Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
You can't use money to add slots? That's very unfortunate, I wonder why they removed that feature...
I guess to make Snails more valuable, though they were already worth 30k each. Thankfully I found that Judd gives you a snail after each level up after 30. However if you don't get the snail before you level up again it's gone for good. Already missed the snails from 31 n 32. =(

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
By the way noticed something pretty werid and unique, but I enemy burst bombs seem to habe a huge wind box on them at close range.

It especially has a weird effect on carbon rollers, cause them to drift about good foot or two away from the person. It also serve to be funny cause the 1st time it looked like I just flew into another enemy to splat them

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I haven't had many battles with them, but in every match involving a dynamo except for one, it lost the match. When I was against it, I could actually approach, and splat them as it was intended. No more weird laggy swings, no more trades that feel like I should have won, it feels right. For better or for worse (let's be real, it's for worse regarding the weapon itself), it was remade to function as the devs originally intended. A slow, heavy, long range roller that guzzled ink. And from what I can tell, that's a really bad weapon idea when put into practice.

Either way, I think the game is much more fun and healthier without the Splatoon 1 dynamos. Call me salty and bitter, but they were just broken in the first game for anyone not using a super long range weapon. The devs probably looked at the feedback and play data of the first game, and they knew they could not let the Splatoon 1 dynamo return.
Finally, vindication against all the squidboarders that liked to make excuses that dynamo was not broken and must be working the way it was intended :P

It's nice seeing inkbrush and aero actually be viable, and not seeing dynamos and lunas everywhere.

Award

Okay, so maybe I've just never known this, or maybe it's new. Have chargers always been able to snipe THROUGH people? I just played a game where I sniped a guy who was right in my face, and the shot CONTINUED and splatted someone else who was all the way across the stage. Tested it out in the test area and yep, the shot can go through targets and splat two enemies in the same line.
Am I just incredibly slow, haha? I get the feeling this has always been around and I've just never had it happen.
Actually I'm pretty sure it worked that way in S1 too. At least early on it did, maybe they nerfed it out later. But I distinctly remember early on in my eliter carreer taking out 2 squids in a single shot a number of times. Especially in TC.

the

Inkling Commander
Has anyone checked if you can hear ominous yells and creaking after you beat bosses in this game, like in splatoon 1?

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
@SquidKid85
To provide you with some comfort the saddest song ever played on a tiny violin

Also for those of without a Switch just heard that Alpharad is doing a Switch giveaway

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
@SquidKid85
To provide you with some comfort the saddest song ever played on a tiny violin

Also for those of without a Switch just heard that Alpharad is doing a Switch giveaway
Ya, saw that. I'd enter but I'd have to make a Twitter account (which I don't need) and the chances of winning (with already 50,000+ entries last time I checked) are so low it's just not worth it. Especially when I'm basically $10 + tax away from having enough.

YarnDrawcia

Full Squid
I lack a Switch and a copy of Splatoon 2 as well, but I'll try to look around on YouTube to see if anyone had recorded what occurs if you linger after defeating a boss.

Coricus

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4794-7152-2904
I've heard some complaining about Shifty Station not being added to the normal rotation before, but the more I look at it the more it seems like every asset was recycled from Octo Canyon. I went to go get some Sunken Scrolls and Sardinium I missed and I saw the stars, space background, and floating buildings in three separate maps. The general layout also gives the feeling of stock parts being rearranged.

I think it's actually appropriate as a Splatfest only stage, it recycles too much to function as it's own entity but as a quick experiment that pops up once a month with recycled bits and pieces from single player it's a cute little gimmick. And it speaks to how pretty yet overlooked the single player levels are that not many people seem to have even noticed the asset recycling.

tanzinyagrill

Inkling
The Dynamo nerfs strike me as excessive, even more so than all others. Do I think Splatoon 1 Dynamo was busted? Probably, it was fine after updates ended but that was only because of some tacked on nerfs. I sometimes still felt like I got undeserved kills, and it wasn't a weapon fit for the new game. Splatoon 2 Dynamo just feels completely useless. I have zero qualms with the vertical flick but I barely seem to cover any ground or get kills, even in Turf War against tunnel visioning Aerosprayers. I believe there is a line between 'broken' and 'completely useless' that Nintendo once again missed with the Dynamo. I feel like the lessened OHKO range makes sense, but it was taken too far, I can barely outrange anything in practice. The coverage nerf was entirely unnecessary, and unneeded with the OHKO range decrease already there. A buff to it could give Dynamo its area denial back without just spelling death for anyone in front of it.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Has anyone checked if you can hear ominous yells and creaking after you beat bosses in this game, like in splatoon 1?
I've heard them faintly in one or two boss stages, but not the others. At least, as far as I know.
Before the cutscene into the final boss fight, you can hear chanting of the boss intro theme.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
Yes. Oddly enough, they actually updated the original SFX slightly.

Wow...nice. Interesting as ever...I like how they added those japanese drums to it (the name slips me, but I'm sure people know what drums on speaking about).

Now all we need to wait for is that Museum d'Alfonsino map to be brought back, and see if the statue there still emits a noise.

Last edited:

Sabeta

Inkster Jr.
New here and I didn't want to make a thread for a potentially simple question.

I never played Splatoon 1 and I'm currently learning about Gear Abilities. I've got the gist of it; a large is just a bit better than 3 smalls, diminishing returns exist and going higher than two larges or 6 smalls on one set gives very poor yields. I also know how to properly farm chunks, how brands function, and the Murch/Splatnet stuff.

My question is this; with the way diminishing returns works would it be better to stack 6 different abilities (ie: 3 different larges, and 3 different sets of 3 Smalls) or stack them up to the "soft cap" of 6 for 3 abilities (3 different sets of 1 large + 3 smalls) The main difference I see here is a matter of generalization versus specialization. In some games generalizing allows you to cover weak spots and stand tall against any foe, so that's considered optimal, but in others specialization allows such an edge over your opponents that your weakness disappears or you simply crush you foes before they can exploit it.

Visually
A - bbb
C - ddd
E - fff

vs

A - aaa
B - bbb
C - ccc

My INKlination is that a generalized set might be more valuable in solo play where you don't have well coordinated teammates, and a specialized set has greater value in competitive play where each member has a clearly defined roll to fill. If the answer is Weapon Specific I'll probably just make a new thread, but for now I primarily play fast shooty types like Dualies and N-Zap.

Maave

Inkling Commander
Has anybody noticed that you can see the Inkjets landing spot on your map? I think it has to be visible to your teammates.

A - aaa
B - bbb
C - ccc
I prefer this style because my weapons usually won't benefit from all the different abilities available. I usually have 3 or 4 different abilities (assuming all the gear is perfect and not random rolled crud).

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Has anybody noticed that you can see the Inkjets landing spot on your map? I think it has to be visible to your teammates
Yep. Haven't had enough time amid the frantic pace to properly look at it, but I think it might drain like a super jump meter too, so you'll know when they're returning.

And I should have not calculated the gear chunk grind, for myself, just unghnk! Building one piece of gear from scratch to have the same three subs requires 60 ability chunks total. Meaning you'd need 180 chunks to make a full three-piece outfit devoted to a single sub. (Y-Y) I'm not sure I want to calculate the amount of coins required for this...

That's certainly one way to encourage stat variety...

And borrowing @Sabeta's diagram, it'd be chunk cost cheaper to go:
Code:
1 - abc
2 - abc
3 - abc
for a total cost of 30 chunks per ability.

As for chunk grinding, if the splatfests are anything like the testfest, you can still talk to Murch during the concert for that gear scrub discount. And adding three slots to one-star gear should cost a fraction of the total exp required to max out three-star gear.

Feel free to correct me on any of this!

Now for Nintendo Switch: Splatoon 2, the-grindy-semi-MMORPG-edition!

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
Yep. Haven't had enough time amid the frantic pace to properly look at it, but I think it might drain like a super jump meter too, so you'll know when they're returning.
Wait...they "drain"? What's that?

Also, we saw Spyke in the last Splatoon 2 Direct, but has anyone seen him in game? If so, what does he do?

the

Inkling Commander
I dunno if it's just my luck, but I haven't seen ANY headgear with tenacity as its ability. Is it only on super-rare stuff, or is it not in the game yet?

Also, we saw Spyke in the last Splatoon 2 Direct, but has anyone seen him in game? If so, what does he do?
He's in a café window, just a background character afaik

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom