• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
That Custom Explosher? Already a direct hit is 55-90 damage plus temporary getting someone stuck in ink even if you miss. Give it a point sensor and now you have an accuracy buff; especially useful for those blind volleys over obstacles when they try to hide! Or a teammate can easily lovetap them back to the spawn point after you've taken more than half their health.

And if you want to be really defensive, the Baller can help you stay cozy when someone attempts to remove you from your camping spot.

Though a real ”downside" with exsploshers is dealing with a JP exsplosher duet in league. So~ disgusting when they both volley at the same target! >_<+

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
Does anyone know if flc still has a blog? I used to really enjoy reading it and then it went down for some reason. I deleted the bookmark after it was down for a while so now I’m not sure where to look for it.

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
So... with that tier list coming out, I'll just come out myself and say it... Tier lists like those DON'T WORK for Splatoon
at the very least, in my humble opinion.

When you take a tier list in a game like Street Fighter, Smash Bros, or any other 1v1 fighter, there's only one thing they need to take into consideration, and it's a character's 1v1 matchup against the rest of the cast, yeah?

If a character has a positive/advatageous match up against the rest of the cast? Top Tier. Bad matchups across the board? Bottom Tier. It's simple like that. No need to take into account multiple kits (or movesets), different stages or anything of the sort. Just straight up character vs character scenario, so a single ranking in this case makes a lot of sense.

When it comes to Splatoon, a simple tier list that ranks every weapon in a single letter ranking system like this just doesn't say enough about the weapons and why they are good or not, since there is much more than one factor to take into consideration... more than just their 1v1 capability against every other weapon.. you would also need to take these other factors in for every kit...
-Their painting capability (obviously enough)
and -The versatility of the weapon (e.g weapons that can work with less support than others)

This brings in my point. We don't HAVE to use a letter rank tier list for this game. Tag team fighters like Marvel vs. Capcom or DragonBall FighterZ use a different kind of tier list because the game works with teams of 3 characters instead of 1v1's.
For those who don't know how these work, you're fighting on the field with one character, but the 2 others you picked are on the sidelines and you can call them in for an assist move.

So when tier lists are made for those games people need to consider the 1v1 matchup of each character, but also their assist move. For example a character can be top tier and pretty much the best at 1v1 fights but have a bad assist, and vice versa. Someone can be low tier but have the best assist in the game, opening up many options when it comes to building your team.

Instead of a single letter, they use a chart like this, since it takes into account every character's assists. This kind of graph gives people a clearer perspective than a single rank of where a character stands and it helps more when it comes to building a ''top tier'' team.

So we can come and apply this concept with Splatoon and our 3 factors. We could use a similar chart for the factors I listed above and place the weapons accordingly.
Then you can pick and adjust team compositions to get the most complete or balanced comp.

Splatoon 2 specifically is a special case though, since at this point in time the game is very well balanced and I wouldn't go as far to say there are ''unviable'' or ''unusable'' weapons. Everything is viable here, but with so many weapons there's bound to be kits that are outclassed. Things like the Sploosh-o-Matic or Mini Splatling can still do their thing, but they need much more support than the other weapons that outclasses them.
(which would make those weapons ''low tier'')

TL;DR, Single letter ranks don't work for this game because there is more than one factor to consider and a chart like this gives you a much clearer perspective on where a weapon stands.

If you took the time to read all of this, I say, thank you for making it this far, I hope you appreciate this idea and feel free to discuss!

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Will this world never cease to amaze me? A three-dimensional chart?!

No, be still my beating heart!

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
So... with that tier list coming out, I'll just come out myself and say it... Tier lists like those DON'T WORK for Splatoon

When you take a tier list in a game like Street Fighter, Smash Bros, or any other 1v1 fighter, there's only one thing they need to take into consideration, and it's a character's 1v1 matchup against the rest of the cast, yeah?

If a character has a positive/advatageous match up against the rest of the cast? Top Tier. Bad matchups across the board? Bottom Tier. It's simple like that. No need to take into account multiple kits (or movesets), different stages or anything of the sort. Just straight up character vs character scenario, so a single ranking in this case makes a lot of sense.

When it comes to Splatoon, a simple tier list that ranks every weapon in a single letter ranking system like this just doesn't say enough about the weapons and why they are good or not, since there is much more than one factor to take into consideration... more than just their 1v1 capability against every other weapon.. you would also need to take these other factors in for every kit...
and -The versatility of the weapon (e.g weapons that can work with less support than others)

This brings in my point. We don't HAVE to use a letter rank tier list for this game. Tag team fighters like Marvel vs. Capcom or DragonBall FighterZ use a different kind of tier list because the game works with teams of 3 characters instead of 1v1's.
For those who don't know how these work, you're fighting on the field with one character, but the 2 others you picked are on the sidelines and you can call them in for an assist move.

So when tier lists are made for those games people need to consider the 1v1 matchup of each character, but also their assist move. For example a character can be top tier and pretty much the best at 1v1 fights but have a bad assist, and vice versa. Someone can be low tier but have the best assist in the game, opening up many options when it comes to building your team.

Instead of a single letter, they use a chart like this, since it takes into account every character's assists. This kind of graph gives people a clearer perspective than a single rank of where a character stands and it helps more when it comes to building a ''top tier'' team.

So we can come and apply this concept with Splatoon and our 3 factors. We could use a similar chart for the factors I listed above and place the weapons accordingly.
Then you can pick and adjust team compositions to get the most complete or balanced comp.

Splatoon 2 specifically is a special case though, since at this point in time the game is very well balanced and I wouldn't go as far to say there are ''unviable'' or ''unusable'' weapons. Everything is viable here, but with so many weapons there's bound to be kits that are outclassed. Things like the Sploosh-o-Matic or Mini Splatling can still do their thing, but they need much more support than the other weapons that outclasses them.

TL;DR, Single letter ranks don't work for this game because there is more than one factor to consider and a chart like this gives you a much clearer perspective on where a weapon stands.

If you took the time to read all of this, I say, thank you for making it this far, I hope you appreciate this idea and feel free to discuss!
I couldn't have said this better and agree 100000000000000%. Only problem: holographs aren't exactly everywhere yet.

Cephalobro

Finally back from my break of Splatoon 2 and I have to say, I like The Reef better than what it was before. I'm glad the spawn-camping problem is fixed, no more anyone being able to easily lock the other team to their Spawn Point.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233

This is interesting read, I have been gone the ast few days trying thanks to smash world of light and trying to get inkling to elite.
So cause of this I been dealing with everyone ridiculous tier list and some of the bias that comes with it.
So here is my opinions on the subject

So I do agree with what you are saying, have a 3 dimensional tier list would be greatly more effcetive however I feel for splatoon 2 there need to be in fact two lists for splatoon or a braching list to help actually keep track of meta
The list you brought out is a great list cause it help primarily with composition which is indeed a big factor of splatoon.

However I feel there needs to be a seperate list which maps out which modes weapons are most effective in cause a weapon synergy might be great on Rainmaker, but might fail or be considered terrible in a mode like Splatzones or CB
It would still be the same set up but maybe inversed so weapons balanced across all mode are closer to the center

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Do we have any clue when the Splatoon 2 and Octo Expansion art books release in English? I only just realized how much juicy info the first book had. Also, it's in Japanese already, so why hasn't anyone translated it yet?

Ansible

Community Ambassador
If the Splatoon 1 at book is anything to go by in regards to their publication dates... two years?

Which means we could have the Splatoon 2 at book some time this year... maybe?

Cephalobro

If the Splatoon 1 at book is anything to go by in regards to their publication dates... two years?

Which means we could have the Splatoon 2 at book some time this year... maybe?
The Splatoon 2 Artbook have at least 380 pages, so that might take a little longer for it to be translated compared to the Splatoon 1 Artbook, but the Octo Expansion Artbook has at least 272 pages, so that might be a little bit quicker to get done.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
"Before Splatoon was released, the Squid Sisters were not idols, but were instead planned to be "shrine maidens." They were meant to transmit divine messages from God to the Inklings. This is why they were in charge of receiving and announcing Splatfests in the first game"

What is this and is it canon? I found it on inkipedia...

Ansible

Community Ambassador
In a way, yeah. There are interviews for both games that mention the idols perform both a pop idol & shrine priestess-like role in-universe.

And now that you bring it up, the Calamari Inkantation can be considered not just a song but a ritual incantation--meaning the octolings that heard it were, in a sense, exorcized.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
So, we've established that Main weapon tier lists are irrelevant, but SUB tier lists, however...
tier.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom