• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ranked Battle (Splat Zones, Tower Control and Rainmaker) Discussion

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
The whole ranked system puts way too much unnecessary pressure on players. Especially when certain game modes can only be accessed with ranking involved. It's just stressful! I like Splat zones and tower control alike but disconnects take away points and getting terrible teams just makes you stress out. It's not healthy. Nintendo, PLEASE make these modes non-rank sometime in the future.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
I went from B-, to C+, and back to B-. I'll point out that I wouldn't have gone down a rank if one game didn't give me only 8 points for absolutely no reason.

Because, you know, that makes sense.
I got trolled so hard when I got 8 points one time, couldn't rank up from B one time because I kept getting 98 multiple times then dropping games...

What are you even on about? I use Dynamo. The tower blocks 50+% of your ink majority of the time. If you try and roll and squash the person on the tower next to you you bounce into them and nothing happens.
Shrug, I always seem to splat guys on the tower just by force rolling around the spike in the middle, I don't care how janky it is. I once got two guys dead as well so I usually roll around just to check.

Reactions: SGM

Thebluehero

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
YoloSwaggie
The whole ranked system puts way too much unnecessary pressure on players. Especially when certain game modes can only be accessed with ranking involved. It's just stressful! I like Splat zones and tower control alike but disconnects take away points and getting terrible teams just makes you stress out. It's not healthy. Nintendo, PLEASE make these modes non-rank sometime in the future.
To be honest I get more stressed out trying to find a balance between wearing gear I like and wearing gear with stats I like. I think the ability system need a revamp to let you have more control over what abilities you have. :/

DaisyFan

Pro Squid
its probably gonna be harder to find games on Ranked today. but since Japan has a Splatfest.

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
To be honest I get more stressed out trying to find a balance between wearing gear I like and wearing gear with stats I like. I think the ability system need a revamp to let you have more control over what abilities you have. :/
Oh yeah man that's the worst. I don't really use my special as often as I should and neglect using it quite often (The inkstrike is kinda useless in Tower control anyways until the very end) but all the gear I like has these crappy special related abilities. How am I supposed to look cool and kick butt? Jeez.

But seriously, nonranked Tower Control please.

Azure J

Inkster Jr.
NNID
AzureJay89
- In terms of gear Ninja Squid, Ninja Jump, Cold Blooded are not the best options for this mode since there is no point to be coy in this mode.
Just wanted to chime in and say "nope" right here. One of the most important and surprisingly underutilized strategies during the initial fight for the tower is to completely clear out the enemy team as quickly as possible. It's a strategy that prioritizes getting an early lead and either defending it for the rest of the match or getting the quick knockout if everyone is in sync. I've been using the .52 Gal Deco (Seekers) in combination with this:

(Not as optimized as I'd like [stupid rerolls] but eh)

To get my team to the base then immediately swerve around the tower to ambush the four other team members to great success. This mode is one where having even one unpredictable element get the better of you really matters and as such ninja squid's utility cannot be understated. You aren't trying to play the usual Ninja gear meta of misdirection in Tower Control. You're straight up hunting and any config that allows you to do as much to either get the early jump, midgame push or late game defense is going to become invaluable.

Mind you, this strategy has found the greatest successes on flat or mostly flat stages (Walleye, Blackbelly, Urchin, Kelp and to an extent Saltspray are pretty good for this). Not sure how well it'd work on thing with wonky layouts like Bluefin or Arowana's tightly packed nonsense.

Power

Inkling Commander
Well, I am just theorizing here, but wouldn't people be too focused on the tower to look at ink trails. Sure, ninja squid helps, but I would feel it be a waste of a skill. I am not discrediting you and the strategy you have presented, which seems pretty solid on paper (and from you exp, in battle also). As i said before, it helps, but I wouldn't use ninja when I could be much faster in squid form, allowing me to reach tower faster and establish some ground. Another reason I would not use ninja squid is that I have been able to sneak around the enemy many times without the use of it.

I may be entirely wrong on this one, just trying to present a counter argument.

ZainreFang

Pro Squid
NNID
ZainreFang
Just ignore the Rank. It's like Mario Kart: Just because you might be good at it, doesn't mean you'll necessarily win, since Nintendo adds mechanics to make the game accessible to everyone (like 1 hit kill Rollers). Just enjoy the experience and play your best.

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
Just ignore the Rank. It's like Mario Kart: Just because you might be good at it, doesn't mean you'll necessarily win, since Nintendo adds mechanics to make the game accessible to everyone (like 1 hit kill Rollers). Just enjoy the experience and play your best.
I'm the kind of person that notices everything. It's in my nature. And this kind of thing bothers me.

Thebluehero

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
YoloSwaggie
First match of the day from earlier today. I miss Japan already. International is free.
My friend always joked about how Japanese players are like the gods of gaming and will devour your soul and all that, but I never believed him until I started playing Splatoon...

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
So it looks like the rank mode rotation is indeed random since I got Tower Control twice in a row.

I honestly have no idea how to feel about this. On one hand, I don't have to worry about only being able to play one mode when school comes around. On the other hand, not knowing what mode I will get when I come home is a little meh. Both modes give me entirely different feelings.

Also, I feel like bomb range up is actually useful in tower control.

Power

Inkling Commander
So it looks like the rank mode rotation is indeed random since I got Tower Control twice in a row.

I honestly have no idea how to feel about this. On one hand, I don't have to worry about only being able to play one mode when school comes around. On the other hand, not knowing what mode I will get when I come home is a little meh. Both modes give me entirely different feelings.

Also, I feel like bomb range up is actually useful in tower control.
There is a website that shows the current rotation, I forgot what it was but maybe somebody here can give the link. It works with mobile i hope. I am hoping for this rotation stuff to be a thing of the past in the august updates but I almost certainly doubt that will happen.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
There is a website that shows the current rotation, I forgot what it was but maybe somebody here can give the link. It works with mobile i hope. I am hoping for this rotation stuff to be a thing of the past in the august updates but I almost certainly doubt that will happen.
Rotation modes? Sure. But rotation of maps at the very least avoids centralization. If the maps didn't rotate, then it would just be people using the best weapon of the average of all the maps. And that wouldn't be fun.

Power

Inkling Commander
Rotation modes? Sure. But rotation of maps at the very least avoids centralization. If the maps didn't rotate, then it would just be people using the best weapon of the average of all the maps. And that wouldn't be fun.
Good point. I wouldn't like to be forced to play one mode over the other is all I meant.

16bit

Inkling
NNID
imsl1msh4dy
I was playing some Splat Zone this morning, and one thing I noticed was how ridiculous Blackbelly Skatepark is in that mode. Do people agree or is it just me?

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
I was playing some Splat Zone this morning, and one thing I noticed was how ridiculous Blackbelly Skatepark is in that mode. Do people agree or is it just me?
I agree. It's one of my favourite maps to be honest.

16bit

Inkling
NNID
imsl1msh4dy
I agree. It's one of my favourite maps to be honest.
I
t's one of my favourites, too. The enjoyment of it is how well you (not your team, don't be a blamer) do in the neutral game. That one middle platform is pretty much a be all, end all, and that's what I love about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom