not your original name, you seem to have taken a liking to ‘Woopa’. So that's your name then, I guess.

The ink tank did what she didn't expect; it started humming happily after her resigned sigh. The thing contradicted its own statement it seemed judging by its contentment.
"Simply Woopa. I am pleased," the ink tank said in a cheery tone.

Laura paused for a second as she realized this, and let out a little giggle of amusement.
Alright then.” she replied, equally cheery.

The two continued walking, the hallway seemingly went on for ages before they heard something that made them stop. The crackle of a radio above them, followed by someone speaking through it quietly. Another voice responded, harsh and angry, but quiet.

Well that killed the mood.

"Dammit, two lab rats got eyes on me now and you tell me this now?" He answered, before the ceiling above them rattled as they went through it. The man got some distance ahead of them before an exposed vent gave out underneath his weight and he fell straight through it and nearly went down into the void beneath them.

The man seemed disoriented by the fall, catching onto the bottom of the creaking walkway. He struggled to get back up, nearly pulling himself back up. He seemed to be a soldier, judging by his dress, which was much different than the others. Although he clearly seemed more than able to lift himself him onto the walkway, the two noticed that they felt much more heavier than normal.

In fact, everything seemed much more heavier than normal. From the Splatling in Raye's hands to the OOPAs on their waists, everything seemed to weigh a lot more.

Up ahead, they could hear a door open up accompanied by a very loud buzzing noise. Even their OOPAs seemed to be agitated by something, acting like animals before a storm. The two ink tanks chittered and beeped to each other, seemingly having a discussion between each other.

What will you two do now?

The post due date is going back to its normal in a week type. Unless asked otherwise.
The next GM post will be put up on Wednesday, August 9th, be sure to post by then!

Added a new action. 'Ask OOPA: ...'

Turn-Ending actions
Talk... (Talk with the person) - Will be responded to in GM post. A talk-scene will occur on the Discord channel, so the player(s) can be a voice for themselves in their interaction to the NPCs/PCs.
Attack with... (Attack with the intention of starting a fight) - Will be responded to in GM post.
Use... (Use something, state on how you're using it. Lest it be unclear and your result won't be what you want.) - Will be responded to in GM post.
Go to/Move to... (Go somewhere, name it. Move somewhere, name it. Else I won't know where and may just arbitrarily pick your next destination.) - Will be responded to in GM post.

Insta-Response Actions (As instant as I can make it, at least)
Ask OOPA... (Ask your OOPA whatever you want to ask, or even just do it for the heck of it. Can be used in conjunction with turn-ending actions.) - Will be responded to instantly.
Hide at... (Hide somewhere, use it to evade detection.) - Will be responded to instantly.
Grab... (Grab an item, compliments hiding in cover.) - Will be responded to instantly.
Fix... (Attempt to fix a computer, broken down robot, or weapon.) - Will be responded to instantly.
Examine... (Take a more in-depth look at an object or person.) - Will be responded to instantly.
Shadow... (Follow someone close behind while hiding) - Will be responded to instantly.
Approach... (Approach to interact with a CaST.) - Will be responded to instantly.
Throw... (Throw an object, it can a rock, a vial, a broken gun, etc, to grab something's attention. However it needs to be logical, as in no objects appearing out of thin air. Can start a fight.) - Will be responded to instantly.

Zerul

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Mechasonic9000
walk to the generator and hook OOPA up to it. "OOPA see if there is a map that can lead to a way out of here. i really dont want to be around here much longer."

MacSmitty

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Seeker624
Zale knew that he and the others were running out of options. That robot would be on them any moment, and it was probably none too pleased that he taunted it. Doing a rather humorous-if the circumstances weren't so dire-impression of a meerkat while looking around for anything or something that the voice came from or an escape route.

Come on, come on... Where did that voice come from?! Zale thought while frantically searching.

@Rustic
[Action: Examine the room.]

Rustic

Inkling Commander
@Zerul
As Hunter plugged in the OOPA into the console, the ink tank started to go through various screens faster than he could even comprehend, stopping suddenly on the status screen.

"There appears to be a firewall, Hunter," the OOPA said. It seemed hesitant about going forward.

"im just looking for a map. why is there a firewall?"

"It seems the laboratory's AI is seeking to preventing me from accessing anything else. I did manage to get out that the base is under attack by an unknown entity," the OOPA told him, continuing, "I believe that may be the reason for the firewall."

It seemed as though the AI was feared by the OOPA, which in all honesty was probably logical of the ink tank to feel. As something that likely managed the entire laboratory had to be powerful, much more than the small OOPA.

Hunter thinks for abit. "Can you put in a request for an emergency exit route."

The OOPA was silent for a bit, attempting to do something with the console. Anything really.

"It seems to have declined the question as there seems to be... a quarantine?" The OOPA wondered aloud, investigating the strange occurrence, "I am unable to proceed without risking your well-being."

Hunter sighs. "Figures...we help a beast get out and the whole place turns on us. See if you can bypass it. all i need is a map that shouldn't be too hard to do."

"Okay, I recommend preparation should anything happen," the OOPA warned him, breaking through the firewall after several minutes of waiting. Suddenly the OOPA started to chitter wildly, then something shocked Hunter violently.

The OOPA stopped its wild noises, finally managing to proudly say, "I got the map."

Hunter was caught off guard by the shocking sensation but holds stong. when OOPA returned with the map he nods. "Good....now find me an exit. and lets go find the others."

Hunter went back to the door he came from, but it didn't open. He looked at the terminal and tried opening it that way, but the black pad was utterly unresponsive and didn't register his repeated attempts.

"It seems my interaction had locked this door," the OOPA said, before glancing behind Hunter, "you didn't see this door there before?"

He turned around and saw another door, approaching it now instead. The door slid open with a hushed swish, leading off into the darkness once again.

Now what?

@MacSmitty
Zale quickly looked around the room.

He wasn't sure if it was just because of his speed or just plain panic, but he couldn't find where the voice came from. There weren't any entrances that someone could've ran into or hid in. Nothing, although there was a rather large vent in the wall. But it was firmly secured in place, and no one seemed to have tried prying it open. Perhaps that was where the voice came from?

There were many things scattered around the room by the scientists that had left in a rush, papers and various other items. Most of the machinery and technical parts of the room were still active though, projecting a collection of technological mumbo-jumbo that Zale would likely never understand.

On the other hand, the room led off into a narrow stairway that led off into the atrium outside. Someone had definitely went through there, at least if the mess of lab items strewn about the glass floor of the bridge meant anything. It's just that he didn't exactly know where it would take him, and that was what scared Zale. He didn't want to run into a dead end for obvious reasons.

What next?

Devack

Inkling
NNID
LeagueofDevack
"What's going on?" Raye asked as she felt her Splattling become heavier, as well as the uncomfortable feeling of her OOPA pulling on her skin and ink sac. "Ugh. OOPA, what's happening?" Raye asked her OOPA, while praying that it didn't somehow rip itself out of her.

@Rustic: Action - Ask OOPA about current incident.

MacSmitty

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Seeker624
"Carpcarpcarpcarp!" Zale said while looking around. There was no indication of where the voice even came from, which for all he new could've led him and everyone else to be trapped in this room. At least that what he thought at first. While there was no sight of the origin of the voice, there was a room that lead somewhere, but going that way would be another serious gamble since they didn't know where that door went to.

I need some reassurance before heading down there... Then, Zale facepalmed himself softly, having forgotten about the OOPA on his side.

"
OOPA. Do you know where that door leads to?" He asked the AI, hoping that it would give him a clear answer.
@Rustic
[Action: Speak to OOPA for the first time since the beginning of this RP.]

Zerul

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Mechasonic9000
Zerul looks into the empty blackness. "Oopa Light please." Once the flashlight was on he would examine the directions available to him.

(Action: Look around.)

Ikaheishi

Bobble-chan
Laura jumped ever so slightly; startled by the man's sudden fall. She scrambled to ready herself and her weapon for a fight should things turn out that way. With the barrel pointed at him, she began her interrogation.

H-Who are you?! What are you…doing here?!

@Rustic [Talk to: The fool who's in a pretty precarious situation right now]

Last edited:

Rustic

Inkling Commander
@Devack
"It seems that the gravity generators for the laboratory are being strained," the OOPA replied quickly, although its voice seemed to sound strange now.

"Do you have any idea what could be causing it?" Raye asked.

"I am unsure of what the cause could be," it said, glancing around the room as if there might be something there. But as it found out, there wasn't anything.

"Is it localized? Can we move out of this zone?" Raye said, the feeling of her internal organs being pulled on by the now-heavier OOPA becoming quite uncomfortable.

"Yes to both questions, although the gravity generated may overload the reactors and create a multitude of safety hazards for the laboratory," it added casually about the possibility of whatever could happen.

"Let's worry about one thing at a time. I can barely lift my Splatling, much less fire it." Raye said. "Can you give an estimate as to the size of the zone?"

"We could go back to where we came," the OOPA suggested plainly, not really able to give an accurate estimate, "as the gravity is being generated by something further down this maintenance tunnel."

"If we do, we'll likely run into that robot again." Raye pointed out. "What are our other options?"

"We may go forward or possibly try to traverse the ventiliation shaft up above," its little pink eye slowly shifted upward to the ceiling.

"Decisions, decisions." Raye muttered to herself. "Would gravity increase if we moved forward, and possibly towards the source?"

"Thankfully, gravity levels would not increase as we approach," it said, looking back to her.

"And if we disabled the source, what would happen?"

"The laboratory would likely be destabilized in its orbit," the OOPA seemed hesitant about continuing, but spoke nonetheless, "if you plan on doing this, I suggest finding the nearest aircraft to avoid the possibility of injury or death."

"Wait. You're telling me the entire laboratory is flying?!"

"Yes."

Raye's head spun, and she gripped the rail to avoid falling after the OOPA's revelation. Even if we manage to get out of here... Where do we go? she thought to her self.

The question posed a grave issue to all of the subjects in the laboratory. If they even escaped, where would they go? Wherever they were, they were probably in deep underground and from what she heard on the news before this. No help would be coming for them at all, as all leads came up with nothing for the IPD. Not even private investigators could make sense of the abductions.

The still-hanging soldier threw something onto the walkway, clattering loudly enough to knock Raye out of her stupor.

What now?

@MacSmitty
"No, I don't possess any maps of locations outside of the certain locations," the OOPA answered, looking at the mentioned doorway. Its eye shrunk down as it tried for a closer look, possibly zooming in.

Its eye grew in size as it looked back to him, saying nothing else.

God****ingDamnit! Zale's thoughts were starting to become unhinged due to his frustration on things not working so well for him and everyone else. Though the pinkette think of another question.

"Say, is it possible that you can trace the source of the voice?" He asked, looking back to where he and the others came from.

"What voice?" The OOPA asked in reply, confused as to what he meant.

Zale blanked for a moment. "The voice that said, 'over here.' not to long ago..."

"I did not detect anything, even though it was relatively quiet aside from the panicked scientists."

It didn't seem to know what he was talking about, perhaps his adrenaline was making him see things. Although the others wouldn't have heard the voice if it was just him, as he never heard of any collective hallucinations before.

Zale was silent. Well that was a complete waste of time. "Thanks anyway." He said, not satisfied. Looking over to that doorway, he motioned for the others to follow him. "I hope Laura, Raye and Hunter are ok." Zale voiced his thoughts.

"It is possible they are okay, at the very least the robots are programmed to forcibly pacify subjects," the ink tank assured him.

That last thing wasn't very comforting at all, given the evidence that the robot showed in his pursuit of them. It was more likely that the 'pacification' was in fact them getting beaten into a variably coloured pulp, or worse sliced up into calamari. Hopefully that creature hurried up.

What next?

@Zerul
Francis' OOPA turned on the light and much to his surprise it was...

The same thing as before, except there wasn't a rail beside the walkway. Exciting.
Well, at least it wasn't anything particularly dangerous.

What next?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom