1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by SquidKid85, Jan 14, 2017.

?

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

Poll closed May 14, 2017.
  1. New Weapons

8 vote(s)
    7.9%
  2. New Stages

5 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. New Specials

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  4. New Character Customization Options

16 vote(s)
    15.8%
  5. New Modes

9 vote(s)
    8.9%
  6. The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

5 vote(s)
    5.0%
  7. EVERYTHING!!!

55 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. Gameboy224

Gameboy224 Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    Gameboy224
    Goku is just unlikely due to him primarily being an anime representative and not a video game representative. It just doesn't make sense for him to be here.

Sora however is, basically being the star of Square's #2 franchise. With said franchise still being relevant to this day.

Kingdom Hearts still has a lot of content which is not tied to Disney. Most of its most recognizable stuff has nothing to do with Disney. Also, Kingdom Hearts does have a lively history on Nintendo portables systems. With installments initially releasing on the GB, DS, and 3DS.

Stages, we have stuff like Hollow Bastion, The World That Never Was, Keyblade Graveyard, etc. There is a lot of original source material in that regards.
    Trophies we can just run through all the original characters. All the Organization, the monsters.
    Really, the only Disney characters that they would actually have to pull extra strings for is Donald and Goofy, but even they can be omitted if they decide to either focus Sora's Final Smash on Riku and Kairi or just have his Final Smash be a solo attack.

I mean they probably would still have to pull some Disney strings since Sora is likely partly owned by them.

#6021 Gameboy224, Oct 28, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    H0kag3_ likes this.
  2. Enperry

Enperry Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    ssjplt
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-0405-1788-8108
    It's not the same lol.

3. Cephalobro

Cephalobro Inkling Fleet Admiral

I mean, I think having Geno appear in Smash is very plausible, he was a Mii Costume in Smash 4, King K. Rool had the same thing, being a Mii Costume first, now he has been upgraded to playable status. Not a Geno fan just so you know, but even I can't argue about him being able to appear. He's the most likely Square Enix character to appear next because he was already made for a Nintendo game. Don't forget about Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, while the name might sound fanmade to some, it's actually an official collaboration between Nintendo and Square (before it became Square Enix), this was in fact Nintendo's first RPG Mario game. So I can see Geno appearing in Smash to celebrate the beginning of RPG Mario games.

4. MINKUKEL

MINKUKEL Inkling Fleet Admiral

KH is definitely not the second biggest SE series. Dragon Quest is. And with DQ being such an important Japanese series and its relevance to the NES and Nintendo in general, it would be a shame if KH got chosen as the next SE rep. Also a few handheld games doesn't make the series imporant to Nintendo. None of the KH games that anyone actually gives a crap about are on Nintendo systems.

And even if it was more relevant., the main thing about KH is that it's JRPG meets Disney. Removing the Disney part just so that Sora could be in Smash would be too stupid for words and I have no doubts Sakurai and the gang see it that way as well. Of course you could technically just put in the non-Disney stuff. It's not literally impossible. But it would be so, so dumb.
    Except it literally works the same way.

I don't think Mii costumes mean anything. Obviously it makes sense that some Mii costumes in Smash 4 would be some 'next in line' choices. That doesn't mean that some of the more oddball Mii costumes suddenly point to something.

I mean, it's possible Geno is in simply because Ultimate focuses on fan service, but Geno is a one-off side character in one game. Something like Paper Mario would be much better as a Mario RPG representative.

Tbh, Geno doesn't even have a major or memorable role in SMRPG. I have no clue why people even want him in.

5. Metasepia

Metasepia Inkling Cadet

So it would appear that Nouveau, in collaboration with Squid force, made the Ultra stamp.

#6025 Metasepia, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    Enperry and Ansible like this.
  6. Cephalobro

Cephalobro Inkling Fleet Admiral

Both R.O.B. and Duck Hunt are also one-off characters who managed to make it into Smash. In fact, R.O.B. has never appeared in a video-game himself until Mario Kart DS. So being side characters didn't stop either of them from being included in the Smash series, not every playable character has to be exclusively from a main series or be the main character of a side series.

7. Gameboy224

Gameboy224 Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    Gameboy224
    That kind of looks disgusting as a type of pseudo Kraken in terms of being a special for rushing down people.

Enperry and EastWest like this.
  8. EastWest

EastWest Inkling

NNID:
    EastWest
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3211-5108-2053
    And then being able to throw it at someone who has just narrowly escaped? I have my own reservations, but we don’t know that it will be invincible, right?

Anyone know when we will be able to test this?

Edit: We will get the special with the new patch on November 7

Ansible likes this.
  9. Ansible

Ansible Squid Savior From the Future
    Community Ambassador

NNID:
    RocketRobin
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8134-5728-9110
    If anyone hasn't seen it yet, the Splatoon JP twitter has a clip of it in action:
    Code:
    https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1056833423224954880

EDIT: From what's machine translated, I'm guessing the weapon itself has some mild armor or blocking properties when attacked from the front, so you have to nail someone from the rear. It can also be swung in midair and thrown at any time.

Wonder which weapons will get this--the newness drops November 7th!

#6029 Ansible, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    EastWest likes this.
  10. MINKUKEL

MINKUKEL Inkling Fleet Admiral

That looks crazy. It's too bad they're coming out with these new specials so late in the game's lifespan.
    Yeah, they're one-off (sort of...), but both ROB and Duck Hunt are very important in Nintendo's history (ROB less so in Japan, though), and Duck Hunt Duo represents other light-gun titles as well. Plus, Duck Hunt is one of the most iconic games of all time, even to people who don't play video games it's quite well known.

But there's more to Geno not fitting in Smash than being one-off.

11. Chaos_Knight

Chaos_Knight Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    Cha0sKnight
    Hey guys, remember that game Splatoon?

Spaceswitchmars likes this.
  12. ϛ(°³°)/`

ϛ(°³°)/` Inkling Commander

I’m having Kraken flashbacks. Hopefully they don’t put it on the Ballpoint Nouveau; I want a more backliner kit for it and this doesn’t seem to fit the bill unless you just chuck it immediately. -which, now that I think about it, might not be a terrible idea.

13. Chaos_Knight

Chaos_Knight Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    Cha0sKnight
  14. ϛ(°³°)/`

I knew it, as soon as I read the caption I knew it.

15. Spaceswitchmars

Spaceswitchmars Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    _funmars
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-0556-1305-6031
    In case you were interested in the datamined kit for ballpoint (admittedly, this information is three months old, and Nintendo is not shy about changes:

Beacon/splashdown. So the special isn’t quite as backliner friendly as probably anyone would like.

16. Enperry

Enperry Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    ssjplt
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-0405-1788-8108
    According to Inkepedia, "[In order to nullify Ninja Squid's slow speed you would need] about 2 [Swim Speed Up] mains for Light, 1 main and 2 subs for Medium, and just 1 main for Heavy", but this doesn't make any sense to me...

17. Spaceswitchmars

Spaceswitchmars Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    _funmars
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-0556-1305-6031
    If I remember correctly, it’s because heavy guns scale to swim speed up more than light guns (IE - one main of swim speed up adds more speed to a heavy than to a medium and more to a medium than a light). So it stands to reason that the swim speed effect curves would also scale to ninja squid.

Someone correct me if this is wrong.

Enperry likes this.
  18. MindWanderer

MindWanderer Inkling Commander

NNID:
    MindWanderer
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-5961-6763-3987
    That's exactly correct. Ninja Squid slows you down by a flat percentage (about 10%) regardless of what weapon you're using. But it's cheaper to buy a 10% speed bonus with heavy weapons, and more expensive with light weapons. The chart is on the wiki page.

EastWest, Spaceswitchmars and Enperry like this.
  19. ϛ(°³°)/`

I saw that datamine a while back as well. I was frankly hoping for it to be released along with Booyah Bomb so it could get that special, but I won't hold my breath.

Spaceswitchmars likes this.
  20. Saber

Saber Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    Saber
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-0369-4203-0233

both very excited for another smash bros direct can't wait to see what they pull next, hope some of the things i address come to play, and now it will also put an end to all the theory, specualtions, and the crazy leaks that have been going on

There have been so many of them lately it's honestly surprising the sea levels aren't rising...oh wait
    [​IMG]

#6040 Saber, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    Enperry likes this.